Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to supply tv for long term tenants

Options
  • 02-11-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Can’t remember, it’s been a while since I had long term tenant. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Just a terrestrial or satellite signal I think, but not an actual physical tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Wasn't there something about you have to supply what your offered in the ad or was in the property when shown. Which was why people removed any non essential items. You only add extra to attract people. Which people used to have to before the current crisis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Short answer is no.
    Long answer is also no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just a terrestrial or satellite signal I think, but not an actual physical tv.

Nope, no need to supply that either. The idiot box is very last century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

i dont think telephone or tv connection is a legal requirement

Nope, no need to supply that either. The idiot box is very last century.

No need to supply it but saying it’s an “idiot box” (why I don’t know) and saying something that 99% of homes have and use is “last century” is idiotic.

Modern living rooms are literally build around a tv, i.e. having corner fire places so a tv can sit in the center of the room along a flat wall.

At lot of people no longer look at TV. They get their media from phone tablet or laptop. Maybe that's what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No need to supply it but saying it’s an “idiot box” (why I don’t know) and saying something that 99% of homes have and use is “last century” is idiotic.

Do you have a source for that 99% claim?

The last stats I saw were that 5% of homes don't have a TV and it's most likely only grown since then. (No I don't have a link right now .... can find one later.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

beauf wrote: »
    At lot of people no longer look at TV. They get their media from phone tablet or laptop. Maybe that's what he meant.
    Quantify a lot ?

Lots may do that but they will still have a tv that they cast to so as to watch the media.

As an aside That would still require a tv licence

beauf wrote: »

Well yes some people are willing to put up with watching stuff on small screens (though even most who get all their media online cast or connect the laptop to the tv).

The only conclusion I can get is that the poster thinks watching any form of media or tv is for idiots which is of course ridiculous as I really can’t see the difference in watching a tv show/match etc on a tv or on a laptop (aside form worse viewing experience).
    Do you have a source for that 99% claim?

The last stats I saw were that 5% of homes don't have a TV and it's most likely only grown since then. (No I don't have a link right now .... can find one later.)

Ok so 95% but the vast majority of the remaining 5% will just watch tv on their laptop or tablet or projector as discussed above. Calling it an idiot box tells me you are talking about viewing no media whatsoever as watching on a tv or a laptop are the same thing and the number of people who sit at home and watch nothing is absolutely tiny as for no other reason it’s boring as hell but there are vastly more very very good reasons also why people watch tv (be it on a TV set or laptop etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well yes some people are willing to put up with watching stuff on small screens (though even most who get all their media online cast or connect the laptop to the tv).

The only conclusion I can get is that the poster thinks watching any form of media or tv is for idiots which is of course ridiculous as I really can’t see the difference in watching a tv show/match etc on a tv or on a laptop (aside form worse viewing experience).

Ok so 95% but the vast majority of the remaining 5% will just watch tv on their laptop or tablet or projector as discussed above. Calling it an idiot box tells me you are talking about viewing no media whatsoever as watching on a tv or a laptop are the same thing and the number of people who sit at home and watch nothing is absolutely tiny as for no other reason it’s boring as hell but there are vastly more very very good reasons also why people watch tv (be it on a TV set or laptop etc).

Why are you so het up about somebody else thinking of the TV as an idiot box? What difference does it make to you? You can enjoy your telly, they can enjoy not having one. What’s the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

The term "Idiot Box" is not the poster being judgemental, she is just using a common and longstanding term for a tv

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idiot%20box
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/idiot-box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Exactly, why is he so upset over someone calling it an idiot box? Perhaps there are underlying issues at play

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Short and simple is- no- there is no need to supply a TV or the means to watch one, should the tenants decide to source one themselves.
    Provision of a TV and/or aerial/satellite connection = a dispute down the road as to who has to pay the TV license.........

ted1 wrote: »
    Quantify a lot ?

Lots may do that but they will still have a tv that they cast to so as to watch the media.

As an aside That would still require a tv licence

I just know a lot of people who don't have a TV and a lot of people have said they watch a lot of their media not on a TV. Came up indirectly when commenting on the poor quality of some content. Visually or audio Blu-ray releases etc. Many won't notice because they don't watch it on TV sized screen or decent audio.

Also when on trains I see loads of people watching TV shows or videos on all sorts of devices.

Kinda off topic though. You don't need to supply a TV.

Advertisement