Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler losing pressure

• 02-11-2018 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all, tried searching but go tg back so much results I said I'd just go and ask!

My condensing boiler is losing pressure regularly. I put it up to 1.5 Bar at normal and then when the downstairs or upstairs circuit comes on it goes to about 2.5/3 Bar.

Once it cold down again it will be around 1.1 Bar and will hold around there.

Can't see any visible leaks so hopefully not an underground one.

The boiler is a heatline sargon which i know is a terrible boiler!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

EvilWonka wrote: »
    Hi all, tried searching but go tg back so much results I said I'd just go and ask!

My condensing boiler is losing pressure regularly. I put it up to 1.5 Bar at normal and then when the downstairs or upstairs circuit comes on it goes to about 2.5/3 Bar.

Once it cold down again it will be around 1.1 Bar and will hold around there.

Can't see any visible leaks so hopefully not an underground one.

The boiler is a heatline sargon which i know is a terrible boiler!

Easy fix..... close all valves under the boiler, shut the gas off at the meter, remove the flue pipe, disconnect the pipework to the boiler, isolate the electrical supply, snip the cable, loft boiler off the wall and dump it in the bin.

But sounds like the expansion vessel needs to be either recharged or replaced if burst, if pressure is getting to 3bar the safety valve is lifting letting excess pressure out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭EvilWonka

After getting the run around from a few "busy" plumbers I finally got someone out to look at it and the expansion vessel is goosed so need a new boiler!

I have turned down the boiler thermostat to try and stop the pressure rising too high.

The plumber said that topping up the boiler can cause aluminium rads to leak at the welds and need replacing.

I'm paranoid to turn on the heating now, is this true? Not sure when I can book someone in to do the work so hard me writing about the whole breathing system failing!!

After getting the run around from a few "busy" plumbers I finally got someone out to look at it and the expansion vessel is goosed so need a new boiler!

I have turned down the boiler thermostat to try and stop the pressure rising too high.

The plumber said that topping up the boiler can cause aluminium rads to leak at the welds and need replacing.

I'm paranoid to turn on the heating now, is this true? Not sure when I can book someone in to do the work so hard me writing about the whole breathing system failing!!

Why not just replace the vesseĺl?

sullzz wrote: »
    Why not just replace the vesseĺl?

He said the vessel is about €300-€400 plus labour and that it's such a terrible boiler it's probably not worth doing that in the long run.

He won't fit boilers so he not trying to make work for himself!

• Advertisement

He said the vessel is about €300-€400 plus labour and that it's such a terrible boiler it's probably not worth doing that in the long run.

He won't fit boilers so he not trying to make work for himself!

Is the boiler a combi or system boiler, ie. Do you have a hot water cylinder in your hotpress?

Is the boiler a combi or system boiler, ie. Do you have a hot water cylinder in your hotpress?

System boiler I think not a combi.

3 zoned system with upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

Hot water cylinder in the hot press

System boiler I think not a combi.

3 zoned system with upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

Hot water cylinder in the hot press

Ok so you could relocate a vessell to the hotpress, this would reduce the cost dramatically.
    The vessell for your existing boiler would be a couple of hundred euro compared to about 50euro for a replacement one for the hotpress, there will be labour cost involved but it will still be a huge amount less than replacing the vessell in the boiler.
    Your boiler is a piece of crap but with the cost involved in replacing it this other option might get you by for a while.

Ok so you could relocate a vessell to the hotpress, this would reduce the cost dramatically.
    The vessell for your existing boiler would be a couple of hundred euro compared to about 50euro for a replacement one for the hotpress, there will be labour cost involved but it will still be a huge amount less than replacing the vessell in the boiler.
    Your boiler is a piece of crap but with the cost involved in replacing it this other option might get you by for a while.

Thanks for the advice, didn't know that!!
    One to mull over.

In the meantime, the thing about the aluminium rads leaking from topping up the boiler... is there truth to that?

Thanks for the advice, didn't know that!!
    One to mull over.

In the meantime, the thing about the aluminium rads leaking from topping up the boiler... is there truth to that?

Constantly topping up your heating system with fresh water does cause corrosion within your system and will eventually block your rads and pipework with "sludge" leading to cold spots in rads, blocked pipework, radiators and poor circulation.

• Advertisement

Constantly topping up your heating system with fresh water does cause corrosion within your system and will eventually block your rads and pipework with "sludge" leading to cold spots in rads, blocked pipework, radiators and poor circulation.

Thanks for the help, I'm let you know what I decide in the end... leaning towards just biting the bullet!!

Thanks for the help, I'm let you know what I decide in the end... leaning towards just biting the bullet!!

You'll be looking at between 2 and 2 and a half grand.
    Make sure a chemical powerflush is included.

Advertisement