Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other Voices 2019

Options
  • 02-11-2018 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody got info on this year's Other Voices in Dingle?
    Usually the 1st weekend in December, but we're only 4 weeks from that now with no announcements made yet, I know Eir pulled out of being sponsors so maybe that's having an effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Other Voices is a unique event, often referred to as a 'musical pilgrimage', where audiences and performers alike flock to the beautiful town of Dingle in the depths of winter. We are delighted to announce that Other Voices will return to Dingle 30th November - 2nd of December for a weekend of magic, with songs for the head and heart.

This year, we are introducing a registration charge of €30. By registering for Other Voices, you will be ensuring that Other Voices returns to Dingle for another year of magic.

This December, over 100 gigs and talks will take place over three days in Dingle. While we have some sponsors and we are very grateful to those, it only part-funds the weekend. The registration fee will go towards ensuring we run an event that meets the highest standards for all attendees.

All attendees who register in advance will have their names entered into a draw to win tickets to St. James' Church, win signed Other Voices posters, win tickets for Ireland's Edge, win Other Voices merchandise and much more. See eventbrite for full list of prizes.

Gigs in the following venues on the Music Trail will only be accessible by those who have registered and collected their wristband in the Other Voices Hub:

An Diseart // An Chonair // Nelliefreds // McCarthy’s

Back with more news next week.
    See you all soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Juanner

Here you go. Includes a €30 registration fee.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/other-voices-2018-registration-registration-51823324960

Other Voices was never the same once it was expanded to all the pubs in the area. I get why they did it and don't blame them at all but, for me, it was never as good. I'm sure others probably disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

So a 30euro raffle ticket basically.

Anybody buying?

I have no problem paying 30 euro to support this festival tbh, the other raffle draws are a nice bonus.
    It's obvious that sponsors pulling out late has hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I have no problem paying 30 euro to support this festival tbh, the other raffle draws are a nice bonus.
    It's obvious that sponsors pulling out late has hurt them.

Would you be happy if you didn't get a ticket for any performance after paying 30euro though?

I think the tried and tested model of selling tickets to an event where customers know who they're going to see is pretty good.

• Advertisement

Would you be happy if you didn't get a ticket for any performance after paying 30euro though?

I think the tried and tested model of selling tickets to an event where customers know who they're going to see is pretty good.

Yeah based my last couple years experiences for free, I'd have no problem donating to the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Bought a wristband for this and happened to find some sort of accommodation.

I presume the wristband is actually needed to see some of the gigs? Also that there is zero chance of actually getting into the church?

30 for just the raffle thing is a rip off somewhat

EDIT: I see they say the wristband gets you in to certain gigs but actual places are not guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I don't mind paying the 30 bucks at all. I'm surprised they're able to run the festival on sponsorship alone. I've been down the last two years and it seems like a fairly large, well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

I hope that they pay all the artists who play.

Peter File wrote: »
    I hope that they pay all the artists who play.

Confused at this, do artists go down expecting to be paid and then not get paid? very bad form if so.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm surprised they struggle to get sponsorship, but also surprised they agreed to go with Eir as a title sponsor. AFAIK private donations / investment makes up a big part of the budget. Once they start relying solely on sponsors, the hipsters will move onto something else :pac:

OV don't pay acts who appear on the bill, it's a common criticism. It's a bit akin to giving the band stage time, bringing punters in and not paying them because of the "exposure' they get.

Yeah I guessed that was the case, are the bands being forced to play?

Advertisement