Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary tree advice

Options
  • 02-11-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Back to pick your green brains again.

Acre site. House under construction next door. Wooden post fence between us. Privet hedge planted around full boundary but i would like to plant some trees.
    Silver birch seems to be the obvious choice (could need maybe 12 in a row). Any advice/ suggestions gratefully received?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Silver Birch is very nice, but it will grow to 15 metres or more.

Will they cause shade for you or your new neighbour, or block a view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

No both sites are very open so this wouldn't be an issue.
    A garden centre, granted that it is on Facebook so i haven't seen them in the bark, is doing 10 six foot trees for 99 euro.
    Steer clear and wait for bare root? I have a feeling these may be potted ones that they are getting rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

If they're only six foot they may be just freshly potted bare root feathered whips anyway, so you may do better sourcing plain bare root, which should be available now or very soon.
    Sorbus aucuparia would be another option..sheerwater seedling has an upright habit similar to birch if you're after quick height.
    Alder if the ground is wet or poorly drained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

How about discussing options with the new neighbours and then pop to a local garden center for advice.

It may cost a few quid extra, but in my own experience it's worth every cent. - 12 years ago bought property on an acre, wanted trees. Local garden center owner came down, gave a plan, delivered the trees and all I'll say is his plan was perfect.

Yeah I'd love that Gran but not sure if any of our local places would be interested. No harm in asking i suppose.
    House next door has been under construction for years and chances are it will be for a long time to come so no point in asking.
    What kind of trees did you go for in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

If you've a big site this crowd might be worth a look. They have 50 deciduous native broadleaf whips/saplings for 21 euro. Have hedging/shelter belt options too.

https://www.treesontheland.com/plant-trees/

Looks like a good initiative in many ways I reckon. I've ordered a some to plant along a boundary fence to give some privacy but also as a long-term natural amenity. The con is, I'd imagine, they'll be young whips and if you need privacy in a hurry they might not be suitable.

I'll definitely look into that mob. Thank you. Sounds perfect because we don't need immediate privacy but would like to take the bare look off of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love that Gran but not sure if any of our local places would be interested. No harm in asking i suppose.
    House next door has been under construction for years and chances are it will be for a long time to come so no point in asking.
    What kind of trees did you go for in the end?

We got copper beech hedging that has grown exceptionally high + a few birch trees to mix in.

Sycamore & weeping willow (over a pond) as two statement trees, then some cherry blossom and a couple of groups of silver birch and finally a small orchard of apple, plum and pear trees.

Advertisement