Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career

Options
  • 03-11-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

The cao is coming up in a few weeks and I have to make a few decisions to make.At the moment I'm kind of looking at primary school teaching or business with French.

I don't know which one I should put down as my top choice.For example is it easier now to find a job as a primary school teacher and what's the salary like and how long would it take to find a job.

What jobs could you do with business and is the pay better than primary school teaching

On a side note should I consider doing science if I'm only doing leaving cert biology.Would I able for the chemistry and/or physics in the course.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Business is a safe degree, and it opens up a lot of potential jobs. Pay can be much better than teaching.

Science is also pretty safe.

My advice to you is to choose the qualification which would give you the job you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Take the path you’re interested in and not what pays more.

Spending time in a job you dislike isn’t worth any money. It will lead to other issues -> mental health, unhappiness etc. That feeling is not to be underestimated.

3-4 years in college is a lot of time, money and work invested so you need to be sure it’s whats you want. By the time you get to the end, you won’t want to start all over again :)

Only you can decide what path you want. Think about whether you see yourself standing at the top of a classroom or in a business setting. Which do you want to do for 45 years.

As far as I know you can change your CAO decision up until a certain date but perhaps that has changed now.

If you’re really uncertain you could take a year out and work or do a short course (one year) in finance to see if it’s what you want. You would be surprised what difference a year can make :)

Advertisement