Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Nice week A.

I'm with you on the bigger chunks for the endurance runs. Much easier to run by feel and ya aren't constantly looking at the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice week A.

I'm with you on the bigger chunks for the endurance runs. Much easier to run by feel and ya aren't constantly looking at the watch.

Thanks J - Yeah, I'd seen yourself and B doing the endurance runs that way so decided to follow suit. As you say, found it much easier to settle into a pace and stay there - I'm fairly bad for looking at the watch every 10 seconds but I think I'm slowly getting better at doing it less often and having a better feel for what I'm at pace wise. I'm actually tempted to run one of the tune-up races before Mallow without the watch and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Throw some tape over the screen or put some random data field displaying on its own. The data will be valuable afterwards even if you're ignoring it during the run.

py wrote: »
    Throw some tape over the screen or put some random data field displaying on its own. The data will be valuable afterwards even if you're ignoring it during the run.

Cheers M. Oh yeah - I'd have to have the watch. I purchased a wrist sweatband recently for this very reason.

20th January - 26th January
    This was a recovery week on the plan, but with an off-plan race coming up next weekend, I flipped this week and next week to allow some taper before the race. Probably defeats the purpose of a recovery week somewhat by having a race at the end of it, but that's just the way it worked out. Felt tired in the middle of this week, so thought that maybe the recovery week was there for a reason, but then sleep had been poor too. Sleep improved later in the week and the tiredness was no longer an issue.

Monday: 4.01 miles recovery @ 10:29
    A very careful recovery loop as there was plenty of ice about in places. Forgot the HR strap for this one and the watch gave me a 171 avg HR and 195 max :eek:. I've never paid too much heed to the Garmin VO2 max stats but I've noticed recently that it's moved in a positive direction (53 atm). Whatever metrics GC uses to measure it seems to like the P&L plan, but it took a bit of a pounding after this run!

Tuesday: 8.33 miles GA + speed @ 9:46 avg
    10x100m strides for the speed portion this week. I was supposed to do only 7 miles, but miscalculated the route. As I turned to start the 9th stride I slightly rolled my ankle as some gravel gave way. It was fine afterwards, and I didn't give it a second thought until it became sore following Wednesdays run. It had completely cleared following a handy Thursday and rest day Friday and thankfully it's fine again now. I could have done without the mini-crisis though!

Wednesday: 10.02 miles endurance @ 9:14 avg
    Another very solid endurance run in the bank. I'm always pleasantly surprised that my HR doesn't jump too much in the faster miles of these. The night before I was looking back at the build-up to my first Dungarvan two years ago, when I'd no clue what I was doing. January consisted of 50 miles, including 2x10 milers, one of which was this very route. I did this loop in 1:28 (8:49 mins/mi) back then and did the race in 1:23 (8:20 mins/mi). Madness looking back.

Thursday: 4.05 miles recovery @ 10:04
    Pretty standard lunchtime miles in and around UL. Week 3 of swimming in the evening - breaststroke and diving this week. Found it very tough to get the hang of the breaststroke - it's the toughest to learn we were told. The diving wasn't much better - my chest came up red raw after my dives belly flops :eek:. Nevertheless, I enjoyed getting in the pool once again.

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday: 9.08 miles LT @ 8:26 avg
    This was a challenging-looking 16mins, 12mins, 8 mins at LT with 4 mins jog recoveries in between the work. I added a mile to the prescribed 8 as the w/u and c/d would have been rather skinny otherwise. Headed over to the track at UL for this. First time running on a track - pretty boring but at least I didn't have to worry about traffic and pedestrians. I tried to work off HR again, and it turned out pretty well. The first rep felt tough, but I was able to keep the pace and effort pretty even throughout. I was clinging on a bit towards the end and glad of the 4 minute respite. A head wind started to pick up on the home straight for the second rep which made things trickier, and on the third rep the wind became stronger again. Very happy with how this went overall though. I eased off a touch anytime the HR went too high.
    Rep|Distance|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR
    1 | 1.0|7:08| 172 |180
    1 | 1.0|7:04| 178 |184
    1 | 0.25|7:06| 181 |183
    2 | 1.0|7:13|174 |182
    2 | 0.66|7:11| 180 |186
    3 | 1.0|7:15|177 |182
    3 | 0.10|7:23| 180 |182

Sunday: 12.24 miles endurance @ 9:12 avg
    I could definitely feel the previous days efforts in the legs during this one, but surprisingly I struggled to keep the paces in check in the early miles. The first half was an unfamiliar route so maybe I was distracted by trying not to get lost. Settled down once I got back onto the banks of the Shannon and familiar ground. I chucked in a decent bit of climbing around the 8-9 mile mark to mimic Dungarvan next week. Pleased with this one too on the back of a tough Saturday and what turned out to be my highest mileage week since the start of October.

47.7 miles for the week. As mentioned earlier, the week ahead will be a recovery/taper week ahead of Dungarvan next Sunday, with the goal there being 73:22 and a 5 minute PB. Not sure if I'm pitching it just right, or being too optimistic or pessimistic but I'd say I'm in the right ballpark - the result and performance here will help set the goal for Mallow anyway, which is of course the main one. 7:20 would be the target pace, which seems pretty daunting tbh, but then it always does no matter the distance or target. I'll give it a lash anyway and see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

That’s a great week A- 73 sounds like a great target

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Best of luck on Sunday, I'll keep an eye out for you and your trademark strong finish!

Very best of luck tomorrow A.

You have a great block of training done so trust in yourself and time will take care of itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Yea best of luck tomorrow A. With your recent training you'll be well able to reach your target for this race (even if it's not the goal race)

Will keep an eye out for you before and after the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck tomorrow A ;)

• Advertisement

27th January - 1st February

Monday: 4.01 miles recovery @ 10:22
    Very handy pace on the back of a couple of big days. Don't remember anything of this tbh.

Tuesday: 8.25 miles GA + speed @ 9:29 avg
    2 sets of 5x150m strides, 250m jog recovery, with 4 minutes between sets. Horrible conditions starting out with snow/sleet falling, and it was seriously cold. A bit of ice underfoot in places too. I was prepared to forgo the strides if necessary, but luckily conditions improved as the run went on and the sun was shining by the time I reached the bypass for the strides. Quick check of road conditions there and I knocked out the strides. I enjoyed the slightly longer strides. A nice morning's work in the end.

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday: 7.04 miles recovery @ 10:26
    My worst run in months. Had intended on 7 miles GA, but just found myself settled in at recovery pace over the first two miles so decided to go with that. Not entirely sure of the reason, but just felt leggy and ploddy throughout, and it seemed like I was working too hard even for the slow pace. Considered calling it quits after 4 miles, and probably should have, but I persevered through the entire 7, mainly due to stubborness I guess. Week 4 of swimming in the evening then, mainly focussed on breaststroke again.

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday: 3.3 miles recovery @ 10:15
    A couple of gentle miles around town, with a few strides thrown in to loosen the legs for tomorrow.

178.5 miles for January, which is only my 5th time above the 175 mark in a month, with all the others being during peak marathon training. It also represents solid progress from last January (131). Nice to see the back of January all the same and welcome spring and a bit of a stretch in the evenings :D. Cheers for all the well wishes for tomorrow - looking forward to it. There's a bit of wind forecast, but my race report from last year mentioned that it was windy then too, so hopefully it won't be too much of a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Best of luck tomorrow A.

John Treacy Dungarvan 10 miler

For the third year in a row, I made the short trip to Dungarvan for this popular 10 miler. Afternoon race starts are the worst - hanging around all morning waiting for it to be time to head off. In fairness I had a cracking morning with the kids and I'm not one to get stressed about races anyway, but still - let it be race time already! Finally, we hit the road at 11:30 and arrived in Dungarvan before half 12. Got parked up in quick order and did a few stretches and a short warm up, along with multiple loo trips. Came across both eventual winners (Mick Clohisey and Aoife Cooke) during the pre-race period. As the 1:30 start time edged closer, I moved into the starting pen just ahead of the 75 minute pacers. Quick hello here from DeepBlue before it was time to start.

The plan was simple - keep it at roughly 7:20 per mile for the duration for a 73:20 time and a 5-minute PB. What transpired was something completely different. By the time we'd crossed the start line I'd somehow managed to find myself behind the 75 minute pacers AND the 80 minute pacers. I didn't panic and managed to get past the 80 minute pacers relatively quickly, but still I was fairly bunched in and struggling to make much progress in the early going. Little gaps would appear here and there but I'd find myself boxed in again before too long. Mile 1 went by in 7:43. Disappointing, and behind target already, but no cause for major alarm.

Things opened up a little as we hit the main road on the 2nd mile. I knew miles 2, 4 and 6 were the tougher of the opening ones climbing wise, so was prepared to lose a little time in those miles. Bit of a wind hitting us now on this stretch too. I just kept working my way through the field, keeping an eye on the 75 minute balloons ahead in the distance. 7:29 for this mile, which was ok, but pushed me further behind target.

Nice little downhill for the third mile which allowed me a chance to claw some time back. 7:13 for this mile, and I was right on the tail of the 75 minute pacers now. Nice little group with them.

Tucked in behind the pacers for a minute, but quickly realised they were holding me up. Made the decision to push on, which meant pulling wide and out into the worst of the wind. Got by the group anyway and pushed on to the next target. I was moving ok, although slightly concerned that I was giving myself a bit to do later in the race. The miles were flying by. 7:24 for this fourth mile.

The fifth mile featured the worst of the wind. I tried to protect myself where I could, but I was moving faster than most around me and I didn't want to lose time either so I kept pushing on which meant I was exposed to plenty of the wind. 7:29 for this mile, as I began to seriously doubt I was capable of hitting the target I'd set.

Mercifully, we turned away from the wind, although mile 6 did contain a bit more climbing. A nice feature of this race is they have stewards telling you the elapsed race time situated at various points of the course. I'd worked out that I'd about 30 seconds between my gun time and my chip time. 7:25 for this mile, and I knew I was about 40 seconds behind target. While 10 mile is a nice round distance for mid-race maths, these sums still required all my brainpower, and much double-checking!

Mile 7 featured a nice, steepish downhill section. I didn't tear down it recklessly, but went down at a nice clip and used that pace as a launch pad for the remainder of the race. I knew it was now or never if I was going to up the pace and see if I could get near the target. Mile 9 would have a fair bit of climbing, I'd lose more time there - I needed to get some seconds back now. 7:09 for this mile - ok, a few seconds back but it did have a very favourable section. Time to dig in and go harder again.

Nice flat section for mile 8, as I upped the effort a touch. Thankfully the legs responded and I was motoring nicely now. I was passing people regularly, and I hadn't been passed since about mile 4. Working hard now, but momentum was building. I love the feeling of being strong late in a race - it's infectious passing people and each runner I passed seem to give me more energy. I knew I needed to make progress in this mile with a bit of climbing to come. 7:09 for mile 8, but I was still behind target.

Back onto the main road for mile 9 and some climbing. I've stormed through this section both of the last two years, and this year was no different. Minimal looking at the watch now. Just push, reeel in the next person, and push again. Not sure how but I pulled out a 7:07 for this mile. Quick panic as I thought I'd mis-calculated everything and was way off the pace, before I figured a 7-minute final mile would see me hit my target.

A bit more climbing to start the final mile, as we left the main road again. This drag seemed to go on forever, but eventually we hit the nice rolling downhill toward the finish. I just kept driving on - asking the legs for more and they kept responding. Couldn't believe how strong I was feeling. Finally turned the final corner for the slight uphill toward the finish... I could see that sub 73 was possible, so pushed for the line. 6:48 for the final mile, and 73:00 on the watch as I crossed the line! Chip time later gave me the 72:59 :D.

Absolutely delighted with this. A frustrating start getting boxed in down the pack a bit, but maybe that slow start helped come the later stages. I do love a strong finish. I couldn't get over how quickly the race went - the miles just ticked by before I knew it. I felt in great shape coming into this one, so I'm very happy that the result justified that confidence. And to cap off a great afternoon, super Spurs beat Man City :)

Congrats A, super race and report.

Such a strong and consistent race. That second half should be a massive confidence boost to you going forward. This is only the start!

Well done A on great race and not panicking after that start. Same thing happened us at the start with the pacers.

The 2nd half of the race shows the hard work you've put in with those recent LT runs. Keep them going and I reckon there's even more gains to be made in Mallow. After today with the wind, Mallow should now be more favourable!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done A, that was a very tidy race, your report summed up the conditions well. I'm looking forward to seeing where the next few months bring you, there are a lot of PBs to fall methinks.

I'm surprised I missed you at the end. Position yourself well in Mallow as the start can also be a bit congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Really brilliant racing A and such a strong finish with those last 4 miles. I'm already looking forward to seeing how you go in Mallow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great performance A. Enjoyed that read - nicely sealing the sub-73 :D

Congrats A, super race and report.

Such a strong and consistent race. That second half should be a massive confidence boost to you going forward. This is only the start!
    Thanks J! Huge confidence boost alright - I was definitely doubting my capabilities in the first half of this race, so it felt great to pull a performance out of the fire in the end.
    Treviso wrote: »
    Well done A on great race and not panicking after that start. Same thing happened us at the start with the pacers.

The 2nd half of the race shows the hard work you've put in with those recent LT runs. Keep them going and I reckon there's even more gains to be made in Mallow. After today with the wind, Mallow should now be more favourable!
    Thanks T! Yeah, I do think the LT and endurance runs stood to me here. Only two more LT runs left in the plan actually - 3 miles this weekend as part of a progression LR, then a meaty 36 minutes at LT the following week. After that the LT runs are replaced by VO2 max runs and the tune-up races.

The wind yesterday should balance out the extra little bit of climbing in Mallow at least. Not sure what I'll be targetting in Mallow yet, but this result has my lifted my sights up a (little) notch anyway.
    tbukela wrote: »
    Well done A, that was a very tidy race, your report summed up the conditions well. I'm looking forward to seeing where the next few months bring you, there are a lot of PBs to fall methinks.

I'm surprised I missed you at the end. Position yourself well in Mallow as the start can also be a bit congested.
    Cheers T! Garmin tells me I knocked a second off my 10k PB yesterday actually! Not counting that of course, but looking forward to seeing what I can do over that distance in Adare in three weeks time.

I saw you off in the distance at the start alright, but never spotted you at the finish. Yeah, I'll need to be more switched on at the start in Mallow - I know you'll always have out-of-position runners to contend with in the early stages of any race, but I added to that yesterday by switching off at just the wrong time.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Really brilliant racing A and such a strong finish with those last 4 miles. I'm already looking forward to seeing how you go in Mallow!
    Thanks V. Yeah I'm thrilled with the result, and the last 4 miles in particular. Reading Treviso's race report actually reminded me that I briefly thought last minute about bringing a gel yesterday. It was never in the plan, and I didn't bring one in the end - but if I had I'd probably be crediting the gel with powering my surge late on.
    Great performance A. Enjoyed that read - nicely sealing the sub-73 :D
    Cheers J - that sub-73 was never in doubt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done, great report and great running :)

• Advertisement

Great running A, absolutely delighted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sub 73' wow! Congratulations on a super race. It sounds like those conservative early miles may have suited you.

Have you read your introductory post on this log recently? You're definitely one of Boards success stories. You've trained consistently taking the long term approach with training and got amazing results in a relatively short time really. And you're nowhere near done yet either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Thursday: 7.04 miles recovery @ 10:26
    My worst run in months. Had intended on 7 miles GA, but just found myself settled in at recovery pace over the first two miles so decided to go with that. Not entirely sure of the reason, but just felt leggy and ploddy throughout, and it seemed like I was working too hard even for the slow pace. Considered calling it quits after 4 miles, and probably should have, but I persevered through the entire 7, mainly due to stubborness I guess.

AFAIR there's some overlap on the plan between recovery and GA.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    John Treacy Dungarvan 10 miler

Mile 7 featured a nice, steepish downhill section. I didn't tear down it recklessly, but went down at a nice clip and used that pace as a launch pad for the remainder of the race. I knew it was now or never if I was going to up the pace and see if I could get near the target. Mile 9 would have a fair bit of climbing, I'd lose more time there - I needed to get some seconds back now. 7:09 for this mile - ok, a few seconds back but it did have a very favourable section. Time to dig in and go harder again.

Nice flat section for mile 8, as I upped the effort a touch. Thankfully the legs responded and I was motoring nicely now. I was passing people regularly, and I hadn't been passed since about mile 4. Working hard now, but momentum was building. I love the feeling of being strong late in a race - it's infectious passing people and each runner I passed seem to give me more energy. I knew I needed to make progress in this mile with a bit of climbing to come. 7:09 for mile 8, but I was still behind target.

Back onto the main road for mile 9 and some climbing. I've stormed through this section both of the last two years, and this year was no different. Minimal looking at the watch now. Just push, reeel in the next person, and push again. Not sure how but I pulled out a 7:07 for this mile. Quick panic as I thought I'd mis-calculated everything and was way off the pace, before I figured a 7-minute final mile would see me hit my target.

A bit more climbing to start the final mile, as we left the main road again. This drag seemed to go on forever, but eventually we hit the nice rolling downhill toward the finish. I just kept driving on - asking the legs for more and they kept responding. Couldn't believe how strong I was feeling. Finally turned the final corner for the slight uphill toward the finish... I could see that sub 73 was possible, so pushed for the line. 6:48 for the final mile, and 73:00 on the watch as I crossed the line! Chip time later gave me the 72:59 :D.

I loved this section of your report in particular. Just class reading about how strong you felt. Brilliant stuff. Congrats on the PB!

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done, great report and great running :)
    Thanks N :)
    Great running A, absolutely delighted for you :)
    Cheers E. I was delighted myself too :)
    ariana` wrote: »
    Sub 73' wow! Congratulations on a super race. It sounds like those conservative early miles may have suited you.

Have you read your introductory post on this log recently? You're definitely one of Boards success stories. You've trained consistently taking the long term approach with training and got amazing results in a relatively short time really. And you're nowhere near done yet either :D
    Very kind words E - thanks a mill!!! I always tend to fair best with a conservative start, but I guess it's just trying to find that balance and not starting too slow and leaving time behind me.

Thanks for the prompt to check out my OP in this thread - a nice confidence boost to see the progress. I've tried to build gradually and sensibly so it is nice to see improvements. All this stems from my 6 months under your guidance in the novices thread - so thanks again for setting me on the right path :)
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    AFAIR there's some overlap on the plan between recovery and GA.

I loved this section of your report in particular. Just class reading about how strong you felt. Brilliant stuff. Congrats on the PB!
    Thanks E! Yep - there is some overlap alright. I tried to put that bad run out of my mind and I remembered other posters having mentioned poor runs in the lead-up to races before so I tried to take it as a good sign.

3rd February - 9th February
    A frustrating week from a running perspective. I returned to the Mon-Fri work life this week, which means narrower running windows, although on the flipside I should see the benefits of a regular sleep pattern. My running windows just seemed to find new and exciting ways of shrinking or disappearing as the week went on.

Monday: 4.1 miles recovery @ 10:40
    A few recovery miles to get the legs moving after the previous days race. Probably a bit too hilly and later on I read I should keep recovery runs to flatter routes - makes perfect sense of course.

Tuesday:
    Rest

Wednesday: 8.16 miles GA @ 9:18 avg
    Swapped the endurance miles for GA on this one to allow a little post-race recovery. The legs though were very fresh and I zipped along at a nice rate throughout. Went along the riverbank to start, and this was nice and sheltered - started working a touch harder then when I headed back through UL where it was a bit windier and not quiet as flat. A very nice run.

Thursday:
    Rest. The start of the frustration - had planned 5 miles GA at lunch but I had to do a work/lunch thing so that plan went out the window, and with swimming later I didn't have time for a run. Lots of breathing work in swimming this week - much like running I'm now realising that there's a lot more to swimming than meets the eye. Another enjoyable lesson, with a different teacher this week so nice to get a new perspective.

Friday: 5.15miles GA @ 9:47 avg
    Had planned on being able to get in a long lunch and do a session here, but circumstances dictated that I only had time for 5-odd miles. A bit of wind and rain about for this, but nothing terrible. Annoying not to get in the session, but sure I'd just do it on Saturday.

Saturday: 3.07 miles recovery @ 10:28
    My only available window was an early morning one. Headed out the door and spotted I'd a flat tyre - ah balls!!! By the time I'd that sorted the session was out the window and I just had time to squeeze in a few recovery miles. Better than nothing at least.

Sunday: 13.03 miles progression @ 8:48 avg
    Limited enough window again on Sunday, and I feared the worst when I woke to the sounds of Storm Ciara. It cleared off somehat so I decided to chance the planned progression run, which would culminate with 3 miles at LT. I set this up on GC, then forgot to transfer to the watch, but luckily it was a handy enough one to remember on the go anyway. I'd a nice 12 mile loop figured out, and the first two miles were serene enough, but Ciara raised a gale again at this point so I diverted from the planned countryside loop and stuck to the town and that meant doing a 1.5 mile loop seven times. The wind and rain was at it's worst around mile 6 - I got soaked at this point and the squelch of my wet runners provided an appropriate soundtrack. I was pretty close to pulling the plug, but decided to give it one more lap and thankfully the rain passed. Still plenty wind about and my top was bone dry by the time I finished. The ever-quickening paces were welcome as it meant the laps were going faster. Got to the LT section and given the wind and not-flat route I worked this off HR. Tough going because the flat section was into the wind and the downhill bits were slippy so there was no respite. LT paces came in at well over the prescribed ranges, but the effort was pretty much bang on - it was unsafe in places to push any harder. Very happy with this run considering the weather, and could feel a freshness in the legs thanks to the lack of miles during the week. The 3 LT miles came in as:
    Mile|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR
    1 |7:43| 171 |180
    2 |7:27|174 |178
    3 |7:40| 175 |182

33.5 miles for the week. Slightly disappointed with that, but it was a week when everything went against me from a running point-of-view so I've got to take it as a win that I still managed to eke out a 30 mile week.

10th February - 16th February
    :(

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday: 7.5 miles GA + speed @ 9:35 avg
    Speed meant 6x12s hills, and 6x100m strides. Very happy to get this in at lunch time. A nice 4 miles through UL before I arrived at the spot for my hill sprints, as did a well-timed hail shower :mad:! It cleared off quickly enough, and the hills and strides went well. Happy out to get the week off to a solid start.

Wednesday: 3.1 miles GA @ 10:24
    It was late on a stormy evening before I got out. The plan was for 10 miles endurance, but I knew half a mile in that my ankle was sore. It's been nagging away since Dungarvan - I tried to ignore it, and hope it was one of those niggles that disappeared after a day or two, but it has hung around and got progressively worse. I should have probably just stopped after half a mile when I knew I was in trouble, but I think I kept going for three miles to give myself the chance to come to terms with the fact that I'd need a few days off - the horror!

Thursday:
    No running, but I did have swimming. Week 6 of 8. I'm enjoying it, and I will sign up for another batch of 8 lessons anyway - may as well be doing something useful if I can't run!

Friday:
    Rest.

Saturday:
    Rest

Sunday: 12.39 miles endurance @ 9:16 avg
    The ankle felt much better following the few days rest, so decided to chance a run. Not sure why I settled on 12 miles - 6 would have sufficed. The ankle pain returned anyway - should have knocked this on the head much earlier, but stubbornly/stupidly saw out the entire 12. The pain was grand for most of it - there, but not impeding me. It did get worse over the final two miles though.

23 miles for the week. I've the physio booked for Wednesday, so will rest again until then. Hopefully the ankle is nothing serious - I had been blaming the camber of the road in Dungarvan. I spent a lot of time running at an awkward angle on sloped road through miles seven and eight of that race - but then today I remembered that I slightly went over on that ankle during a strides workout 3 weeks ago - that could have been the trigger. Either way, I am where I am. Super frustrating to have an enforced layoff - felt I was in great shape prior to Dungarvan, but that feels a long time ago now. I know I'm being overly dramatic, and that the fitness won't disappear overnight - but still!! :mad:!

I've an entry to the Adare 10k next Sunday - looks unlikely at the moment, but I'll see what the next few days brings first.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Feck! Hope the Physio gives you positive news.

I know it's so frustrating when you can't get the runs in but i think you are doing right by resting till you find out what's wrong! I hope it's nothing too serious A!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I feel your frustration. Hope its plays out well for you over next few days and you can still have that crack at Adare.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't rule out the roads in Dungarvan causing that injury A, as I remember myself running at such an awkward angle for those miles too.

Best of luck with the physio - although I have a feeling it'll be a case of RICE and resting up. Plenty of time to recover and get back to training before Mallow

Advertisement