Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got stopped again by AGS

• 03-11-2018 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Im back again and in trouble for no reason,

I got followed for a decent stretch today and eventually pulled over by ags on a very busy street at a busy time of day,
    I had three passengers with me my older sister, myself 28 y/o, other half and 2 year old child, garda a came to the window how are you can I see your driving licence, gave him my licence,

He then proceeded to berate me over my alloy wheels saying my car is too low because the wheels are too small for it and where are the standard wheels those look like wheels off a shopping cart in dunnes, to which I replied they are the same size as standard wheels,

Just so ye have an idea the standard rim is size 155/70 r13 my alloys are 165/60 r13 I drive small 3 door hatchback 1 liter car. He then stated my car would not pass an nct with these wheels I said hold on and before I could utter another word out he said your getting very confrontational be careful or ill find other things wrong with your car, (I didnt so much as raise my voice I could barely get a word in)

I asked garda b if I was being confrontational in any way and he didn't answer me nor did he say anything to garda a my car has nct tax and insurance for another 9 months, 3 months and 5 months respectively. My passengers were gobsmacked at the level of ignorance I was shown for a non event.

Garda a made another smart remark about my wheels and basically to put the standard steel wheels back on and then left.

My passenger said that he was deliberately not allowing me to not anser in an attempt to gain a reaction from me to which he got none, ive been stopped twice this week for nothing basically

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

put in a complaint about him

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

i would but i doubt that would make a blind bit of differece i was stopped in such a bad spot i had to talk to them through the passenger window didnt even get a shoulder number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Turn on the audio recording on your dashcam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Turn on the audio recording on your dashcam.

And let him know. Unless it's admissible evidence without his consent, I don't think it is.

Have it on all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Wouldn’t worry about it, there is no law regarding maximum of minimum size wheels/tyres that can be on a car and yours are within spec of the OE wheels. He was just being a wanker.

If you get stopped again ask him to quote you the rule/law that says you can’t put small wheels on a car (regardless of the fact that your wheels/tyres are near OE size)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Amazing how there's some lads that hassle seems to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

One of your passengers should really have had the cop on to record the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New car or have you had previous trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Are the wheels too wide for the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Glanza by any chance?
    Edit:Just saw you said 1L

• Advertisement

Are the wheels too wide for the car?

no they dont poke out, rub or scrub they are not much wider than the original wheels only 10mm

Victor wrote: »
    New car or have you had previous trouble?

the car is not new its early 00,s similar size to an opel corsa, ive no convictions or endorsments been driving 11 years and ive 10 years ncb i didnt even have penalty points until recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Glanza by any chance?
    Edit:Just saw you said 1L

No such thing? Later on even?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anything else on the car like tinted windows, or a loud exhaust? Basically, anything for AGS to want to pull you over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Wouldn’t worry about it, there is no law regarding maximum of minimum size wheels/tyres that can be on a car and yours are within spec of the OE wheels. He was just being a wanker.

If you get stopped again ask him to quote you the rule/law that says you can’t put small wheels on a car (regardless of the fact that your wheels/tyres are near OE size)

I am sure there is. There was posts here years ago about different wheel sizes messing with the Speedo on some cars.

A bigger wheel will cover more distance per revolution than a small one so if the speedo reading is taken from the axle it would be out by quite a few kph. (+/-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the car is not new
    Apologies, new to you. Some people find that they buy a car, get harassed by gardaí, only to find out the car was previously owned by a known criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

the car is not new its early 00,s similar size to an opel corsa, ive no convictions or endorsments been driving 11 years and ive 10 years ncb i didnt even have penalty points until recently

Strange, he was probably bored and wanted to pick on you for whatever reason.

Sometimes you get the good guys sometimes you get the bad guys. Move on as long as he doesn't keep hassling you would be my advice.

antodeco wrote: »
    Anything else on the car like tinted windows, or a loud exhaust? Basically, anything for AGS to want to pull you over?

no i dont have tinted windows, or a loud exhaust on the car, i had a sunvisor about 6 inches long on windscreen was told at a checkpoint recently to remove it or car will be siezed next time so i did

Victor wrote: »
    Apologies, new to you. Some people find that they buy a car, get harassed by gardaí, only to find out the car was previously owned by a known criminal.

ah well ive owned the car 3/4 months i bought it off a couple with a 12 audi they seemed respectable they had the car a year used it as a run around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

post a photo, I'm intrigued as to why you would say "similar size to a Corsa"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

11 years? And you still drive a 17 year olds car?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

antodeco wrote: »

If a Garda stops you for this, he’s still acting the Cnut. Unless you’re actually doing something wrong, you should be left in peace.

I’d say the Garda in question is just an arsehole. It happens, obey the law and don’t give him an excuse.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Sounds like a Micra, I seen really old micras lately with tiny super lite style alloy wheels or whatever you call them. They look out of place on cars like that but whatever the boys are into these days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you have to bear in mind that the Gard isn't just interested in driving offences. He could well be suspicious of a car with four lads up, for all we know wearing hoodies, and was just checking them out . Don't forget the Gards deal with a lot of scum (not the OP) and are hardened to approaching them in a particular way. With some "clients", they would be right to be wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Could be a Yaris too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

ted1 wrote: »
    11 years? And you still drive a 17 year olds car?

Morning guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

In motoring career over the past 18 years I have never found the gardai to be anything other than polite and co operative. I didn't always have everything in order either, but the worst I got was a severe telling off at the side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

I had a similar situation 2 weeks ago. I was pulling out from Greek street at back of four courts onto Lower Dorset street, I was having absolutely no luck getting out so edged forward to force the hand of traffic to stop. A garda car was close by and stopped watched me pull out. I then approach a junction to turn left, AGS car is next to me and waves me through the light to pull in. I oblige he then informs me he is pulling me for breaking a red light(Which he just indicated me to break) when i informed him my zonal cam will have picked it up , Nor had a broke any rules of the road previous while edging out. He promptly got into the car and allowed me on my way.

Moral of the story is some personnel of AGS arent competent and not fit to wear the Uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

I worked on a counter for years, dealing with at times, some very awkward confrontational people.

Nothing annoys people who are trying to wind you up more than being extra nice, polite and extra cooperative and agreeable back to them. You see the fury in their faces, because you won't get angry or play their game, but they have nowhere to go with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

My first post on Boards, so I'll be careful. The OP says he's been stopped "again" . . . . . When was the previous stop and what car ? If it's only three months in his ownership and this has happened, he might consider going to his local station and asking them to look at the reg on the system. If it was listed for "Crime Ordinary" to a previous owner then he needs to get that lifted.
    But in relation to the rude Garda there is no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

My first post on Boards, so I'll be careful. The OP says he's been stopped "again" . . . . . When was the previous stop and what car ? If it's only three months in his ownership and this has happened, he might consider going to his local station and asking them to look at the reg on the system. If it was listed for "Crime Ordinary" to a previous owner then he needs to get that lifted.
    But in relation to the rude Garda there is no excuse.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108489299

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was stopped by an unmarked car a few months ago. At 1am approaching the Fonthill Road roundabout after coming off the N4. No traffic. I see blues up ahead before I'm even on the roundabout, they're setting up a check point so I take it handy.

Pass the checkpoint at a safe distance, doing the speed limit. Then I see the car behind me approaching fast from the distance. "He's a gobshyte" I think. Then I'm tailgated for a bit too long before they eventually put the blues on me.

Pull over, they pull up beside me. Passenger says I took the roundabout quite hard. Me, confused "I did?". Driver cuts in aggressively "slow it down". Passenger asked if I'm just finished work etc. Driver cuts in again 'where you coming from?". I answer them politely, while somewhat confused.

We leave then he proceeds to do a U-turn from the bus lane across solid white lines in front of me...check the dashcam footage when I'm home and I cruise through the roundabout at about 26-7kph, indicate coming off. Looks like the passenger side wheel may have been on the line...

Ridiculous carry on flooring it to catch up and tailgating me because they have nothing better to be doing. There's me sitting in my work high viz with a name tag looking puzzled in a boring Golf with the music off.

Isambard wrote: »
    you have to bear in mind that the Gard isn't just interested in driving offences. He could well be suspicious of a car with four lads up, for all we know wearing hoodies, and was just checking them out . Don't forget the Gards deal with a lot of scum (not the OP) and are hardened to approaching them in a particular way. With some "clients", they would be right to be wary.

i would full well understand that but when this garda got to the car and saw me, my older sister two year old child and girlfriend i think he could have shown some decency considering i have everything in order and was only going about my day im 28 not exactly 17

i was pulled over twice after this check point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

i was pulled over twice after this check point

There's something up, for some reason you made their sh*t list.
    Maybe going into the Garda station and asking why you're constantly being pulled over would be a good idea.
    Just be nice and polite about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

No smoke without fire lads.

Its clalled profiling. Usually when it comes to scangers and bangers it serves a purpose. Not aimed at you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I reckon a photo of the car would be an interesting place to start. There are judgements made by Gardai, the same as anybody.. most work on the 'if it looks right, it is right' policy on the roads. I suspect something doesn't look right, so the assumption is that's it's not right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I am sure there is. There was posts here years ago about different wheel sizes messing with the Speedo on some cars.

A bigger wheel will cover more distance per revolution than a small one so if the speedo reading is taken from the axle it would be out by quite a few kph. (+/-).
    The original tyres had a sidewall height of 99mm whereas the current ones have a side wall height of 108.5mm. A difference of 9.5mm - so the current wheels will be rotating less than they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If you're as cryptic with the Gards as you are with us OP, I can personally see why they may be developing an interest.

What we can assume from what you've told us is that you drive an early 00's 1.0 car (that isn't a Corsa) with non standard 13 inch wheels and a 6 inch tint visor with L Plates displayed.

So we are realistically looking at either a Micra or a Yaris on superlites or banded steel wheels with a tint visor and L Plates, you also had 3 passengers at the time.

Like it or lump it, this car is a Garda magnet. If it's taxed and tested with nothing to hide then that's really good for you because driving a car that looks like that will attract attention.

If you're as cryptic with the Gards as you are with us OP, I can personally see why they may be developing an interest.

What we can assume from what you've told us is that you drive an early 00's 1.0 car (that isn't a Corsa) with non standard 13 inch wheels and a 6 inch tint visor with L Plates displayed.

So we are realistically looking at either a Micra or a Yaris on superlites or banded steel wheels with a tint visor and L Plates, you also had 3 passengers at the time.

Like it or lump it, this car is a Garda magnet. If it's taxed and tested with nothing to hide then that's really good for you because driving a car that looks like that will attract attention.

the visor was removed after the check point, the car has l plates only because my o/h is a learner, the car is not on superlights or banded steel wheels, since when us putting 13 inch alloys that are damn near the same size as the original wheel, there is no chimney exhaust on it or window tints, car isnt lowered, by the way cryptic? i forgot this is the internet hang on ill just post my reg number, address, dob and bank details for everyone and anyone to see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Happened to a mate of mine good few years ago, Garda pushed him looking for a reaction, saying the car was unroadworthy for some unknown reason. friend asked Garda what station he was from.. Next thing Garda says "right lads out of the car weve reason to believe there's drugs on the car"... ripped the panels and seats up, found nothing (mate never touched drugs) , smiled and drove off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

by the way cryptic? i forgot this is the internet hang on ill just post my reg number, address, dob and bank details for everyone and anyone to see

You don't have to do that but mentioning the make and model really isn't going to give much away is it. Saying you drive a Micra and being upfront about it reveals about as much about you as saying you drive a Corsa size car but comes across far less suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the visor was removed after the check point, the car has l plates only because my o/h is a learner, the car is not on superlights or banded steel wheels, since when us putting 13 inch alloys that are damn near the same size as the original wheel, there is no chimney exhaust on it or window tints, car isnt lowered, by the way cryptic? i forgot this is the internet hang on ill just post my reg number, address, dob and bank details for everyone and anyone to see

In fairness, reading the two threads, it did fit the description of 'boy racer'. Which would attract the Guards attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Im back again and in trouble for no reason,

I got followed for a decent stretch today and eventually pulled over by ags on a very busy street at a busy time of day,
    I had three passengers up and myself, garda a came to the window how are you can I see your driving licence, gave him my licence,

He then proceeded to berate me over my alloy wheels saying my car is too low because the wheels are too small for it and where are the standard wheels those look like wheels off a shopping cart in dunnes, to which I replied they are the same size as standard wheels,

Just so ye have an idea the standard rim is size 155/70 r13 my alloys are 165/60 r13 I drive small 3 door hatchback 1 liter car. He then stated my car would not pass an nct with these wheels I said hold on and before I could utter another word out he said your getting very confrontational be careful or ill find other things wrong with your car, (I didnt so much as raise my voice I could barely get a word in)

I asked garda b if I was being confrontational in any way and he didn't answer me nor did he say anything to garda a my car has nct tax and insurance for another 9 months, 3 months and 5 months respectively. My passengers were gobsmacked at the level of ignorance I was shown for a non event.

Garda a made another smart remark about my wheels and basically to put the standard steel wheels back on and then left.

My passenger said that he was deliberately not allowing me to not anser in an attempt to gain a reaction from me to which he got none, ive been stopped twice this week for nothing basically

pulled over for what?

what non event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Take down the L plates when you're driving and she can put up when shes driving.

No one looking bank account. Wondering model of car. Hardly your PPS now is it.

Do you have a bit of an attitude when pulled?

Seem to have one on here.

lawred2 wrote: »
    pulled over for what?

what non event?

he said it was because i have alloy wheels on the car that was the reason he gave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

he said it was because i have alloy wheels on the car that was the reason he gave

there must be something particularly offensive/dodgy looking about them..

Or more likely - an old 1 litre box with shiny custom wheels and 4 lads inside fits all the wrong profiles.

Understandably so I'm afraid.

Take down the L plates when you're driving and she can put up when shes driving.

No one looking bank account. Wondering model of car. Hardly your PPS now is it.

Do you have a bit of an attitude when pulled?

Seem to have one on here.

i would think a small 3dr hatch back one liter would be enough details for an internet forum? it could be a micra yaris corsa explain to me the specific difference knowing the make model would do? im not having an attitude but there was a number of assumtions made i mean how much detail do you put on the internet where anyone can view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's either an issue with the attitude (not saying you have one, but some Gardai are fairly aggressive when you're questioning why they're hassling you), the wheels/look of the car or the car was previously owned by a criminal.

If I remember correctly someone on here was stopped frequently and it turned out the car was previously owned by a known criminal. I think he went to the station to let them know he's the new owner etc. Might be worth having a word at the station?

lawred2 wrote: »
    there must be something particularly offensive/dodgy looking about them..

Or more likely - an old 1 litre box with shiny custom wheels and 4 lads inside fits all the wrong profiles.

Understandably so I'm afraid.

the car is in the 00s not 80s and four lads did you read through the post atal im 28 i had my older sister in the car, O/H and a two year old child if that fits the wrong profiles i give up the alloy wheels are 13s the standard are 13s even the tyres are within 10% +/- of original

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement