Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

Hi
    Is this box still available anywhere? I tried world of satellite and they have it out of stock and linking to a zgemma HS7. FreeTv.ie have the remotes but no box.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

intro wrote: »
    Hi
    Is this box still available anywhere? I tried world of satellite and they have it out of stock and linking to a zgemma HS7. FreeTv.ie have the remotes but no box.
    Thanks.

http://www.satworld.ie/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo.html

literally the first hit on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mehico

Using NewClareman's latest backup, I added some channels to the Main TV Stations Bouquet and once there, changed the channel order.

This worked but after I ran a scan in ABM, the channels I added are no longer visible in this bouquet, is there a way to save the channels after adding to bouquets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

mehico wrote: »
    Using NewClareman's latest backup, I added some channels to the Main TV Stations Bouquet and once there, changed the channel order.

This worked but after I ran a scan in ABM, the channels I added are no longer visible in this bouquet, is there a way to save the channels after adding to bouquets?

You have to edit the ABM files. If you go back through the posts, there’s a reference posted somewhere - that’s what I used. Sorry I can’t be more helpful, but up to my okters at the minute.��

By the way, new/changed channels are added correctly to the appropriate Bouquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I think I have bricked it. Couldn't find the initialise hard drive options, so decided to reset to factory settings to see if that would help. It's stuck on a boot loop now.

Just stuck in the usb to see if I could flash it again, but it goes straight into the boot loop.

Can anyone confirm if this unrecoverable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I think I have bricked it. Couldn't find the initialise hard drive options, so decided to reset to factory settings to see if that would help. It's stuck on a boot loop now.

Just stuck in the usb to see if I could flash it again, but it goes straight into the boot loop.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I got caught in a boot loop when setting up my new box, thought I had bricked it for sure....

I had to (believe it or not!) use the HP formatting tool to format the USB stick (and one I used to set up original box - so I knew it worked??!)

Then I put the latest openvix image onto it (I want to use openatv, but read on a forum that in this situation you need to load openvix first! Colour me skeptical, however....

The openvix image loaded perfectly, and once that was in place I could flash the openatv image onto the box with no hassle.

Can anyone confirm if this unrecoverable?

It should be fully recoverable. I got stuck in a boot loop when an update got interrupted p, using WiFi. A reflash solved the problem. You can reflash whatever version you want - I refkashec an OpenATV backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Barr

Barr wrote: »
    What is the purpose of the LNB out on the box ?

Quoting myself here :pac:

Reason I'm asking , would it be possible to connect a sky box using the LNB out on the Tiviar to the LNB in on the older type sky boxes ?

Quoting myself here :pac:

Reason I'm asking , would it be possible to connect a sky box using the LNB out on the Tiviar to the LNB in on the older type sky boxes ?

It is possible to do this but only around a quarter of the fta channels will be available on the Sky box. What set of channels that is will depend on what is being viewed on the Tiviar Alphaplus, at a given time. In most cases it’s not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Barr

It is possible to do this but only around a quarter of the fta channels will be available on the Sky box. What set of channels that is will depend on what is being viewed on the Tiviar Alphaplus, at a given time. In most cases it’s not worth the effort.

Doesn't sound worth the hassle , I might just get another another another LNB put in and keep it totally separate.

Trouble is , I recently got a quad LNB installed , I'll need to replace it with one that comes with 6 :o

• Advertisement

Doesn't sound worth the hassle , I might just get another another another LNB put in and keep it totally separate.

Trouble is , I recently got a quad LNB installed , I'll need to replace it with one that comes with 6 :o

Personally I would get a Unicable LNB, with a least two legacy outputs. This gives you the best of all worlds. Most modern boxes, even the Tiviar which is somewhat dated, work with Unicable which only requires one cable. The various options are already described, if you search on this, or the main Tiviar thread. (I forget which!)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

Hi,

Sorry to ask again but did anyone manage to get a Cam module working in the Tiviar on OpenATV ?

Thanks in advance.
    doogb wrote: »
    Hi

I know this is the Satellite section but I had a subscription for Canal + on 13e working in my Tiviar that expired last week.

I tried to renew with my provider but they are saying they no longer prolong the subscription for the card I have. They say I need to get a new decoder / cam module and card.

Has anyone managed to get the Tiviar working with the new NC+ card ?
    If yes, who was the supplier and did you need a CAM module ?

Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You might be better off asking on the foreign satellite forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Sorry for the noob questions here:-

What is the average cost for one of these systems if I'm coming from nothing? (which I would be)
    I had Sky for years (have Eir at the moment - its ok) - is there much ongoing maintenance on a system such as this? I'm reading posts above querying loss of channels and recordings etc.

Or, are there any 'off the shelf' options worth considering?

Thanks for any helpful guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Diceicle wrote: »
    Sorry for the noob questions here:-

What is the average cost for one of these systems if I'm coming from nothing? (which I would be)
    I had Sky for years (have Eir at the moment - its ok) - is there much ongoing maintenance on a system such as this? I'm reading posts above querying loss of channels and recordings etc.

Or, are there any 'off the shelf' options worth considering?

Thanks for any helpful guidance.

The box is ~€100, add a hard drive another €40-50. Then you need 2x feeds from a dish and a terrestrial aerial if you don't already have them.

The box when properly configured is pretty much maintenance free, it scans itself to keep channels up to date

The box is ~€100, add a hard drive another €40-50. Then you need 2x feeds from a dish and a terrestrial aerial if you don't already have them.

The box when properly configured is pretty much maintenance free, it scans itself to keep channels up to date

If you dont have an existing satellite feed, a better option is to use a Unicable LNB, which is more future proof, and requires only one cable to be run from the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Had a power cut and when box restarted it showed booting, then gets stuck on Run Alpha+
    Does anyone know the fix?

Reflashed the image, working Ok again.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mehico

On this image there is a bouquet called Main Radio Channels. Is it possible to edit this bouquet to add some other channels available on freesat and to remove unwanted channels?

mehico wrote: »
    On this image there is a bouquet called Main Radio Channels. Is it possible to edit this bouquet to add some other channels available on freesat and to remove unwanted channels?

Hi, there is no easy way to edit this, at least that I am aware of. I created the list so that I could keep an eye on the tv in PIP, while listening to the radio. It was also more wifey friendly.

There is a separate radio listing when you press the radio tv button (twice). If you then hit the favorite (blue) button twice, you have Bouquets for the main Irish and U.K. Channels. You have three additional bouquets, which are all the currently available radio channels on either Freesat or Sky, which auto update.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

How can recorded programmes be accessed?

I have tried the 'Play List' button on the remote but this only shows a blank page with no recordings at all.

I know the programs have recorded as I can watch them using Openwebif to start them. I think I'm missing something obvious here!

Thanks for all the hard work on this build. It's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

In theory, all bouquets should automatically update if a channel changes frequency. All bouquets, other than the first (Main TV Channels) and the final one for radio channels; should also update automatically, if channels are added, moved or renamed.

Hi NewClareman I had been using a version from shoot November and finally got around to putting on the latest version you had so that it would grab channel changes etc.
    Added all the channels I wanted into "Main TV Channels" using OpenWebIF but this morning they are all gone. Thought that bouquet would not change?

Thanks again for the time making the image. I'm sure it's something daft I'm doing

Cheers

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

redgerry wrote: »
    How can recorded programmes be accessed?

I have tried the 'Play List' button on the remote but this only shows a blank page with no recordings at all.

I know the programs have recorded as I can watch them using Openwebif to start them. I think I'm missing something obvious here!

Thanks for all the hard work on this build. It's great.

Never mind I have worked it out. Cheers.

redgerry wrote: »
    Never mind I have worked it out. Cheers.

Hi, sorry for not getting back, I've very little free time, at the moment.
    What did you do, in case it might help someone else?

gar wrote: »
    Hi NewClareman I had been using a version from shoot November and finally got around to putting on the latest version you had so that it would grab channel changes etc.
    Added all the channels I wanted into "Main TV Channels" using OpenWebIF but this morning they are all gone. Thought that bouquet would not change?

Thanks again for the time making the image. I'm sure it's something daft I'm doing

Cheers

Gar

There is a setting in ABM, to select bouquets that should not be overwritten. I suspect you have changed that. 🙂

There is a setting in ABM, to select bouquets that should not be overwritten. I suspect you have changed that. ��

Weird i dont think i changed anything. Only thing i changed was the saorview transmitter.
    Attached pics of the settings...

Weird i dont think i changed anything. Only thing i changed was the saorview transmitter.
    Attached pics of the settings...

for anyone interested i ended up editing the sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml found in /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/AutoBouquets/custom

Was time consuming but straight forward enough once i figured out how to put all the channels in i wanted.

Will be very handy now when frequencies change. Cheers again newclareman.

for anyone interested i ended up editing the sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml found in /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/AutoBouquets/custom

Was time consuming but straight forward enough once i figured out how to put all the channels in i wanted.

Will be very handy now when frequencies change. Cheers again newclareman.

Yeah, I forgot that I had changed the Main Tv Channels, to be a custom mix file. That was why the OpenWebIF changes were being overwritten. The advantages of this approach is that frequency changes are automatically catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

I've a strange one that somebody might know. I'm using the image from earlier in the thread with great success.
    My problem is in the last week my box and TV turn on in the middle of the night and wake the house. Dont know why. I'm wondering did my 2 year press a menu on the remote somewhere.
    I cant find what. Wether it me the box it the LG smart TV causing it.
    Driving me crazy. Not to mention frightened the sh one t of me the first night. Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Milsey wrote: »
    I've a strange one that somebody might know. I'm using the image from earlier in the thread with great success.
    My problem is in the last week my box and TV turn on in the middle of the night and wake the house. Dont know why. I'm wondering did my 2 year press a menu on the remote somewhere.
    I cant find what. Wether it me the box it the LG smart TV causing it.
    Driving me crazy. Not to mention frightened the sh one t of me the first night. Cheers in advance.

Wouldn't worry about, id say the box is fine, properly just some kind of poltergeist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about, id say the box is fine, properly just some kind of poltergeist.

Phew.

Advertisement