Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Not a hope of me staying on a treadmill that long, fair play!

I dunno, I think your sub 45 could be closer than you're letting yourself think?

Yeah, possible that your right. I did wonder if I was selling myself short with my targets, and when I really gave the parkrun a good go last week I was surprised with how fast I went. We'll see after Sunday I guess, going to give it a proper rattle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Saturday: 15 mins tempo, 4 mins recovery, 10 mins threshold
    Tempo (8:15-8:03), actual 8:13, 8:04
    Threshold (7:51-7:40), actual 7:47, 7:42
    This was a nice session. Legs felt good. 6.31 miles for the day with warm up and cool down. I find I really like these paces and the longer reps.

I love the longer reps, too, but I found changing up a gear tough enough in that session.

Some really nice training going on here. I think that 10k target will be toast in no time.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I love the longer reps, too, but I found changing up a gear tough enough in that session.
    It can be tough, no doubt, but I'm loving the challenge. Some days it works out better than others. Well done on your 5/4/3/2/1 session last week, you nailed it. I'm looking forward to that one later in this plan.
    Some really nice training going on here. I think that 10k target will be toast in no time.
    I'm happy it's worked out that I've two 10k's in close proximity, calendar wise. Should help to "get my eye in" at the distance, so to speak.

11th Mar - 17th Mar: 5k/10k grads plan, week 6

Monday:
    No running - brisk 30 min walk at lunchtime.

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy (5.4 miles, 10:56/mi)
    The weather was horrible for this, right in the worst of Storm Gareth. Lashing rain and strong winds do not make ideal running conditions. Debated calling it a night on more than one occasion, and probably should have, but ended up doing the full hour. There was another few runners out as well, so I didn't feel like a complete nutcase.

Wednesday: 6 x 1 min VO2 max, 2 min recoveries
    Range: 6:53- 6:45
    Actual: 7:04, 6:53, 6:55, 7:01, 6:37, 6:54

I swapped out the prescribed session for this pre-race sharpener. Didn't nail the paces, but I was thereabouts for the most part, and effort felt right. Conditions were still far from ideal, but much improved from the night before. This is my third time doing this session I think, and it's one I really enjoy. Short and sweet. Warmup and cooldown took me to 4.8 miles for the evening.

Thursday:
    Rest

Friday: 60 mins very easy (5.42 miles, 10:49/mi)
    Legs felt dead for this, for whatever reason.

Saturday: 3 miles easy, with 4 "strides"
    Legs still a bit dead on this one, and the strides were not exactly purposeful, more like pathetic little spurts. Still, gave the legs a bit of a loosening out I'm sure.

Sunday: Ardfinnan 10km race - 46:29 chip time
    Pretty much the time I thought I'd do, and a 2-minute PB, so I guess I should be happy, but I'm a bit nonplussed about it really. I didn't fall short, I didn't blow my target out of the water, I just did what I thought I'd do. Meh.

I was actually happy with how the race itself went, which is somewhat of a contradiction. The first half was hilly so I took it reasonably handy up until halfway, then upped the pace on the flatter second half. Paces for the first 3 miles were 7:34, 7:41, 7:57 with that third mile being one long drag. Ran most of the second half on my own with no one anywhere near me, with the last 1.5 miles into a decent breeze. The closing splits came in at 7:19, 7:02, 7:15 and 6:25 for the final 0.27 miles.

I ran the same course (in reverse) in 58:xx in 2016, skipped 2017, then 48:29 last year and 46:29 now this year. I'm very pleased with my progress over that period, but yeah. I'm not sure why I'm not more pleased with my performance in this race, I know I should be, and apologies for the moaning!!

In other news, I felt a tightness in my left hamstring right at the start of the race. Contemplated pulling to the side there and then, and I probably should have but I said I'd give it a mile and see how I was then. It was a bit better after a mile, and two miles in I'd pretty much forgotten about it. There was still something there, but it had faded and wasn't impeding me. The adrenaline had kicked in I guess. Got to the finish and had the tea and the chats and didn't give the hamstring a second thought until my cooldown. It was sore, very very sore. I could barely walk on it later that day, and I was still lame on Monday. A steady diet of RICE has it feeling a lot better over the past 12 hours, but still not 100%. If the improvement continues I might try an easy run on Friday, but I won't be risking further damage if it's not right. I've the physio booked for Monday week (01/04) as that was the only time that suited us both. This week would have been mainly recovery runs anyway, so I'm not losing out on too much and hopefully I can jump back into the plan without too much missed time, but I won't force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the PB! Maybe the concern for the hamstring is holding back the PB joy... hope it's nothing serious. You're (as usual) being very sensible with rest etc.

On the pre-race session, I was just gonna do the session in the plan this week before a 10k on Sunday. But you've given me food for thought with your approach.

• Advertisement

Youch on the hammy. I did something similar in a race a few years back and could barely walk for the rest of the day but it resolved itself very quickly. Hopefully it's the same for you.

Well done on the race. That's some really nice improvements you've made. It's great to have the same race as a benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It's amazing to be able to chart that kind of progress, it's a massive improvement to have made in a few years, and a big PB compared to last year too. I've had that nonplussed feeling about races too and I know what you mean by it. At the same time, performing to what our fitness/training/whatever suggests we should achieve is exactly what ideally happens when things work well, so it's worth enjoying it when it does work out like that! Or do you feel like you could have done more? If so there's always next time ;)

Hope the hamstring is nothing lasting.

Congrats on the PB! Maybe the concern for the hamstring is holding back the PB joy... hope it's nothing serious. You're (as usual) being very sensible with rest etc.

On the pre-race session, I was just gonna do the session in the plan this week before a 10k on Sunday. But you've given me food for thought with your approach.
    I won't be wheeling out that session before every race, but this was my main mid-plan race so decided it was worth the adjustment. Probably doesn't make too much difference in the grand scheme of things, but I like the confidence boost it gives me. Others will prefer the security of staying on plan I'm sure.
    Youch on the hammy. I did something similar in a race a few years back and could barely walk for the rest of the day but it resolved itself very quickly. Hopefully it's the same for you.

Well done on the race. That's some really nice improvements you've made. It's great to have the same race as a benchmark.
    Hamstring feels almost 100% now today. I'll probably give it one more day then try a few easy miles on Friday, hopefully.
    eyrie wrote: »
    It's amazing to be able to chart that kind of progress, it's a massive improvement to have made in a few years, and a big PB compared to last year too. I've had that nonplussed feeling about races too and I know what you mean by it. At the same time, performing to what our fitness/training/whatever suggests we should achieve is exactly what ideally happens when things work well, so it's worth enjoying it when it does work out like that! Or do you feel like you could have done more? If so there's always next time ;)

Hope the hamstring is nothing lasting.
    Now that the hamstring fog is clearing I'm a bit happier about the race. Also, I've remembered that heading into the final 3k I thought that 36:00 would be achievable, so maybe that's why I was initially disappointed. I'd worked out my paces based on an even 10k, but it was more like 10.1 on my watch, plus the last few km was into the wind. Another pacing lesson learned there.

I won't be wheeling out that session before every race, but this was my main mid-plan race so decided it was worth the adjustment. Probably doesn't make too much difference in the grand scheme of things, but I like the confidence boost it gives me. Others will prefer the security of staying on plan I'm sure.

Hamstring feels almost 100% now today. I'll probably give it one more day then try a few easy miles on Friday, hopefully.

Now that the hamstring fog is clearing I'm a bit happier about the race. Also, I've remembered that heading into the final 3k I thought that 36:00 would be achievable, so maybe that's why I was initially disappointed. I'd worked out my paces based on an even 10k, but it was more like 10.1 on my watch, plus the last few km was into the wind. Another pacing lesson learned there.

Don't get me wrong, you're doing well'n'all but it might be a while before you run 36 for a 10k ;)

Don't get me wrong, you're doing well'n'all but it might be a while before you run 36 for a 10k ;)

Ha, nicely spotted!! #longtermgoals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Nice PB! Well done, great to see the progression over time too, i love revisiting certain races for that reason :)

Well the plan for me had 2 mins Vo2 reps last night and were NOT a confidence booster, should have went with 1 min!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on the pb. Hopefully the hamstring will stay 100% now and let you back to your training.

18th - 24th March

Monday - Thursday
    Rest, rest, rest and more rest. There's nothing like a bit of an injury scare to make you appreciate running. Felt the envy anytime I saw someone out and about. The injury progressed all week, to the point where everything felt normal by Thursday and I felt comfortable chancing a few miles on Friday.

Friday: 40 mins very easy, 3.67 miles @ 11:00
    Enjoyed this. I didn't feel anything untoward during the run, although there was a little soreness later that evening.

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday: 80 mins easy, 7.80 miles @ 10:16
    This was bliss. Hamstring felt fine throughout, although there's a touch of soreness again this evening.

I'll be keeping the mileage in check and everything easy again this week. I get the feeling that the hamstring would flare up again if I tried upping the pace, so definitely wary of that. Physio appointment is Monday week, so I may try a few strides next weekend to see if there's a reaction and have a fuller picture going in.

Some great results from these parts over the past couple of weekends. Well done to all. Seeing those performances really whets the appetite for the months ahead. Speaking of which, clocks go forward next weekend. Halelujiah!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Hoping the hamstring injury is minor enough and you can shake it off pretty quickly, A.

25th - 31st March

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday: 40 mins very easy (3.71 miles @ 10:59)
    Short window after work to squeeze in a few miles. Nothing special, just a nice gentle evening trot as darkness fell.

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday: 60 mins easy (6.01 miles @ 10:10)
    This was a lovely run on a beautiful evening. I ran around the grass pitches at UL, and there was plenty more runners doing the same thing. Nice to run on dry grass for a change!

Friday: 60 mins very easy, with 4 × strides thrown in (6.01 miles @ 10:30)
    A beautiful morning this time around my usual local loop. Tossed in a few strides to gauge the hamstring a few days ahead of the physio appointment. No issues to report.

Saturday: 40 mins very easy, 3.69 miles @ 11:07
    A late evening run after a long day at work. I didn't have too much enthusiasm for this one, but got it done.

Sunday: 1 hour 45 mins easy (10:16 miles @10:20)
    This was a really enjoyable early morning effort. Legs felt a bit heavy at times, and felt a bit of tightness in the hamstring around 8 miles in, which disappeared after a few minutes.

Just shy of 30 miles for the week, all at an easy or very easy pace, and 112 miles for March. That's 20 or so miles short of what I'd have liked, but that couldn't be helped. Had the physio appointment today and she identified a bit of a weakness in my left leg, so I've been assigned some glute stretching and strengthening exercises. I can keep running, but no speed stuff for another 2-3 weeks. I'm happy enough with that diagnosis as it could have been a lot worse. Still, all going well, that's the Annerville 10km in May knocked back from goal race to non-target race. I'll look for something towards the end of June and train towards that I think.

1st April - 7th April

One thing I neglected to mention about last weeks physio visit was that she used some dry needling on my leg. What a weird sensation that is! Anyway, nothing too exciting this week, all easy/very easy:

Monday
    Rest, and the aforementioned physio appointment.

Tuesday: 70 mins very easy (6.58 miles @ 10:51)
    This was a recce of the Annerville 10km course. It's not as flat as I had thought. No monster hills or anything, but enough drags to keep you honest and the last couple of miles are on a flat straight stretch, but always seems to be into the wind anytime I run it. Legs felt a little tired, but nothing major.

Wednesday: 60 mins very easy (5.47 miles @ 10:59)
    Started off this one in a light drizzle, which gave way to sun, followed by a hailstone shower before the sun returned for a finish. It's no fun running while being battered by hailstones.

Thursday: 80 mins easy (7.76 miles @ 10:19)
    With sessions off the table for the minute, I decided to add a midweek "medium" run. This was enjoyable, easy pace felt like a treat after the very easy stuff earlier in the week.

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday: 60 mins very easy (5.70 miles @ 10:54)
    I'm working nights these few days and this was one of those runs that was more effort than it should have been due to being on nights.

Sunday: 60 mins very easy (5.55 miles @ 10:59)
    Had planned a long run for this afternoon, but I had a good sleep instead. Popped out for a very easy hour and pushed the long run back to tomorrow, hopefully.

31 miles for the week, which I'm happy with. I've been keeping up the prescribed stretching and strengthening exercises and I'm optimistic the hamstring is getting there. Certainly no issues with it this week. I've enjoyed the freedom of being off-plan and just easy running over the last while.
    It's just allowed me a little mental break I think. That said, I am looking forward to getting stuck into a session again before too long, hopefully.

Nice and sensible week! Hope you get back session-ing soon.

Nice and sensible week! Hope you get back session-ing soon.

Thanks! I was going to throw in this big local hill one of the days, but then skyblue mentioned somewhere that hamstrings do all the work when climbing hills so I thought it best to leave it. Another 10 or so days of easy stuff and then hopefully back to normal.

8th April - 14th April

Monday: 2 hours easy (11.63 miles @ 10:20)
    This was my long run which got pushed back from last week. Headed out late in the evening, and don't remember much about it other than racing the light to get off the unlit bypass and into town before darkness closed in.

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy (5.53 miles @ 10:51)
    Another one that I've little memory of!

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday: 74 mins very easy (6.89 miles @ 10:47)
    This one I remember. A lovely afternoon and a really enjoyable run. Added a bit onto my usual hour to try and keep the mileage up while I'm on this easy/very easy diet.

Friday: 60 mins very easy (5.56 miles @ 10:47)
    Yeah, I dunno. Very easy hour #431. I did note that my very easy pace has come down a bit recently, probably due to the absence of sessions.

Saturday: 75 mins easy (7.28 miles @ 10:18)
    I had no firm plan setting out for this one, which is never a good idea. Anything up to 2 hours was in my mind, but the weather was nasty enough out and I just wasn't feeling it today. Considered calling it a day numerous times and eventually bargained with myself for a 75 minute compromise. Happened upon a race in progress at one stage. They were doing one mile loops where I sometimes run. A bit of strava snooping later and it turns out it was a 24 hour race! This one! I'm still in awe. It struck me as such a soul destroying loop to do on repeat for 24 hours! Later a dog off his lead ran into me like I was a coursing hare he was trying to turn. I gesticulated at his owner who was across the other side of a pitch, and decided this just wasn't meant to be an enjoyable days running.

Sunday:
    Rest

36.9 miles for the week, which is my highest mileage week since January. I'm hopeful enough that I'm not going backwards during this easy-only phase, but I'm dying to get back session-ing again. Physio on Thursday, so hopefully get the all clear then, and I might try something a bit pacier beforehand to see where I stand.

Edit: Almost forgot, well done to all running the GIR today, some savage performances from these parts.

• Advertisement

36.9 miles for the week, which is my highest mileage week since January. I'm hopeful enough that I'm not going backwards during this easy-only phase

I've a feeling you'll come back even stronger. Good luck with the physio.

I've a feeling you'll come back even stronger. Good luck with the physio.

Agreed. I’d say you are building up a nice little base there and will be ready to build on that nicely.

15th April - 21st April

Monday: 40 mins very easy (3.54 miles @ 11:22)
    Hopped on the treadmill for a late night effort. Felt a lot longer than 40 minutes.

Tuesday: 60 mins easy (5.85 miles @ 10:17)
    There's a local hill that I'd been avoiding for the past year. I'd used the bottom section for my hill sessions earlier this year, but haven't ventured further since my one and only foray over the top last February, an attempt which really took it out of me. Decided on the spur of the moment that this would be the day for a revisit, and it was great! A tough slog no doubt, but certainly nothing to fear, and a section that I'll look to add to my long runs on an occasional basis from now on. The weather was smashing for this, and pace was a touch on the fast side considering the conditions, and that I'd a big hill in the middle. Effort didn't feel excessive though.

Wednesday: 60 mins very easy, with 4 strides thrown in (6.00 miles @ 10:26)
    I hadn't intended on doing the strides, but when I got onto the straight section of this route I decided that the hamstring need a bit of a test, so went with it. All felt good. Pace again just a touch on the fast side.

Thursday: Rest
    My physio appointment was scheduled for today, but a change of work plans meant I had to cancel. The physio had said originally that she expected the hamstring to be right by now, and to cancel the appointment if everything felt fine. Apart from some tiredness it has felt fine for the past while, so I'm happy enough to return to some sessions, while of course keeping an eye on it.

Friday: 30 mins tempo (6.55 miles @ 9:05, including w/u & c/d)
    Range: 8:03-8:15
    Actual: 8:13, 8:12, 8:03, 8:12

Another smashing day and it was great to be back knocking out this type of effort. The route was pretty hilly, so effort was more varied than the paces might suggest. I really enjoyed this one. Struggled to reign the pace back in sufficiently on the cool down.

Saturday: 1 hour 45 mins easy (10:38 miles @ 10:09)
    Another run in fabulous weather, and once again I was a touch too fast. Effort felt fine for the most part again though, bar maybe the last mile or so. Legs felt appropriately tired following the previous days effort, and indeed a solid weeks effort.

Sunday: 60 mins very easy (5.63 miles @ 10:50)
    In keeping with the weeks trend, this run was again a touch faster than my typical pace for very easy. Hilly route and warm day but effort felt ok.

37.9 miles for the week, which makes for a very solid couple of weeks. Nice to get some stuff in this week too. Hamstring feels fine so I'm just going to motor on and keep a watchful eye on it. I'm not sure of a reason for my slightly faster efforts this week, could be the lack of session has the legs fresher, or just a general uptick in fitness/speed. Everything is still more or less within the correct ranges anyway, just at the faster end of the range. I'll see how this week goes on that front.

I've spotted a couple of 10km races towards the end of June, so I'm looking at one of those as a target race for the moment. Need to work things out a bit first, but I'll probably jump back into the grads 5k/10k plan at week 6, which would take me up to either of those June races. I'm considering a parkrun at the weekend to gauge where I'm at, but I'll make a call on that later in the week.

22nd April - 28th April

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy (5.77 miles @ 10:56)
    Back to my standard very easy pace following last weeks issues with being a tad too pacy.

Wednesday: 5 x 5 min CV, with 4 min recoveries
    CV Range: 7:30 - 7:20
    Actual Paces: 7:33, 7:33, 7:25, 7:29, 7:33

Screwed up the programming of the watch which meant I had to manually lap the final 4 reps, adding more mental effort to a session which took a strong effort anyway. The weather had turned cooler for this which suited me fine. A chunkier than normal warm-up and cool-down gave me 8.82 miles for the day. First proper session in a while, and I was happy enough with it.

Thursday:
    Rest

Friday: 3 x 8 min threshold, with 3 min recoveries
    Threshold range: 7:51 - 7:40
    Actual paces: 7:49, 7:49, 7:49

Switched the planned Friday and Saturday runs as there were Friday pints to be had. This felt a lot more comfortable than the CV effort earlier in the week, and was a run I really enjoyed. First 2 reps were nice and evenly paced, third was a bit more up and down due to drags and pedestrians. 7.35 miles for the day.

Saturday:
    "Rest"
    60 mins very easy was the plan, but the previous evening's drinking had taken it's toll and I was confined to the couch for the day.

Sunday: 90 mins easy (8.79 miles @ 10:14)
    Happy enough to get back in the runners for this one. Loads of runners out and about, no doubt inspired by London this morning. Chucked my name on the ballot for next year for the craic.

30.7 miles for the week, so something of a step-back week in the end, but with 2 sessions thrown in it's another good week in my book. Hamstring has been fine lately, although the back of my heel has been sore for the last few days. I read that this could be due to an increase in hill work, and I've done hillier routes over the past couple of weeks alright, so I reverted to flatter plains towards the end of this week. Another thing to keep an eye on. Didn't get in the parkrun that I mentioned last week, so the 10km race in a couple of weeks will be harder to judge, which might be a good thing for me actually.

29th April - 5th May

Monday: 60 mins very easy (5.46 miles @ 11:00)
    A late evening run after work around the grass pitches at UL. All felt good, and I had a very interesting PM in my Boards inbox when I got back!

Tuesday:
    No running - felt like crap and had to leave work at 11 as I felt unwell. It kind of came out of nowhere, although it seems to have gone around the office.

Wednesday:
    No running - took the day off work (really not like me). Not feeling a whole lot better than yesterday. Lots of sleep.

Thursday:
    No running - on the mend now and feeling fine, but decided to leave the running for another day in case there was anything lingering.

Friday: 75 mins very easy (6.84 miles @ 11:00)
    Decided I was up to some very easy miles. Felt fine and good to be back out on the roads again!

Saturday: 30 mins tempo
    Tempo range: 8:15 - 8:03
    Actual paces: 8:09, 8:10, 8:13, 8:02

This got easier as it went on. The first 10-15 mins at tempo felt like more work than I thought they should, but by the end I was much more comfortable. I really like tempo pace. 7.77 miles for the day with w/u and c/d.

Sunday: 1 hour 45 mins easy
    I had a long run planned for Sunday afternoon, but I woke feeling wrecked and grumpy (apparently!). Looking back on the week, I was probably still wrecked on Friday and Saturday from the midweek dose. Anyway, as advised by herself, I canned the long run and took an afternoon nap instead! Best decision I've made in a while as it turns out. Felt like a new man afterwards and got the long run on Monday instead. Sometimes the best run is no run.

So this week left April behind us, and with 142 miles it ranks as my second highest mileage month to date. Most of the miles were easy due to the hamstring injury, but as Huzzah! and Kellygirl noted, it should stand to me as a great base. For perspective, I'll resurrect my mileage table:

Month|2016|2017|2018|2019
    January|21|5|51|131
    February|19||51|119
    March|27||62|112
    April|3||55|142
    May|1|18|74
    June|2|38|96
    July||33|129
    August||49|137
    September|1|25|179
    October|4|42|131
    November|6|40|34
    December||51|84
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083

For the week ahead, I've the 10km race in Clonmel on Sunday. This had been an "A-target" race for the first half of the year, but it's more of a "B-target" now. Given the recent lack of sessions I'm really not sure what to expect. Maybe a slight PB on 46:29, but not near my sub 45 goal for the year? I don't know. I'll give it a good rattle anyway, see what happens!

And then there is the small matter of this! First off, I'm truly honoured to have been asked, so thanks very much to ariana' for deeming me worthy! Very big shoes to fill! It's a testament to the great job that she, Kellygirl and skyblue46 did last year that I had so many willing and capable candidates to assist me, but I'm delighted that Huzzah! and ReeReeG agreed to come on board. With those two looking out for them, the 2019 novices will be in great hands. I won't lie, it's a daunting task, but having gained so much from this forum, I'm thrilled to be in a position to give something back. Excited, but nervous!

You’ll be great - a brilliant mentor.

Hope the race goes really well next weekend.

I really think you could surprise yourself on Sunday and get more than a slight PB. You've had your second highest mileage month, so the fitness isn't lost after the setback, maaaaybe some sharpness but I dunno. What's the course profile like??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Best of luck with the Mentor role A, you'll do a great job.

Good luck with the 10k on Sunday, back yourself, you've a load of great training behind you with great endurance built up. Don't worry about the lack of sessions.
    I would say, put yourself on pace for a PB for the first 3 or 4 kms and see how you're feeling then, you can always dial it back slightly if it's feeling too quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Best of luck with the Mentored Novice thread, you will do a great job with it.

Similar to the others I think you will run a cracker in the 10K at the weekend, back yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Qupamyav

good luck, wish you gain more

Advertisement