If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

49"-50" TV

Options
  • 02-11-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

No rush on this, mainly just looking at options for 49"-50" tv. I just measured the space, and while a 55" would fit, it would look pretty ridiculous. 

Main requirements would be:
    - 4k panel
    - good picture quality, particularly for broadcast non-4k content which will be the majority of the content
    - wall mountable (solid wall)
    - satellite tuner built in (do some of them come with 7 day epg?)

There is such a myriad of models, even within each brand, any advice on the benefits would be appreciated.

The only unique thing i have seen is the ambi-light on the philips. Does it make much of a difference, more immersive etc. 

Unfortunately OLED is way outside budget (which isnt set - but much lower regardless!). 

Also do you think you will have any boards deals (open box etc.) coming up, for black friday etc?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Lu Tze wrote: »
    No rush on this, mainly just looking at options for 49"-50" tv. I just measured the space, and while a 55" would fit, it would look pretty ridiculous. 

Main requirements would be:
    - 4k panel
    - good picture quality, particularly for broadcast non-4k content which will be the majority of the content
    - wall mountable (solid wall)
    - satellite tuner built in (do some of them come with 7 day epg?)

There is such a myriad of models, even within each brand, any advice on the benefits would be appreciated.

The only unique thing i have seen is the ambi-light on the philips. Does it make much of a difference, more immersive etc. 

Unfortunately OLED is way outside budget (which isnt set - but much lower regardless!). 

Also do you think you will have any boards deals (open box etc.) coming up, for black friday etc?
    Hi Lu Tze.

Thanks for the post.

It is a minefield out there when trying to choose a television :)

One with a built in Satellite reduces the pick greatly as very few have this onboard.

LG tend to be the go to for sat tuners and their 49SK8100 is a cracking product.
    Currently priced at £599.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203382-lg-49sk8100pla-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

The Philips Ambilight 50PUS6703 also has a sat tuner. This was given a 5 star review in What HiFi. The Ambilight helps to immerse you in what ever you are watching and also helps with eye strain. This feature can be switched off if required.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203602-philips-50pus6703-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Panasonic also have the 49FX750 coming in at £999.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203462-panasonic-tx49fx750b-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Any of our clearance products are now getting listed on our .ie website (This is only a new feature and a work in progress). Any televisions we currently have in open box or exdisplay are listed there. There are not very many at the minute.

We will be running a Black Friday sale but do not find out the deals until the eve of the event. Not all products are reduced on Black Friday and it will only be selected lines.

We are also offering to honor any Black Friday price drops on products purchased from today up until Black Friday. This will hopefully give our customers the confidence to make a purchase without the fear of losing out if a product drops in price on Black Friday.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hi Lu Tze.

Thanks for the post.

One with a built in Satellite reduces the pick greatly as very few have this onboard.

LG tend to be the go to for sat tuners and their 49SK8100 is a cracking product.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203382-lg-49sk8100pla-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

The Philips Ambilight 50PUS6703 also has a sat tuner. This was given a 5 star review in What HiFi. The Ambilight helps to immerse you in what ever you are watching and also helps with eye strain. This feature can be switched off if required.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203602-philips-50pus6703-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203462-panasonic-tx49fx750b-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Any of our clearance products are now getting listed on our .ie website (This is only a new feature and a work in progress). Any televisions we currently have in open box or exdisplay are listed there. There are not very many at the minute.

We will be running a Black Friday sale but do not find out the deals until the eve of the event. Not all products are reduced on Black Friday and it will only be selected lines.

We are also offering to honor any Black Friday price drops on products purchased from today up until Black Friday. This will hopefully give our customers the confidence to make a purchase without the fear of losing out if a product drops in price on Black Friday.

Cheers Kenny,

Are both the Philips and the LG Freesat, or do they have free to air tuners? Which is easier to navigate as regard stations sat/terrestrial and menus etc.

Is there much between them in terms of picture quality?

Hi Lu Tze.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers Kenny,

Are both the Philips and the LG Freesat, or do they have free to air tuners? Which is easier to navigate as regard stations sat/terrestrial and menus etc.

Hi Lu Tze.

Both the LG and the Philips are not freesat licensed but do have free to air satellite tuners on board.
    The terrestrial tuner as far as I know is also free to air and can pick up either Freeview in the North or Saorview in the South.

Both are great televisions. 
    The LG would have a slightly better image but the Philips operates smoother and has the ambilight feature.

You would not be disappointed by either of these screens.

Hi Lu Tze.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers Kenny,

Hi Lu Tze.

Both the LG and the Philips are not freesat licensed but do have free to air satellite tuners on board.
    The terrestrial tuner as far as I know is also free to air and can pick up either Freeview in the North or Saorview in the South.

The LG would have a slightly better image but the Philips operates smoother and has the ambilight feature.

Cheers Kenny,

Will probably know in the next week if I am purchasing. Final query i guess, do they both have plex apps?

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Hi Lu Tze.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers Kenny,

Hi Lu Tze.

Cheers Kenny,

Will probably know in the next week if I am purchasing. Final query i guess, do they both have plex apps?

Kind Regards,

Kevin
    Hi Lu Tze.

I have checked through each screens apps and the Philips does not have the Plex app but the LG does.
    This however is subject to change as the manufacturer may stop supporting this app.

• Advertisement

Whats your best price on the  Philips Ambilight 50PUS6703 delivered to Dublin? Is it possible to specify a delivery date?

Whats your best price on the  Philips Ambilight 50PUS6703 delivered to Dublin? Is it possible to specify a delivery date?
    Hey Lu Tze.

Best price at the moment on the 50PUS6703 would be the web listed price of £479 or 569 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203602-philips-50pus6703-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-ambilight-freeview-play.aspx

Includes or 6 year guarantee and shipping in the above prices.

You can specify a delivery date, excluding weekends.

Hey Lu Tze.

Best price at the moment on the 50PUS6703 would be the web listed price of £479 or 569 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203602-philips-50pus6703-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-ambilight-freeview-play.aspx

Cheers for all the help Kenny, i just ordered there. I didnt see any where to put in a delivery date, but i will PM you with it, and the order no. if that is alright.

Hey Lu Tze.

Cheers for all the help Kenny, i just ordered there. I didnt see any where to put in a delivery date, but i will PM you with it, and the order no. if that is alright.
    No problem, we received your PM and we'll get that sorted for you.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

I'm interested in the same tv, you might add your impressions here after you get it? Exiting times!

Thanks,
    Al.

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm interested in the same tv, you might add your impressions here after you get it? Exiting times!

Thanks,
    Al.

It will be a while yet, I delayed the delivery for a week. Will give my very inexpert opinion, just keep in mind I'm coming from a 32" walker 720p TV!

It will be a while yet, I delayed the delivery for a week. Will give my very inexpert opinion, just keep in mind I'm coming from a 32" walker 720p TV!

Well this arrived a week early after all, luckily somebody was here to receive it.

Eventually took it out of the box last night to make sure it was working. Its very impressive, although given what coming from that's not surprising. I do have a 34" 1440p ultrawide monitor for comparison though, and I'm still impressed overall. Not sure if it's quite to the same standard as the monitor, but I think the picture settings need to be tweaked from the out of the box settings, will see after that. I did stick on the astra UHD test channel, and it is ridiculously crisp.

Tried to follow the manual to rearrange channel order in the favourites list, and have failed miserably so far.
    Overall I am impressed, and more importantly, the girlfriend is! Netflix app etc working fine. If anyone has any questions I'll try and answer, although I'll be gone for the weekend some time this morning. Would recommend, particularly as the price has dropped to £429 now

Well this arrived a week early after all, luckily somebody was here to receive it.

Eventually took it out of the box last night to make sure it was working. Its very impressive, although given what  coming from that's not surprising. I do have a 34" 1440p ultrawide monitor for comparison though, and I'm still impressed overall. Not sure if it's quite to the same standard as the monitor, but I think the picture settings need to be tweaked from the out of the box settings, will see after that. I did stick on the astra UHD test channel, and it is ridiculously crisp.

Tried to follow the manual to rearrange channel order in the favourites list, and have failed miserably so far.
    Overall I am impressed, and more importantly, the girlfriend is! Netflix app etc working fine. If anyone has any questions I'll try and answer, although I'll be gone for the weekend some time this morning. Would recommend, particularly as the price has dropped to £429 now
    Thanks for the info Lu Tze and glad you are enjoying your new purchase :D

Let us know if we can help in any way in future or if you have any questions drop me a PM or post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.