Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulate Internal wall of kitchen

• 02-11-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I hope to do this tomorrow - put on slabs and then get somebody to plaster afterwards.

what insulation slab should I get ? (should Godwins have this slab or where best to buy it)

It is a concrete wall I will be putting slab onto - will I nail slab on or use some sort of glue compound ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

harry999 wrote: »
    I hope to do this tomorrow - put on slabs and then get somebody to plaster afterwards.

what insulation slab should I get ? (should Godwins have this slab or where best to buy it)

It is a concrete wall I will be putting slab onto - will I nail slab on or use some sort of glue compound ?

Thanks

https://www.goodwins.ie/insulated-plasterboards/c-1419.html

And mushroom fittings. These are needed for insulated slabs due to weight.

Get the thickest slab you can fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Goodwins will sell a low rate expanding foam which will stick the slab to the wall, but you still need mushroom fixings to hold it. Make sure the slab isn't sitting on the floor and is tight to the ceiling. They are a good job once done right. If you can go for 100mm slabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

is it plain blockwork or is the Wall plastered. ? If it's plastered you need to be really careful.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

sky6 wrote: »
    is it plain blockwork or is the Wall plastered. ? If it's plastered you need to be really careful.

I was thinking of doing this myself in the hall and stairs on a solid wall that’s plastered was told to go for plastic fixings, what needs to be done if its plastered.
    Is there any prep to be done before or can I put the boards straight on the wall. Thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

I was thinking of doing this myself in the hall and stairs on a solid wall that’s plastered was told to go for plastic fixings, what needs to be done if its plastered.
    Is there any prep to be done before or can I put the boards straight on the wall. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

walls have to breath. If the wall is plastered it will hold any moister that gets behind the New insulation Boards.
    This in time will lead to mold forming on your new wall. It only takes a small hole to let the air in.

If you are putting it up on a plastered Wall then you have to make sure the full square of the sheet is sealed and airtight.
    You need to use the foam in lines both vertical and horizontal overlapping in a grid type pattern, Then fixing the Slabs to the wall using Mushroom anchors to fix the sheets tight to the Wall.
    Then I'd fill the gap behind the skirting board with fiberglass to prevent air getting in that way.
    Tape all joints also to insure no air gets behind the slabs.

The other alternative is to take the plaster off the Walls which is not easy in most cases.
    I'd also recommend doing ceilings also as this is where most heat is lost and the benefits are felt immediately.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Or you could use vapour permeable insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its an internal wall. Stop panicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think you have to use a percentage of metal mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

walls have to breath. If the wall is plastered it will hold any moister that gets behind the New insulation Boards.
    This in time will lead to mold forming on your new wall. It only takes a small hole to let the air in.

If you are putting it up on a plastered Wall then you have to make sure the full square of the sheet is sealed and airtight.
    You need to use the foam in lines both vertical and horizontal overlapping in a grid type pattern, Then fixing the Slabs to the wall using Mushroom anchors to fix the sheets tight to the Wall.
    Then I'd fill the gap behind the skirting board with fiberglass to prevent air getting in that way.
    Tape all joints also to insure no air gets behind the slabs.

The other alternative is to take the plaster off the Walls which is not easy in most cases.
    I'd also recommend doing ceilings also as this is where most heat is lost and the benefits are felt immediately.

I´d say your mixing up some details.
    Walls need to be plastered before applying an insulated slab to the inside of perimeter walls in a cavity structure! Otherwise you create thermal looping between the insulated slab and the original structure and your insulation performance is just coming out of the insulated slab.
    What you explain about the moisture behind the insulated slab (only on perimeter walls again) is the so called interstitial condensation. Your insulated slab will keep the heat away of the existing wall but the moisture content of your internal air will pass the slab and meets the (cold) wall in the winter. The only way to prevent this issue is to create a vapour control layer on top of the insulated slab. The better option is, to use an alternative and approved internal insulation system for houses with massive concrete or stone walls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement