Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiator 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Gladiator v Alien

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Tony EH wrote: »
    In fairness, most of them were awful. The likes of 'Troy' or 'Alexander' were completely missed opportunities. But, I'm surprised nobody's ever made a film about Scipio Africanus and the second Punic war, culminating in the battle of Zama against Hannibal and the Carthaginians. There's a story right there and you don't even have to make it up.

But, yeh. Don't even bother downloading the superhero films now.

But, there were hundreds of thousands of gladiators.

There was only one Rocky. :pac:

Who should have died at the end of 'Rocky II' so we would have been spared all of those terrible, terrible sequels.

As far as I'm concerned, Rocky retired after he took the title from Apollo and never looked back. :D

Seriously though 'Rocky' is called Rocky because it's about Rocky. 'Gladiator' is called that because it's about a gladiator. So, 'Gladiator II' could be about another gladiator. In any case, they'll probably make a balls of it, so it all won't matter anyway.
    Terrible sequels,I happened to enjoy Rocky 3 and Rocky 4 very much along eighth plenty of others😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tony EH wrote: »
    In fairness, most of them were awful. The likes of 'Troy' or 'Alexander' were completely missed opportunities. But, I'm surprised nobody's ever made a film about Scipio Africanus and the second Punic war, culminating in the battle of Zama against Hannibal and the Carthaginians. There's a story right there and you don't even have to make it up.

But, yeh. Don't even bother downloading the superhero films now.

But, there were hundreds of thousands of gladiators.

There was only one Rocky. :pac:

Who should have died at the end of 'Rocky II' so we would have been spared all of those terrible, terrible sequels.

As far as I'm concerned, Rocky retired after he took the title from Apollo and never looked back. :D

Seriously though 'Rocky' is called Rocky because it's about Rocky. 'Gladiator' is called that because it's about a gladiator. So, 'Gladiator II' could be about another gladiator. In any case, they'll probably make a balls of it, so it all won't matter anyway.

Ah come on now ! Rocky IV is the best Rocky !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

xper wrote: »
    Gladiator v Alien

Problem solved.

In the Colosseum ... arbitrated by The Predator - an Oscar winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Terrible sequels,I happened to enjoy Rocky 3 and Rocky 4 very much along eighth plenty of others��
    Ah come on now ! Rocky IV is the best Rocky !!!

I must break the pair of you.

• Advertisement

The original was one of the few movies I ever walked out of. Went to see it to kill time before a pearl jam concert in Dublin. Did nothing for me and decided to kill time elsewhere before meeting pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The original was one of the few movies I ever walked out of. Went to see it to kill time before a pearl jam concert in Dublin. Did nothing for me and decided to kill time elsewhere before meeting pals.

It's 46th in the all-time list on IMDB. Voted for by the public. I realise taste is a subjective thing but most people view it as a good movie.

Why did you walk out?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Don't see any reason for them do make a sequel. The story ended with a reasonable conclusion and audiences will expect a great story/lead actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seemingly the script is finished and it focuses on this kid 20 years later

But Russell Crowe is still expected to be in it, presumably as some sort of hallucination/hologram equivalent to his part in Superman...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I know he's still acting, but they'll hardly have Spencer Treat Clark reprise his role for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I did that too !!

Watched it in Liffey Valley (?) then went to PJ gig.

I didnt walk out of the movie though! I LOVED it...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Scott is a busted flush at this point. His prequels to 'Alien' were two of the dumbest big budget movies I've seen in a long time and when a long way to destroying what used to be a great trilogy.

I hope that he can get his shit together to make a decent sequel to 'Gladiator', which was pretty entertaining despite being a load of old pony with regards to history. And if you're correct and it's about Lucilla's son Lucius, then we're already off to a bad start in that respect, because he died when he was about 10 or 11 years old and she, herself, was killed by Commodus.

As for Crowe being involved...ugh. That does not sound great, even if it is just a flashback or hallucination. He looks absolutely nothing like he did 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guys, Ridley Scott is 83: his next feature after House of Gucci is "Kitbag", a film about Napolean & Josephine that starts shooting in Jan 2022. So realistically, it'll be 2023 and Scot will be 85 or thereabouts before Gladiator 2 can be talked of as an active production.

I know Clint Eastwood is still working into his 90s, and it's a bit morbid to speak this way; but all things being equal, I doubt this will see the light of day because Scott won't be around to work on it. Maybe. His output might be very variable of late, but can't fault his energy at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Ralph Cifaretto would have been totally excited for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The need to make Gladiator vs. Braveheart I'd watch the sh1t out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I hope that poor Cosmo "journalist" got over her conflicting emotions.

Well the end goes completely off the reservation in terms of real history, so I any 'sequel' would presumably have to be set in some sort of alternative historical timeline from the very start...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Maximus all day for me. Achilles has no heeling power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every time I see a bump for this thread, I'm like WTF? Expecting some mad news that this really is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Every time I see a bump for this thread... I'm hoping that it's news that the film has been canned. Gladiator was a masterpiece. It doesn't need a prequel/sequel/reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

you probably think this comment contains 'mad news' ...

Sorry, it doesnt 😁

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

There'd be a lot of strikes in this general area I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

According to the interview Ridley did with Empire recently the script's finished and he's planning to start filming once 'Kitbag' is done, so it looks a certainty - unfortunately!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ridley is always saying that. I remember reading an old '80s interview with him in which he said the script for Dune was finished and he was going to start shooting after Blade Runner or whatever he was doing at the time. He probably has another half a dozen films lined up after Kitbag in the hope that one of them gets green-lit. Not saying it won't happen but until it actually starts shooting I remain sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

Let's hope you're right!

I mean any old eejit can have a script "finished". Sure Nick Cave had one written with the endlessly reincarnated Maximus. Lots of wheels need to turn before we get anywhere near shooting - not least acquiring some sheckles.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Scripts are finished every day in Hollywood and it doesn't mean shit.

John carpenter said he used to make a tidy living writing scripts for stuff that never got done and never would have.

Advertisement