Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotmail..outlook

Options
  • 02-11-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,

what has happened? Has a bomb gone off.

I've had a Hotmail account for god knows, 20 years maybe. I sign in every day. there's been tweaks here and there over the years, I don't like most off them but you get over it .
    However I just signed in and it looks like a completely different world, what is going on. Is it this thing called outlook??? .
    its just awful. the whole screen is taken up by , what can i say, JUNK. theres different months showng and God knows what else. I hardly know where to start.

And I wonder about that option that they last introduced that you had to select everytime you logged in to be 'invisible. are we not invisible anymore ,and if not who is seeing us.

Looks like the worst thing ever in the history of emaills accounts,
    I always just wanted a simple electronic letter box. its not that anymore.
    livid.
    I'll go back to it now to see if I can sort out what is what. its my main bloody email account so I cant get away from it. f..K 'em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Microsoft released the final version of Hotmail in October 2011 and it was replaced by Outlook.com in 2013.

You need to move with the times OP.

Hotmail was a ****show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Also, for a few years now, you can set up aliases within your email. So you can claim a few address without having to set up a new account. I changed from hotmail.com to outlook.com a few years ago, but still get anything sent to my hotmail.com address. Think live.ie is also available. It's all the same mailbox, just different addresses.

For your problem, you can usually mess around with the views to get it how you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Looks like the worst thing ever in the history of emaills accounts,
    I always just wanted a simple electronic letter box. its not that anymore.
    livid.

Do you want to get at it on a laptop/desktop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm still on Hotmail address too. In the past few months the junk mail filter seems to have gone rogue. It lables the majority of my mail as junk, including stuff from my contacts. It's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You can use any email address as basic send / receive service by setting up your account within a mail app (eg Gmail app) on phone / tablet. Depending on the provider (hotmail, yahoo etc) you may need to allow third party app access by logging in through a browser but once that's done you don't need to use a browser, just use the app.

Just make sure that you set up a recovery address or mobile number because if you don't log in via a browser for a long time, they might prompt for secondary authentication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

after signing in (with my password) i try to go to privacy settings to see if theres anything In might use there and they ask you to use your password 'again' to get in. ..I mean, I already used it to get this far!. so I do anyway..then they ask for the registered phone number ......security gone mad.
    so what If I no longer have that phone number..its lost or gone..what happens then ,am I locked out forever.

All I ever wanted was a simple electonic letter box. you shouldnt have to keep up with the times. My letterbox in my front door had served me very well for 30 years with no tinkering around with it. lets get coffee. f #em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If you go to the next step, does it ask if you still have access to the number and give an option to update with an alternative number or email address?

If it does then it might allow update of a secondary verification email address. The only slight catch is that it may freeze the security settings for a month but you will still have access to your emails as normal.

That's how it worked a year ago, it may have changed since.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just move to Gmail - its miles better. They have a tool to migrate you over and import your mail.

Advertisement