Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice -new bike 1200e - PF BB question & which manufacturer - cube/giant/merida

Options
  • 03-11-2018 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi, going to buy a bike in the 1000 - 1200 range - 2019 model

I've looked at a Giant contend SL1 and the cube attain Sl , and next week will look at another manufacturer I've come across online - Merida

Online I've come across a problem with the press fit bottom bracket squeaking, not necessarily with these bikes above but it is/was a problem with the push fit design in general - certainly for a number of years after it became the norm on bikes.

So really I'm wondering is this problem with PF BB still on going or has the design evolved to be problem free?

Any of the bikes above have better reputation in this area and in general?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have tow PF BB30 bikes and they dont squeek.
    I think the whole idea of PF is that the press fit cups take up any intolerances in the frame and the bearings are a snug fit in the cups eliminating the squeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

Ok thanks, the giant has a Shimano Press Fit bottom bracket, the cube details are just Press Fit bottom bracket .. probably manufactured by shimano too..

I will just have to trust they are problem free. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's just the luck of the draw, random variation in frame tolerances.

Press fit is a poor design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Hi, I've just bought a Merida bike. Haven't got it yet but impressed with the brand from reading up on it. Got the scultura disc 400.
    Guy came into work with a selection of them and they look great. Upgrading from a felt that I have had no issues with.

• Advertisement

christy02 wrote: »
    Hi, I've just bought a Merida bike. Haven't got it yet but impressed with the brand from reading up on it. Got the scultura disc 400.
    Guy came into work with a selection of them and they look great. Upgrading from a felt that I have had no issues with.

Hope you don't mind me asking , but how much is this bike?

Lumen wrote: »
    It's just the luck of the draw, random variation in frame tolerances.

Press fit is a poor design.

so its just fingers crossed that the frame(aluminium) has been machined properly for the push fit...is it worth chancing it if the bike Id like has a PF BB? - will it turn into a nightmare if you end up with a frame that hasn't been machined properly?

I just noticed the giant contend & contend 1 have cartridge BB, think this is the old type treaded BB ... if it is, this is a more reliable design?

I'd like to buy the best bike I can without buying something that will potentially be a problem, as the contend is essentially the same bike as the contend SL , its a down grade on a few things which make it a bit heavier and doesn't look as nice - but this is probably not going to make much difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Giant and Merida are both huge manufacturers and you can't go wrong with any bike from either IMO.
    In fact I'd nearly venture as far as to say that there really aren't any bad bikes out there any more so just buy the one you like the look of best and that fits you best.
    FWIW I've done 90% of my riding on a TCR for the past 2 years and i can't fault it. A brilliant bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

fat bloke wrote: »
    Giant and Merida are both huge manufacturers and you can't go wrong with any bike from either IMO.
    In fact I'd nearly venture as far as to say that there really aren't any bad bikes out there any more so just buy the one you like the look of best and that fits you best.
    FWIW I've done 90% of my riding on a TCR for the past 2 years and i can't fault it. A brilliant bike.
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. There's loads of poorly designed bikes out there. Planet flex giant and canyon to name a few.
    My recommendation is to check Dolan out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Sure Dolan are just buying carbon frames from outsourced manufacturers in the Far East like the rest of them. At least Giant own their own factory’s.

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    Sure Dolan are just buying carbon frames from outsourced manufacturers in the Far East like the rest of them. At least Giant own their own factory’s.

While giant do own their own factories they still knock out some unbelievable ****e sometimes. Poor paint 6 different frames for the same bike type requiring 6 different mech hangers. Aluminium grommets in carbon frames.
    Press fit bb cup tolerances miles off
    Right angles in internal cable routing. Need I go on?
    What annoys me most about giant is they make the specialized frames and you don't see any of these issues with them.
    At least Dolan use channels in their carbon frames so they don't rot, you can also get a custom paint job done also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

baby fish wrote: »
    so its just fingers crossed that the frame(aluminium) has been machined properly for the push fit...is it worth chancing it if the bike Id like has a PF BB? - will it turn into a nightmare if you end up with a frame that hasn't been machined properly?

I just noticed the giant contend & contend 1 have cartridge BB, think this is the old type treaded BB ... if it is, this is a more reliable design?

I'd like to buy the best bike I can without buying something that will potentially be a problem, as the contend is essentially the same bike as the contend SL , its a down grade on a few things which make it a bit heavier and doesn't look as nice - but this is probably not going to make much difference to me.

If your objection to buying bike is push fit bb (and I don't think that's an unreasonable objection as I might share it:)) you can get threaded bb which fit in push fit frames.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html

An occasional poster here, who knows a thing or two about bikes, speaks highly off them. Not cheap, but not Chris King either.

ford2600 wrote: »
    If your objection to buying bike is push fit bb

To be honest, I don't really mind what type of bottom bracket is on the bike , just as long as it works and doesnt give problems prematurely , and I suppose that was the point of the my op -> has the push fit design evolved to be now trouble free today or does it still have the same chance of developing the known problems (squeaking)....in my head im saying they can't be installing something that will give problems in a short space of time....so it should be ok..That link to the bb is something that could be a solution if a problem developed but it's another 100e ..

Carbon frame is not for me on this occasion, I think an alluminium frame around 1200e...I see that the orbea avant range of bikes has a threded bb! With Alluminium frame for just under 1200..

ford2600 wrote: »
    If your objection to buying bike is push fit bb (and I don't think that's an unreasonable objection as I might share it:)) you can get threaded bb which fit in push fit frames.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html

An occasional poster here, who knows a thing or two about bikes, speaks highly off them. Not cheap, but not Chris King either.

+1 on the wheels mfg bbs. Not cheap but damn they're brilliant. No more creaks and you can change the bearings in them

Advertisement