Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland (Gas) charging for other persons arrears

Options
  • 02-11-2018 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I have discovered, a long time after I opened an account with Electric Ireland for gas, that they have been deducting money from me for arrears that were caused by a different person, on an account in a different name.

Backstory: I moved into a rented house, and the landlord was just installing a pre-pay gas meter as the previous tenant (who had moved out) wasn't up to date with billing. So I put my name on the new pre-pay account, and continued merrily. 

4 years later, I switch to a different pre-pay provider (Pre-Pay Power), and my final bill for the gas shows that i owe Electric Ireland 133 for gas ! 

I thought this must be a mistake, as its a pre-pay meter. When I rang Electric Ireland they confirmed that my account was in debt, from the very beginning, and I had always had deductions from the gas every time I topped it up. I'll confess that I never paid too close attention to the meter when I topped it up, but if you are buying gas its cold and you are outside so its understandable. 

I am waiting for Electric Ireland to send me a full account history in paper (as their online system only goes back 2 or so years). In the meantime could anyone here tell me whether they have any experience with this sort of issue ? 

I am not the previous account holder. I did not live in the house then. I never consented to paying someone else's debt. If they wish to pursue that debt they can send that person letters, but I don't see why I am liable for that debt. 

And before anyone says it, yes I know prepay meters are worse in almost every conceivable way. Its a rented house, cant get it changed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Could you check with the landlord regarding the installation of the Pay As You Go gas meter for managing the previous tenant's balance? As this is not generally a standard practice - usually PAYG installation for management of a debt takes place while the customer is registered rather than after they move out.

Also, if a customer has not topped up the gas meter for a significant period of time (for example the summer months), when they top up next, their payment will be deducted for arrears because of the standing charges that have accrued on the meter since it was last topped up.

If you have not done so, we recommend also putting your query to the Credit Control team - they have a dedicated telephone line for gas related queries, which is 01 8035180, and they are open until 4pm.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement