Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Feck! Hope the Physio gives you positive news.
    Cheers F!
    I know it's so frustrating when you can't get the runs in but i think you are doing right by resting till you find out what's wrong! I hope it's nothing too serious A!
    Thanks E! Took me a while to admit and accept what I already knew, but yeah: Rest is best for now.
    I feel your frustration. Hope its plays out well for you over next few days and you can still have that crack at Adare.
    Thanks D - yeah it's super frustrating, but these things happen. Not too worried about Adare to be honest - if I'm told to give it a complete miss then so be it. The OH is running it too, so I could pace her if I'm told to keep things easy.
    Treviso wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out the roads in Dungarvan causing that injury A, as I remember myself running at such an awkward angle for those miles too.

Best of luck with the physio - although I have a feeling it'll be a case of RICE and resting up. Plenty of time to recover and get back to training before Mallow
    Cheers T. I'd think you're right on the rest and RICE, hopefully anyway. Doesn't feel like it's anything too serious, so hopefully Mallow won't be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah sh*te, that's bloody annoying. Good luck with the physio and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

It's frustrating to pick up an injury when you've had such a strong start to the year. There is a long year ahead with plenty of goal races to target, a few days out of the wind and rain might be good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Fingers crossed for Wednesday.

Physio update

Thanks for all the kind words folks! So, I had a physio appointment today to check out the ankle and it's positive news. Long story short, I've been diagnosed with a posterior tibial tendon injury - it's a muscle around the ankle that provides stability. The physio agreed that it's highly likely the injury happened due to running on a cambered road surface for a mile or so in Dungarvan. I've been given some calf stretches and heel drop exercises to do, and very strict instructions to keep the runs to a max of 5k, and I'm only allowed run every second day, for the next two weeks. In addition, runs are to be on good surfaces, flat routes and easy paced. No speed stuff. If there's no improvement in the next 10-14 days, then we will reassess.

I'm happy enough with this prognosis, and treatment. At least I can tip away with some running for now. Fingers crossed the injury clears up over the next two weeks, and if it does, I can't really complain about a brief interruption to my training. Went out for the permitted easy 5k later today - felt a new sense of appreciation for being able to get out for a run.

Adare is off the table anyway - even as an easy run it's a no go with the 5k limit. Pity, as I was confident of a PB, but again, I can't really complain. As for Mallow - not really concerned about that at the moment tbh. I'll focus on shaking off this injury and see where I am when that's achieved (hopefully soon!). I suppose I've my 10 mile PB already in the bag from Dungarvan so Mallow doesn't need to be some massive priority.

On the plus side, if you're going to pick up an injury, then this is the time of year to do it. As tbukela said I'll be out of the wind and rain at least. Also, the showers at work have been out of action for the past week, so running windows would have been harder to find as well. And, the washing machine is enjoying a well-earned breather! I'm really in a glass half full mood today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

At least you can still run. It it was a choice of being able to race or being able to run then, for me anyway, the latter is the easy choice.

Still it sucks a bit to get a setback when you were motoring and doing everything right. Hopefully all will be back on track in two weeks.

Great attitude as usual A. Hope the 2 weeks of rehab goes well. Calf exercises for the win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I feel for you, nursining a similar injury mine unfortuently was brought on by Strom Ciara and getting blown over and rolling my ankle which tweaked my Post Tip I have hypermobility in my ankles anyway. with some rest and the S&C exercises, you will be back out in no time :)

DeepBlue wrote: »
    At least you can still run. It it was a choice of being able to race or being able to run then, for me anyway, the latter is the easy choice.

Still it sucks a bit to get a setback when you were motoring and doing everything right. Hopefully all will be back on track in two weeks.
    Cheers D. Yeah, I absolutely agree - nothing like an injury scare to remind you what a privilege it is just to be able to get out and jog around the place.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great attitude as usual A. Hope the 2 weeks of rehab goes well. Calf exercises for the win :)
    Haha... cheers V! Tbh, I felt a bit embarrassed with all the sympathy I was getting from the 2018 novices - hopefully this is just a minor setback.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    I feel for you, nursining a similar injury mine unfortuently was brought on by Strom Ciara and getting blown over and rolling my ankle which tweaked my Post Tip I have hypermobility in my ankles anyway. with some rest and the S&C exercises, you will be back out in no time :)
    Ah no N, that sucks. If I learned anything from the physio yesterday it's that post tib issues are no joke and not something to ignore. Hope yours doesn't linger for too long either.

Not much to log running wise over the past fortnight....

17th February - 23rd February
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 3.07 miles easy @10:07 - did this after the physio appointment
    Thursday: No running, but another swimming lesson
    Friday: 3.18 miles easy @9:50
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 3.01 miles easy @10:30.

24th February - 1st March
    Tuesday: 3.01 miles easy @9:58
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 3.08 miles easy @10:00, plus swimming
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3.19 miles easy @9:59
    Sunday: Rest

So, back-to-back 9 mile weeks for a fairly underwhelming end to February. 91 miles for the month. I've been pretty diligent with the stretches and exercises, and the ankle is improving - it is definitely a lot better than it was, but still feels a good bit from 100%. The physio had said to give it 10-14 days and see where it was at, so I'm nearly at that point now. I'll schedule another appointment anyway I think, probably be a week before she has availability anyway.

• Advertisement

Much like my previous update, this was another low mileage fortnight.

2nd March - 8th March
    Monday: 3.1 miles @ 10:02
    Wednesday: 3.01 miles easy @9:59
    Thursday: Swimming
    Friday: 3.01 miles easy @9:59
    Sunday: 3.14 miles easy @10:01

9th March - 15th March
    Tuesday: 3.03 miles easy @10:00
    Thursday: 3.01 miles easy @10:01. Swimmimg cancelled.
    Friday: Physio
    Saturday: 3.1 miles easy @10:00

On the swimming front - last week I started a second batch of eight lessons, and got moved up to the deep end group. Definitely tougher going and much more of a workout up there. Then this weeks, and the next few weeks, were cancelled due to the corona virus. I had been intending on adding a home workout back into the routine at some stage, so that's something I'll look to do next week to compensate for the lack of swimming.

As for the injury. I was really happy with the progress, and in the middle of last week I was very confident that I'd be building things back up a bit by now, but the recovery has plateau'd over the last week-to-10 days. Had a physio appointment on Friday and she got a bit more aggressive with my treatment. She used a shockwave machine on the ankle area - a little mini-jackhammer is how I can best describe it. The sole of my foot is currently strapped up to support my arch for 3-4 days, and I've been told to ice the area after a run, if I can. A couple more stretches have been prescribed, as well as rolling a ball underfoot. Running remains limited to 5k every second day, and I've a revisit booked for two weeks time.

It's hard to be too downhearted about the injury given the situation going on all around us at the moment - although it is a pity to see the rug pulled from under the likes of Dealerz, coogy, Treviso and applegirl who had great training blocks put in for upcoming races. Still though, the importance of any given race pales in signficance compared to the bigger pciture.

Copy, paste

16th March - 22nd March
    Monday: 3.04 miles @ 10:01
    Wednesday: 3.1 miles easy @10:00
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: 3.02 miles easy @10:00
    Sunday: 3.05 miles easy @9:58

23rd March - 29th March
    Tuesday: 3.1 miles easy @10:00
    Thursday: 3.06 miles easy @10:02
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3.05 miles easy @10:01

Now I'm getting frustrated. The injury is just not clearing up sufficiently that I'm happy with it. In the middle of last week I was very optimistic that it was nearly there, but then on Saturday's run the ankle didn't feel great at all. It can be fine for the majority of a run, but there's still something lingering. I did another 3 miles today, but I'm going to take the rest of this week off to see if extra rest helps - might try a run at the weekend. Physio closed for the forseeable due to covid-19.

On the plus side, I did 3 miles every second day in March, so my strava graph for the month is nice and symmetrical. I also managed to keep each of those runs at 10 mins/mile, +/-2 seconds - the patheticness of this "achievement" is not lost on me :)

I've been working from home for the past couple of weeks, which has been good, although pretty tiring tyring to juggle child-minding and work! I look forward to each run, but lately I've just been coming back frustrated that the injury is not shifting, so hopefully an extra rest will do some good. I'd love to sign up for the Boards 5k TT, but I'll hold tough as there's no point getting invested in it if I'll be in no condition to put forth a hard effort - not that I'd be troubling the front-runners anyway :)

Anyway, apologies for the downbeat post - I do realise that there are bigger problems in the world right now than my running woes, but still I felt it was worth logging my current feelings as it can't always be sunshine and PB's. This is my first real setback since I've been running, so hopefully I'll look back on this period later in the year and appreciate what it means to be able to log 40+ mile weeks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

No need to apologise A, the honest posts both good & bad are what keep people reading! I'm sure you must be feeling so frustrated right now & i honestly don't have any answers for you but i do think you have a good mindset ;)
    Take the time to rest & fingers crossed you will be back out doing what you love!

Take care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I can feel your frustration here. I also agree with E, no need to apologise and important to log your current thoughts. Everything is relative. It will make all the more sweeter reading back when your crushing PB's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Sorry to hear the injury hasn't cleared up yet A. Hopefully it's just a case of a healed muscle getting used to regular running again. You're doing the right thing in keeping the mileage low and getting plenty of rest.

Not sure if it's the best or worst time to be injured. Best in that you don't need to do repeated loops 2km of your house or worst because you don't get to leave the house for that much needed headspace. On a positive note, at least you're keeping the government's directive of keeping your runs brief :D

Hey Mr G, sorry to hear your ankle is still causing you issues. Unsure of your current work situation, whether you're still on the move or stuck at home. If it's the latter, start icing (bag of peas is what I use) every chance you get. I go for 20 mins on/off with a tea towel wrapped around the bag of peas. It's helped immensely with recovery for me and something I've used through the last couple of injuries I've had (ankle and calf). Get well soon.

Not a whole pile to log over the past 20 or so days, but sure for the sake of completeness if nothing else: :)

Monday 30/03 - 3.06 miles @10:01
    Sunday 05/04 - 3.02 miles @9:52
    Wednesday 08/04 - 3.09 miles @10:02
    Sunday 12/04 - 4.01 miles @10:02
    Wednesday 15/04 - 2.22 miles@9:42
    Thursday 16/04 - 2.03 miles@9:57

I've tried taking extra rest days as opposed to the every-second-day approach I'd been on before this (man, how I envy those of you on run streaks!). I'd say the injury is getting better, but it's slow progress - I still feel something, I think. On Easter Sunday, I tried going above 3 miles for the first time in 8 weeks - my calves killed me for 3 days afterwards :eek:!

Usually, the ankle will be fine for the first 2-2.5 miles of a run, before I'll start to feel it - it's as if it gets tired after that. So, I've decided to cap the runs at 2 miles for a bit - this week was the first time running on back-to-back days for aaages. I may be better served with taking a couple of weeks off entirely, but jeez, I think I'd crack up completely without the occassional few miles! And, still I'm half tempted to ramp the mileage up a bit and see what happens.

Treviso asked whether this was a good time to be injured, or not. Definitely not in my opinion, although to be fair, there is never a good time to be injured. I feel like I'm missing out on a huge oppurtunity for building a massive base, and going backwards rapidly at the same time. It's been 8 or 9 weeks of basically nothing. Aside from that, I miss long runs so much!

I'm still tipping away with the prescribed exercises, and thanks to py for mentioning icing, as the physio had said to ice after a run, but I'd forgotten that bit.

I feel like I should at least be getting in some supplementary stuff (yoga, or whatever) while I'm spending less time running, so at least I could say I've improved somewhere during this period, but it's hard to find the motivation for supplementary stuff when the main thing is going backwards. Might try something tonight, or not :pac:

TL;DR - meh, ugh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ugh, I really feel for you A, it's really lousy that this is dragging on so long. Fingers crossed it turns a corner for you soon. Oh and I get not having the motivation for supplementary stuff, but if you can at all it's probably worth starting something - once you do you might get into it, and you might help the recovery along too.

eyrie wrote: »
    Ugh, I really feel for you A, it's really lousy that this is dragging on so long. Fingers crossed it turns a corner for you soon. Oh and I get not having the motivation for supplementary stuff, but if you can at all it's probably worth starting something - once you do you might get into it, and you might help the recovery along too.

Cheers C! Great to see you back posting regularly too!

I did a yoga workout anyway this morning - lots of regression as expected seeing as it was DCM training since I'd done one, and even back then they were only sporadic. Hopeful that it can become a habit this time!

Three weeks since my last update. Took 10 or so days off from running, and started doing a bit of yoga. I've kept at they yoga, and improved considerably at some of the poses since the first session. Nice to see some progress somewhere.

After the 10 day break, I resumed running with 3 miles every second or third day. As before, the injury feels like it's 95% better, but it's just not fully clearing. Can't believe it's been almost 3 months of this. Looking back on my strava comments I've felt like it's been on the cusp of being 100% for about 2 months now, but it's just not getting there. A frustrated google of posterior tibial injuries last night scared the sh!t out of me, so I rang the physio this morning. They are partially re-opening in a couple of weeks, so I've booked an appointment. In the meantime, no running for 7 days, lots of foam rolling and stretching of the calves, golf ball under the foot, icing. I'm to try a couple of short runs prior to the appointment to see how they feel. Depending on what the physio thinks when I'm there, I might be referred for an MRI :(.

I signed up for the 1 mile TT in some idiotic moment of hope - I'll have to withdraw from that anyway. I'll keep at the yoga, but I might cherry pick the bits I do because I felt some were putting pressure on the ankle. Might add in some S&C stuff that doesn't affect the ankle. I think I'll buy an exercise bike too. It's funny, I've felt genuinely, perhaps naively, optimistic about this injury all the way through, except the days I decide to update my log :pac:

• Advertisement

So, physio visit last week and I've been referred for an MRI to check if there's a stress fracture of the metatarsal or one of the other small bones in the foot. It shouldn't be too long of a wait I'm told. The physio reckons that if there is a stress fracture, then 4-6 weeks of no running should heal it, so I haven't ran since last Tuesday. She also advised that I've been overcompensating for the sore foot and I've been prescribed bridges and clams to strengthen the hips and glutes. The calves are in fine shape though, following all the work I've been doing on those over recent weeks.

It's good to have some direction again (even if it sucks), and at least a notion that a fix is on the horizon, maybe. I had been kind of aimlessly moving from one week to the next with no progress for a while, so it's good to have a plan again. I would have got to this stage at least 6 weeks ago if not for covid, but sure, it is what it is. It's definitely annoying to be missing out on training during the summer months having put in lots of wet, windy and dark miles over the winter, but I'm trying to look forward and not think too much about what could have been.

I did buy an exercise bike. Based on extensive research (2 minutes checking boards), I went for a recumbent one and it's grand. I had to assemble it myself, and was delighted that I'd only two washers left over at the end :). I've tipped away on that every second day over the last week for 30-50 minutes at what feels like walking effort. Might try a more "easy" effort as the legs get used to it.

Best of luck to everyone in the TT at the weekend :D

I can only imagine how frustrating it's all been for you, especially given how long it's dragged on. I really hope you get some answers from the MRI, and can work from there. Fair play on hitting the bike (and assembling it :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fair play A, you seem very level-headed about it all! Hope the MRI makes things clear and then it can be dealt with. Hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

So, I went for an MRI on the bothersome foot last week and received the results yesterday. The news is positive.

There is no stress fracture, but I do have "mild tenosynovitis of FHL at the knot of Henry" - no need to explain that one obviously :pac:. Basically it's an irritation of the tendon around the arch of my foot, I think. It's apparently an injury more common to dancers - serves me right for trying ballet as cross-training ;).

Anyway, I've spoken to the physio and she says this is good news. Not ideal, obviously, but not terminal to my running "career" either. It's something that I'll have to manage for the next few months - it might take another 3-4 months to clear completely. But, I can do some running in the meantime - to a max of 10k at a time. I'll have to tape the foot before each run, and ice after, as well as plenty strengthening exercises.

I've only spoken to the physio over the phone, so will get further clarity on the frequency of running and how we are going to treat the injury when I've my next appointment, which is next week. In the meantime, I can dust off the running shoes and hit the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yay delighted to hear this... well not the knot of Henry part but the rest, sounds quite positive! Enjoy dusting off the runners A, you've been very patient, I hope the road ahead will be kind to you.

ariana` wrote: »
    Yay delighted to hear this... well not the knot of Henry part but the rest, sounds quite positive! Enjoy dusting off the runners A, you've been very patient, I hope the road ahead will be kind to you.

Thanks E! Still a long way until I'm 100% but hopefully things are finally moving in the right direction, and it's a relief to know I'm fixable! Felt great to get out for a couple of miles this evening.

11.3 miles this week - my highest weekly total since March :eek:

Had a physio appointment during the week. I've been doing leg bridges and clams daily for the last month or more, and the physio was happy that my strength in the hip area is noticeably improved. Planks have now been added to the routine to improve my core strength.

The foot injury is still there of course. As instructed, I've been strapping it with kinesio tape for every run and this has really helped - the foot feels much more stable and supported on each run. Amazing what a little bit of tape in the right place can do. I'll need to keep taping it until I'm well on the far side of this injury, which will be a good while yet.

Running wise - I won't be doing anything too exciting for many more months. I can run 4 times per week, very gradually bringing two of those runs up to 10km. So, even a 20 mile week is a long ways off. Come September I might be able to venture further than 10km. My current plan is very simply to add a mile a week each week for the next two months, monitoring the foot all the way. At least I won't be starting from scratch when the time comes that I'm injury-free and ready to start properly building again.

I can do as much exercise biking as I want - an hour 2-3 times a week seems to work for me at the moment. Hopefully the swimming lessons might resume in the next couple of months too. Improving my cross-training looks like the only running-related goal that I will achieve this year anyway :)

The hardest thing with the injury is trying to accept it, and not focusing on where I was pre-injury, or where I could be by now. It will take a lot of time and hard work to get back to where I was in February, but hopefully I'll be a stronger runner once I do get there. June will be the first month this year in which I've ran more miles than the preceding month - I'll be happy if I can keep that upward curve going for the rest of the year.

I'll probably keep to monthly log updates for the next while. I won't be doing enough to warrant weekly updates. For now I'm just happy that I can get out 4 times a week and can look forwards with cautious optimism. Thanks for reading, and Happy Fathers Day to my fellow running dads.

Keep up the cycling, we'll make sure you get an entry to the Great Dublin Bike Ride or the Wicklow 200 in 2021! :pac:

py wrote: »
    Keep up the cycling, we'll make sure you get an entry to the Great Dublin Bike Ride or the Wicklow 200 in 2021! :pac:

Oh god, hopefully things don't get that bad :)

There's a big difference between tipping away on the exercise bike in the confines of my own house while watching Pure Mule or the Merseyside derby, and heading out on two wheels on actual roads. Maybe I'd get into it if I gave it a whirl, but I've no inclination to do so at the minute! To be fair I don't mind the exercise bike at all, and it's something that I'd happily use as cross-training in the future.

• Advertisement

A 3 mile run today rounds off my running for July, so I may as well update the ol' log. It's been a positive month on the running front. The foot injury is progressing and has improved a good deal over recent weeks. I had another physio visit two weeks ago and she was very happy with how it's progressing. Crab walks were added to planks, bridges and clams in my (almost) daily strengthening regime.

I've built the weekly mileage up very gradually to where I am now at a whopping 17 miles per week. It's slow progress, but I'll happily take it. To be honest, I don't think the foot can handle much more anyway. I found it was a bit sorer after longer runs (6 miles) so I decided this week to try keep the runs shorter and instead add a fifth day to maintain the mileage. I will see how that goes, although it did mean that this week saw my first 3-day running streak in forever! Rest day tomorrow :)! On a related note, the amount of time spent deciding whether I'll run 3 miles Tuesday and 4 miles Wednesday, or vice versa, is quite embarrassing. Or at least should be :pac:

I haven't been paying much attention to pace on any of the runs - effort generally feels in the easy to moderate range. Crazy how 6 miles can be such a slog when not long ago it would have been a gentle recovery trot :eek:. The fitness will come back though - the 3 mile runs are feeling much easier than they were a few weeks ago.

Use of the exercise bike has dropped off a cliff. The last two times I used it I had a bit of knee pain after which took a day or two to shift - the physio put it down to a tight quad. I just fell out of the habit then but I must try and get back at it soon - maybe tomorrow! The odd niggle has popped up here and there over the past few weeks - a very tender hamstring was a worry for a day or two but soon abated. I'm putting these niggles down to the boday getting used to regular running again.

Now that things are trending in the right direction, I'll update the mileage table:
    Month|2016|2017|2018|2019|2020
    January|21|5|51|131|178
    February|19||51|119|91
    March|27||62|112|46
    April|3||55|142|20
    May|1|18|74|120|19
    June|2|38|96|135|35
    July||33|129|175|72
    August||49|137|184
    September|1|25|179|211
    October|4|42|131|162
    November|6|40|34|70
    December||51|84|153
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083|1714|461

Hopefully I'll reach 1,000 miles for the year, but it's not a target I'm going to chase. If all goes well then I might just sneak 100 miles in August, but I won't be afraid to take a step back if required.

Advertisement