Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Satellite cable to Tuner B and loop cable would be routed how exactly? Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Satellite cable to Tuner B and loop cable would be routed how exactly? Thanks for the help.

There is no loop cable, you just connect your satellite feed to a tuner, the loop through is internal

Okay, I've set Tuner A to "Equal to tuner B" and Tuner B is set to Single and under Signal finder I'm getting signal on both tuner a and b. Is that what I'm aiming for, both tuners showing a signal?

There is no loop cable, you just connect your satellite feed to a tuner, the loop through is internal

Really? I've the little cable that came in the box stuck in the back from Tuner A out to tuner B....lol, it's internal? Man, everydays a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Okay, I've set Tuner A to "Equal to tuner B" and Tuner B is set to Single and under Signal finder I'm getting signal on both tuner a and b. Is that what I'm aiming for, both tuners showing a signal?
    Yes That's what you need . Now scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭trabpc

Love the new update. Working a treat. Notice that the RTE player is no longer working since I flashed new image.

TV 3 working ok?

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The OP (post #1) in this thread has been reported for “selling a service”.

Upon review of the post in question, I am satisfied that the OP is not proporting to sell anything. Therefore no mod action is required.

The person who reported the post may wish to PM if it was a different post they intended to report

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

trabpc wrote: »
    Love the new update. Working a treat. Notice that the RTE player is no longer working since I flashed new image.

TV 3 working ok?

Any ideas?

Rte Player has been known to be hard to get to work on a lot of platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That's a bit mad Ted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That's a bit mad Ted!!!

What? The RTE Player ?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

icdg wrote: »

Upon review of the post in question, I am satisfied that the OP is not proporting to sell anything. Therefore no mod action is required.

The person who reported the post may wish to PM if it was a different post they intended to report

Thanks, icdg. 🙂

The only service I am selling is advice and friendly support, in thanks for all the help I got from boards users, through the years. I have no commercial interest of any sort, direct or indirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

icdg wrote: »

Thanks, icdg. 🙂

The only service I am selling is advice and friendly support, in thanks for all the help I got from boards users, through the years. I have no commercial interest of any sort, direct or indirect.

I find it rather shocking that someone could be so bad minded as to do this.

@NewClareman kudos to you for 'giving back' so much!

Hi, I’m going to eat my words here...

The safest option, as you are unsure of the settings, is to disable the second tuner. I’m flat out at the moment, When I have a chance I’ll go through the settings for single cable mode, with the external loop cable, and post some screenshots. (I neglected to to do this when I set it up that way previously.)

From memory, you set Tuner B to “Loop through to Tuner A” and Tuner A to “Simple” This should tell the software that the available channels are restricted and that Tuner B has the same LNB settings as Tuner A. Sorry I can’t be of more help, for now.

McBain11 wrote: »
    Windows 10 on the laptop
    Picons
    The picon folder has to be installed on your hard drive directory /media/hdd/.
    You should be able to see the Tiviar Alphaplus under Network, using file explorer, as Samba makes the box visible, just as if it were another computer. You can then drag and drop the picon folder to the box, the same way you move any other file between directories. No other software is required.
    If the WebIF is working, but the drives are not visible, Samba may have stopped.
    Restart under: Main Menu => Setup => Network => CIFS/Samba Setup.

Hi, I’m going to eat my words here...

The safest option, as you are unsure of the settings, is to disable the second tuner. I’m flat out at the moment, When I have a chance I’ll go through the settings for single cable mode, with the external loop cable, and post some screenshots. (I neglected to to do this when I set it up that way previously.)

From memory, you set Tuner A to “Loop through to Tuner B” and Tuner B to “Equal to Tuner A” This should tell the software that the available channels are restricted and that Tuner B has the same LNB settings as Tuner A. Sorry I can’t be of more help, for now.
    Thanks NCM,
    I've a fair idea of settings it's just they're not working as expected, ( I set up tuners just as you've listed but it was only when I set Tuner A to "Equal to tuner B" and Tuner B is set to Single that I had a signal on both tuners using the loop cable)and I thought the loop cable was necessary but turns out I was incorrect in my assumption but then when I removed it it stop working!!! I'm sure as a group we can figure out this for people using a single feed...Fun and games eh!

trabpc wrote: »

TV 3 working ok?

Any ideas?

It’s due to the changes RTÉ made recently. I think we can say goodbye to both TV3 and RTÉ Players, unfortunately. (Unless someone knows better.)

Thanks NCM,
    I've a fair idea of settings it's just they're not working as expected, ( I set up tuners just as you've listed but it was only when I set Tuner A to "Equal to tuner B" and Tuner B is set to Single that I had a signal on both tuners using the loop cable)and I thought the loop cable was necessary but turns out I was incorrect in my assumption but then when I removed it it stop working!!! I'm sure as a group we can figure out this for people using a single feed...Fun and games eh!

The loop cable is necessary, there is no internal link. The revised settings I gave should work. I set it all up and tested it, some time ago, because a number of posters had asked questions. (I didn’t compare the functionality of using the loop cable, compared to disabling one tuner.)

I had a quick browse through the menus and I think that the updated settings were the settings I used. Did you do a full reboot of the box, after you changed the settings?

Thanks NCM,

The loop cable is necessary, there is no internal link. The settings I gave should work. I set it all up and tested it, because a number of posters had asked questions. I’m pretty certain that those were the settings I used. Did you do a full reboot of the box, after you changed the settings?

The settings that worked for me didn't make sense but it worked. I didn't reboot unfortunately. Anyway box has moved onto its owner now, I've set it up as a single sat tuner and terrestrial, I'm trying to sort a second feed for him, will just make things easier! So loop cable is necessary under certain conditions, so many mixed messages, only way is to try for oneself I suppose! Thanks for your help and the image, much appreciated by the box owner.

Yeah, but I can’t confirm which ones work, off the cuff. There’s lots of posts about this already, which give specific devices. I didn’t buy one myself as I found one hanging around that I got to work.

The settings that worked for me didn't make sense but it worked. I didn't reboot unfortunately. Anyway box has moved onto its owner now, I've set it up as a single sat tuner and terrestrial, I'm trying to sort a second feed for him, will just make things easier! So loop cable is necessary under certain conditions, so many mixed messages, only way is to try for oneself I suppose! Thanks for your help and the image, much appreciated by the box owner.

Hi moolers2000 and everyone.

I only post information on this thread that I have verified, that is set up and tested, for myself. The Tiviar A+ has two separate tuners, not physically connected. The loop cable is provided to allow Tuner A get a signal from Tuner B.

I never intended this as a general discussion thread, only for items directly related to this image. I would ask people providing advice not to post unless:
    • They are using this image
    And/Or
    • They have direct experience of the feature being discussed

(The thread is intended to help people, with minimal technical savvy, install a family friendly setup. Posts of a general nature should be on the main Tiviar A+ thread.)

• Advertisement

Did you get this NCM? Is it just a case of popping it into the back of the box and away you go?

You may need to install a driver, depending on the stick you use.
    The settings that worked for me didn't make sense but it worked. I didn't reboot unfortunately.

I have found that a full restart of the box is required where settings that impact the physical box are changed. Examples include changing some tuner settings, adding an external usb tuner, or changing the settings of the usb tuner. This may not apply in all cases, but I lost a lot of time over this, particularly when setting up the DVB stick.

(I suspect that this is because a reboot of the “GUI”, which is what normally happens, does not restart the underlying Linux Operating System.)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I can now record multiple terrestrial channels, using a DTV dongle, plugged in at the rear. I found a driver for an existing dongle, based on the AF9015 chipset.
    This gives me the flexibility I, and more importantly wifey, needs.

467962.jpg

The driver was listed under package management, under advanced settings. After the driver is installed you need to fully reboot the box, rather than just the GUI application. Also, if the box reboots with the usb tuner plugged out, it will not be recognized until a further reboot with it plugged in.

I also found that a standard scan, even with legacy mode selected, did not pick up any channels. I had to select the correct frequency, which I found from the inbuilt tuner settings, manually.

Where can I find the images that are shown in this picture in the enhanced movie guide. How do these icons get applied and what do the various colours mean?

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »
    Where can I find the images that are shown in this picture in the enhanced movie guide. How do these icons get applied and what do the various colours mean?

The icons get applied automatically.

A star indicates a new recording.
    Red indicates the program is currently being recorded.
    Green indicates it has been watched.
    The progress bar (red or green) shows how much of the program has been recorded or watched.

You access the recordings using the button below the exit button. All the button functions are shown in the first few posts of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just wondering if this could be used to stream terrestrial and satellite channels to a Mac on a local network, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If so, is it easy to set up for this? Idea for a house warming gift for a house that will have not telly for the foreseeable, but has an iMac.

Rural also, so not sure on broadband capacity, toherwise they would just stream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Lu Tze wrote:
    Just wondering if this could be used to stream terrestrial and satellite channels to a Mac on a local network, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

It can indeed and is startlingly easy to do so, thanks to the webif plugin.

It can indeed and is startlingly easy to do so, thanks to the webif plugin.

Cheers, is there a guide to this somewhere I can read through? He was refurbishing an old house and asked if I had any ideas and I stupidly suggested he get network cables put in while he was rewiring. I feel obligated now to get something for him now that will make use of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

to do what you want takes a bit of know how, like everything its easy if you know how. here is my guide, i dont use it very often so no expert.

1. You have to have VLC PLAYER installed in the mac.

2. you use OPEN WEBIF to access box.

3. I use chrome browser and its best.

4. Put IP address of box into browser follwed by :80 and hit return, eg xxx.xxx.xxx:80

5. You should now see openwebif.

report back and i'll tell you next bit

swoofer wrote: »
    to do what you want takes a bit of know how, like everything its easy if you know how. here is my guide, i dont use it very often so no expert.

1. You have to have VLC PLAYER installed in the mac.

2. you use OPEN WEBIF to access box.

3. I use chrome browser and its best.

4. Put IP address of box into browser follwed by :80 and hit return, eg xxx.xxx.xxx:80

5. You should now see openwebif.

report back and i'll tell you next bit
    Cheers, I haven't bought anything yet - going down next week to see his place. So long as it is useable without any major hands on (as i wont be there) it should be grand.

I can do most of the setup in my place before bringing it down hopefully (unless switching to another network is a major issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

here is a little update, i have a macbook pro and I have just used safari browser to open webif and its a doddle, a lot easier than chrome. can you try open webif where you are and see how u get on?

NB with the safari browser you dont need VLC player and its a mouse click, easier for you to teach as well.

have you got safari?

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    here is a little update, i have a macbook pro and I have just used safari browser to open webif and its a doddle, a lot easier than chrome. can you try open webif where you are and see how u get on?

NB with the safari browser you dont need VLC player and its a mouse click, easier for you to teach as well.

have you got safari?

Cheers, I still have to buy it! I'll go down the weekend first and see the setup, he may need a switch and a few other things.

Advertisement