Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Enjoy the festivities A! What a year it's been for you, one deserved success after another.
    Here's to more of the same for 2020!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on a brilliant year of running A.
    Congrats again on guiding all the Novices home and the tremendous body of advice, effort and guidance you provided throughout that thread. I didn't think it was possible but you raised the bar again.

Looking forward to following your upward graph throughout 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Happy belated birthday! Hope you’ve a great Christmas and best of luck in the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thanks again A for leading us novices through the DCM training this year, while achieving some great PBs yourself. I've no doubt that your running will go to the next level with the plan you're currently following. I bet after the 26th you'll have to increase those training paces yet again :p

Merry Christmas to you and good luck Stephens day (I presume you're doing the Clonmel 4 miler)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on the 26th
    Cheers D!
    coogy wrote: »
    Enjoy the festivities A! What a year it's been for you, one deserved success after another.
    Here's to more of the same for 2020!!
    Cheers K! I look on in awe at your regular 6am runs over the past few weeks... amazing stuff!
    Congrats on a brilliant year of running A.
    Congrats again on guiding all the Novices home and the tremendous body of advice, effort and guidance you provided throughout that thread. I didn't think it was possible but you raised the bar again.

Looking forward to following your upward graph throughout 2020.
    Cheers J. I'm not quite finished with 2019 just yet though :pac:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Happy belated birthday! Hope you’ve a great Christmas and best of luck in the 26th.
    Thanks E!!!!! Happy Birthday to you too :D
    Treviso wrote: »
    Thanks again A for leading us novices through the DCM training this year, while achieving some great PBs yourself. I've no doubt that your running will go to the next level with the plan you're currently following. I bet after the 26th you'll have to increase those training paces yet again :p

Merry Christmas to you and good luck Stephens day (I presume you're doing the Clonmel 4 miler)
    Thanks T! Being a mentor was very much a highlight of the year for me, and it's great to see so many of the novices doing really great training since DCM... you and plenty of your fellow grads are poised for great things in 2020.

Yeah, it's the Clonmel 4 miler I'm doing. Did it last year too, and the Clonmel 10k in May covers the same ground, so I know the route very well. Best of luck in Togher!

• Advertisement

23rd December - 29th December

Monday: 4 miles recovery @ 10:37
    Tuesday: 4 miles recovery @ 10:13
    Two handy runs early in the week as part of a mini-taper.

Wednesday:
    Rest. Plenty of running-related presents were gratefully received. There was the usual socks and tops, plus a HR chest strap and some books - the highly recommended in these parts 'What I talk about when I talk about running' and also Hanson's Half Marathon Method. I'm enjoying reading the Hanson's one at the moment, lots of really good stuff in there, although the greater flexibility of the P&L plans appeals to me more right now.

Thursday: Clonmel AC St. Stephens Day 4 miler - 27:25
    I was a bit disappointed with this in the immediate aftermath to be honest. Not so much with the time, although I had hoped to be closer to 27:00 - this was still a PB, an improvement of 1:48 from the same race last year, and 23 seconds faster than Glenville last month.

The splits tell the story - 6:33, 6:49, 7:01, 7:03. I started out too fast and suffered for the last 2.5 miles. The plan had been to try hold a 6:50 pace for the first two miles, then see how things were around half way and try push on if possible, or hang on if required. I'm not sure why, but my head just wasn't in the game for this one. Maybe it was the excitement and excesses of the previous day, and I was up a few times during the night with one of the kids, which won't have helped, but anyway the focus just wasn't there. I don't remember too many specifics from the race, just that I started out too fast, but felt fine for the first 1.5 miles and after that my legs felt like lead. I just could not move faster than 7 min/mile pace for those last 2.5 miles. I seriously considered stepping off the course around the 2 mile mark, but persevered. I was incapable of latching onto runners as they passed me. The last 2 miles were just about clinging on and cursing this stupid distance :pac:

So yeah, I was initially a bit disappointed with how I raced this, but on reflection I'm happier. This was still a significant PB, and Garmin gave me a 5k PB too (of one second!). As WW wisely pointed out on strava, "take anything you can get this time of year." I'm looking forward to having a proper cut of the shorter stuff again next summer, it definitely takes practice to get used to that unique pain.

Friday: 3 miles recovery @ 10:28
    Felt it in the legs from the day before, but I do prefer a few recovery miles to complete rest the day after a race.

Saturday:
    Rest

Sunday: 6.15 miles GA @ 10:04
    Had only planned on 4 miles, but kept going a bit longer as I was enjoying it. Nice out too - I had to take off the gloves as I was getting too warm.

23.4 miles for the week. This week marked the end of the post-DCM mini-block of recovery and base building. I'm very pleased with how the past two months have gone, and attention now turns to Mallow in 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your PB but i totally get what you mean about not feeling it in a race! I admitted the other day that i actually thought about stopping or even worse faking an injury during Jingle bells:eek: Just like you i persevered & was very happy i did! So huge well done on not giving up & finishing the race :D

Well done on your PB but i totally get what you mean about not feeling it in a race! I admitted the other day that i actually thought about stopping or even worse faking an injury during Jingle bells:eek: Just like you i persevered & was very happy i did! So huge well done on not giving up & finishing the race :D

When I'm going through it, it's the worst feeling ever. But it vanishes fairly soon after the finishing line and before long I'm wondering if I could have pushed harder :rolleyes:

I always learn more from the races that don't go to plan. In this case, the main lesson for me was preparation. We can't give all races DCM levels of pre-race prep of course, but this was a nice reminder that some level of focus is required in the day or two before any race, at least for me. So, maybe a Stephen's Day race is not the best idea for me in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done on collecting another PB over the same distance and good that after reflection you were happier with the achievement. I agree with 1 or 2 day focus requirement also. I had a similar instance in a 5k where I wasn't happy how I paced it at end of November due to a busy previous day

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

A fantastic year of very solid training and racing.

• Advertisement

2019 Review

2019 was a very good year for me. First and foremost, off the back of following my first proper training plan for DCM '18, I continued running on a consistent and structured (and sensible :pac:) basis. I'm now at a stage where running is an established part of my daily routine - I don't question it, I just do it. A lot of thanks is due to the community here, and on strava, and my fellow 2018 novices for helping my love of running grow - thanks guys!

I followed the boards grads plans pretty much all year, and, aside from the odd (thankfully brief) niggle-related interruption, I managed to run 5 days a week consistently through the first half of the year, moved more towards 6 days per week during the marathon block. Looking back, this frequency would have blown my mind before I joined the 2018 novices thread. Easy does it indeed! All going well I will try to crack the 2,000 mile mark in 2020.

Monthly mileage table:
    Month|2016|2017|2018|2019
    January|21|5|51|131
    February|19||51|119
    March|27||62|112
    April|3||55|142
    May|1|18|74|120
    June|2|38|96|135
    July||33|129|175
    August||49|137|184
    September|1|25|179|211
    October|4|42|131|162
    November|6|40|34|70
    December||51|84|153
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083|1714

Race wise, my A goal for 2019 was DCM, and my B goal was the 10k distance in the first six months of the year. As you would expect given that I ran more and smarter than ever before, I achieved PB's across the board in 2019. It is very satisfying to see the progress. The Clonmel 10k in May was a huge highlight for me - I was on the limit for the final 4 miles but just kept pushing and achieved the sub 45 aim. DCM also went to plan and I banished any disappointment of the previous year. PB improvements look like this:

Distance|2018|2019
    5k | 23:18 | 21:08
    4 mile | 29:13 | 27:25
    8k |38:07|35:58
    10k | 48:29 | 44:48
    10 mile | 1:23:17 | 1:18:22
    HM | 1:54:00 | 1:43:37
    Marathon | 4:13:21 | 3:47:15

A highlight of the year was being asked to mentor the 2019 novices. A very rewarding experience, and it's great to see many of the novices have hung around and are making great contributions to the forum. Thanks again to Huzzah! and ReeReeG for all the assistance and support throughout the novices thread!

Looking ahead to 2020 - more of the same really. Stay consistent and the results will follow. Race wise, there will be no marathon this year - a 10 mile block leading to Mallow in March, will be followed by a 5k block leading into the summer. After that, maybe a Half next winter, possibly Waterford. I'd like to bring my 10 mile and HM times more in line with what my shorter PB's suggest, hence the current 10 mile plan, and likely HM block later in the year.

Thanks for reading, and best of luck to everyone here with all their running goals in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    2019 Review

2019 was a very good year for me. First and foremost, off the back of following my first proper training plan for DCM '18, I continued running on a consistent and structured (and sensible :pac:) basis. I'm now at a stage where running is an established part of my daily routine - I don't question it, I just do it. A lot of thanks is due to the community here, and on strava, and my fellow 2018 novices for helping my love of running grow - thanks guys!

I followed the boards grads plans pretty much all year, and, aside from the odd (thankfully brief) niggle-related interruption, I managed to run 5 days a week consistently through the first half of the year, moved more towards 6 days per week during the marathon block. Looking back, this frequency would have blown my mind before I joined the 2018 novices thread. Easy does it indeed! All going well I will try to crack the 2,000 mile mark in 2020.

Monthly mileage table:
    Month|2016|2017|2018|2019
    January|21|5|51|131
    February|19||51|119
    March|27||62|112
    April|3||55|142
    May|1|18|74|120
    June|2|38|96|135
    July||33|129|175
    August||49|137|184
    September|1|25|179|211
    October|4|42|131|162
    November|6|40|34|70
    December||51|84|153
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083|1714

Race wise, my A goal for 2019 was DCM, and my B goal was the 10k distance in the first six months of the year. As you would expect given that I ran more and smarter than ever before, I achieved PB's across the board in 2019. It is very satisfying to see the progress. The Clonmel 10k in May was a huge highlight for me - I was on the limit for the final 4 miles but just kept pushing and achieved the sub 45 aim. DCM also went to plan and I banished any disappointment of the previous year. PB improvements look like this:

Distance|2018|2019
    5k | 23:18 | 21:08
    4 mile | 29:13 | 27:25
    8k |38:07|35:58
    10k | 48:29 | 44:48
    10 mile | 1:23:17 | 1:18:22
    HM | 1:54:00 | 1:43:37
    Marathon | 4:13:21 | 3:47:15

A highlight of the year was being asked to mentor the 2019 novices. A very rewarding experience, and it's great to see many of the novices have hung around and are making great contributions to the forum. Thanks again to Huzzah! and ReeReeG for all the assistance and support throughout the novices thread!

Looking ahead to 2020 - more of the same really. Stay consistent and the results will follow. Race wise, there will be no marathon this year - a 10 mile block leading to Mallow in March, will be followed by a 5k block leading into the summer. After that, maybe a Half next winter, possibly Waterford. I'd like to bring my 10 mile and HM times more in line with what my shorter PB's suggest, hence the current 10 mile plan, and likely HM block later in the year.

Thanks for reading, and best of luck to everyone here with all their running goals in 2020.

Fantastic year Mr. G. Lots to be very proud of. Best of luck for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Well done on a great year Mr G and thanks again for tutoring us Novices in 2019. It wouldn't have been such a success without you. Best of luck for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Best of Luck for 2020. Well done on a great 2019!

30th December - 5th January

This is the first week of a 12-week plan to the Mallow 10 miler in March. I'm following the P&L FRR 31-45 mpw plan, although I'll be adding a few GA or recovery miles most weeks to make it more of a 35-50 plan.

Monday: 9.20 miles GA @ 9:48
    A little bit of juggling with the runs this week. Did GA miles here instead of endurance just to ease the legs back into things following last weeks 4 mile race. I did chuck a big climb in towards the end, so there was some bit of "stuff" involved. A very nice run.

Tuesday: 3.27 miles recovery @ 10:42
    A few handy miles to round out 2019. Thanks for all the nice comments regarding my year - very happy with the progress made!

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday: 7.28 miles GA + speed @ 9:58
    4 miles GA, followed by 6 x 12s hills, then 6 x 100m strides. Late in the evening by the time I set out for this - felt like ages since I'd ran. The hills were a nice release - recoveries were jog back down to the start. Double checked this after as I remember kellygirl and others had super long recoveries for similar hill work, but yeah, the book specified just jog back as recovery. Left hamstring felt a touch tight afterwards - a product of sporadic stretching and foam rolling over the festive period I reckon.

Friday: 9.09 miles endurance @ 9:13
    8 miles endurance plus a mile cool down. Got easier as it went. First few miles were tough and I found it hard to imagine lifting the pace but started enjoying it as I came off the back roads onto the straighter "main" road, and the paces were fine as the miles racked up.

Saturday: 2.08 miles recovery @ 10:49
    Couple of handy miles just to get the legs moving between tougher days.

Sunday: 7.53 miles LT @ 8:58
    2 x 12 mins at 7:02-7:12, with 4 mins jog recovery. New, more testing paces for this, based on my 4 mile time. This was tough going. I'd doubt very much that I could maintain this pace for an hour as mentioned in the book. As per the book, a mile or so warm-up was followed by a few strides, then into the LT stuff. Really struggled to hit the pace for the first set, although looking back it was generally more uphill than anything, and the second set was also less than flat. I'll try and find more even terrain for the next one of these. Paces were 7:25, 7:10; 7:07, 7:13. A horrible day out, and a less than ideal nights sleep probably didn't help either. Passed a fellow runner in the lashing rain who made a wipers motion followed by a huge smile and high five :D

38.4 miles for the week. A solid start to the plan. There's a bit more stuff in the P&L plans than I'm used to, so I'll try and monitor that as the weeks progress and make sure it doesn't become too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great week! I'm interested to see how you get on with that plan :) and how you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

2 x 12 mins at 7:02-7:12, with 4 mins jog recovery. New, more testing paces for this, based on my 4 mile time. This was tough going. I'd doubt very much that I could maintain this pace for an hour as mentioned in the book. As per the book, a mile or so warm-up was followed by a few strides, then into the LT stuff.

You'd actually be surprised at whether you'd be able to maintain this pace for an hour. I had similar thoughts going into Mallow 10 and Charleville HM races, but was able to do it. Hopefully your plan will have a lot more LT miles for you to gain more confidence over this pace
    38.4 miles for the week. A solid start to the plan. There's a bit more stuff in the P&L plans than I'm used to, so I'll try and monitor that as the weeks progress and make sure it doesn't become too much.

I knew a mentor who used to say trust in the plan :D Embrace the stuff, you'll soon get used to it and it will really bring you on. Once you're alternating easy days and tough ones, you should be good.

I think 2020 will be an even better running year for you than 2019 (if that's even possible). Looking forward to seeing the progress in this log

30th December - 5th January

2 x 12 mins at 7:02-7:12, with 4 mins jog recovery. New, more testing paces for this, based on my 4 mile time. This was tough going. I'd doubt very much that I could maintain this pace for an hour as mentioned in the book. As per the book, a mile or so warm-up was followed by a few strides, then into the LT stuff. Really struggled to hit the pace for the first set, although looking back it was generally more uphill than anything, and the second set was also less than flat. I'll try and find more even terrain for the next one of these. Paces were 7:25, 7:10; 7:07, 7:13.

I tend to mostly do LT sessions off HR and they are considerably slower than the LT pace specified in the book or actually on any calculator. When i do LT off HR my pace is closer to my Tempo pace than Threshold pace and i do feel i can maintain my LTHR for an hour (at a push), LT Pace definitely not, so you're not alone there. But i bet you will get more used to it as the weeks go on, that's the idea i suppose!

I'll be following closely, very interested to see how you find the plan, it's definitely my most read running book, i keep going back to it even though i'm not following the plans specifically.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great week! I'm interested to see how you get on with that plan :) and how you like it.
    Cheers V. All going well, I intend following the FRR plan for my 5k block after this too, so hopefully these plans agree with me. The main noticeable difference really from what I was used to with the grads plans are the endurance runs. It feels like a natural progression at this stage to add a small bit of spice to the long runs anyway, and I've really enjoyed each endurance run so far.
    Treviso wrote: »
    You'd actually be surprised at whether you'd be able to maintain this pace for an hour. I had similar thoughts going into Mallow 10 and Charleville HM races, but was able to do it. Hopefully your plan will have a lot more LT miles for you to gain more confidence over this pace

I knew a mentor who used to say trust in the plan :D Embrace the stuff, you'll soon get used to it and it will really bring you on. Once you're alternating easy days and tough ones, you should be good.

I think 2020 will be an even better running year for you than 2019 (if that's even possible). Looking forward to seeing the progress in this log
    Yeah, there are weekly LT runs for the first 6 or so weeks, topping out at a 36 minute whopper!

I went back and looked at my 10k PB from last July, and the pace for that was 7:13/mile (44:48), which is just outside the current LT paces (7:12-7:02). So, with a bit of improvement in the six months since, you'd expect that I'd go close to holding that pace for an hour alright.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I tend to mostly do LT sessions off HR and they are considerably slower than the LT pace specified in the book or actually on any calculator. When i do LT off HR my pace is closer to my Tempo pace than Threshold pace and i do feel i can maintain my LTHR for an hour (at a push), LT Pace definitely not, so you're not alone there. But i bet you will get more used to it as the weeks go on, that's the idea i suppose!

I'll be following closely, very interested to see how you find the plan, it's definitely my most read running book, i keep going back to it even though i'm not following the plans specifically.
    The LT sessions get a touch longer each week - and bizarrely, even though it's only a day later I can't wait to see how I get on with the next one :D! That's interesting regarding the HR, you've piqued my interest - out of curiousity now I'll have to go away and do some maths and see how the HR zones compare to what I did yesterday! FRR is a great book for sure.. lots of quality info in there and easy to dip in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

2 x 12 mins at 7:02-7:12, with 4 mins jog recovery. New, more testing paces for this, based on my 4 mile time. This was tough going. I'd doubt very much that I could maintain this pace for an hour as mentioned in the book. As per the book, a mile or so warm-up was followed by a few strides, then into the LT stuff. Really struggled to hit the pace for the first set, although looking back it was generally more uphill than anything, and the second set was also less than flat. I'll try and find more even terrain for the next one of these. Paces were 7:25, 7:10; 7:07, 7:13. A horrible day out, and a less than ideal nights sleep probably didn't help either. Passed a fellow runner in the lashing rain who made a wipers motion followed by a huge smile and high five :D

I always did the FRR LT sessions by HR as well. Effort really is king for this type of session. If you're throwing hills into the mix, it's very hard to run these by pace only.

Good luck with the plan :)

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I always did the FRR LT sessions by HR as well. Effort really is king for this type of session. If you're throwing hills into the mix, it's very hard to run these by pace only.

Good luck with the plan :)

Cheers E!

FWIW, I went back and checked my HR for that session and how it stacked up against the recommended ranges.

Using a recent max HR of 196 (using the watch) from my race a couple of weeks ago, and a resting HR of 57 (GC average for last 4 weeks) the recommended ranges come in as:
    Maximal HR (80-91%) = 157-178
    Heart Rate Reserve (75-88%) = 161-179
    I could have used higher Max figures from the Dublin Half (198) or Clonmel 10k last May (203), but went with something recent, and given that they were all taken using the watch there is a fair margin of error, but still, useful as a starting point.

My HR for the session, using the HR strap, was as follows:
    Rep|Distance|Avg HR|Max HR
    1 | 1.0| 171 |182
    1 | 0.64| 178 |182
    2 | 1.0| 176 |183
    2 | 0.68| 185 |189

So for most of it I was operating at the upper end of the range, and for the last bit I was above the range. Pace wise I was mainly in the right areas, although too slow for the first mile. Next one of these is on Saturday, so I'll try a more friendly route and see how it compares.

6th January - 12th January

Monday: 11.08 miles endurance @ 9:23 avg
    The work schedule dictated that this would be the only weekday where I'd be able to get in anything substantial, so this was a meld of last weeks LR and this weeks midweek run. Felt it a bit in the legs early on following the previous days LT session, but picked up as I went on and enjoyed it in the end.

Tuesday: 3.51 miles recovery @ 10:24
    A lunchtime run which felt very ploddy in parts, the legs just felt heavy. Probably to be expected given it was preceded by two tougher days.

Wednesday: 5.06 miles GA + speed @ 9:41 avg
    This needed to be a bit shorter than the plan suggested to keep it within the lunch hour. The speed bit was 8x100m strides. Felt a lot fresher than the day before and the strides were nice and purposeful.

Thursday: Swimming
    No running but I did have the first of eight swimming lessons over the coming weeks. In hindsight, I should have taken Tuesday as a rest day and did those recovery miles here, so I'll look to rectify that in future weeks. Loved the swimming - I did a few lessons many moons ago so I'm not the worst, but it's great to re-learn what had become a rusty skill. After an initial assessment of the newbies, I was put into a mid-level group, which was a nice boost! I was looking forward to next week straight away, the only downside was I kept bumping my head off the end of the pool when we did the no-hands backstroke. :rolleyes:

Friday: 5 miles GA @ 9:46
    Nice lunchtime miles through a quiet UL. Just trying to keep the effort in the right area - i.e. not super easy.

Saturday: 8.29 miles LT @ 8:33 avg]
    Thanks for all the feedback last week regarding these LT sessions - lots of food for thought. I chose a much flatter route this week - along the Suir Blueway from Clonmel.
    Slight step up in the session this week - it would be 16 mins LT, 4 mins recovery, 12 mins LT. Target paces were 7:02-7:12, and HR should be 160-179 roughly.
    Rep|Distance|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR
    1 | 1.0|7:14| 176 |183
    1 | 1.0|7:15| 181 |185
    1 | 0.21|7:14| 181 |183
    2 | 1.0| 7:25|179 |185
    2 | 0.61|7:33| 181 |184

The weather wasn't too bad for the first half of this out-and-back route. In the early going I was regretting the decision to wear the jacket, but the rain appeared before too long. The first rep was ok, although I couldn't quite hit the paces. HR was on or slightly above the higher end of the range. Turned back during the 4 mins recovery and my god - the wind and rain was brutal. This wind hadn't been there on the way out to blow me on, but now it had appeared and was right into my face. Paces went out the window here and it was all just about keeping the effort right. I made a semi-decent fist of that I think.

I think I might run the LT session by HR next week and see how that goes. I just felt like I was working a bit too hard on the first rep and still not hitting the paces. The weather obviously affected the second rep, but overall, this felt a touch above "comfortably hard"

Sunday: 11.03 miles endurance @ 9:23 avg
    It's become standard now for these endurance runs that the early miles feel tougher than the later ones. In the early going the legs feel a bit heavy and I question how I'll be able to lift the paces in the later miles, but once I hit the middle miles I'm tipping along nicely and the lift in pace is no issue. I think I say it every week, but I love these runs - there is just a great sense of satisfaction after them.

44 miles for the week. With no race in January it's a welcome chance to log consistent miles and I feel like I'm building nicely. I just need to structure the week a little better now with swimming in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hey A, just a quick one about last week's speed session. How tough of a hill did you pick for it? Did you do the 12 seconds flat out and did you set your watch for it or just check it when ya though time was up?

Hey A, just a quick one about last week's speed session. How tough of a hill did you pick for it? Did you do the 12 seconds flat out and did you set your watch for it or just check it when ya though time was up?

I picked a decent enough hill, probably slightly less than the 6% gradient I would have used previously. It won't need to be too long for the 12 seconds. I wasn't at full tilt as I noted the book mentioned being cautious with the first few of these sessions as there is a small injury risk.

I did program it into the watch yeah - felt very much like overkill, but it allowed me to concentrate on the running and my form and just wait for the beep.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Fair play on starting up the swimming lessons again. It'll get you Ironman ready for 2021, no walls to worry about in the sea.

Are you going to do any prep race before Mallow - any target time yet?

tbukela wrote: »
    Fair play on starting up the swimming lessons again. It'll get you Ironman ready for 2021, no walls to worry about in the sea.

Are you going to do any prep race before Mallow - any target time yet?

Cheers T! Is it to early too call myself a multi-sport athlete? :)

I've plenty of prep races lined up before Mallow actually. First up is the Dungarvan 10 miler in a few weeks time. Then, the plan has two tune-up races (8k-10k), 4 and 2 weeks out from the target race, so I've the Adare 10k 4 weeks before Mallow, and maybe a parkrun 2 weeks before - although I see there's a 5k and 10k in Crosshaven that weekend which might be options, if not a bit too far to travel.

As for target time - I'll see how Dungarvan goes and try and better that anyway in Mallow, although I understand Mallow is a slightly tougher course. I did 78:22 in Dungarvan last year, narrowly missing out on a 5 minute PB. I'd like that 5 minute PB this year, so 73:22 is the rather random target for Dungarvan. Sub 70 would seem to be out of my range this year I reckon.

Saturday: 8.29 miles LT @ 8:33 avg]
    Thanks for all the feedback last week regarding these LT sessions - lots of food for thought. I chose a much flatter route this week - along the Suir Blueway from Clonmel.
    Slight step up in the session this week - it would be 16 mins LT, 4 mins recovery, 12 mins LT. Target paces were 7:02-7:12, and HR should be 160-179 roughly.
    1 | 1.0|7:14| 176 |183
    1 | 1.0|7:15| 181 |185
    1 | 0.21|7:14| 181 |183
    2 | 1.0| 7:25|179 |185
    2 | 0.61|7:33| 181 |184

The weather wasn't too bad for the first half of this out-and-back route. In the early going I was regretting the decision to wear the jacket, but the rain appeared before too long. The first rep was ok, although I couldn't quite hit the paces. HR was on or slightly above the higher end of the range. Turned back during the 4 mins recovery and my god - the wind and rain was brutal. This wind hadn't been there on the way out to blow me on, but now it had appeared and was right into my face. Paces went out the window here and it was all just about keeping the effort right. I made a semi-decent fist of that I think.

I think I might run the LT session by HR next week and see how that goes. I just felt like I was working a bit too hard on the first rep and still not hitting the paces. The weather obviously affected the second rep, but overall, this felt a touch above "comfortably hard"

A few pages after the table (Table 1.2), in the book they recommend to add 4bpm to the top end of the HR range for LT Intervals. Maybe you have already accounted for these in your range 160-179? But if not then it certainly puts your results closer to the target range. I suppose it makes some sense that LT intervals with recovery are done at a higher effort than say a straight LT run.

Either way I think combining it with RPE which you are doing is far more telling. I tend to do a body & head check during these runs to assess my effort levels and adjust accordingly.

Anyhow, great week and i especially love the plans for Ironman :P

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

You'll be racing fit for Mallow so. I've done both Dungarvan & Mallow the last two years and I prefer Mallow.

73.22 should be achievable with the paces you're hitting in the sessions and with the additional time to Mallow you could take another chunk off that.

A few pages after the table (Table 1.2), in the book they recommend to add 4bpm to the top end of the HR range for LT Intervals. Maybe you have already accounted for these in your range 160-179? But if not then it certainly puts your results closer to the target range. I suppose it makes some sense that LT intervals with recovery are done at a higher effort than say a straight LT run.

Either way I think combining it with RPE which you are doing is far more telling. I tend to do a body & head check during these runs to assess my effort levels and adjust accordingly.

Anyhow, great week and i especially love the plans for Ironman :P
    Thanks E - I hadn't spotted that line about the extra 4bpm actually - must have another look. I had an LT run again today and did it by HR this time. Once I'd settled into a rhythm I found the effort more even this time, and funnily enough paces came out roughly the same as the previous LT sessions. Totally agree on the RPE though - today I just kept asking myself if this was an effort I could honestly sustain for an hour.

I know I'm only scratching the surface of the HR stuff at the moment, but I do find it quite interesting I must say. I'd always have kept an eye on HR for easy days anyway, without knowing too much about zones and the like, but it's been very reassuring in this instance and shown me that I shouldn't stress about not hitting certain paces.

Traithlon? Haha - I've no plans to get up on a bike any time soon. I'm glad I like the swimming though - at least I know there's another activity I could enjoy if I had to take a break from the running for whatever reason.
    tbukela wrote: »
    You'll be racing fit for Mallow so. I've done both Dungarvan & Mallow the last two years and I prefer Mallow.

73.22 should be achievable with the paces you're hitting in the sessions and with the additional time to Mallow you could take another chunk off that.
    Really looking forward to Dungarvan now actually. I won't be doing much of a taper before Dungarvan which should help the Mallow time by comparison too.

• Advertisement

13th January - 19th January

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday: 8.07 miles GA + speed @ 10:17 avg
    This worked out as 3m GA, 6x12s hills, 6x100m strides, 3m GA. Weather was shocking so I stayed off the roads and took the river path from the castle. Lots of tree cover which kept the worst of the weather away, but also meant GPS was hit and miss. Jogged all the recoveries and kept them generous enough - 60-90s for the hill repeats and 90-120s for the strides. Tried to keep the focus on being relaxed.

Wednesday: 10.1 miles endurance @ 9:10 avg
    Another enjoyable endurance run, with the frustrating exception of the final fast mile. I had settled into a lovely rhythm by this stage when I got stopped for directions by a passing motorist. So frustrating when you're in the zone! Tore off way too fast after that encounter and just couldn't find the right pace again.

Thursday: 3.11 miles recovery @ 10:51
    Legs were pretty tired for this one, which is reflected in the paces. Just tipped along keeping the effort in check. Thursday evening brought week 2 of the swimming lessons. Thoroughly enjoyed it again - front crawl and treading water this week.

Friday: 8.29 miles LT @ 8:35 avg
    Talked a little about this one already in previous posts. It was 2 x 16 mins LT with a 4 minute jog recovery. Did this more on HR, while keeping half an eye on paces too. I'd picked out an out and back route which would have been out for the first rep and back for the second, but the first mile of rep 1 was into a solid wind (and slight uphill too). Felt like I was working much too hard at this stage so turned and did the second mile in the opposite direction. Typically I didn't feel much benefit from the wind heading this way. Settled into a good effort now and felt like I was in the right area from that point on. Followed the same adjusted out and back route for rep 2. Switched off a touch during the final 0.19, and I also think tree cover affected paces for the first mile of each rep. Either way - paces and HR were reasonably in line with previous attempts at this session, but the effort did feel much more even. Didn't nail this, but it felt like progress.
    1 | 1.0|7:21| 173 |182
    1 | 1.0|7:15| 177 |183
    1 | 0.2|7:08| 179 |182
    2 | 1.0|7:15|179 |184
    2 | 1.0|7:18| 181 |185
    2 | 0.19|7:25| 182 |184

Saturday:
    Rest - I had a 3 mile recovery run pencilled in here, but my left knee had been a touch sore during the week, and was worse on Friday evening. Did some stretching and foam rolling on Friday night and it seemed to do the trick as the knee was much better by Saturday. Decided to leave this run anyway to give the knee a further chance to improve. Seemed to work as it's much better now, and I've put a renewed effort into the stretching and foam rolling (again).

Sunday: 12.02 miles endurance @ 9:09 avg
    Decided to change tack for this endurance run. Up to now I'd been taking a very graduated approach to the endurance runs - pretty much nudging the pace a touch faster every mile. This time I broke it into bigger chunks: 1m w/u, 3m @9:30, 4m @9:00, 3m @8:30, 1m c/d.
    Conditions were really nice for running - cool, bordering on too cold, with minimal wind. It was nice being able to settle into a pace and clip along at that rate for a few miles, as opposed to the constant gear changes I'd been doing up to now on the endurance runs. Not sure if there is a right or wrong way to do it, probably benefits to both approaches. I never really came under pressure on this one anyway, bar a little push on a couple of drags late on. Would love these conditions in Dungarvan in two weeks.

41.4 miles for the week. I'm enjoying the plan so far and it feels like I'm stringing consistent weeks together which will hopefully pay off down the line.

Advertisement