Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland (Gas) charging for other persons arrears

Options
  • 02-11-2018 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Hi,

I have discovered, a long time after I opened an account with Electric Ireland for gas, that they have been deducting money from me for arrears that were caused by a different person, on an account in a different name.

Backstory: I moved into a rented house, and the landlord was just installing a pre-pay gas meter as the previous tenant (who had moved out) wasn't up to date with billing. So I put my name on the new pre-pay account, and continued merrily.

4 years later, I switch to a different pre-pay provider (Pre-Pay Power), and my final bill for the gas shows that i owe Electric Ireland 133 for gas !

I thought this must be a mistake, as its a pre-pay meter. When I rang Electric Ireland they confirmed that my account was in debt, from the very beginning, and I had always had deductions from the gas every time I topped it up. I'll confess that I never paid too close attention to the meter when I topped it up, but if you are buying gas its cold and you are outside so its understandable.

I am waiting for Electric Ireland to send me a full account history in paper (as their online system only goes back 2 or so years). In the meantime could anyone here tell me whether they have any experience with this sort of issue ?

I am not the previous account holder. I did not live in the house then. I never consented to paying someone else's debt. If they wish to pursue that debt they can send that person letters, but I don't see why I am liable for that debt.

And before anyone says it, yes I know prepay meters are worse in almost every conceivable way. Its a rented house, cant get it changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Key meters.
    When you put the account in your name you should always ring the provider with the meter reading. You will have to wait a few hours for the system to update with zero outstanding and then buy a new key card. Activate it and then put money on it.

You were using the previous tenants card and as they have moved house they are using the same account as on the card. You are effectively paying the bill for the tenants new property as well as paying any debt on the account.

I don't know how you can prove what is your bill and what is the previous tenants. Did you keep all your receipts for the money paid on the card? If you have you can prove what you paid. The company can see what your usage is in your house and what you have paid.
    I would put everything in writing. Put a copy of the receipts in and ask for a refund for the overpayment. They should under freedom of information give you a list of payments made.You have to wait for a reply. If no joy you can contact the regulator.

Instead of putting a key meter in ask for a payment card instead of a key meter and every week put money on it. When the bill comes in you should have most of it paid. A lot cheaper.

• had this trouble before. They asked me for a letter from the landlord to state the move in date & confirm the previous tenant had nothing to do with me and we did not live together. EI assume that if you were both living in the house at any time together you both share liability.

Advertisement