Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband in Limerick City these days

• 02-11-2018 12:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It’s been a decade since I have had to change broadband provider so have no idea who is reliable these days.

I live in City Centre and I can get all the major providers in my apartment. Are there any I should avoid due to known issues with poor service etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hey

I find that Virgin is by far the (their highest GB offering) fastest...
    Their TV box is appalling tho, not a patch on SKYQ.
    Never had an issue with connecting or speed tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Virgin Media by far. The TV is woeful but there's a new version coming out sometime next year which should hopefully make it as usual as Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Avoid eir like the plague awful modem and nonexistent customer service.
    Sky good equipment and service.
    Virgin usually fastest connection find their modem to be hit and miss but nothing the odd soft reset doesn't sort

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

If you're in a SIRO area, then that would be the best. There's 2 carriers at least on it in Limerick, Digiweb and Vodafone.

Check siro.ie with your eircode.

See this thread here if you're lucky enough to have SIRO:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108434866&postcount=106

gigabit BB with Vodafone on 12 month contract for an average of 40 euro per month....

(assuming this offer is still in place)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

CGI_3 wrote: »
    If you're in a SIRO area, then that would be the best. There's 2 carriers at least on it in Limerick, Digiweb and Vodafone.

Check siro.ie with your eircode.

See this thread here if you're lucky enough to have SIRO:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108434866&postcount=106

gigabit BB with Vodafone on 12 month contract for an average of 40 euro per month....

(assuming this offer is still in place)
    I had SIRO with Vodafona but had to have it taken out due to very poor Wi-Fi and the location of the router. They offered to run cables and drill holes in the walls but I refused so they put me back on the simply broadband plan and moved the modem back to a central location in the hall. 
    The cost is €40 per month, their tech support located in Limerick and are good to deal with. 
    On the downside the Huawei HG959 model is pretty poor. I have been a customer of theirs since 2013 and have had the modem replaced on 6 occasions.
    Have had a few Wi-Fi issues from time to time and was advised by tech support that Vodafone are responsible only for providing a broadband signal to the home and are not responsible for Wi-Fi. So much so that when i went 5 days without any Wi-Fi (waiting on a new modem) they refused to give me any money off my bill. I would have jumped ship but I was tied into a contract.
    When the technician came out to check the SIRO (before i was downgraded) he advised that for an extra €5 a month it was a no brainer to go with Digiweb as they had a far better modem with a huge spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I had SIRO with Vodafona but had to have it taken out due to very poor Wi-Fi and the location of the router. They offered to run cables and drill holes in the walls but I refused so they put me back on the simply broadband plan and moved the modem back to a central location in the hall. 
    The cost is €40 per month, their tech support located in Limerick and are good to deal with. 
    On the downside the Huawei HG959 model is pretty poor. I have been a customer of theirs since 2013 and have had the modem replaced on 6 occasions.
    Have had a few Wi-Fi issues from time to time and was advised by tech support that Vodafone are responsible only for providing a broadband signal to the home and are not responsible for Wi-Fi. So much so that when i went 5 days without any Wi-Fi (waiting on a new modem) they refused to give me any money off my bill. I would have jumped ship but I was tied into a contract.
    When the technician came out to check the SIRO (before i was downgraded) he advised that for an extra €5 a month it was a no brainer to go with Digiweb as they had a far better modem with a huge spec.

6 times? Why don't you just bridge the vodafone router and buy yourself a decent 3rd party router? It would save you a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

davo2001 wrote: »

6 times? Why don't you just bridge the vodafone router and buy yourself a decent 3rd party router? It would save you a lot of hassle.
    I would love to mate but i honestly have no idea how to go about doing so. Any recommendations on an alternative router?

Advertisement