Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got stopped again by AGS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the car is in the 00s not 80s and four lads did you read through the post atal im 28 i had my older sister in the car, O/H and a two year old child if that fits the wrong profiles i give up the alloy wheels are 13s the standard are 13s even the tyres are within 10% +/- of original

Really!?... sorry - that detail was missing from the OP.

No idea then why they would pull you over - probably dodgy looking wheels...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

lawred2 wrote: »
    Really!?... sorry - that detail was missing from the OP.

No idea then why they would pull you over - probably dodgy looking wheels...

sorry i ment read through the thread as someone made a similar suggestion ill edit the op might be easier

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Sorry OP, just out of curiosity could you be driving a Mitsubishi Colt by any chance? You don't need to answer but the reason I bring it up is models of that vintage were (and presumably still are) relatively notorious for being boy racer cars and despite being 28 you might look younger and with, albeit, minor modifications to the car could suggest to the Gardai you fit the profile.

It's sh!t by the way and there's no excuse for the guards giving you guff/being unpleasant for it but they are people like the rest of us and despite everything it can be hard for them not to care prejudices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i would think a small 3dr hatch back one liter would be enough details for an internet forum? it could be a micra yaris corsa explain to me the specific difference knowing the make model would do? im not having an attitude but there was a number of assumtions made i mean how much detail do you put on the internet where anyone can view

The difference is that a corsa or a yaris or a k12 micra or a fiesta are normally driven by old women or students, no issue with those

A boxy starlet, 'glanza' , datsun turbo , mitzi colt, almost anything 'jap import only' are pretty much only driven by lads who usually fall foul of the gardai, be it for messing/smoking weed/no tax or insurance.

The VW polo is a mixed bag, in parts of the country where lads lower passats and golfs its risksy, other places its not.

At the moment were all stuck in limbo because it could be the type of car or that specific car (owned by criminal etc...) , you could eliminate all that in one post and let us provide constructive help

Even if you wont tell us what it is, last week it had a 6 inch sunvisor and aftermarket alloys , thats not great, is it a car that has a following in a modfied scene ? If so theres your answer. If not - do you wear beanie hats or baseball caps or hood up while driving ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

sorry i ment read through the thread as someone made a similar suggestion ill edit the op might be easier

Couple of things spring to mind seeing as you only spec the tyre sizes rather than the rims.

Dodgy looking might well be due to the offset of the wheels if the standard wheel offset were +10mm and your new wheels were -10mm then they'd look even worse.

Are you by any chance also stretching the tires even by a little bit as you do not mention the actual rim size of the vehicle as original or of the new alloys.
    For example the rims recommended for a 155/70*13 are between 4J and 5J whereas the recommended rim size for a 165/60*13 is between 4.5J and 6J and if you are now running 6.5J or larger the look is even bigger.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

The difference is that a corsa or a yaris or a k12 micra or a fiesta are normally driven by old women or students, no issue with those

A boxy starlet, 'glanza' , datsun turbo , mitzi colt, almost anything 'jap import only' are pretty much only driven by lads who usually fall foul of the gardai, be it for messing/smoking weed/no tax or insurance.

The VW polo is a mixed bag, in parts of the country where lads lower passats and golfs its risksy, other places its not.

At the moment were all stuck in limbo because it could be the type of car or that specific car (owned by criminal etc...) , you could eliminate all that in one post and let us provide constructive help

Even if you wont tell us what it is, last week it had a 6 inch sunvisor and aftermarket alloys , thats not great, is it a car that has a following in a modfied scene ? If so theres your answer. If not - do you wear beanie hats or baseball caps or hood up while driving ?

its a suzuki swift not an import the sun visor was literally that the ones in the car are tiny and crap so i got a cheap one on ebay and took it off wen asked i didnt give the gard at the check point any guff all i said was i didnt realise it was illegal, he mention nothing about my alloys but he did say hevwould sieze the car if he saw the sun visor on it next time which i though a bit over the top, to be fair its not exactly 19 inch chrome spinners ive put on it just an 8 spoke alloy which is similar offset and exact diameter of original, i gave this garda no reason to talk down to me, i gave him my licence promptly and my insurance details and when he was askin me questions about the car they must have been rhetorical as when i tried to get a word out he talked over me, i just stopped talking as he said i was being confrontational then and that he will find things wrong with my car, im not sure what you can find wrong with a car that is the exact same as it was when it passed its nct 3 months ago. as i said both my sister and other half were gobsmacked thought the garda was very inappropriate with his general demenor and atitude towards me as i said nothing smart, snarky or ignorant to him in any way if i was fair enough id deserve to get a bollockin or if i was driving like a bell end

its a suzuki swift not an import the sun visor was literally that the ones in the car are tiny and crap so i got a cheap one on ebay and took it off wen asked i didnt give the gard at the check point any guff all i said was i didnt realise it was illegal, he mention nothing about my alloys but he did say hevwould sieze the car if he saw the sun visor on it next time which i though a bit over the top, to be fair its not exactly 19 inch chrome spinners ive put on it just an 8 spoke alloy which is similar offset and exact diameter of original, i gave this garda no reason to talk down to me, i gave him my licence promptly and my insurance details and when he was askin me questions about the car they must have been rhetorical as when i tried to get a word out he talked over me, i just stopped talking as he said i was being confrontational then and that he will find things wrong with my car, im not sure what you can find wrong with a car that is the exact same as it was when it passed its nct 3 months ago. as i said both my sister and other half were gobsmacked thought the garda was very inappropriate with his general demenor and atitude towards me as i said nothing smart, snarky or ignorant to him in any way if i was fair enough id deserve to get a bollockin or if i was driving like a bell end

Ok there we go, a swift is not a boy racer car so id say its the specific car or you the gard doesnt like , is it the same gard / a small village where they might be targetting you ?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Couple of things spring to mind seeing as you only spec the tyre sizes rather than the rims.

Dodgy looking might well be due to the offset of the wheels if the standard wheel offset were +10mm and your new wheels were -10mm then they'd look even worse.

Are you by any chance also stretching the tires even by a little bit as you do not mention the actual rim size of the vehicle as original or of the new alloys.
    For example the rims recommended for a 155/70*13 are between 4J and 5J whereas the recommended rim size for a 165/60*13 is between 4.5J and 6J and if you are now running 6.5J or larger the look is even bigger.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

the tyres arent streched at all, they dont protrude at all at a guess they are probly 5j? they are not dished outwards, i have had the car fully laden and they dont catch on the arches not even close to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the days of Gards being allocated to small villages are long gone. My small town and several neighbouring towns and a huge swathe of Cork County are covered by one man in a car.

• Advertisement

<ignore next post answered the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Very few cars from 2000 we’re still using 13 inch wheels, but fair enough. I wonder how wide the wheels are, and whether the tyres aren’t stretched onto wider wheels. There’s something you’re not telling in your last two threads, either the car is dodgy, looks dodgy, or you do.

The fact that you’re not saying what car it is says a lot. (Edit, I just see you’ve posted that it’s a swift, Mea culpa)

Ok there we go, a swift is not a boy racer car so id say its the specific car or you the gard doesnt like , is it the same gard / a small village where they might be targetting you ?

im starting to think its the specific car as first occasion was in my local small town and the garda was a bit odd with me and asking alot of where were you, where are you going, what do you work at questions, the second occasion was in the city. twice in one week tho is bit of a coincidence

im starting to think its the specific car as first occasion was in my local small town and the garda was a bit odd with me and asking alot of where were you, where are you going, what do you work at questions, the second occasion was in the city. twice in one week tho is bit of a coincidence

Not if there's a pulse/ANPR tag against the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not if there's a pulse/ANPR tag against the plate.

Is ANPR rolled out across every Squad car?

this slipped my mind was my O/H that mentioned it but the day i bought the car around 3 months ago that night i went to get petrol at the local filling station and just after leaving the petrol station on the way home, an unmarked squad passed me and did a hasty u turn and pulled me over askd for licence and kept repeatedly asking me what was i at the weekend did i go to a rave at x location and do i go to raves often, i told him i dont as i do not drink so why would i go to raves and that last weekend i was in clare for a weekend away as a birthday present for my O/H but he continued on saying i do go to raves i said you must have the wrong person and i asked why was i stopped and he said i have a brake bulb not working and he sent me off on my way. i checked when i got home and the normal part of the bulb worked but it didnt get brighter when the brake pedal depressed, so he wouldnt have know my brake bulb was out until well after he turned around to stop me as it was a straight patch of road i wouldnt have been braking until the blues came on

• Advertisement

this slipped my mind was my O/H that mentioned it but the day i bought the car around 3 months ago that night i went to get petrol at the local filling station and just after leaving the petrol station on the way home, an unmarked squad passed me and did a hasty u turn and pulled me over askd for licence and kept repeatedly asking me what was i at the weekend did i go to a rave at x location and do i go to raves often, i told him i dont as i do not drink so why would i go to raves and that last weekend i was in clare for a weekend away as a birthday present for my O/H but he continued on saying i do go to raves i said you must have the wrong person and i asked why was i stopped and he said i have a brake bulb not working and he sent me off on my way. i checked when i got home and the normal part of the bulb worked but it didnt get brighter when the brake pedal depressed, so he wouldnt have know my brake bulb was out until well after he turned around to stop me as it was a straight patch of road i wouldnt have been braking until the blues came on

Ok lad clearly its the car, not you. Id go down the local station and explain you bought it 3 months ago and that youre legit, explain that youre not making a complaint but youre getting pulled over way too muxh to be coincidence, that the car may have been owned by some mad lad in the past but its no longer the case. See if that helps, if not sadly id say sell the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have a flagged car. Drop down to your local station with the VLC and see what shows up on it. Hopefully they'll be able to remove the flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

If you're as cryptic with the Gards as you are with us OP, I can personally see why they may be developing an interest.

What we can assume from what you've told us is that you drive an early 00's 1.0 car (that isn't a Corsa) with non standard 13 inch wheels and a 6 inch tint visor with L Plates displayed.

So we are realistically looking at either a Micra or a Yaris on superlites or banded steel wheels with a tint visor and L Plates, you also had 3 passengers at the time.

Like it or lump it, this car is a Garda magnet. If it's taxed and tested with nothing to hide then that's really good for you because driving a car that looks like that will attract attention.

This is why i drive a sleeper
    In my case a cx7 2.2 on coil overs
    Looks like a daddy van
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

If it's a Swift 2000 1 liter, then you have the wrong wheel size.

As far as I see, the correct ones are:
    165/65 R13
    175/60 R13
    165/65 R14
    175/60 R14
    195/45 R15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

rosmoke wrote: »
    You are allowed only specific sizes, that's the law.
    And you didn't say what car you have, so we could check if you've illegal rims or not.
    (you said your car is a hatchback, 1 liter from 2000, similar with corsa) there are plenty cars with this description ...

This reminds me of a video I've seen yesterday with someone that had an awful accident due to incorrect wheel size. It messes up with all the sensors.

He's said it's a Swift.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

When self driving cars come along those clowns will have to do actual police work or be made redundant

Such a waste of money AGS

rosmoke wrote: »
    If it's a Swift 2000 1 liter, then you have the wrong wheel size.

As far as I see, the correct ones are:
    165/65 R13
    175/60 R13
    165/65 R14
    175/60 R14
    195/45 R15

165/60 r13 and 175/60 r13 are basically the same thing its a tyre size, i used to work in a tyre center, arguing over 10mm in width when they tyre width can go out to 195 on r15?

the garda didnt mention a problem about the tyre size, he said the wheel as in the r13 part when the car is comin on a r13 from standard

Ok lad clearly its the car, not you. Id go down the local station and explain you bought it 3 months ago and that youre legit, explain that youre not making a complaint but youre getting pulled over way too muxh to be coincidence, that the car may have been owned by some mad lad in the past but its no longer the case. See if that helps, if not sadly id say sell the car

im going to wait now and see if it happends again and ill then be makin a call to the local station and ask for a garda that might remember me from a place i worked in the locality, his car was in for repairs and pre nct inspection. it would be a royal pain to have to sell it on over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

First and only thing op should have asked the guard was what was the offence he was pulled for.
    Then he either does you for it or leaves you be on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Im back again and in trouble for no reason,

I got followed for a decent stretch today and eventually pulled over by ags on a very busy street at a busy time of day,
    I had three passengers with me my older sister, myself 28 y/o, other half and 2 year old child, garda a came to the window how are you can I see your driving licence, gave him my licence,

He then proceeded to berate me over my alloy wheels saying my car is too low because the wheels are too small for it and where are the standard wheels those look like wheels off a shopping cart in dunnes, to which I replied they are the same size as standard wheels,

Just so ye have an idea the standard rim is size 155/70 r13 my alloys are 165/60 r13 I drive small 3 door hatchback 1 liter car. He then stated my car would not pass an nct with these wheels I said hold on and before I could utter another word out he said your getting very confrontational be careful or ill find other things wrong with your car, (I didnt so much as raise my voice I could barely get a word in)

I asked garda b if I was being confrontational in any way and he didn't answer me nor did he say anything to garda a my car has nct tax and insurance for another 9 months, 3 months and 5 months respectively. My passengers were gobsmacked at the level of ignorance I was shown for a non event.

Garda a made another smart remark about my wheels and basically to put the standard steel wheels back on and then left.

My passenger said that he was deliberately not allowing me to not anser in an attempt to gain a reaction from me to which he got none, ive been stopped twice this week for nothing basically
    Record him in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'd rather gardai stopping than not,good n bad lawmen ,most ok,I drive an import swift spoiler,full body kit,(sport) never stopped,only in a line of cars for tax etc,used to get stopped in Derry sometimes up to 4/5 times daily, definitely every other day,that entailed boot,bonnet open,all passengers details,full search of car ,and body pat down, awkward going about your daily business,but it was what it was, so from a neutral view,either u,your passengers,or previous owner of car is in the pulse for something,get a dash cam, record conversation,keep cool,but really a few stops is fcuk all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

the visor was removed after the check point, the car has l plates only because my o/h is a learner, the car is not on superlights or banded steel wheels, since when us putting 13 inch alloys that are damn near the same size as the original wheel, there is no chimney exhaust on it or window tints, car isnt lowered, by the way cryptic? i forgot this is the internet hang on ill just post my reg number, address, dob and bank details for everyone and anyone to see

Don't bother, we had those 5 minutes after your first post... :D;)

im going to wait now and see if it happends again and ill then be makin a call to the local station and ask for a garda that might remember me from a place i worked in the locality, his car was in for repairs and pre nct inspection. it would be a royal pain to have to sell it on over this

honestly i'd say do it now and don't wait for another run in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

One of your passengers should really have had the cop on to record the whole thing.
    2 year old child.

And I thought kids these days were real techies

Isambard wrote: »
    you have to bear in mind that the Gard isn't just interested in driving offences. He could well be suspicious of a car with four lads up, for all we know wearing hoodies, and was just checking them out .

He should be sent to Specsavers if he mistakes a woman and a two year old child as men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

He should be sent to Specsavers if he mistakes a woman and a two year old child as men.

The orriginal OP did not speicfy the type of occupant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Looks like a daddy van

I have a petrol 2.3T version. Think we might have the only 2 in the country as I have never seen another one on the roads!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Sadly the presence of a child does not eliminate any criminal behaviour -- drug dealers do use children ro distract from their dealing / transportation of drugs etc

It does sound from the last post by the op the car is flagged. I wouldn't be waiting around either to be pulled again - just pop in now with your documentaion & have a chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

christy02 wrote: »
    Looks like a daddy van

I have a petrol 2.3T version. Think we might have the only 2 in the country as I have never seen another one on the roads!!!

I don't know what any of that means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Search the car thoroughly. You might be lucky... :)

I would say the car is definitely on file. The faulty brake light would be noted too - that's how the first Garda knew about it 'in advance'.

Go to your local station and try to sort it out. Did you buy directly from the previous owner, or a car dealer?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm guessing you and your car are getting Garda attention for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If everything is declared on your insurance I wouldn't be worried about it.

Keep a copy of the insurance cert in the car with the alloys declared on it and keep a copy of the nct cert.
    That way you've got them to hand so you won't need to waste your time going to a Garda station should they ever ask you to produce your insurance cert.

Only solution is either to change your car or accept that this is the downsides to owning anything that isn't 'standard'.

It's been going on for years and it just comes with the territory.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Caliden wrote: »

Keep a copy of the insurance cert in the car with the alloys declared on it and keep a copy of the nct cert.
    That way you've got them to hand so you won't need to waste your time going to a Garda station should they ever ask you to produce your insurance cert.

Thing is, Gardai will still ask you to go to the station and produce. Happened to me previously. Garda was just in a mood, as he obviously wanted to waste my time. Had to bring them down to the station. A few weeks later get a knock on the door asking why I never brought the certs down blah blah. Took out the certs, that I got stamped in the station to prove I was there, and the Garda promptly vanished. Sometimes they are assholes. They are poeple at the end of the day, same as every other occupation. Most I've ever dealt with are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

By all accounts, it does seem critical that on producing you get some evidence of having done so.
    On the one occasion I've been asked to produce, I requested that garda stamp the documents. He refused. When asked how do I prove I produced on time etc, he told me to wait and he would enter the details on system and give me a print out.
    This was fine but I had to wait about 30 mins.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    By all accounts, it does seem critical that on producing you get some evidence of having done so.
    On the one occasion I've been asked to produce, I requested that garda stamp the documents. He refused. When asked how do I prove I produced on time etc, he told me to wait and he would enter the details on system and give me a print out.
    This was fine but I had to wait about 30 mins.

You can ask a garda to record it in his notebook and take name and badge takes 20 seconds and he has to oblige you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Looks like a daddy van

Thats cos it is !! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Commanchie wrote: »
    You can ask a garda to record it in his notebook and take name and badge takes 20 seconds and he has to oblige you
    Didn't know that thanks. Got pulled over a few years ago and I had all the documentation in the car, showed everything and went on my merry way. A few weeks later, a summons arrived in the post for failure to produce. Was an absolute nightmare trying to get it sorted as I didn't want to waste a day to go to court, but the Garda that made the cock up made sure she was always "on the beat" when I tried to arrange to meet her. Once the summons was issued, there was no way of reversing it, so I was relying on the Garda's word that she would get it cancelled/struck out if I didn't show up to court.

fletch wrote: »
    Didn't know that thanks. Got pulled over a few years ago and I had all the documentation in the car, showed everything and went on my merry way. A few weeks later, a summons arrived in the post for failure to produce. Was an absolute nightmare trying to get it sorted as I didn't want to waste a day to go to court, but the Garda that made the cock up made sure she was always "on the beat" when I tried to arrange to meet her. Once the summons was issued, there was no way of reversing it, so I was relying on the Garda's word that she would get it cancelled/struck out if I didn't show up to court.

Never ever rely on gardas word regarding having it struck out. A garda could miss court and the court sergeant will deal with it not knowing.

Looks like a daddy van

Despite being a slightly cryptic post (or maybe its just me) that is a pretty good Sleeper to be fair Christy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

fletch wrote: »

So was it struck out? If it wasn't, did you go? Did the Gard show up? If she didn't and it was struck out on the day, it sounds like she deliberately dragged you to court with a case she knew damn well was utter bullsh*t and would be struck out, but at least it would cost you time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I used to get regularly harassed when I was 18 in my 1st insured car, despite being fully road legal. Searched many times, followed and pulled over, thorough grilling at checkpoints. Fairly rubbish reasons for stopping me too (for example one time I was searched as I had pulled into a parking spot in a shopping centre. I politely pointed out I was taking a phone call and didn't want to be on the road with the phone, they were in the car park getting snacks in a shop beforehand!)

It did test my patience and I eventually snapped at a garda in Navan who pulled me over for "speeding", despite being in the middle of the town (outside Bank of Ireland) and being on a bicycle, had absolutely no equipment to measure speed. I'll never know to this day how I didn't end up in more hot soup over the "heated exchange" I had with him. I also don't know was it coincidence that after that I was never stopped again in that car (drove it round for another year)

I often looked back and wondered why just that car, I came to the conclusion it was flagged somewhere.

Since I've driven much more obnoxious cars without as much of an eyelid batted, unless I've done something to provoke them (one time years ago an exhaust fell in front of a garda car behind me, they got out and I was expecting to be grilled/PSV'd, instead they were laughing their heads off and asked did I need any help, sound pair on the job!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I had an S6 a number of years ago that i picked up 2nd hand for a bit of a fun car as I was on a project for 6 months in Glasnevin and would be driving the M50 and M1 quite late on way home. I was forever stopped by Gardaí before I could make it past the N2 to the M50 on ramp. Both patrol and unmarked cars. Never any reason for the stops and i was in my early 30's at the time. Stops always came with questions that didn't seem relevant to a simple stop. Like fishing for something.

I had bought the car from a mechanic i knew in Finglas and on his advice he told me to go to Finglas Garda station. I didn't make a complaint, just simply told them what was happening and stated that I recently bought the car and that I was just travelling back home from work and what i done etc. She made note of it and I was never stopped again. Just once shortly after I had a marked car behind me at traffic lights and flashed me to pull in as I was turning when they went green. I was in the process of doing so and they pulled out and the passenger rolled down the window to wave me on. It was like they recognized the car, had a search for it and seen something about what i mentioned in the station and knew it was grand. So they definitely do flag something on cars and it's not always for road behavior or car condition. Who knows who owned it before me. They got rid of it after 4 months anyways. Probably sick of being stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Looks like a daddy van

have one in the family so make that 3! :D A really underappreciated car with the perfect mix of performance and comfort that's a steal at today's prices. If only the motor tax was't as high :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the end result of all these stops? The original driver probably had some gear on them? Then they get a suspended sentence to go along with the 87 others they have and continue going about their lives until they get stopped again?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What's the end result of all these stops? The original driver probably had some gear on them? Then they get a suspended sentence to go along with the 87 others they have and continue going about their lives until they get stopped again?

Cynic!

p.s. You're probably right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement