Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAPTCHA madness

Options
  • 02-11-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm logging in from England having set up my account when livkng back in Ireland. I'm just writing about an issue that keeps happening when I try to load the Boards website. No matter what device I log into, mobile, laptop or PC, I am asked to perform a CAPTCHA task. I'm asked to complete several picture tasks each time but recently it's getting more complex and recently I have to fill out 7 in a row. Is this normal and is there another way Boards could deal with this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have the same issues, also posting from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Same here...posting from UK!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Part of the BREXIT consequences, I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Work uses an English proxy and it is awfully annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I log in (from UK) on wifi and ibhave to fill in captcha, go outside on garden and have to refill in captcha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sully wrote: »
    Part of the BREXIT consequences, I'm afraid!

But I'm an Irish remainer :(. Can we not just tick a Brexiter/remainer box and have the Brexiters complete puzzles?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Future captchas will request a solution to the border problem.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hey all,

Sorry for the disruption, but Cloudflare kicks in when it notices an uptick in suspicious traffic. It seems that the Captchas were pretty common over the weekend - was getting them myself from within Ireland. Hopefully it will get back to normal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Will there be a backstop agreement on captchas?.Hard or soft captchas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Haha, good timing. Just logged on to report the same thing. I feel like I'm now an expert is spotting traffic lights and school buses.

UK, using m.boards.ie if that helps at all. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will there be a backstop agreement on captchas?.Hard or soft captchas :)

We are currently discussing this with Mary Lou and the Arlene. We hope to have a decision by Xmas - not sure which one though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Been getting the CAPTCHAs an an increasingly unbearable rate as well, also logging in from the UK. Even sometimes when clicking onto a thread it comes up again and I often fail them and give up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The frequency with which Boards requires CAPTCHAs really is ridiculous. Even among sites that use Cloudflare, Boards is exceptional. I don't know of any other site that requires people to complete so many CAPTCHAs so frequently.

Cloudflare security settings can be set to Off, Essentially Off, Low, Medium, High, and I'm Under Attack! What is the setting for Boards? If it's medium or lower, why seemingly is anyone logging in from outside the country being treated as an attacker? And if they are at high or above, why the paranoia?

I just had to do something like 8 rounds of captchas to get access. This is not okay! Is this captcha situation going to be resolved or should I just give up on boards now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just did my 29th captcha (yes I've been counting) in under 3 days.

I just did another 3. Some of the pictures look like they were taken on a Nokia phone in 2001 and I can't quite see if the tiny images have fûcking bicycles in them or not :rolleyes:.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Sorry for the inconvenience. We have changed the captchas to JS challenges (the bouncing balls), which should make things more streamlined (and less taxing on users).

We can't promise there won't be captchas (as cloudflare kicks in when it notices an uptick in suspicious traffic) but hopefully things will be considerably smoother.

Advertisement