Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options
  • 03-11-2018 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

So here goes, another DCM novice graduate :cool: setting up a log:

I'm male, mid-thirties with no sporting background since my school days. I'm blessed to be a father of two, and it was their arrival that finally motivated me to get up off the couch a few years ago. Running was my chosen activity, and after a couple of false downs, I finally stuck with it and I've now been running regularly since May 2017. Up until this summer, running regularly meant 2-3 times a week, with weekly totals being 10-12 miles. With the help of the DCM Novices thread I followed the Boards plan and completed DCM last weekend.

DCM 18 race report is here
    The short version is that I loved it, despite struggling for a few miles towards the end.

I've already signed up for DCM next year, with the aim of going sub 4. Before that though, over the next 6-8 months I'd like to concentrate on the shorter stuff. I've been reading last years grads thread, and I'm excited by what lies in store over the coming months.

I'm creating this log to chart my progress. I've made a lot of progress over the past 12 months, but it's hard to quantify from memory alone. Hopefully this log will help me track my next 12 months, and beyond.

PB's:
    5k | 23:18 | Feb '18
    10k | 48:29 | Mar '18
    10 mile | 1:23:17 | May '18
    HM | 1:54:00 | Oct '18
    Marathon | 4:13:21 | Oct '18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Welcome to the world of logging. Another one for me to follow. Best of luck with the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great to see another log start. Hope you have a great time getting more PBs over the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

PB's:
    HM | 1:54:00 | Oct '18

Yay - another log.

Hope you've a great 2019 watching these PBs tumble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck with the new log, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great to see you in the logs A! Good luck with the new goals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Welcome to the logs A! I will enjoy reading about what you do next :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just spotted this now A, best of luck with it and the new goals! (Loving the log name btw! :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Yay! Delighted to see you’ve started a log. Excited to keep up with this, we have a similar plan for the year ahead and similar times so will definitely be interested to see what happens! Sounds like you’ve a good way with words too, best of luck A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks for the warm welcome to this neck of the woods, much appreciated!

I didn't do much in the first week after DCM, save for a brisk 20 minute walk on the Thursday. Stepped things up marginally this past week.

Monday - Brisk 30 minute walk
    Tuesday - Brisk 30 minute walk
    Thursday - 2 miles @ 10.43 min/mile
    Sunday - 3 miles @ 11.15 min/mile

On the Thursday and Sunday runs I just ambled along at whatever felt like a very easy pace on the day. For comparison sake, my actual marathon pace was 9.36 min/mile. Both runs felt good, and it was great to get out again. The plan for the coming week is along similar lines, maybe 3 runs for a weekly total of 10-12 miles.

Current short term plans are another 2 weeks of handy stuff, maybe a few strides the second week, with a parkrun on the 24th November being my first serious effort after DCM. After that I'm planning on starting the grads base building plan the first week of December.

I think I've mentally recharged somewhat this week. Spent the first 10 days after DCM absolutely buzzing, and it felt like I was thinking about running 24/7. But in the latter part of this week I think I've managed to emerge from my running bubble now and again. I've also noticed that my appetite is still at pre-DCM levels. I would never have been a massive eater, but I'm certainly putting away the grub at the moment.

That's a perfect plan. Stick with it and you will reap the rewards long term. Well done.

• Advertisement

Another pretty quiet week for me as marathon recovery continues.

Tuesday - 2 miles very easy (11:01/mi). Had planned on 3 miles, but it got dark quickly and I made the call that 2 miles was enough. The joys of running on country roads.

Thursday - 4 miles very easy (10:46/mi). Went with a local running group. My OH and sister go regularly, but I only went a couple of times previously. It's a big group, with all kinds of paces, and I can see great camaraderie in the group, so I will hopefully go back more regularly. Stuck to my own pace on this occasion anyway, which was a bit of a no man's land between groups.

Friday - 2 x brisk 15 minute walks. Car was in for a service, so I walked from and to the garage. Felt a twinge in my left Achilles during the walk. Took that as a reminder to get back to the stretching and foam rolling. I also have a small ball I roll under my foot, so gave that a good workout Friday evening. No repeat of the Achilles pain since.

Saturday - 4 miles easy with 4 x 30s strides (10:09/mi). This run was penciled in for Sunday, but plans were made for a few pints on Saturday night and I didn't fancy a hungover run, so changed the run to Saturday. It felt good to run at a slightly faster pace, albeit briefly. The first stride was a shock to the system, as my legs didn't know what hit them. I was fine after that though. None of the strides were exactly textbook, but it's a start. Felt a soreness in the big toe of my right foot. Suspect it may be due to the running shoes, so I'll monitor for now.

The week ahead figures to be quiet on the running front. I work a shift pattern and this weeks schedule makes it tricky to squeeze in runs. I'll get in a few walks, and hopefully a couple of easy miles one or two days, before giving my local parkrun a lash on Saturday.

I've been thinking about cross-training recently. During marathon training I did a home power yoga DVD half-a-dozen times, so I will probably re-visit that. Swimming is the other activity that I've been considering. Running wise, I've been looking at races for 2019. My shift work makes to tricky to fit in some of the races I'd like, but I've some races from 5km-10mile earmarked before DCM training starts in July.

Post DCM: Week 4

Monday - Brisk 30 minute walk

Tuesday - 3 miles easy/moderate pace (10:10/mi)

Wednesday - Brisk 30 minute walk

Friday - 2.5 miles easy pace (10:21/mi)

Saturday - Clonmel Parkrun (24:08)
    After 27 days, this was my first real effort run since DCM, and also my first time running at anything close to 5k pace since an 8km race last May! I was a bit apprehensive about this beforehand, as 07:xx minute miles are kind of inconceivable when all you've ran for months is 10:xx and the odd 09:xx. Clonmel parkrun is 2-and-a-bit loops of the perimeter of a racecourse, with a looong uphill drag to be tackled twice. I took the first loop pretty conservatively, then gradually upped the effort as the run went on. Finished in 24:08, which is close enough to my 23:26 parkrun PB, so I was very happy.
    Splits were 8:38; 7:41; 7:26 and 5:59 for the last .07 of a mile. Avg pace 7:52/mi.

I really enjoyed racing this, and running fast. I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I was away with the OH for Saturday afternoon and night, and had booked a "deep tissue massage" where we were staying. I went with that one because I figured it would be good for my legs. Turns out it was a back massage! Didn't do me any harm anyway, felt nice and loose afterwards.

I'll maintain the easy paces this week, while adding in an additional run in preparation for the start of base building next week. On the cusp of 1,000 miles for the year too!

Time to catch up on the past fortnight:
    Monday 26th November: 3 miles easy (10.34/mi)
    Tuesday 27th November: 4 miles easy (10.20/mi)
    Thursday 29th November: 3 miles easy (10.20/mi)

Those runs were at nominal easy paces, I was just going by feel really. On the Friday I worked out my training paces for the base building plan, which put the above paces in the easy/moderate bracket. To work out my paces I used the recent parkrun, and also the half marathon I ran during DCM training. Both race times gave me training paces within a few seconds of each other, so I'm happy enough to roll with those for the moment. The paces are probably a touch on the conservative side, given that the parkrun was on a hiily course, and not a 100% flat out effort, but I figure it's no harm to use those paces for a couple of weeks. I've a 4 mile race on Stephens' Day, so I'll recalculate the training paces following that. Anyway, back to the runs:

Saturday 1st December: 4 miles easy (11:18/mi)
    Monday 3rd December: Base Building Day 1, 45 mins very easy (11:58/mi)

When I saw the easy and very easy paces that the calculator threw out, I thought they looked so slow, and they were. Took a bit of getting used to, but felt fine after 10 minutes, and I managed to hold myself at the prescribed pace for the remainder of both runs. Unfortunately, I came down with a cold on Tuesday and that put paid to my running for the remainder of the week. I'm recovered now, and plan to get out this evening for a very easy 45 minutes. My work schedule will make regular running a challenge over the next few weeks, but I hope to squeeze in enough to keep the base building plan on track.

In better news, I passed the 1,000 mile for 2018 last weekend, so I figure it's a good time to introduce a monthly mileage table to the log.
    I've gone back as far as my Garmin records allowed, which neatly brought me to January '16:

Month|2016|2017|2018
    January|21|5|51
    February|19||51
    March|27||62
    April|3||55
    May|1|18|74
    June|2|38|96
    July||33|129
    August||49|137
    September|1|25|179
    October|4|42|136
    November|6|40|34
    December||51|
    Total (mi)|83|301|

Following a rest to see off a cold last week, I re-started the Base Building plan this week.

Sat 8th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.7 miles @ 11:58/mi

Sun 9th Dec - 60 mins progression run (easy to MP), plus cooldown: 7.1 miles @ 10:31/mi average pace

This was my first attempt at a progression run, and also my first attempt at using my watch to set-up a session. Unfortunately, I setup the second step as 15 miles duration, rather than 15 minutes. From there, it's a long story, but I ended up running the correct paces, but more from memory than the watch. Also, got stopped for directions by a motorist during the MP bit, which was annoying. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would otherwise have, just because I spent so much time having to remember paces.

Mon 10th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.8 miles @ 12:01/mi

Tues 11th Dec -

Weds 12th Dec - 40 mins easy + 10x100m strides + cooldown: 7.4 miles @ 10:50/mi average pace

I really enjoyed this one. Felt it a bit in the legs afterwards, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Thu 13th Dec - 90 mins easy 45 mins easy: 3.9 miles @ 11:19/mi
    This was supposed to be a 90 minute easy run, and that was my intention setting out, but I just felt awful after about 2 miles of this one. I've come to the conclusion that I went out with too many layers on and just overheated. I debated for a good mile whether or not I'd keep going, but in the end decided to finish off a smaller loop than planned. Actually felt better over the closing mile or so, once the decision had been made to cut the run short.

Fri 14th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.7 miles @ 11:55/mi
    I'm working all day Saturday, and with the weather forecast to be terrible, I decided to kick off week 2 of the base building plan yesterday instead. It was a nice rain soaked run, and I showed no further ill-effects of the previous days' aborted run. I'm getting pretty good at running slow.

In other news for the week - I've finally made the move to porridge, and surprisingly enough I'm liking it so far!
    Plan for this week is just to keep on with week 2 of the Base Building plan. I'm enjoying following a plan again.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

This was my first attempt at a progression run, and also my first attempt at using my watch to set-up a session. Unfortunately, I setup the second step as 15 miles duration, rather than 15 minutes. From there, it's a long story, but I ended up running the correct paces, but more from memory than the watch. Also, got stopped for directions by a motorist during the MP bit, which was annoying. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would otherwise have, just because I spent so much time having to remember paces.

I'm forever setting runs up skewways. If it happens again, you can hit the lap button on your watch and it will skip to the next segment.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'm forever setting runs up skewways. If it happens again, you can hit the lap button on your watch and it will skip to the next segment.

Thanks. I figured out that about the lap button alright, but I discovered it 9 minutes into the planned 15 minute segment, and of course I still wanted to complete the planned 15 minutes. This meant that I spent the last 6 minutes of each segment running different paces to what the watch was telling me too. Just too much mental space wasted on working out paces, but at least I learned a bit about the watch. :cool:

It's great to hear you're enjoying the plan. Nice week there!

Sat 15th Dec -

Sun 16th Dec - 45 mins moderate (+ warm-up and cooldown): 6.5 miles @ 10:32/mi average pace
    I was looking forward to this one, but it turned into a bit of a struggle. It was done at the end of a long day at work, and I think I wore a layer too many again.

Mon 17th Dec - 45 mins very easy: 3.8 miles @ 11:50/mi
    Slightly faster than my usual very easy pace, but still within the prescribed range. I just settled into this pace and locked in at it. I'm surprised how easy I'm finding it to run slow.

Tues 18th Dec -

Weds 19th Dec - 40 mins easy + 5 mins threshold + cooldown: 5.8 miles @ 10:52/mi average pace
    The threshold bit was nice. I always look forward to these type of sessions where a bit of speed and variety is injected into things.

Thu 20th Dec - 90 mins easy: 7.9 miles @ 11:19/mi
    Longest Run since DCM!

Fri 21st Dec -

Sat 22nd Dec -

A bit of a scaled down report this week. I just tipped along at the base building plan with no major dramas. I'll be taking a mini pause on the plan now for a week or so, due to Christmas festivities and also a 4 mile race on the 26th. Couple of scoops scheduled for tonight, so hopefully I'll be in shape to get in a run tomorrow. I've seen Huzzah! and ReeReeG try a workout as a sharpener before a race (6x1min @ VO2 max, 2 min recoveries), so I'll give that a whirl tomorrow hopefully.

Then it's the 4 miler on Stephen's Day. Not sure what to expect there to be honest. I think it's a flat enough course, but it's been so long since I've raced short distances properly that I've no idea what I'm capable of. Sub 32 mins should be well doable, sub 31 probably a realistic target, and sub 30 a tad out of reach just yet. I'll know more after this one I guess, and have new training paces to work off hopefully. Post race I'll try a few recovery miles the day after, then back into week 3 of base building next weekend, all going well.

Sun 23rd Dec: 6 x 1 min @ VO2 max, with 2 min recoveries. 48 mins, 4.42 miles @ 10.52/mi avg.
    As I mentioned last week, this session was used as a tune-up of sorts for the forthcoming 4 mile race. Target VO2 max pace was 7:30 - 7:22. None of the reps fell within that range, but most were close enough; 7:31, 7:14, 7:33, 7:14, 7:51, 7:33. Really enjoyed this one, felt good to stretch the legs, although I did wonder how I was going to manage to hold a 7:30 pace for 4 miles.

Mon 24th Dec:

Tue 25th Dec:

Wed 26th Dec: Clonmel AC Stephen's Day 4 miler. Official time: 29:13
    Got into Clonmel about 45 minutes before the start. Knocked out a few stretches and got in a bit of light jogging to warm up. Lots of people were commenting on the decent weather, as apparently previous years had been hampered by poor weather. This was my first attempt at a 4 miler, and also my first attempt at a short race since last May. I had a plan to go 8:00 and 7:40 for the first two miles, then depending how I felt either keep at 7:40 for a 31:00 finish, or pick it up if I could and try sneak a sub 30. But all that went out the window as I tore out the gate at a 7:10 pace. The pace felt manageable, but I did worry that I'd pay for it over the closing stages so I tried to hold the pace in check a touch. Felt my shin aching around the mile mark, but that wore off pretty swiftly. I maintained a good pace to halfway but as we turned for home, the breeze was now into our faces. I tried to reign myself in slightly over the third mile, to leave something for a finishing burst. By the time the final mile came around it was just a matter of grinding away and maintaining the pace. Crossed the line very happy that I'd smashed my sub 30 dream target. Mile paces were 7:12, 7:24, 7:24, 7:17. This was a nice course, net downhill and a great turnout of over 500 runners. I'll have another pop at this distance in April or May in another local race. That'll be a hillier course, but I've a time to aim at now.

Thu 27th Dec: 20 mins recovery at 11:46/mi = 1.78 miles.
    This was my first spin on the latest addition to my running equipment - a treadmill. I was pretty stiff following the previous days exertions and this helped loosen me out a good deal. I did learn a lot about treadmill running as a result of this initial foray. Basic stuff like open a window, and don't hold onto the bars, as well as paces. As I live in the unlit countryside, the treadmill should be useful from time to time.

Fri 28th Dec:

Sat 29th Dec:
    I had penciled in a 60 mins very easy for this day, but I was still feeling it a bit in the legs following the 4 miler, so decided an extra days rest would serve me better.

Sun 30th Dec: 60 mins very easy. 5.22mi @ 11:30/mi.
    Back into the base building plan at week 3. I was feeling much better now, and glad I took the extra days rest. My new very easy pace is 10:35 - 11:21, almost a minute faster than previously. This run was slower than that, possibly due to a hillier route than I've used recently, an adjustment to the new paces, and still a bit of the 4 miler in the legs.

So, low enough mileage over the Christmas break so far, but some good stuff in there I reckon. The next target is a local 5km on 20th January, followed by the Dungarvan 10 miler on February 3rd. That will mark the end of the base building plan, which I'll follow up with the 5k/10k grads plan. I'm hoping to get in a race every 4 weeks or so over the first 6/7 months of 2019, mainly in the 5k/10k range once the Dungarvan 10 miler is done.

Updated PB's table:
    4 mile | 29:13 | Dec '18
    HM | 1:54:00 | Aug '18

Fantastic, well done!! Great to blow the target completely out of the water - a nice late Christmas present :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great progress made this year, I really wish you joined me on the 4.10 train at DCM, but I’d say you do to at this stage. Keep it going into 2019.

eyrie wrote: »
    Fantastic, well done!! Great to blow the target completely out of the water - a nice late Christmas present :D

Thanks C, I was really happy with it. It was nice to be back in a race situation again too, they are a great buzz.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Great progress made this year, I really wish you joined me on the 4.10 train at DCM, but I’d say you do to at this stage. Keep it going into 2019.

Thanks for taking an interest, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm sure I would have fared better on the day if I had joined your DCM train, but the way things worked out I learned a lot about myself, setting targets, pacing and listening to advise :pac:, so it was a valuable experience from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done A, great racing!!

Fantastic racing - really well paced and congrats on exceeding your expectations. I knew your paces were too easy and that it wouldn't be long before you'd new paces to train with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Wow - fantastic race. That was brilliant. Best of luck for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Just wanted to add my congrats on the race A though I'm not a bit surprised. I knew you were fast! Well done, its very much deserved.

Great to see your progress and attitude to both training and racing. The consistency will pay big dividends in the long term. Keep her lit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Brilliant way to round out the year with that race!

Thanks very much to everyone for all the positive comments recently, they are really appreciated and it really does give me a boost to see people taking an interest in my progress. Thanks again!! Anyway, back to the running:

Mon 31st Dec: 60 mins progression run, 7.51 mi @ 9:59/mi avg pace.
    I broke this into 4 x 15 minute blocks from easy to MP. I used planned MP (9:09) as if had I used actual MP (9:36) there would have been very little scope for progression. Enjoyed this run, and kept paces in correct ranges throughout.

Tue 1st Jan 60 mins very easy, 5.42 mi @ 11:04/mi
    This was an early morning run by my standards (09:00) and I really enjoyed. Roads were quiet with the day that was in it, and this was just a lovely run. I hope to get in some more early morning runs when possible as I really enjoyed this one. Paces spot on.

Wed 2nd Jan:

Thu 3rd Jan:
    50 min mix (9 easy, 1 hard), 7.8mi @ 10:14/mi avg.
    Now this was fun. Speeds for the hard segments were 7:16; 6:41; 6:48; 6:12; 6:48. Those paces come in between Aerobic power and Anaerobic endurance when referenced against my current training paces. Effort felt right and I felt suitably recovered for the next rep each time. However, I did feel it in the legs for the next days long run.....

Fri 4th Jan: 1 hour 45 mins easy, 9.76 mi @ 10:45/mi.
    This was a slog. Paces came out in the very easy range as opposed to easy as per plan. But that was all I could muster. I figure a few factors contributed to this being a tough one:
    1 - The previous days efforts.
    2 - I chose what was a hilly enough route. Rookie mistake.
    3 - This was my longest run since DCM.
    4 - This was my first week training with new paces, so I would have been covering more ground all week anyway, so an accumulative fatigue worked against me.

Felt like pulling the plug on this run a few times during it, and maybe I should have, but I persevered and got it done. 3 weeks of the base building plan down.

Sat 5th Jan:

Sun 6th Jan: 60 mins very easy, 5.52 mi @ 10:52/mi
    This was my first opportunity to run on grass in quite a while, so I took advantage. A pretty boring run, but legs felt reasonably fresh.

So this week brought an end to 2018, meaning it's time to update my mileage table. Very pleased to pass the 1,000 mile barrier for the year. 1,500 seems like a reasonable goal for 2019, but we'll see how it goes.

Month|2016|2017|2018
    January|21|5|51
    February|19||51
    March|27||62
    April|3||55
    May|1|18|74
    June|2|38|96
    July||33|129
    August||49|137
    September|1|25|179
    October|4|42|131
    November|6|40|34
    December||51|84
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

That was a brilliant race performance on St. Stephen's too, congratulations. Great progression over the last 3 years and a lot more to come this year too no doubt about it! You're one to watch ;)

Advertisement