Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC keypad with bad buttons.

Options
  • 02-11-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

The HKC keypad on my alarm is 16 years old and some of the buttons require a lot of force to register the press. I would like to open the cover on the keypad to check the rubbers and possibly clean the contacts. Does anyone know if this set off a tamper alarm on my system? If it does can my user code reset it as I don't have the engineering code.

I think I have a keypad for a 6/10 but wouldn't swear to it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you open the keypad . The tamper activates. Just disarm it with your user code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ad_inky

Thanks KoolKid.

For those who want to try this at home it is fiddly and you can expect to set off your alarm several times. This happened mainly testing the buttons and trying to refit the rubber key pad. Or hitting the tamper button/spring with your sleeve.

I opened the cover (one screw and a release button) and the tamper alarm went off but was disarmed by my user code as KoolKid had said.

I cleaned the conductive rubber contacts and the circuit board contact with some isopropyl alcohol.

This actually made the two dodgy buttons stop working altogether. The buttons still had their black conductive rubber bumps but they no longer conducted. There must have been a coating and not actual conductive black rubber.

To fix this I sliced off the black bumps and superglued on replacement contacts from a tiny old remote control I had kicking around. These work great but I expect they wont last too long.

I would suggest you have some aluminium foil to cover the top of your finger and make the pcb button contacts work. You will need this to so you can disarm your alarm without the rubber buttons in place if you set it off. Which I did several times.

Putting back the rubber pad is fiddly as about 15 tiny rubber prongs need aligning. A cocktail stick was a great help as it doesn't conduct and you can slide the little rubber mounts/prongs around until they get into the holes you are aiming for.

Advertisement