Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

My understanding is that the EIT is "live" directly from the broadcaster so it can accommodate last minute changes unlike the Freesat or Sky DBs. I found on several occasions the box adjusted the timer finish time of late running BBC shows, even though the main EPG didn't change. The EIT inf is used for the banner at the bottom of the screen when you tune in a channel but doesn't overwrite the DB.
    Sadly, not all broadcasters use this function.

Fair enough, that would make sense. On a quick test, what I found was:

1. The Saorview EPG only loaded with the EIT EPG enabled.

2. The banner used stored EPG information when EIT was disabled or not available for that channel.

Any idea why the Enigma2 guys can’t/don’t grab the series link info fro either Sky or Freesat? (Seeing’s the grab the EPG data. The autotimer is just that bit technical for the o.h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Short answer - Yes you can.
    (To get the same as before, you also need to remove the Sky CustomMix.)

Long answer...

The previous version used a mix of Sky and Freesat bouquets. I did this as it was more straightforward, but it really messed up the web interface, for anyone using this to view channels.

This version uses only Sky bouquets, with non-Sky channels added, when appropriate. What I did was port my sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml file and change it to the Sky equivalent. I would suggest you do the same - all you have to do is bring the changes you made across and leave the other changes I made, e.g. +1 inserts, unchanged.

Cheers, it'll be next month before I get a chance to experiment. Don't want and unexpected change that I get grief about ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

...... The autotimer is just that bit technical for the o.h.

I've seen a few people saying this about autotimer. Frankly I'm baffled as to where the problem is. 99% of the time the defaults suit. Simply select the show in the EPG, hit autotimer, hit OK and away you go. The only confusion I can think of is if a show is on several nights per week. In that case you simply untick "only on ...day"

That said, with a little bit of thought, it can be an immensely powerful tool too. An example I used in the past was "Great British Bake Off" on CH4. Using "Bake Off" as a partial match included the "Bake Off Extra Bits" show as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mehico

Was trying to install NewClareman's latest build but not working for me. On the previous version there was a file called noforce located in the install folder but this is not on the newest build. Is this file needed to install latest version?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks Mehico. That latest build wasn't working for me either (not prompted with PressPWR at startup). Adding a 'noforce' file from previous build solved the problem.

NewClareman - Thanks for that build and for all your efforts. One thing, the link on your post on page 42 seems to be broken ("...Configure your local terrestrial transmitter, see this post for details..."). Is that supposed to point to this post? When I've tried to set up terrestrial channels in the past, I always end up overwriting/messing up all of the FreeSat channels too. Hopefully, this time it will work better for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

That latest build still won't flash for me. I'm getting the flash started ok but it keeps getting stuck on F-rootfs. The light on the USB flashes for a few minutes (i.e. it's doing something), then it goes out and hangs there for 20 minutes+ (until I give up and try again).

I was using bootice to format the USB drive, then teracopy to copy the files across. Tried multiple USB devices and methods for formatting/copying. I also tried downloading the zip file from Google Drive again. Same result every time.

I've retried using your previous build (4th Jan) and it works fine. Would like to get the latest build because it seems you've solved some problems with channels and
    bouquets getting messed up.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi Guys,

I don’t know what went wrong with that image. I’m away at the moment but I’ll cut a new one, early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi Folks,
    This looks really interesting. 
    Is the Tiviar still the best bet in terms of a good quality, high performance device? It's around €149 online, is that decent bang for your buck these days? 
    Also, the OP mentions 3player, has this been replaced with VM Player? Apologies for the noobie questions :P

Hi Guys,

I don’t know what went wrong with that image. I’m away at the moment but I’ll cut a new one, early next week.

I cannot make a successful backup, of my current image, either to hard disk or usb. I don’t have time at the moment to set up again from scratch, sorry. My previous image is still online.

breeno wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    This looks really interesting. 
    Is the Tiviar still the best bet in terms of a good quality, high performance device? It's around €149 online, is that decent bang for your buck these days? 
    Also, the OP mentions 3player, has this been replaced with VM Player? Apologies for the noobie questions :P

It is still good value, particularly if you want to use this image, or the THHB one.

The Irish tv players no longer work, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

My previous image is still online.

Is there any chance that you can post a link to this, rather than scroll back a lot of pages.
    many Thanks NewClareman

-Pacman

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

With the Tiviar is there any way to split the output from the box to run 2 or even 3 tvs off it? Or do you need a box for each tv? Would only be interested in recording from one tv and just watching on the others.

PacMan wrote: »
    Is there any chance that you can post a link to this, rather than scroll back a lot of pages.
    many Thanks NewClareman

-Pacman

The link is in the first post, see under latest build.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Muahahaha wrote: »
    With the Tiviar is there any way to split the output from the box to run 2 or even 3 tvs off it? Or do you need a box for each tv? Would only be interested in recording from one tv and just watching on the others.

You could use a HDMI splitter something like
    Splitter and then use something like timote for android to control the channels.

Another option would be a few cheap android boxes and using timote again you could stream to the tv. (this option would allow to different channels to be watched at the same time.

timote casted to chromecast either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hope its ok asking here:-

I got the Tiviar installed and have a Sky-like interface with Saorview and Freesat - the box would indicate I can install apps on the box (youtube, Plex etc?) I was tinkering with the remote earlier and found a plugins section (though I've not connected the TV to the network yet) am I on the right track?

I had hoped to post a final image, as promised. Spent most of today trying to get my OpenATV 6.3 image stable. It was crashing about once a day. Anyway, traced the issue to ABM crashing when it tried to update from Tuner B. It cannot get a signal.

I did all the usual checks, it is not a sat feed/LNB issue. Unless someone can point me in the direction of a firmware setting, it looks like the tuner module is shot. (The Tuner is now disabled, but was configured the same as Tuner A, and had been working correctly.) Unless I can source a replacement module, I’m afraid that will be the end of the road, with this box. Sorry...

Diceicle wrote: »
    Hope its ok asking here:-

I got the Tiviar installed and have a Sky-like interface with Saorview and Freesat - the box would indicate I can install apps on the box (youtube, Plex etc?) I was tinkering with the remote earlier and found a plugins section (though I've not connected the TV to the network yet) am I on the right track?

Yes, you are on the right track. However, if you have a specific query you should ask on this thread, as this is not an area I’m familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Hey, very new to this, so forgive me for a silly question!

Got a quote of 450e for installation and tv box for one point giving me satellite and a digital aerial for Free to Air satellite TV (Saorview and a heap of English stations). 150 for every TV point after that.

Was thinking of getting two tvs set up in a new house, so it would be 600 altogether.

Is this good value? Or should i shop around some more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

tigger123 wrote: »

Got a quote of 450e for installation and tv box for one point giving me satellite and a digital aerial for Free to Air satellite TV (Saorview and a heap of English stations). 150 for every TV point after that.

Was thinking of getting two tvs set up in a new house, so it would be 600 altogether.

If it includes a dish and external antenna and Tiviar(s) configured with a proper image and internal storage drive then yes it is great value. Ask for a detailed list of exactly what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

tigger123 wrote: »

I paid 285 with new dish for Tiviar box with Sky-like interface Saorview aerial and Freesat channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Has anyone else had to return a box to world of Satellite, if so, who did you return it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭limktime

Food Network has gone missing for me in Entertainment. Anyone else have the same problem? The +1 is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

limktime wrote: »
    Food Network has gone missing for me in Entertainment. Anyone else have the same problem? The +1 is there.

This has happened to me too.

redgerry wrote: »
    This has happened to me too.

The Bouquets are generated automatically by ABM, each night. It appears that that channel is removed, for whatever reason.

If you go into the settings on ABM you can set it to create all the Freesat and Sky channel groups. One of those I have excluded might have what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know when you cancel a Sky sub these days do they come back out and take the satelltite away? I know they didnt years back but have things changed?

Anyone know when you cancel a Sky sub these days do they come back out and take the satelltite away? I know they didnt years back but have things changed?

If you have Sky Q you have to return the equipment, I’m not sure how. With older equipment you own it, once your initial contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

You get to keep the dish but if its the sky q equipment they send you a postage paid box to send back the modem and any boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

Just wondering is this compatible with the Edison OS Mega box or just Tiviar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

omega42 wrote: »
    You get to keep the dish but if its the sky q equipment they send you a postage paid box to send back the modem and any boxes

One thing to remember is the LNB is different for Sky Q. In order to use the dish for free sat you would need to replace the LNB with and hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭McBain11

Lads an error keeps popping up on the tv. 'creating hardlink to timeshift file failed. The file system on your timeshift device does not support hardlinks. Make sure it is formatted EXt2, Ext3, Ext4. Errno 5 input/output'

Anyone seen this before. Just want to permanently remove it

Advertisement