Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are foreign women more approachable than Irish girls?

Comments

greenspurs wrote: »
    So you are outraged then? Or just standing up for all women? or just a bit paranoid?
    Irish woman had the Irish men to themselves for so long without any fear of women from foreign countries 'taking their men' . Its now time for them to get out of their penneys track bottoms and see thru lycra leggings, ditch the pyjamas when walking to the shops .... Oh, and stop 'tanning' yourselves orange!!
    At least the steroids the Irish lads are taking to try be as buff as the foreign lads work !!

And then to further your point, you then turn it around on the men, and say its their fault ! :D :rolleyes:

When will the Irish mammies be outraged at being called irish mammies....

Do you know many Irish men that have settled down with the fabulous foreign girls that you refer to or do they end up coming back for one of us orange, pj wearing fatties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do you know many Irish men that have settled down with the fabulous foreign girls that you refer to or do they end up coming back for one of us orange, pj wearing fatties?

No....

Do you ? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

No....

Do you ? :rolleyes:

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yeah especially the Northside ones(Cork norries)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Nope.

Me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

And before the HashTaggers get on their high horse , you were the one that mentioned 'fatties' ..... not me .... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can relate to this, and I didn't even realise it until you said it, a lot of the time when you're speaking to a bloke in a bar or some other social setting the air is so laden with expectation that it's uncomfortable, like you can feel the pressure he's putting himself under to maintain the conversation or be funny.
    And add in drink on both sides and given most Irish women have this as their near constant experience from puberty, this does tend to make them more distant/uncomfortable/downright rude[delete as applicable] and the guys more reticent to start conversations and think more Irish women are standoffish when compared to some other cultures(the UK would be pretty much the same as here IME).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

So you are outraged then? Or just standing up for all women? or just a bit paranoid?
    Irish woman had the Irish men to themselves for so long without any fear of women from foreign countries 'taking their men' . Its now time for them to get out of their penneys track bottoms and see thru lycra leggings, ditch the pyjamas when walking to the shops .... Oh, and stop 'tanning' yourselves orange!!
    At least the steroids the Irish lads are taking to try be as buff as the foreign lads work !!

And then to further your point, you then turn it around on the men, and say its their fault ! :D :rolleyes:

You are very mean. It might be the steroids. How is anyone to see our lovely orange tans if we don't wear see-through clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Offended and outraged that men are being judged, then goes on to refer to the entire female population as orange, badly dressed, ugly monsters.
    Then goes on to defend the use of injecting illegal substances, because its just the men doing their best.
    Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Actually I said it's the fault of Irish society in general, but go on with your tangential raving.

I have no problem with Irish men dating foreign men or women, have at it I say, I'd be a hypocrite if I did have a problem with it as I tend to prefer foreign men myself.
    I've no idea where you're going with your ranting about tan, leggings and steroids (which are not advisable for young men looking to impress the ladies btw they lead to sad shrinkage of a vital organ ;) ) but off you pop!
    oh and as an aside all the foreign women I know LOOOOOOOVE Penneys!

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ok, I think I'm struggling to express myself a little. Apologies, it's not my first language.

What I'm trying to get across is that in Irish society, on a night out, there is little to no interaction between males and females other than rather obvious flirting.

In OTHER societies, there would be a lot of interaction between males and females, with no "ulterior" motives, and no actual flirting.

So when Irish men encounter non-Irish females from those societies, who will just walk up to them and chat with them the way they would with anyone else, the Irish man assumes they're being flirted with. In reality, the woman in question is not flirting, but just treating the man as she would any other new acquaintance, male or female.
    He also extrapolates from that that non-Irish women are easier to chat up.

Interestingly, this also made me feel on occasion that Irish men are way too intense. Not that surprising, if the only reason they'd start a conversation with a new female acquaintance is if they have sexual interest in her.

Are most schools in Germany coeducational/mixed male & female? According to this, all schools in East Germany were made coeducational in 1950. What's the percentage in all Germany today? Is the 'Catholic' south where the Centre Party was big in the 19th century more into single sex schools? According to this, one-third of all Irish secondary schools are single sex, which the article claims is above the international norm. Would you say this is one reason for the difference you perceive above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Zorya wrote: »
    You are very mean. It might be the steroids. How is anyone to see our lovely orange tans if we don't wear see-through clothes?

Those of us with Oompa Loompa fetishes appreciate it.

And before the HashTaggers get on their high horse , you were the one that mentioned 'fatties' ..... not me .... :rolleyes:

LOL. Sorry,let's just say us orange, pj wearing ladies, that changes the whole scenario then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It is? What religion are Brazilian folk predominantly?

Latin Americans are mostly Catholics but they are definitely more sexually open than Irish people and have been for generations.

Also, here in Colombia, there is no generally no religion in public schools. I don't know about Brazil but perhaps it is quite similar. Just because a country is mostly Catholic, it doesn't mean it shares our culture or history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Shenshen's observations are scarily accurate.
    The clique-ish Irish groups are really quite gender separated. Girls go on a night out with girls, lads go out with lads, end of.
    If there is a mixed groups it seems it's mainly because there's a couple or a few couples in it. As in the couple is the connecting point and even then it easily separates into a group of ladies and a group of lads.
    I'd know it more like there's just a group and you're all cool and you'd just talk to all of them equally and hang out with every one of them individually too. For example a birthday party, I'd invite my lady friends same as I'd invite my guy friends and everyone hangs out having a good time without there ever be the thought of shifting anyone since you're just being with good friends.

I also find it has a lot to do that you share a long history. Many people would still consider others their clostest friends because they went to school with or lived on the same street even though nowadays they wouldn't really meet up anymore. There's something like the "old" and "new" friends and I've heard many times that these groups often clash because some feel they have an obligation to please to please the old friends simply they know that person for so long.

I definitely find it not as easy-going and casual as elsewhere. But the people are nice once you get past the "lovely weather today"-stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Are most schools in Germany coeducational/mixed male & female? According to this, all schools in East Germany were made coeducational in 1950. What's the percentage in all Germany today? According to this, one-third of all Irish secondary schools are single sex, which the article claims is above the international norm. Would you say this is one reason for your perceived difference?

The vast majority are, yes. There are some grammar schools might still be all-girl or all-boy, usually run by the Catholic church, but they are very few and far between. All others are mixed.

But I'm not convinced that's the reason, given that I went to one of these all-girl Catholic grammar schools myself ;)
    If anything, I'd assume that the fact that most schools are co-educational is a result of the different interaction between male and female, not the cause.

Any guys I know in a relationship with a foreign woman relies on the language barrier and cultural differences to hide the fact that they are not very nice, arrogant, judgemental assh*les with bad attitudes.

This of course, is just my own experience, and does not refer to ALL men in relationships with foreign women.
    The guys I know would be of the opinion that Irish women are high maintenance, stuck up their own holes & a lot uglier than their continental counterparts, but the truth is, they could never get an Irish woman to stick around long enough to put up with their sh*t.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And add in drink on both sides and given most Irish women have this as their near constant experience from puberty, this does tend to make them more distant/uncomfortable/downright rude[delete as applicable] and the guys more reticent to start conversations and think more Irish women are standoffish when compared to some other cultures(the UK would be pretty much the same as here IME).

and all this builds to the aforementioned "forking b1tch" attack when one rejects the advances....I feel like I'm having one of those epiphanies where every interaction I've ever had in my life is making sense in a new way! :eek:

My jeans tighten when a girl gets her prose on.
    it's quite simply... being biologically inclined to enjoy throwing it into a female.

I think you have a future in writing romantic lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you know many Irish men that have settled down with the fabulous foreign girls that you refer
    Well I dunno about fabulous, :D but yeah, I do. Two of my non Irish exes got hitched to Irish guys, another is living with one. Another went back home and ended up meeting an Irish lad over there(can't escape the bastards :D) and that seems to be going OK last I heard. Among my friends, six are married to non Irish women(Czech, Russian, Thai(and no, she's not a mail order bride. Both the same age and her family is very wealthy), American, Chinese, French. Two cousins and a great uncle are married to non Irish women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

London and Edinburgh I could strike up conversation around lunchtime, just after getting to the pub and when drunk and had girls start chatting to me. Never happens here.

(Hur hur I hate Irish women etc. etc.)

I think you have a future in writing romantic lyrics.

Marquis de Sade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

What does it matter. Irish woman's are looking and behaving more and more like fat American woman's. They need some internet influencer to tell them to all get on a boat so we can torpedo it and start fresh.

We could probably get them all on the boat by saying there is a free doughnuts, leggings a penny's and an Inglot shotgun in every cabin.

Christ.
    Just before they start: you'll have loads of losers coming on here presently saying how awful Irish women are and how amazing their hot non-EU bird is. They're only where they are because the Irish women wouldn't go near them, and the supposedly amazing hot non-EU bird can see the benefit of EU citizenship. Shhh.

Anyway, continue.

Hun!!
    I actually think that's quite racist.

Stop that. Poster was just a tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bonkers thread. "foreign women"?? like foreign women from where?

North Korea, Saudi Arabia or the Isle of Mann?
    or somewhere between those three.

I'm all for vast sweeping generalisations, same as the next guy, but ffs, I need some scope.

Well I dunno about fabulous, :D but yeah, I do. Two of my non Irish exes got hitched to Irish guys, another is living with one. Another went back home and ended up meeting an Irish lad over there(can't escape the bastards :D) and that seems to be going OK last I heard. Among my friends, six are married to non Irish women(Czech, Russian, Thai(and no, she's not a mail order bride. Both the same age and her family is very wealthy), American, Chinese, French. Two cousins and a great uncle are married to non Irish women.

Can't argue with that,now are you saying that this is the norm in your opinion Wibbs?

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Any guys I know in a relationship with a foreign woman relies on the language barrier and cultural differences to hide the fact that they are not very nice, arrogant, judgemental assh*les with bad attitudes.
    ... The guys I know would be of the opinion that Irish women are high maintenance, stuck up their own holes & a lot uglier than their continental counterparts, but the truth is, they could never get an Irish woman to stick around long enough to put up with their sh*t.

hehe. Yes, somebody said it! Brilliant. They'll be fierce upset with that.

hehe. Yes, somebody said it! Brilliant. They'll be fierce upset with that.

Remember some of "they" will not be upset because it does not apply.

This of course, is just my own experience, and does not refer to ALL men in relationships with foreign women.
    The guys I know would be of the opinion that Irish women are high maintenance, stuck up their own holes & a lot uglier than their continental counterparts, but the truth is, they could never get an Irish woman to stick around long enough to put up with their sh*t.

Tell us how you really feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I know quite a few women who completely control men in their relationship. It's painful to watch and I hate the term 'she wears the trousers'.
    No one should control you, man or woman.
    Very common in this country. Happened a few friends, very sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

If we're conversing well? I dunno about you, but I need way more than that to be thinking of shaggage. TBH with me it's looks, what I find physically attractive comes first. Good conversation and intelligence most certainly adds to that and a gibbering eejit puts me off the boil, but I know within pretty much seconds whether I find someone sexually attractive or not. Even then I wouldn't switch to flirty mode unless it was contextual.

Fuck me! I have that complaint all the time S and it is my first language. :eek: :D

Agreed again. Even in places like Italy and Spain where the men can be bloody full on with the flirting with, even hassling women and not just at night, you also have groups, sometime quite large groups of men and women, attached and unattached hanging out together. That's the usual setup, to the degree that I've heard some non locals say that the locals are quite cliquey, because if you're not in the group it's hard to kick off conversation. Which I'd personally not agree with. Then again I'll put the talk on anyone and actually like talking with complete strangers, which to be fair most people aren't so comfortable with.

Spaniard here, where have you been harassed by spanish men during the day? I agree that some of us can be vultures (I hate it btw) but only when being out. I've had this conversation with other spanish people and they also agree.

Are you sure they weren't latin american or north african? (they tend to be waaay more aggressive when it comes to these kind of interactions)

Apart from that yeah, when out we are very social with other locals (dancing in groups, having a chat together, even with acquaintances you meet out by chance).

• Advertisement

Tell us how you really feel.

Lol, I did make it clear that its just my experience, I know it doesn't apply to ALL relationships.
    Unlike the many men here who have declared all Irish women to be fat, ugly, boring, sexually repressed, badly dressed morons.

Very common in this country. Happened a few friends, very sad to see.

Does that say more about your friends or the women.. Have the men no minds of their own?

Can we all at least just agree that foreign women here are more foreign than Irish women? Except when they are at home. Then any Irish women who are over there are the foreign women and this whole thesis becomes a lot more interesting....because then we would have to wonder if a foreign woman over there who is Irish is actually more approachable than an Irish girl?

de439c0952a1167e1615fc88e03d05f9a47e7992afe118fbcb937683d10be5ca.jpg

Lol, I did make it clear that its just my experience, I know it doesn't apply to ALL relationships.
    Unlike the many men here who have declared all Irish women to be fat, ugly, boring, sexually repressed, badly dressed morons.

There does not seem to be that many.

Can we all at least just agree that foreign women here are more foreign than Irish women? Except when they are at home. Then any Irish women who are over there are the foreign women and this whole thesis becomes a lot more interesting....because then we would have to wonder if a foreign woman over there who is Irish is actually more approachable than an Irish girl?

de439c0952a1167e1615fc88e03d05f9a47e7992afe118fbcb937683d10be5ca.jpg

The gash is always greener....sorry.

The gash is always greener....sorry.

Bahahahaha :D
    Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You had me at orange....

and all this builds to the aforementioned "forking b1tch" attack when one rejects the advances....I feel like I'm having one of those epiphanies where every interaction I've ever had in my life is making sense in a new way! :eek:
    :D There's a large aspect to it alright TB. Mostly the drink gets the blame and yes we can pack it away to the point of stupefaction, but other Europeans can pack it away too. Though they tend to go the spirits route more. I can say never go toe to toe with a French woman drinking wine... :) And the Swedish are mad for the gargle. Russians ditto.

It's less about the drink in my humble and more about what SS noted, the gender split in Irish groups when they're out of a night. I've been on the piss with a group of Italians numbering with comings and goings about 20 odd men and women. There were three couples in the bunch, the rest single and mingling and chatting. I've had similar experiences with Spanish, German and Czech groups in ages running from 20's to 30's. That's another thing I noticed more, couples and singles out for a night together. Here they tend to separate much more in my experience and if there are a couple of singles in the mix, quite a lot of the time it can be a "let's fix A and B up" thing going on.
    Can't argue with that,now are you saying that this is the norm in your opinion Wibbs?
    Oh it wouldn't be no DD. Maybe there's a birds of a feather thing going on? I also have two women cousins who married foreign men. :eek: Better yet I've a male cousin who plays for the other team and he's gone and married a foreign man after a ten year "Irish engagement". :eek::eek::D

Shenshen wrote: »
    But then surely that would hold true for both men and women? I have made a few female friends that are Irish, but not a single straight male friend.
    Now, ok, that might just be me, but all I can do on this subject is share personal experiences. I'd be very curious to hear from anyone who has made different experiences. Maybe I'm the one doing things wrong (that has happened before!)

And let's be clear, I'm in no way blaming Irish men for this. It takes both men and women to develop this kind of culture.

I'm thinking about this now and I'd say that's true for me too and I grew up here!
    I've made a few what I thought were really good friendships with Irish blokes in different jobs over the years but they've all sooner or later dropped the "i really like you" bomb on me and when I didn't reciprocate, boom we were no longer friends.
    I have however made friends with plenty of women and if anything my social circle has grown a lot since secondary school/college, but the only male friendships I've made who I remain friends with are from America (North and South) and the Middle East!

Shenshen, you've blown my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Irish guys have the weird looking d!cks also, the furrin women probably luve them for the novelty, texting all their mates saying 'you never guess what I saw'.....'yes, just like you heard about'.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    You had me at orange....

Are you "approaching" me or is that just friendly chat? 😜

Irish men are more popular with foreigners than Irish women. I don't think that can be disputed. I see many more Irish men with foreign women than the opposite. Plus being Irish itself with the accent etc gets you bonus points with most foreign women.

I won't make any negative comments on Irish women, because I will be attacked. But I suppose some of them are a good laugh and can have the same sense of humour. Plus we have the same upbringing and understand the country that bit better, counts for something. I was dating a foreign women recently, she didn't even know what the GAA was, and she'd be living here a few years. It's not that important but there are other cultural differences that come into play that you might not think of beforehand.

juanjo wrote: »
    Spaniard here, where have you been harassed by spanish men during the day?
    Well given I'm a hairy arsed and faced bloke, I wouldn't be the target for Spanish men. :D In my experience Spanish lads certainly wouldn't be as "bad" as some Italian men, who can be extremely forward, but they'd be more forward than Irish men.

I won't make any negative comments on Irish women, because I will be attacked. But I suppose some of them are a good laugh and can have the same sense of humour. Plus we have the same upbringing and understand the country that bit better, counts for something. I was dating a foreign women recently, she didn't even know what the GAA was, and she'd be living here a few years.
    TBH that would be and always was a big draw for me with a non Irish woman. Some, if not most folks naturally enough prefer common cultural points, but I don't. I prefer the differences.

Does that say more about your friends or the women.. Have the men no minds of their own?
    I agree. It will never happen me. But I've seen supposed "hardmen" turned into timid mice by Irish women. Frightening sight to see.

I'm thinking about this now and I'd say that's true for me too and I grew up here!
    I've made a few what I thought were really good friendships with Irish blokes in different jobs over the years but they've all sooner or later dropped the "i really like you" bomb on me and when I didn't reciprocate, boom we were no longer friends.
    I have however made friends with plenty of women and if anything my social circle has grown a lot since secondary school/college, but the only male friendships I've made who I remain friends with are from America (North and South) and the Middle East!

Shenshen, you've blown my mind!

Actually that is quite a sad part of life. One that I have noted. Over the years I have had a small number of really good male friends, of whom I was very fond for so many of their qualities. I have three brothers so I enjoy male company, their general life approach, humour, intelligence etc and am at ease as I was a big sister to so many boys. And there has then sometimes come this time when some kind of move is made, and it doesn't meet it mark because that is never what the relationship was. After that there is the dreadful and inevitable falling away by them into whatever is the opposite of affection on their parts. That is a lonely feeling, a sort of bereavement of friendship. In fact, sometimes, and I hate this jaded part of me, if I am fortunate enough to make a good male friend now I sometimes wonder if and how long before the affection sours. It would be good if men and women could genuinely just be friends more often. As friends we are good for each other.

Well given I'm a hairy arsed and faced bloke, I wouldn't be the target for Spanish men. :D In my experience Spanish lads certainly wouldn't be as "bad" as some Italian men, who can be extremely forward, but they'd be more forward than Irish men.

You might call it forward but sometimes it's downright sleazy and a major turn off so it will achieve the opposite reaction to the desired one imo. Give me a non "forward" man any day tbh.

TBH that would be and always was a big draw for me with a non Irish woman. Some, if not most folks naturally enough prefer common cultural points, but I don't. I prefer the differences.
    I can understand that. It's nice and interesting to learn about different cultures. There can be also a different dating etiquette to deal with. Another issue can be visas/residency if they aren't from the EU. The girl I dated had her visa running down and issues there trying to stay.

Also many foreign women come to this country for college or work for a few years and then they are leaving again to go home within a few years or less. Another foreign woman I went on a date with had a poor grasp of the English language. Some how I didn't notice when messaging her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No what's tiresome, monotonous and boring is constantly seeing threads where Irish women are basically lambasted for not being as flirtatious/good looking/thin/as good at making sandwiches as foreign women. When actually the Irish lads levelling these accusations could do with a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

We all get more attention abroad, or from people who view us as exotic. That's not news or unique to men.
    I love speaking to foreign men, they have a much easier charm and sensuality about them especially Mediterranean or Latin men, don't get me wrong all the men I've ever really loved were Irish men, but all of my favourite dalliances have been with foreign men. Foreign men are also much more straightforward, approachable, and into making the approach than Irish men. They don't need buckets of Dutch courage to try and start a conversation, I've also never had a foreign bloke call me a "forking b1tch" when I declined his advances.
    IMO It's pretty safe to say that Irish people in general are terrible at flirting and with the opposite sex. Yet there's innumerable threads here that could basically be titled "women, amirite?" when actually it's an evenly dispersed problem among Irish men and women.

I'm sorry but that's a load of nonsense.

Most Irish men don't give a toss about any of that, most are not that shallow.

You're always going to get pigs, who haven't a word in their head unless they have gallons of porter in them on a night out, but that comes with the territory, plenty foreign lads can be piggish too, believe me I've seen it.

I don't want to go over more tedious gender war nonsense but the OP's original question was are foreign woman more approachable than Irish girls and they patently are.

Most Irish women are pretty conservative, even in 2018. I've always found foreign woman a lot more easy to talk to in general day to day life and especially in night life. I would guess that's most Irish men's opinion too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

cgcsb wrote: »
    Irish guys have the weird looking d!cks also, the furrin women probably luve them for the novelty, texting all their mates saying 'you never guess what I saw'.....'yes, just like you heard about'.

I think a lot of us would just find that so incredibly funny.

Advertisement