Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good/bad areas

• 02-11-2018 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey. I am new here and we are moving back to Ireland next week and want to move to Westmeath. We will be renting and our youngest kids are 7 & 9. The threads I can find are a couple of years old. Which are good/bad areas? I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Which town ya going to be near , Athlone or mullingar?
    Depends where work is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Raik

Probably Athlone but not ruling out Mullingar. Travelling up and down to Dublin for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

Mullingar is about 30 minutes nearer to Dublin by car, which will make a big difference if you are driving each day. Driving to central Dublin from either town on a daily basis, is not something I would jump into without a lot of consideration, it is not an easy commute. Citywest/edge of Dublin commute not as bad, but still long days.

Both towns have mostly good but a few bad estates, and a good variety of townlands and villages in the surrounding areas. It really depends on what you want and how much you have to spend.

If your commuting to Dublin for work I would be avoiding Athlone for sure, good bit further down. Mullingar is an ok commute but maybe look at Kinnegad or Rochfortbridge. Might be cheaper houses and similar distance to Dublin.

We have about €1200 pm but need a 4 bed house. Are there any at that price in Mullingar?
    Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement

Raik wrote: »
    We have about €1200 pm but need a 4 bed house. Are there any at that price in Mullingar?
    Thanks for all the help

You might get one.
    Maybe try daft.ie
    Wouldn’t rule out towns that I’ve mentioned

2 houses in Mulligar and nothing in our price range in Kinnegad or Rochforthbridge. So it looks like we have to look at Athlone.
    Any areas to avoid?

Raik wrote: »
    2 houses in Mulligar and nothing in our price range in Kinnegad or Rochforthbridge. So it looks like we have to look at Athlone.
    Any areas to avoid?

Wouldn’t be as familiar with Athlone unfortunately.
    But try areas nearer mullingar than Athlon for a Dublin commute.
    Even Kilbeggan or Moate.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

don't forget the train service from mullingar into Connolly
    tax saver ticket is a big saving rather than driving every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

I'd avoid willow park for flooding and student reasons. Try and find somewhere up a hill if you can.

I'd still look at some of the smaller areas near mullingar if you'll be driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Might be an idea to look out the Longford road from mullingar. Would be an easier commute than from athlone. You should get decent value in say edgeworthstown, not a huge distance from mullingar. Or out the castlepollard road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Commuting in and out of Dublin is an absolute nightmare. It might be worth getting onto another topic on the forum and get people's opinions. I have done it for the last 3 years and couldn't hack it any more.

Traffic regularly took 2-3 hours home in the evening. Last train to Mullingar is at 7 so you can't work late.

It may make you change your mind about the location. I got a job back in Athlone and wouldn't go back to Dublin. I now avoid Dublin like the plague. It use to be a great city but it just has outgrown itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Ill be commuting to Galway from Athlone, can you guys give me any heads on good areas to live in or areas to stay away from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ill be commuting to Galway from Athlone, can you guys give me any heads on good areas to live in or areas to stay away from
    Monksland would probably be the handiest for commuting as it's the furthest West junction.

flazio wrote: »
    Monksland would probably be the handiest for commuting as it's the furthest West junction.

Thanks Flazio :) any estates with a bad rep? looking at something around the 200,000 mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

What Part of Galway will you be working in ?

I live/work in Athlone and there are many people who work with me in Athlone who commute from areas such as Athenry/Tuam ,
    It is quicker and easier to drive to Athlone than get to the far side of Galway from Athenry/Tuam etc. due to horrendous Galway Traffic.

Also commuting from Athlone to Galway is very expensive if you are doing it 5 days a week.

TimHorton wrote: »
    What Part of Galway will you be working in ?

I live/work in Athlone and there are many people who work with me in Athlone who commute from areas such as Athenry/Tuam ,
    It is quicker and easier to drive to Athlone than get to the far side of Galway from Athenry/Tuam etc. due to horrendous Galway Traffic.

Also commuting from Athlone to Galway is very expensive if you are doing it 5 days a week.

Parkmore on Galway east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Parkmore on Galway east

Grand, so.

I do Athlone (Priory Park just barely on the East side of the N6 bridge) to Ballybrit on the other side of the racecourse.

40 minutes motorway + some variable time for the traffic jam at the Galway end (depending on the day/time/college timetable).

Suitable areas in Athlone - anything within minutes of the N6, apart from the student zone out at Willow Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Grand, so.

I do Athlone (Priory Park just barely on the East side of the N6 bridge) to Ballybrit on the other side of the racecourse.

40 minutes motorway + some variable time for the traffic jam at the Galway end (depending on the day/time/college timetable).

Suitable areas in Athlone - anything within minutes of the N6, apart from the student zone out at Willow Park.

Not quite Grand so .... Parkmore is a nightmare for traffic.
    Are you going to be in East or West Parkmore? Even though they are right beside each other there can be a big difference in traffic getting out in the evenings.
    Start times can affect your route into Galway too as traffic starts to build up on the motorway just after the Oranmore exit

• Advertisement

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Start times can affect your route into Galway too as traffic starts to build up on the motorway just after the Oranmore exit

Leave at that exit and come in the airport road - did that today myself @ 8.30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

For commuting to Dublin drive to Kinnegad and get Kearns bus.

budgemook wrote: »
    For commuting to Dublin drive to Kinnegad and get Kearns bus.

How long does it roughly take? thanks:)

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Not quite Grand so .... Parkmore is a nightmare for traffic.
    Are you going to be in East or West Parkmore? Even though they are right beside each other there can be a big difference in traffic getting out in the evenings.

Parkmore west.

Grand, so.

Il be in parkmore west business park so 40mins on the M6 sounds good, this is why i want to buy in Athlone its location is great between Galway and Dublin central to Tullamore, Ballinsloe, Mullingar, Portlaoise, Roscommon and Longford. Is there any other area in Athlone apart from Willow park best avoid??? Thanks for your help so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

How long does it roughly take? thanks:)

When the kids are off school you'd be on the quays in Dublin in an hour. The rest of the time it's around 1 hour 20. It's far quicker and cheaper than bus eireann. Parking used to be an issue but there's a new carpark in Kinnegad now that commuters can use.

I was commuting for 6 months from Mullingar - it was a bit tough but if I had to drive up and down every day I don't think I would have been able to handle it.

budgemook wrote: »
    When the kids are off school you'd be on the quays in Dublin in an hour. The rest of the time it's around 1 hour 20. It's far quicker and cheaper than bus eireann. Parking used to be an issue but there's a new carpark in Kinnegad now that commuters can use.

I was commuting for 6 months from Mullingar - it was a bit tough but if I had to drive up and down every day I don't think I would have been able to handle it.

Wow thats great time better then i was excepting thanks for the information really appreciate it. :)

Il be in parkmore west business park so 40mins on the M6 sounds good, this is why i want to buy in Athlone its location is great between Galway and Dublin central to Tullamore, Ballinsloe, Mullingar, Portlaoise, Roscommon and Longford. Is there any other area in Athlone apart from Willow park best avoid??? Thanks for your help so far :)

Why would being central to "Tullamore, Ballinsloe, Mullingar, Portlaoise, Roscommon and Longford" be a consideration with the exception of course being you need to visit a hospital.. I can think of no other reason to go to any of those towns .

Why would being central to "Tullamore, Ballinsloe, Mullingar, Portlaoise, Roscommon and Longford" be a consideration with the exception of course being you need to visit a hospital.. I can think of no other reason to go to any of those towns .

Work Options/opportunities there is more then just me to consider if i moved somewhere like Dingle there would be a huge difference.

• Advertisement

Work Options/opportunities there is more then just me to consider if i moved somewhere like Dingle there would be a huge difference.

Guessing the Other Half is a teacher or nurse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Grand, so.

I do athlone west to Ballybrit daily, it's become a horrible drive the last 12 month's.
    No IT work in Athlone does not help.

I do athlone west to Ballybrit daily, it's become a horrible drive the last 12 month's.
    No IT work in Athlone does not help.

What type of IT Work ?

What type of IT Work ?

Infrastructure support, helpdesk support.
    Junior sysadmin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cause Athlone is a dump maybe? :p

What type of IT Work ?

Got any jobs going? Lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement