Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Leaks: UEFA Investigation into Manchester City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

James Milner is covering more ground now than he ever did in his 20s.
    Last season for sure he covered an amazing amount of ground. I haven't seen much of Liverpool this season to comment on how he's doing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

NIMAN wrote: »
    James Milner is covering more ground now than he ever did in his 20s.
    Last season for sure he covered an amazing amount of ground. I haven't seen much of Liverpool this season to comment on how he's doing this year.

I suppose it would have nothing to do with playing under a manager who demands pressing back to front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's the sort of comment people toss out on the internet - prove it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I heard that when Utd were dominant. Liverpool too.

It won't last forever. Anyway, as good as they are they still have a long way to go to be considered completely dominant.

I was referring to how they've got to where they are. I wouldn't exactly call 2 titles in 50 years as dominant, even 2 titles in the 10 since the Arabs took over isn't exactly great either.

rob316 wrote: »
    Go on. I'm unaware of this, genuinely interested.

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's almost certainly going to be non factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Interesting article by der spiegel, I suppose the reason there was no action taken is because all the top clubs are at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I can remember more than one occasion during their 2000s/early 2010s peak when Spain/Barcelona were sprinting around the pitch in the 94th minute like it was the 1st. Even after decades and thousands of matches of watching football I'd never seen anything like it before or since.

Liverpool are not the hardest running team in the league, if anything they've been looking a bit leggy, esp as some players like Milner have played more than expected with injuries to Keita and Henderson.

Liverpool aren't pressing anywhere like last season, so far anyway. Bottom half of the table for pressing stats. The dog on the street could tell you they aren't pressing hard thus far. It's just lazy analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Interesting article by der spiegel, I suppose the reason there was no action taken is because all the top clubs are at it.

Well no, it's cause it wasn't a PED, is a drug that is allowed and the issue was administrative.

Well no, it's cause it wasn't a PED, is a drug that is allowed and the issue was administrative.

So its basically a non-story then.

The title makes it sound like Ramos was taking PEDs, and the wording of media articles are trying to hint at it too, but it appears it was an admin error by the team doctor. Nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The time Rio was banned for missing a drugs test (that he later took) the inspectors went looking for a few other players. One City player that day was reported to have been seen climbing out a window at the training ground and disappearing before they got to him. This was well before Pep's time.

The time Rio was banned for missing a drugs test (that he later took) the inspectors went looking for a few other players. One City player that day was reported to have been seen climbing out a window at the training ground and disappearing before they got to him. This was well before Pep's time.

Maybe back in them days it was more recreational drugs that they'd get caught for though.

The time Rio was banned for missing a drugs test (that he later took) the inspectors went looking for a few other players...

A day later.

As useful as a fellow crashing his car at 3am, fleeing, but returning and offering a breath sample 24 hours later.

He gave evidence about his friendship with drug dealers during an assault case at Leeds. Again, we can't draw any inference from that either. We can only say he missed his test.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/04/manchester-city-may-face-champions-league-ban-uefa-ffp-investigation
    Manchester City could be banned from the Champions League, perhaps as early as next season, as Uefa looks set to take strong action should the club be found to have flouted Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules. An independent investigation by European football’s governing body into City’s behaviour was recently opened after information was made public by the Football Leaks hack and published in the German magazine Der Spiegel alleged City used sponsorship deals to circumvent rules on how much money owners can put into a club.

At a meeting of Uefa’s executive committee in Dublin the president, Aleksander Ceferin, described the investigation as “a concrete case” and pledged an outcome “very soon”. Uefa officials believe the integrity of one of the organisation’s key rules is under threat and that sporting sanctions are the only appropriate response should City be found to have flouted them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Verryyyy big 'if' there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I have no faith in anything being done to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

PSG should be investigated too if UEFA go down that road.

At least City have a s*it ton of money coming in from the PL TV money and all that comes with being a PL team.

Again, nothing will happen, they wont ban City/PSG at all, they'll be brought before the courts with clubs challenging FFP if they were banned from the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Fingers crossed UEFA show a pair and actually carry out a proper punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have no faith in anything being done to be honest.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    PSG should be investigated too if UEFA go down that road.

At least City have a s*it ton of money coming in from the PL TV money and all that comes with being a PL team.

Again, nothing will happen, they wont ban City/PSG at all, they'll be brought before the courts with clubs challenging FFP if they were banned from the CL.

UEFA and/or FIFA don't really have the moral authority to do anything to be frank. PSG and City are a symbol of football further selling its soul for dirty money. Think of all the corruption exposed by the FBI. Its mad how everybody presumes that sorted a lot of the problems out. All it did was shine a light for a brief second on how horribly corrupt the entire structure is from top down.

People are dieing in the construction of world cup stadiums and nobody gives a flying f**k. I am not going to pretend I care to be honest because I don't really give it much thought , but I know most football fans are the same. The success of these dirty money clubs is something I will never respect, don't really care if their fans call it sour grapes. I would personally prefer Liverpool to win the league then City and its not because I hate City more (I really don't), its because a City win, is a win for the laundering of the reputation of its owners. City playing such great football has people admiring it on one hand while the owners actions/motives are forgotten on the other.

Liverpool represent , similar to United, clubs that win on their own merit. If anything these clubs are successful in spite of quite bad owners who at times took more out then put in. I don't want United bought over by any of these dodgy f**kers and would rather have the capitalist devils then the more sinister lads from the middle east or Russia.

And don't try and compare it with Blackburn or philanthropist/fan owners who pump money into their clubs. Its just not the same and if you have to ask why at this stage, then there is no point in discussing it.

• Advertisement

What I'm interested in is that there was a pause and we all thought they'd ignored it and pretended the leaks never happened.

Have UEFA decided to read the notes but then start a fresh line of investigation which doesn't rely on what are after all documents released in questionable or at least unexplained circumstances.

Drumpot wrote: »

People are dieing in the construction of world cup stadiums and nobody gives a flying f**k.

People are dying in the construction of all buildings in Qatar, if anything the buildings of the World Cup stadiums is highlighting this to the rest of the World. Unfortunately, as you say, no one gives a f**k.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    People are dying in the construction of all buildings in Qatar, if anything the buildings of the World Cup stadiums is highlighting this to the rest of the World. Unfortunately, as you say, no one gives a f**k.

The fact that a country with such a horrible human rights record and a weather that is bad for the players health so much the tournament has to be played in the winter is all we need to know about where Fifas moral compass points.

What I'm interested in is that there was a pause and we all thought they'd ignored it and pretended the leaks never happened.

Have UEFA decided to read the notes but then start a fresh line of investigation which doesn't rely on what are after all documents released in questionable or at least unexplained circumstances.

My scepticism was possibly misplaced, though predictably the source of the leaks has been cited as reason not to cooperate by City.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/15/manchester-city-refuse-comment-uefa-ffp-allegations
    Manchester City have refused to give Uefa any comment on allegations that they breached financial fair play regulations and misled the governing body because the club argues the claims were based on “hacked or stolen” emails.

The Uefa committee responsible for FFP wrote to City before Christmas inviting comment on allegations reported in the German magazine Der Spiegel that the club’s declarations in 2013-15 were “a web of lies”.

City responded that the allegations were based on “hacked or stolen” emails, and challenged Uefa to support stronger protection against hacking. No actual investigation of the club is understood to have begun; Uefa and its club financial control body (CFCB) are understood to be considering whether to launch one.
    As City refused to comment but did not deny that the emails quoted were genuine, the CFCB and Uefa officials are now understood to be discussing internally how to proceed. Aleksander Ceferin, the Uefa president, and Yves Leterme, chairman of the CFCB investigatory chamber, have spoken publicly in general terms that the strongest sanction for a club found to be seriously in breach of the rules is expulsion from the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1085628939484180480?s=19

UEFA can breath a sigh of relief if true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

In years to come, the revelations about clubs like City buying the league will probably lead to a revision of the history books, whereby the teams that finished second to them will be rightfully viewed as the authentic league winners of the era.

garra wrote: »
    In years to come, the revelations about clubs like City buying the league will probably lead to a revision of the history books, whereby the teams that finished second to them will be rightfully viewed as the authentic league winners of the era.

Surely that can already be written about teams of the past?

Its nothing new. There is generally a correlation between money spent and chances of winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Its nothing new. There is generally a correlation between money spent and chances of winning the league.

In years past there was no explicit rule in place to forbid the purchase of titles with massive cash injections, the likes of Madrid did not break the rules because there weren't any rules in place.

City breaking those FPP rules and UEFA ignoring the malpractice is a game changer in terms of how their success will be viewed in future, when football reclaim it's moral compass.

I generally agree with this, money eventually balances things out if enough is spent.

That said, I don’t see United’s success between 93-13 as comparable with city’s or Chelsea’s. The single most striking factor in the latter two was rich owners pumping money into the first team.

Would united of had its success without SAF and the youth team products while still spending the same amounts? Not a chance.

City and Chelsea can win leagues with any old manager purely because they pump so much money into their squads over such a long time it’s bound to bring succes.. sure Chelsea won the cL with di Matteo and nearly won the league and cup double with avram grant.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I generally agree with this, money eventually balances things out if enough is spent.

That said, I don’t see United’s success between 93-13 as comparable with city’s or Chelsea’s. The single most striking factor in the latter two was rich owners pumping money into the first team.

Would united of had its success without SAF and the youth team products while still spending the same amounts? Not a chance...

Huh?

You having a laugh?

Man Utd spent money like it was going out of fashion in the late 80s and early 90s. They broke transfers records again and again and again.

Phelan, Webb, Pallister, Donaghy, Hughes, McClair, Ince, Kanchelskis, Parker...it went on and on, huge transfer fees paid, long before Keane, Cole and the mid 90s binge etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Huh?

You having a laugh?

Man Utd spent money like it was going out of fashion in the late 80s and early 90s. They broke transfers records again and again and again.

Phelan, Webb, Pallister, Donaghy, Hughes, McClair, Ince, Kanchelskis, Parker...it went on and on, huge transfer fees paid, long before Keane, Cole and the mid 90s binge etc.
    Money generated organically through the club. Quite different.

Not once did they break a transfer record during the time you mention :D

Not once did they break a transfer record during the time you mention :D

I’d say the Paillister deal alone broke a few, most paid between British clubs and most for a defender, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Mocha Joe wrote: »

Please. Money is money no matter where it comes from. And Beckham, Scholes et al are the same player weather you get them from your academy or buy them for €50m. That FFP lark is only there to protect the clubs already at the top table. Is it fair that the likes of say Forest/Derby can’t get to the top table as they have to abide by FFP - a system designed to keep them out? The only clubs complaining about clubs breaking FFP rules are the clubs already at the top table.

Mocha Joe wrote: »

Ah seriously, as if Man Utd only spent money made in the club tuck shop.

No one drove the money frenzy like Man Utd driving up transfer fees and wages. If clubs like Chelsea and Man City spent big to catch up, and NOW Man Utd are caught by the binge they created, meh.

Garzorico wrote: »
    Is it fair that the likes of say Forest/Derby can’t get to the top table as they have to abide by FFP - a system designed to keep them out? The only clubs complaining about clubs breaking FFP rules are the clubs already at the top table.

Something needed to be done to prevent another Leeds or Portsmouth situation.

If FFP is done away with and clubs can spend whatever they want, do you think Forest/Derby are going to be able to compete? The only way they will is with a rich Arab coming in and there doesn't seem to be too many of them lining up to buy clubs. The likes of Jack Walker, John Hall etc wouldn't be able to keep up with an oil rich nation.

Why do people have such a problem with football clubs only being able to spend within their means? We all do it. I don't go out and buy a Ferrari because I can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Something needed to be done to prevent another Leeds or Portsmouth situation.

If FFP is done away with and clubs can spend whatever they want, do you think Forest/Derby are going to be able to compete? The only way they will is with a rich Arab coming in and there doesn't seem to be too many of them lining up to buy clubs. The likes of Jack Walker, John Hall etc wouldn't be able to keep up with an oil rich nation.

Why do people have such a problem with football clubs only being able to spend within their means? We all do it. I don't go out and buy a Ferrari because I can't afford it.

ah, but these clubs already have 3 Ferarris and you have a rich uncle that wants to buy you 3 Ferarris but isn't allowed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ozzy jr wrote:

I think there should be a salary cap which would allow all clubs compete on an even playing field.

Garzorico wrote: »
    ah, but these clubs already have 3 Ferarris and you have a rich uncle that wants to buy you 3 Ferarris but isn't allowed to.

We'll use your model for the future of football as an example......

So let's say Forest and Derby are both bought out by oil rich nations. Over the next 20 seasons the Premier League is shared between the 2 of them. No one else gets even close. Is that what you want?

What about Notts County? They weren't lucky enough to be bought out by an Arab.

Is their only hope now to be bought out by a rich owner? Is that the model you're looking for?

What about the fans of Notts County who can't afford to go to games now because it's €75 in to see a game? They have to charge that to try and compete, because Port Vale have an owner who's slightly richer then their one.

Is that really the football model you want to see?

How about this scenario, let's say Manchester United are bought out by a rich Arab and he gives them unlimited funds. Would you still be in favour of your model then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

We'll use your model for the future of football as an example......

So let's say Forest and Derby are both bought out by oil rich nations. Over the next 20 seasons the Premier League is shared between the 2 of them. No one else gets even close. Is that what you want?

What about Notts County? They weren't lucky enough to be bought out by an Arab.

Is their only hope now to be bought out by a rich owner? Is that the model you're looking for?

What about the fans of Notts County who can't afford to go to games now because it's €75 in to see a game? They have to charge that to try and compete, because Port Vale have an owner who's slightly richer then their one.

Is that really the football model you want to see?

How about this scenario, let's say Manchester United are bought out by a rich Arab and he gives them unlimited funds. Would you still be in favour of your model then?

FFP doesnt solve that issue. It just means the elite (man united, liverpool,arsenal) will never be challenged.

If im a notts county fan id prefer no ffp least i have that small hope we might get taken over. With ffp they will never compete anyway.

POKERKING wrote: »
    FFP doesnt solve that issue. It just means the elite (man united, liverpool,arsenal) will never be challenged.

I think Leicester proved that wrong.

Liverpool haven't won the league in a long time. Arsenal aren't exactly hoovering up silverware and Manchester United are being fleeced by their owners. This was Tottenhams time, but Russians and Arabs have a couple of playthings.

Ah well, I guess that's what some people are happy with.

I'll stick to the League of Ireland thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Odd that his leaks, published all those months ago, haven't led to any legal/Governing body charges yet. I know some have been quick to accept his stuff & expect others to answer his claims but once again it highlights that proper investigative/legal processes have to be followed

and lift off

D1ExL_8X4AYKd-a.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Shame it'll probably take them 3 years to decide anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City have been laying the propaganda ground work for this investigation for years now.

The Amazon series and all bots on social media complaining about the conspiracies against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A corrupt organization looking into another. Nothing will ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Be fined,same again 10 years after,rinse repeat

Advertisement