Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term Lease

Options
  • 03-11-2018 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I rented an apartment in August with a one-year fixed term lease. It was a rough time for me personally, and I didn't pay enough attention to the lease at the time, but re-reading it now, it has a very liberal break clause for the landlord:
    The landlord can terminate the tenancy without specifying grounds during the first 6 months, but once a tenancy has lasted 6 months, the landlord will be able to terminate that tenancy during the following 3½ years only if any of the following apply;

The tenant does not comply with the obligations of the tenancy
    · The dwelling is no longer suited to the occupants accommodation needs (e.g. overcrowded)
    · The landlord intends to sell the dwelling in the next 3 months
    · The landlord requires the dwelling for own or family member occupation
    · The landlord intends to refurbish the dwelling
    · The landlord intends to change the business use of the dwelling.

Duration of Tenancy Notice by Landlord

Less than 6 months 28 days
    6 or more months but less than 1 year 35 days
    1 year or more but less than 2 years 42 days
    2 years or more but less than 3 years 56 days
    3 years or more but less than 4 years 84 days
    4 years or more but less than 5 years 112 days
    5 years or more but less than 6 years 140 days
    6 years or more but less than 7 years 168 days
    7 years or more but less than 8 years 196 days
    8 or more years 224 days

This seems to be exactly the terms for a Part 4 tenancy so have I signed a fixed term lease that's only really a fixed term for me? I know I should have paid more attention to this before I signed and I don't think the landlord is planning to kick me out, but it looks like they could with just 28 days notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How on earth is that a liberal break clause for a landlord?

That is the Residential Tenancies Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It’s a Part IV where is fixed term mentioned?

Fixed term doesn’t really add much. Once there 6 months you have right to continue up to 6 years with only very limited reasons under which landlord can terminate. Which are about to become even more strict.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pkiernan wrote: »

It's not unusual for a lease to confer additional rights over and above those acquired under a part 4.

Graham wrote: »
    It's not unusual for a lease to confer additional rights over and above those acquired under a part 4.

There is nothing liberal about the break clauses listed above whatsoever.

There is nothing liberal about the break clauses listed above whatsoever.

They are quite liberal when compared to a fixed term lease that has no such break clauses.

• Advertisement

They are quite liberal when compared to a fixed term lease that has no such break clauses.

Please show me an example of such a lease.

Your anti landlord bias is showing again my friend!

Please show me an example of such a lease.

Up until quite recently residential leases with break clauses were the exception rather than the norm. Over the last few years, break clauses such as the above have become increasingly common (if not the current norm).

Anecdotally there are plenty of previous thread discussing both break clauses & the lack of break clauses from both a landlord and tenants perspective.

If you're able to read some of anti-landlord bias into that, well fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrianHartigan

That's kind of what I'm getting at. Even though I signed a one-year fixed term lease, I only have the protections of a Part 4. However, I can't break the lease under any circumstances until August 14th 2019.

The fixed term lease that I had in my previous apartment had a break clause for the landlord at six months. This one only seems to be fixed term for me and basically a Part 4 for the landlord.
    It’s a Part IV where is fixed term mentioned?

Fixed term doesn’t really add much. Once there 6 months you have right to continue up to 6 years with only very limited reasons under which landlord can terminate. Which are about to become even more strict.

The term is further up in the lease.
    Term 12 Months
    Fixed term tenancy agreement beginning on August 15th 2018 and ending on August 14th 2019

It also says my deposit will be kept if I don't complete the term.

It also says my deposit will be kept if I don't complete the term.

Legally speaking you could be held liable for the full rent up-to the end of the term unless the landlord has refused reassignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's a standard lease.

• Advertisement

Certainly sounds that way.

Most residential leases appear to be based on or around a handful of standard templates these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Legally speaking you could be held liable for the full rent up-to the end of the term unless the landlord has refused reassignment.

LL has a duty to mitigate loss. I can't see how, in this climate, he could hold the tenant liable to the end of the lease.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

LL has a duty to mitigate loss. I can't see how, in this climate, he could hold the tenant liable to the end of the lease.

+1
    3-4 weeks in the case of a lease broken without consent or in breach of its covenants- is standard- any more and it would, quite legitimately, be challenged. 3-4 weeks is reasonable though- given refurbishment etc necessary between lettings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Legally speaking, its assignment not reassignment. A landlord is expected to mitigate his loss so a tenant wouldn't have to pay the full rent up to the end of the term. As I see it, those break clauses are inconsistent with the existence of a fixed term. If the landlord attempted to terminate within the fixed term I would expect the o/p to be able to challenge it successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

That doesn't look like a "break clause", it looks like standard RTA Part 4 boilerplate that's been included in your lease (and which is also incorrect now in any case, as the Part 4 term for new tenancies is now six years, not four...). Many standard leases include similar wording simply to advise tenants of their rights under Part 4. The existence of a fixed term lease overrides the rights of the landlord to terminate the tenancy during the specified term even for a valid Part 4 reason, however, so they cannot terminate your lease during the one-year fixed term for any reason (except for breach of the lease terms or anti-social behaviour on your part).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

have a read of https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/ending-a-fixed-term-tenancy/what-is-a-fixed-term-tenancy-what-is-a-part-4-tenancy/
    A fixed term tenancy is a tenancy that lasts for a specific amount of time as set out in your tenancy agreement or lease. A ‘part 4’ tenancy runs alongside a fixed term tenancy

and http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#l3381e

dennyk wrote: »
    That doesn't look like a "break clause", it looks like standard RTA Part 4 boilerplate that's been included in your lease (and which is also incorrect now in any case, as the Part 4 term for new tenancies is now six years, not four...). Many standard leases include similar wording simply to advise tenants of their rights under Part 4. The existence of a fixed term lease overrides the rights of the landlord to terminate the tenancy during the specified term even for a valid Part 4 reason, however, so they cannot terminate your lease during the one-year fixed term for any reason (except for breach of the lease terms or anti-social behaviour on your part).

I was wondering if that might be the case. As in can it really be a fixed term if the term isn't fixed for both sides?

The entire section has the title "Break clause" though. I'm very happy here so I'd much prefer the right to stay for the sense of security. I wonder whether the break clause or fixed term takes precedence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

dennyk wrote: »

If the lease states the part 4 break terms as break clauses, the fixed term can be terminated for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

The residential tenancies acts as a minimum apply. That has sufficient protection for tenants. A fixed term can add to the security but it doesn’t have to.

I’ve no idea what is thread is about and am worried about some of the responses setting an agenda

As far as I can make out, residential fixed term leases are largely useless from both a landlord and tenants perspective.

It is rare for any recent residential lease to grant a tenant any additional rights/protections over and above those the tenant would ordinarily acquire under part 4.
    On the other hand a landlord (mostly) cannot enforce one of the primary benefits of a lease, i.e. the fixed term.

The only benefit I can see for either side is the clear definition of the rights/responsibilities of each party where those rights/responsibilities are not clearly defined in legislation.

• Advertisement

I’ve no idea what is thread is about and am worried about some of the responses setting an agenda

It's clear enough. My last fixed term lease meant I could stay for at least the year as long as I didn't breach the terms but this fixed term has no more protections than a part 4 tenancy. This wasn't always normal, but maybe it is now?

It's clear enough. My last fixed term lease meant I could stay for at least the year as long as I didn't breach the terms but this fixed term has no more protections than a part 4 tenancy. This wasn't always normal, but maybe it is now?

Thats not the case.
    A landlord cannot serve you with a termination of contract- even under Part IV terms- if you have a fixed term lease- until the elapse of the fixed term lease- regardless of what clauses and articles he/she puts in the lease (even if its a simple cut and paste from the Residential Tenancies Act- the fact that its a fixed term lease overrides these terms- and the more favourable aspect of the fixed term lease applies to the tenant (but not the landlord).

There is no benefit whatsoever for a landlord to give a tenant a fixed term lease- all the benefits accrue to the tenant (if it ever goes to arbitration.)

Funnily enough I have been getting fixed term tenancy agreements every year from the same landlord, despite me accruing part 4 rights anyway.

The landlord hired agency to deal with contracts only, so they just reissue them every year charging him for the privilege.

OP regardless of what is in the contract cannot reduce any of your rights and you don't have to worry at all. The landlord can't really add any break out clauses that do not comply with tenancy act so you are as safe (or even safer as other poster mentioned) as any other tenant.

Correct- a formal fixed term lease cannot dilute your rights under the Residential Tenancies Act in any manner- it does however, by virtue of it being a fixed term lease- confer significant additional rights on a tenant which he/she would not have under the Act. Aka- its stupid of the landlord to keep issuing fixed term leases- he is putting constraints on himself that wouldn't otherwise be in force.

Thats not the case.
    A landlord cannot serve you with a termination of contract- even under Part IV terms- if you have a fixed term lease- until the elapse of the fixed term lease- regardless of what clauses and articles he/she puts in the lease (even if its a simple cut and paste from the Residential Tenancies Act- the fact that its a fixed term lease overrides these terms- and the more favourable aspect of the fixed term lease applies to the tenant (but not the landlord).

How does that align with a fixed term lease which provides specific break clauses?

How does that align with a fixed term lease which provides specific break clauses?

There are no enforceable break clauses in fixed term tenancy agreement. They aren't worth writing down by landlord.

The RTB suggest otherwise.
    Break clause
    A break clause may be provided for in a fixed term tenancy agreement. If, for example, the break clause could be exercised after 18 months, and the landlord wanted to exercise the break clause after this time, the tenant could rely on their Part 4 rights to remain in the dwelling. However, if the tenant wanted to exercise the break clause, it would have to be agreed by the tenant and landlord.
    Source: RTB https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/ending-a-fixed-term-tenancy/

Which confirms that the tenant still can obtain part 4 rights regardless, however if the tenant wants to use it, it would just have to be agreed by both the tenant and the landlord.

This is not enforceable just because it is in contract and it does put the tenant in better position than landlord.

In short the tenant has to agree first.

I think we are thinking the same thing just from different perspective.

So a break clause in a fixed term tenancy that allows a landlord to terminate the lease prior to the end of the term to sell the property for example is a legitimate break clause as it aligns with the Part 4 rights of the tenant. (as long as the correct notice is given)

• Advertisement

So a break clause in a fixed term tenancy that allows a landlord to terminate the lease prior to the end of the term to sell the property for example is a legitimate break clause as it aligns with the Part 4 rights of the tenant. (as long as the correct notice is given)

The opposite really. I can pick part 4 or fixed term whichever suits me.

Advertisement