Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

What is the purpose of the LNB out on the box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

First off NewClareman thank you for all the help to others and myself you have given, it was as a result of this thread that I bought the box and flashed your imagine.

Now that the ass kissing is done 😁 I'm hoping someone can help.

I bought the tiviara plus box recommend here with a 500gb hd to get me started. I flashed newclareman's image and all went well

Except

I can't seem to pause live TV, I can record no problem but anytime I press pause on remote I just get a gray X in top left corner.

I have the two cables going from lnb to box and as I said I can record one problem (bbc1) and watch another (itv) so I'm assuming the box tuners are both been used.

In my setup menu I have the settings set that tuner b is the same as tuner a (should I change that and have each tuner work independently).

Also why is the timeshift folder filling so quickly, it used nearly the full 500gb in about 3 week?

Thanks all

Omega42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

How do SSDs fare up instead of spinners in the box?
    Any reason to go magnetic versus solid state?

*EDIT* Other than price of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Roen wrote: »
    How do SSDs fare up instead of spinners in the box?
    Any reason to go magnetic versus solid state?

*EDIT* Other than price of course.

SSDs have limited writes and therefore are not the best for recordings. It'll work alright, how long for I have no idea. I see no advantage of SSD over spinners in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've used SSDs for years without issue. Prices are coming down now and getting very competitive. My initial reason for going SSD was for use in a bedroom box. Total silence if recording during the night. I wouldn't recommend an SSD if you use time-shifting which is constantly writing-rewriting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

omega42 wrote: »

I can't seem to pause live TV, I can record no problem but anytime I press pause on remote I just get a gray X in top left corner.

Also why is the timeshift folder filling so quickly, it used nearly the full 500gb in about 3 week?

Omega42

I suspect that auto record is enabled, causing everything to be kept. That was a problem with an early image, I’ve no idea why it should be activated with the latest.

Go into setup (password 0000), Recordings and Timeshift, Timeshift Settings, and look at third entry - enable auto record. It should be set to no.

If set to yes it fills up your hard drive, leaving no space for recordings or to pause live tv. Let us know how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I see folks here saying about having two cable feeds for the box.
    I have an old Sky dish on the house, will the one cable from it be enough for this setup or will I need an extra dish?
    TIA

Once the dish is in ok condition you can use the dish but you will need to replace the LNB at the front something like this https://www.freetv.ie/universal-twin-lnb/ then run two cables from it to the box.

Once the dish is in ok condition you can use the dish but you will need to replace the LNB at the front something like this https://www.freetv.ie/universal-twin-lnb/ then run two cables from it to the box.

Well he could, but why use a legacy lnb, that requires 2 cables???

If you use this, with this, you can reuse your existing single cable, and dish. (Providing the Sky dish is a mark 4 one. It’s a far better solution and you can even add on more fta receivers to that one cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Right, I'm back again!

Couple of issues.
    1. I can't seem to copy the picon folder across. I can go to the correct folder root/media/hdd but it keeps giving an unexpected error when copying with windows explorer.

2. Grabbed the IP address, and can open the channel list, but VLC won't stream the file.

These may be related

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Right, I'm back again!

Couple of issues.
    1. I can't seem to copy the picon folder across. I can go to the correct folder root/media/hdd but it keeps giving an unexpected error when copying with windows explorer.

2. Grabbed the IP address, and can open the channel list, but VLC won't stream the file.

These may be related

1 it's /media/hdd

2 is it m3u? VLC should open m3u files

1 it's /media/hdd

2 is it m3u? VLC should open m3u files

When i go into the tiviar it has two base folders, the /media/hdd is contained in the root folder
    474673.PNG

The file extension is .m3u8, i have attached the error also
    474674.PNG

When i go into the tiviar it has two base folders, the /media/hdd is contained in the root folder

You're using Windows, I've no idea how Windows mounts the directories. On the box itself Linux never mounts storage in /root. I only use FileZilla and terminal to access mine

i formatted the drive to NTFS before flashing, would this be an issue?

i formatted the drive to NTFS before flashing, would this be an issue?

Doubtful, the box would still mount it in /media/usb.

Worth trying to flash it again?

Worth trying to flash it again?

/media/hdd would be the internal drive. You need to initialise this with the box so it's formatted in ext3

If it's an external usb drive it would be mounted as /media/usb, this can be left as NTFS if it's just for picons

/media/hdd would be the internal drive. You need to initialise this with the box so it's formatted in ext3

If it's an external usb drive it would be mounted as /media/usb, this can be left as NTFS if it's just for picons

Its internal. I'll have look when I get home, presumably it's in the system settings to initialise it

Blue button -> hard disk -> initialization

Blue button -> hard disk -> initialization

Cheers for the help, I'm completely lost, this seems to be bringing me rebuild the movie database.

On the streaming side, bbc1 NI HD is working, but nothing else will that I try, tried about 11 channels before going back to BBC1, which still worked fine

• Advertisement

Cheers for the help, I'm completely lost, this seems to be bringing me rebuild the movie database.

I've no idea, NCM modified the image and changed all the default functions so I can't advise

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smass78

Just unwrapped my new tiviar box this evening after reading several of your posts here Gerry. Finally took the plunge and replaced sky!

Never used linux before so that was my only qualm going for the box but reckoned it would be grand.

The box loaded up fine and looks pretty slick but definitely needs a lot of tweaking re channel positions etc. Waiting for my aerial man to come to install aerial to pick up saorview.

Decided I'd plough on with installing enigma2 and other files which you kindly put together. Followed the instructions however all I'm getting is the run aplha+ on the front.

Slightly panicking I may have corrupted or bricked it which I now realise you can do after reading other posts. Naturally I didn't back anything up as didn't think there was anything to back up seeing as I just bought it and hadn't made any changes.

Tried reflashing but only get booting for a second and it goes to run alpha and no picture.

Is it likely I bricked it or is there any other hard reset I can do?

Ta

Its internal. I'll have look when I get home, presumably it's in the system settings to initialise it

You need to navigate using menu - setup (password 0000) - System. I’m not sure where you go from there, as I’m nowhere near the box. However there is a setting there somewhere to initialize the HDD.

In terms of using windows, see what happens when you right click on the TiviarAlphaPlus. From memory, it may give you the option to login. If it does the credentials are in one of the first posts.

smass78 wrote: »
    Just unwrapped my new tiviar box this evening after reading several of your posts here Gerry. Finally took the plunge and replaced sky!

Never used linux before so that was my only qualm going for the box but reckoned it would be grand.

The box loaded up fine and looks pretty slick but definitely needs a lot of tweaking re channel positions etc. Waiting for my aerial man to come to install aerial to pick up saorview.

Decided I'd plough on with installing enigma2 and other files which you kindly put together. Followed the instructions however all I'm getting is the run aplha+ on the front.

Slightly panicking I may have corrupted or bricked it which I now realise you can do after reading other posts. Naturally I didn't back anything up as didn't think there was anything to back up seeing as I just bought it and hadn't made any changes.

Tried reflashing but only get booting for a second and it goes to run alpha and no picture.

Is it likely I bricked it or is there any other hard reset I can do?

Ta

If it is running Alphaplus it is not bricked. If you are using my image, see early posts, the channels are all set up automatically. All you have to do is input the local transmitter details correctly in ABM, as described a few posts back. The box automatically updates channels, from then on.

Try using a different usb stick, when reflashing. Also make sure you have nothing else plugged in to any USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smass78

Thanks a million. I was deleting the first file from usb before adding the most up-to-date one. Working again and have to say that looks far better now than what it came installed with.

Sky will always be hard to beat but this looks pretty neat. Cheers. Need to get used to linux now and figure out how to utilise your other pics etc.

Great job.

Hey,

how does people access their recordings? after recording something I would go into the movie player (play list on the Remote) but it always shows a blank folder and I cant navigate away from it to go into a different folder. I have to reboot the box in order to access the recording which is a bit of a pain. Hoping somebody here can shed a bit of light on it for me

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

Hey,

how does people access their recordings? after recording something I would go into the movie player (play list on the Remote) but it always shows a blank folder and I cant navigate away from it to go into a different folder. I have to reboot the box in order to access the recording which is a bit of a pain. Hoping somebody here can shed a bit of light on it for me

Thanks

On the remote there is a button halfway up and on the right Play List and it should bring up your recordings, then use the arrow keys to scroll to your required recording and hit OK or the button with the play icon on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

Hi

I know this is the Satellite section but I had a subscription for Canal + on 13e working in my Tiviar that expired last week.

I tried to renew with my provider but they are saying they no longer prolong the subscription for the card I have. They say I need to get a new decoder / cam module and card.

Has anyone managed to get the Tiviar working with the new NC+ card ?
    If yes, who was the supplier and did you need a CAM module ?

Appreciate the help.

You need to navigate using menu - setup (password 0000) - System. I’m not sure where you go from there, as I’m nowhere near the box. However there is a setting there somewhere to initialize the HDD.

In terms of using windows, see what happens when you right click on the TiviarAlphaPlus. From memory, it may give you the option to login. If it does the credentials are in one of the first posts.
    I think I have bricked it. Couldn't find the initialise hard drive options, so decided to reset to factory settings to see if that would help. It's stuck on a boot loop now.

Just stuck in the usb to see if I could flash it again, but it goes straight into the boot loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

My box started to give recording issues this week. Wouldn't set autotimers. Kept saying there was conflicts even though there was none. i Even deleted timers I knew were working to see if I could re set them but no luck. Switced box off and again would not boot. "Run Apha Plus" Grrr

Advertisement