Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18 Month Old and eating

• 03-11-2018 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone here would have any advice.

Our 18 m/o has gone quite bad for eating meals. Before, he would sit for breakfast/lunch/dinner and (mostly, not all the time) eat what was put in front of him.

He got sick a couple of weeks ago - fever, cold/flu like sysmptoms - and ate very, very little for about 3/4 days.

However, since coming around he still refuses to eat at meal time. No matter what we give him, or our approach - leaving him alone, coaxing him to eat - he just refuses it. Now, he will eat some of our food, liking to sit on my lap and eat my eggs, soup or whatever. He just won't eat what's made for him. And of course the effort one goes to to make their food, makes it quite annoying! Also, he just wants to eat snacks like crackers, which frustrates me as I want him to eat his meals, and I feel like giving him the snacks gives him the wrong message....and yet I don't want him to bu hungry.

He was never a great eater, but just slightly worried as he's a small, light little chap still comfortably in 12-18 month clothes.

I know he won't be the first or the last 18 month old to act this way, but just wondering if anyone who went through something similar had some wisdom they'd like to dispense!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

He won’t starve. Limit the snacks, and he’ll start to eat his meals again. They’re clever little things, they learn quickly what they like and how to get it. He’ll probablg go through many many phases over the next few years, don’t worry too much!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sit him back in his chair, serve him up and say nothing.Zero.He will come round.They realise early on that food is about the only thing they have control over, you.can't force them to eat.The bigger fuss made, the more power they realise they have.They will never intentionally starve themselves.
    Also when they are sick it does take them a while to get fully back to normal, specially as regards food.They may have unpleasant memories of eating and being sick etc so you have to give them time.It always takes them much longer than adults.
    He could probably be eating your food at the same time as you, he's big enough now.
    Edit:molars may be due round now, a disaster for food too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

It's just a phase, if he'll eat your food then give him that as he wants to copy everything you do, I never do separate meals unless we're eating something I know for sure he won't like then I might do a sweet potato or something. Mine did the same, he's now just turned two and has hit the independent phase where everything has to be done by himself, although he still wants whats on my plate sometimes too! And fruit seems to be his main thing at the moment, that and anything sausage or cake related!!:D I wouldn't worry about it and don't make an issue of it as it will pass, as said above a child won't starve!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/how-to-feed/the-division-of-responsibility-in-feeding/

I hope that link works, i'm liking this approach and it seems to be working well with my 18 month old (so far anyway!!) Some days he'd eat 3 bowls of dinner, other days it's 3 bites, and we just go with him. The molars have definitely affected his appetite and I think a lot of kids can take a while to bounce back from illness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

It's just a phase, if he'll eat your food then give him that as he wants to copy everything you do, I never do separate meals unless we're eating something I know for sure he won't like then I might do a sweet potato or something. Mine did the same, he's now just turned two and has hit the independent phase where everything has to be done by himself, although he still wants whats on my plate sometimes too! And fruit seems to be his main thing at the moment, that and anything sausage or cake related!! I wouldn't worry about it and don't make an issue of it as it will pass, as said above a child won't starve!

I agree, if he's eating your food let him off. My daughter is 21 months and likes to sit at the table with her own plate and cutlery and feed herself. We just give her diced up portions of our dinner and she scoffs the lot, loves texture and things she can chew.

• Advertisement
Advertisement