Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Congrats again and great report. I'll keep this simple...your latest race for training paces. You're well able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Really great running A! Congrats again on the PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Congrats again and great report. I'll keep this simple...your latest race for training paces. You're well able for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! That's good enough for me, looks like I'll be using shiny new paces so :)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Really great running A! Congrats again on the PB :)

Thanks, again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done on the race, 5Ks are tough going. Definitely take the pace from your most current race. You're putting in really solid training, keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done on the race. That is fantastic. Should your report say 21:06 instead of 26:06?

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done on the race. That is fantastic. Should your report say 21:06 instead of 26:06?

Cheers! Yep, it should! Edited now, thanks!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Cheers! Yep, it should! Edited now, thanks!

I was double checking before I commented - thought maybe it was a 5 mile - now that would have been some time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nicely done there A. Sounds like a tough course; plenty of improvement to come on more favourable terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Well done A, another PB in the bag and it sounds like there's another slice to come off that time on a more favourable course as Wubble Wubble said.

Keep backing yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You paint a great picture. I enjoyed that report. Congrats on the PB. You've put in some really fantastic training and it's great to see you reaping the rewards.

• Advertisement

27th May - 2nd June

Monday: 60 mins very easy, with strides (5.68 miles @ 10:38)
    Threw in a few strides towards the end of this one as a little loosener for the race the next day

Tuesday: Rosegreen 5k race
    Thanks for all the kind words following this! I have a question relating to warm-ups and cooldowns. I usually do 10-15 minutes of each, at an easy pace, with a couple of strides thrown in to the warm-up. What do most people do, and how long would you be trying to leave between the end of the warm-up and start of the race? Similarly, how soon after the race would you do the cooldown?

Wednesday: 50 mins very easy (4.53 miles @ 11:04)
    Had intended on doing an hour, but the legs were really feeling it from the previous evenings exertions so cut it a touch short.

Wednesday also featured one of the highlights of my running journey so far. My 4 year olds pre-school had asked if any parents would be interested to come in and speak to the children about their jobs or hobbies. Well, my job would bore them to tears, but I offered to do a talk on running. I was a bit nervous going in, but it went really well. I had them do some stretches, showed them what I wear in various weather conditions, and brought in a few of my medals. The 20 minutes flew by, and the kids showed great enthusiasm. My young lad was as proud as punch :)

Thursday:
    Rest

Friday: 45 mins very easy (4.2 miles @ 10:43)
    New paces :)
    I actually forgot to check what the paces should be beforehand, so just went a little faster than I had been doing previously. Kept it to 45 minutes as it had been a long day at work. Did most of this on grass.

Saturday: 30 mins tempo
    Range: 7:57 - 7:45
    Actual: 8:00, 7:51, 7:51, 7:58
    This felt like a decent workout. Definitely noticed the step up in paces.

Sunday:
    Rest - A bit of a Champions League hangover and a general sense of deflation following the result led to me pushing my long run to tomorrow. COYS.

A solid 119 miles for May, and with 3 good races in the month I'm very happy with how it went. I might do another 5km race this coming Saturday evening in New Inn. There was a decent field of ~300 runners last year in this race. The only issue is that it comes in the middle of a set of night shifts, so I'll see how I am on the day before deciding.

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Wednesday also featured one of the highlights of my running journey so far. My 4 year olds pre-school had asked if any parents would be interested to come in and speak to the children about their jobs or hobbies. Well, my job would bore them to tears, but I offered to do a talk on running. I was a bit nervous going in, but it went really well. I had them do some stretches, showed them what I wear in various weather conditions, and brought in a few of my medals. The 20 minutes flew by, and the kids showed great enthusiasm. My young lad was as proud as punch

Ah this is the cutest! Good on ya

I’d be interested in the warm up and cool down question too. I usually do the same as you before a race and I don’t think I‘ve ever done a cool down run!!

Well done on the talk at the pre school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd normally do about 3 miles warm up jog before a 5k, with a couple of strides thrown in. I do less and less of a warm up as the race distance increases. Cool downs normally pretty soon after the race although I will admit to postponing it in favour of getting first dibs on sandwiches :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I usually do few miles either side of a race 5k to 10 mile. Just easy stuff, I know plenty throw strides in but I don’t. That’s what works for me suppose it’s the same for yourself, find what you think best suits you & do that.

Regarding how soon to do a cool down, before you have a belly full of sambos, cake & coffee!!

Cheers for the replies on the warm up and cool down question. It's only recently that I've added strides to the warm up for shorter races - possibly just a mental reassurance that the legs can handle a bit of pace, especially after pinging my hamstring at the start of a race in March.

I hadn't thought about adjusting the warm up distance based on the race distance, but it makes perfect sense. Cool down before food makes sense too, but......

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Wednesday also featured one of the highlights of my running journey so far. My 4 year olds pre-school had asked if any parents would be interested to come in and speak to the children about their jobs or hobbies. Well, my job would bore them to tears, but I offered to do a talk on running. I was a bit nervous going in, but it went really well. I had them do some stretches, showed them what I wear in various weather conditions, and brought in a few of my medals. The 20 minutes flew by, and the kids showed great enthusiasm. My young lad was as proud as punch :)

A great story A- well done! Was there any heckling;)?

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    A great story A- well done! Was there any heckling;)?

I preferred to think of it as "audience participation"

3rd June - 9th June

Monday: 2 hours easy (12.26 miles @ 10:03)
    The new paces meant this was 20 seconds or so per mile faster than I had been doing my long runs at. Really enjoyed this, found my rhythm easily and this was my longest run since DCM I'm pretty sure.

Tuesday: 65 mins very easy (6.09 miles @10:40)
    In contrast to the easy pace which I found came naturally, I'm finding the new very easy pace much more of a challenge. Just can't seem to tune into it.

Wednesday: Rest
    A bit of a resolutions week this week, with sleep, diet and cross training under the microscope. Sleep didn't improve much, diet hasn't been atrocious but always room for improvement and this week was better. Got in my first workout DVD in a couple of months on Wednesday, which will hopefully become a regular thing.

Thursday: 8 x 1 min hills, 2-3 min recoveries
    I had previously done this session a couple of times back in February and March and decided to give it another whirl. Chose the same hill and I was really pleased with how it went. I remembered the point on the hill that I reached in the minute previously, and this time I was sailing well past it. Nice to have a very definite measure of progress. I know paces aren't much use over for a 1 minute rep, but still they show a substantial improvement over the last time:

Paces were 6:56, 6:58, 6:33, 6:57, 6:44, 6:42, 6:47, 6:33. Back in March paces were 7:10 - 7:56. Really happy with this, 7.11 miles for the day.

Friday: 60 mins very easy (5.7 miles @ 10:32)
    Into Clonmel for a bit of a flatter route after the hill session. Kept the paces even enough, although it still didn't feel natural.

Saturday: Rest
    I mentioned last week a potential 5k race on this day. Decided earlier in the week to let it slide as it wouldn't have been ideal timing, coming in the middle of a set of night shifts.

Sunday: 50 mins very easy (4.55 miles @ 11:00)
    This turned into a bit of a reverse progression run. I'd had a small bit of a dose on Saturday, but felt fine today so headed out for 45-60 mins depending on how I felt. Paranoia set in as I noticed the HR slightly higher than usual for this type of run. This led me to going progressively slower and slower as I tried to bring the HR down. Felt fine physically, so hopefully just overthinking it.

35.7 miles for the week. Current plan is for a 5k race either this Thursday or Friday, depending on which ends up suiting best. After that it's hopefully the Dundrum 10k at the start of July, followed by 2 easy-only weeks to take me into the DCM block.

10th June - 16th June

Monday: 90 mins easy (9.01 miles @ 10:18)
    Managed to squeeze this in either side of two massive showers. The closing mile was to a backdrop of thunder and lightning - that's always unnerving! Still felt I had the remnants of whatever cold I had the week before.

Tuesday:
    Rest

Wednesday: 60 mins very easy, including strides
    Sadlt, I had to don the rain jacket for this one. It's June :(
    Chucked in a few strides towards the end to loosen the legs ahead of a 5k the following day.

Thursday: Coolagown 5k - 21:08
    Crossed the border into Cork for this race. I knew that my Rosegreen time of 21:06 was a bit false, as that course definitely seemed short, but still I was targeting sub 21 here, however ambitious that may have been. The pre-race chatter among the locals was all about "the hill" - I'd soon find out why. An older guy was telling his Grange-Fermoy clubmates that once you get around the final big turn (just under a mile from the finish) to chase the runner in front like they stole your wallet :pac: I'd recce'd that section on my warm-up, so knew it was a gentle downhill all the way home.

Mile 1 - 6:45
    Pretty gentle downhill for the first 3/4 of this mile. Took a bit of time to settle into a rhythm as the start was pretty busy (274 runners). Down through the village and we passed around the outside of the finishing line. Lots of locals out to support, and a DJ providing encouragement. We hit the bottom of the hill towards the end of this mile - it didn't get too steep yet, and I just tried to keep a decent level of effort without completely overdoing it just yet. Had a brief moment of panic as I passed the 1 mile marker - why was there a 1 mile marker in a 5k race :confused: Had I entered a 5 mile race by mistake? Checked my number, which had "Coolagown 5k" across the top. Phew!

Mile 2 - 7:21
    The first half of this mile was all uphill. I just tried to keep the effort level decent and grind my way up there. It was extremely steep in some parts. I thought we'd reached the summit at one point but the next bend revealed plenty more hill ahead. Got to the top eventually as a sharp left-hander put us on the "main road." Got my breath back here and picked up the pace as best I could, although efforts were not helped by a rather unhelpful breeze blowing into our faces. I found myself slightly isolated along this stretch for a while too. A Galtee Runner passed me and muttered something about the "bloody wind" - I mustered a barely audible "yep" in response. I was working really hard along here, trying to pick up the pace.

Mile 3 - 6:24
    We came off the main road and around the bend the Grange-Fermoy guy described earlier. I knew there was a long way to go yet, but I tried to lift the effort again. Every time I thought it hurt, I raised the effort another notch - like some sort of sadist. I passed the Galtee Runner from earlier who gave words of encouragement. I was flying it now. Passed the start line and down through the village. Kids lined the side of the road with their arms outstretched for high-5's, I didn't have the energy - even for the one lad in a Spurs top.

Closing 0.11 - 5:26
    I managed to muster a high 5 for the very last kid in the line. Rounded that final curve and could see the finish line ahead - 20:40 on the clock. Could I do it? I pushed harder again, but the clock beat me on this occasion. 21:08. Super happy with that though - I thoroughly enjoyed the race I must say.

5.48 miles for the evening with warm-up and cool down. Felt like puking on the cooldown, but I was right as rain after a cup of tea and a sandwich. The offerings had been well and truly ransacked by the time I got in for a sambo - I may have to reconsider pushing the cooldown until after the food :pac:

Had a great chat with tbukela about all things running. It was great to talk about running to someone in real life who "get's it" - I don't often get the chance. I really should join a club!

Friday: recovery (3.94 miles @ 10:55)
    Legs were in pretty decent shape following the previous night's efforts. Kept this nice and easy.

Saturday: 60 mins very easy (5.64 miles @ 10:45)
    Nothing too hectic - still taking it handy after the 5k

Sunday: 90 mins easy (8.91 miles @ 10:16)
    Legs felt fresh enough for this. Got caught in a downpour so decided that I'd enough done for the week and called it quits a bit earlier than intended.

38 miles for the week. Very pleased with how it went. Currently on the lookout for another 5k to find those few seconds and dip under 21 :cool:

• Advertisement

Well done again in the race. Great effort. I’m going to try remember that one about chasing somebody as if they stole your wallet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done again in the race. Great effort. I’m going to try remember that one about chasing somebody as if they stole your wallet!!

Well done on a super week's running A, nice mileage too!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Your finish was very impressive, serious turn of pace. I'd forgotten that it must look strange for miles markers in a 5K but its the norm around our way. Even in 10Ks! Make your way down for the 10K in November and I promise a top notch spread, best in the county!

17th June - 23rd June

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 60 mins very easy (5.5 miles @10:43)
    Did this after work, mainly on grass. I've started going more by feel for these ones and being less reliant on the watch. I'll still check the watch occasionally, but I'm trying to tune into the effort more so than sticking rigidly to the prescribed pace.

Wednesday:
    5,4,3,2,1 min @ (Thres/CV/AP/Vo2/110%) paces w/ equal recovery

When the chance arises, I've been doing random sessions that I either liked or missed from the 5k/10k grads plan earlier in the year. This is one I didn't get the chance to do first time around, and it looked like fun, so I decided now was the time. Took a while to program this on the Garmin!

Pace|Range|Actual
    Threshold|7:34-7:23|7:34
    CV|7:13-7:04|7:09
    AP|6:55-6:46|6:52
    VO2|6:38-6:31|6:40
    110%|as fast as ****|5:26

I really liked this session. Don't remember too much detail about each individual rep, just that I was working pretty hard on each one, particular the later ones. I wasn't too sure what was meant by equal recoveries, so just went with 3 minutes for each. 6.76 miles after warm up and cool down.

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 60 mins very easy (5.5 miles @ 10:48)
    Lovely sunny midday trot. One of those "I'm so happy I get to do this" runs.

Saturday: 1 hour 45 mins easy (10.37 miles @ 10:13
    We were heading away for the night, so got this done reasonably early. Based on advice gleaned in the Novices thread, I've ditched the gels for now. I'll pick up some Maurten gels at some stage before DCM and give those a try, but I'll try and get the body less reliant on gels in the meantime.

A gang of us then had spent the afternoon and night just off Lough Derg. Spent a good hour on the inflatable water park here, which I'm counting as my cross-training for the week. It was excellent fun. Unfortunately, rather than taking the little boat back to shore as recommended, we swam back, and I suffered a nasty little gash on the ball of my foot after treading on a rock where the lake got shallower near the shore. Turns out that's precisely the reason they tell you not to swim in.

It's enough of a cut to curtail my running for a few days. My in-house nurse advises no running to allow the cut a chance to heal, and also to reduce the risk of it become infected. Lovely.

Sunday: 60 mins very easy enforced rest :(

In the end, a disappointing 28.2 miles for the week, and a spanner thrown into plans for the coming week. I had intended on heading to Borrisoleigh on Tuesday evening to hopefully get my sub 21k 5k, but that plan has now been shelved. I had the Dundrum 10k pencilled in for the following week, and may still do that (providing the foot plays ball), but the sub 21 5k has now become my main goal for this little block, so I'll forget about Dundrum if I find a 5k that suits instead. Day of PB's is a possibility I suppose, but I had the two weeks either side of that earmarked as a little base block before beginning DCM training.

Speaking of DCM, I've signed up for the Clonmel HM in the build up (Aug 25), and I've been trying to fit in another half too. Charleville crossed my mind, but that's only 3 weeks after Clonmel and so I'm now leaning towards the Race Series HM. 90% certain that I'll go with that one - I'll think on it for another day or so.

Hi A, equal recoveries are just making the recovery the same time as what you have just ran so 5 min recovery after the 5 min threshold; 4 mins after the 4 mins CV and so on.

Sorry about the foot. Hope it heels fast.

Hi A, equal recoveries are just making the recovery the same time as what you have just ran so 5 min recovery after the 5 min threshold; 4 mins after the 4 mins CV and so on.

Sorry about the foot. Hope it heels fast.

Thanks K, that makes sense - I hadn't thought too much about the recoveries before the session, and it was only when doing the first one that I gave it more consideration. I guess 3 minutes each was not the worst shout at least.

24th June - 30th June

Monday - Wednesday: Rest
    My foot needed another few days to heal following last week's accident - I might have been ok by Wednesday, but decided another day would do no harm. A combination of frustration at no running and night shift blues meant I didn't even bother attempting a cross-training session.

These few days weren't a total washout from a running perspective though. I booked the race series HM, and a random comment from skyblue46 in another log led me to look at my cadence. It's pretty bad: 155-160 typically :eek:
    I spent a lot of time watching various youtube tutorials and I downloaded a metronome app to the phone.

Thursday: 40 mins very easy (3.79 miles @ 11:07). Cadence 156
    We took advantage of the scorching weather and had a family picnic and bit of a trek around a local wood. I got dropped off halfway home and ran the rest of the way. Kept this short enough to test the foot - no issues to report :)
    I forgot the metronome but tried to keep an eye on my cadence - that didn't work!

Friday: 60 mins very easy (5.58 miles @ 11:07). Cadence 161
    I remembered the metronome for this one. Set the rate at 160 and off I set. Got some strange looks at the tick-tick-tick sound eminating from my person, but it worked. Felt a bit weird but I'll stick with it - I reckoned I was on my toes more than usual too.

Saturday: 2 hours easy (12:01 miles @ 10:15). Cadence 161
    This was the earliest I've ran ever I think. Up at 06:45 and straight into the gear - I swallowed a banana, did a few strecthes and out the door. I felt stiff as hell for the first three miles - stopped for a stretch around this point and felt a lot smoother after that. I chose a pretty hill route, with one monster hill in particular included. I left the metronome turned off for this one (I'll just use it on the very easy days I think), and was delighted to see the cadence come in at 161. Progress!

Sunday: 45 mins very easy (4.35 miles @ 10:29). Cadence 161
    A few pints were had last night, so I ran in to collect the car this morning. HR was a bit higher than normal, presumably due to said pints. Set the metronome to 162 but turned the volume down a touch, which turned out to be a mistake as I couldn't hear it half the time due to traffic.

25.7 miles for the week - not too bad considering the start. June finishes with 135 miles which I'm very happy with considering the couple of missed days recently. I've let the sub 21 5k target go for now - it will have to wait until after DCM. I'll hopefully make it to the Dundrum 10k on Wednesday - it's supposed to be a fast course with a quality field, so a PB should be the target. We'll see. That race will mark the end of this phase of the year - after that it's all eyes on Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

a random comment from skyblue46 in another log led me to look at my cadence. It's pretty bad: 155-160 typically :eek:
    I spent a lot of time watching various youtube tutorials and I downloaded a metronome app to the phone.

Wow, that's something I've never given a single thought to.

Mine appears to be very low also (approx 155). I'm on the case!!!! :eek:

coogy wrote: »
    Wow, that's something I've never given a single thought to.

Mine appears to be very low also (approx 155). I'm on the case!!!! :eek:

Yeah, 180 is the magic number it seems. Hopefully I can nudge mine towards 170 over the next month or so - don't want to be trying to make massive adjustments after that in the midst of marathon training.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Yeah, 180 is the magic number it seems. Hopefully I can nudge mine towards 170 over the next month or so - don't want to be trying to make massive adjustments after that in the midst of marathon training.

Were you just checking yours on Garmin Connect?

Advertisement