Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

McBain11 wrote: »
    Lads an error keeps popping up on the tv. 'creating hardlink to timeshift file failed. The file system on your timeshift device does not support hardlinks. Make sure it is formatted EXt2, Ext3, Ext4. Errno 5 input/output'

Anyone seen this before. Just want to permanently remove it

Haven’t come across this, sorry.

Try restoring a backup, or a previous image.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would suggest a filesystem check on the partitions of the HDD.

I would suggest a filesystem check on the partitions of the HDD.

Should have thought of that, must be slipping 😳

I have just uploaded what I expect to be the final version of this custom build, see link in the first post. As always, all credit goes to the team who build the core enigma2 software, those who built the various plugins and THHB whose work introduced me to this box.

The main changes are as follows:
    • It includes a Picon downloader, to avoid the need to transfer Picons manually.
    • The program groups (Bouquets) have been changed to follow the Sky groups, as closely as possible. This is to minimise the risk of future channel changes, terrestrial or satellite, breaking anything. The list of main channels is still the same and the Irish terrestrial channels have also been added to the appropriate Sky groups.
    • Various minor tweaks to improve usability

To setup this version:

Flash the uploaded image, see the details below.
    Configure your local terrestrial transmitter, using ABM.
    (Note: If your local Saorview details change, you will need to update the provider files.)

Optional setup steps, for additional features:
    Setup WiFi Details (Menu-Blue Button-Setup-0000-System-Network-Device Setup-Network wizard)
    Download Picons (Menu-Blue Button-Plugins-0000-Dsayers_Picon_updater-SNP-Picon_Updater.
    Update Movie Database (If using films stored on an external HDD) -Blue Button and follow prompts.
    Configure music Database (if storing music on an external HDD0 - Yellow button - menu - set music path.

490039.jpg

490040.jpg

490041.jpg

The image is now based on OpenATV 6.2, as I had ongoing stability issues with v6.3, which I believe were due to CrossEPG and ABM. I couldn't get this image to load from usb. Instead I had to load it to TIVIARAPLUS-Harddisk-images.
    If using windows you can do this using simple drag and drop.

490042.jpg

490043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm thinking of updating my old openbox to this one. Just a quick question would be if it can install Android type apps for iptv etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm thinking of updating my old openbox to this one. Just a quick question would be if it can install Android type apps for iptv etc?

There is a wide range of "plugins" available to install for free including for iptv. If memory serves the IPTV player plugin is installed by default.

endainoz wrote: »

With this build you do get the IPTV Plug-in, but not support for pay tv. This can be added, but is not something I support, or have any interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I hope I am not over-stepping ......

I am delighted to read that your mother likes the box/setup in preference to the Triax.
    It really puts the lie in what I regularly read on technical fora that these things are not suitable for 'the elderly' (no insult intended to your mother).

I hope I will not only see that age but also be capable of handling changes and new devices when the time comes.

Great result :D

I know its an old post, my mother had a bit of an accident and is confined to the bed. The receiver is downstairs, is there a way to view it via a firestick/chromecast? She has TV in room with HDMI, she has smartphone, but screen is to small to watch using openwebif?

Johnboy1951..none taken.....she is not great on her feet, but her brain is still very sharp.

Any help or guidance on this much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mylow wrote: »
    I know its an old post, my mother had a bit of an accident and is confined to the bed. The receiver is downstairs, is there a way to view it via a firestick/chromecast? She has TV in room with HDMI, she has smartphone, but screen is to small to watch using openwebif?

Johnboy1951..none taken.....she is not great on her feet, but her brain is still very sharp.

Any help or guidance on this much appreciated.

Very easy. Just install the dream player app and use your openwebif details. It supports Chromecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Barr

What settings do ye use to get the best picture . Mine is defaulted to Automatic Resolution “ disabled”

When I stroll through there are options like “simple” “all resolutions “only hd” “ native”

Under these options there is a myriad of other settings for picture.

Should I leave it at the default for the best picture or play around with the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

Does the e2iplayer rte player extensions work on this build anymore?

Barr wrote: »
    What settings do ye use to get the best picture . Mine is defaulted to Automatic Resolution “ disabled”

When I stroll through there are options like “simple” “all resolutions “only hd” “ native”

Under these options there is a myriad of other settings for picture.

Should I leave it at the default for the best picture or play around with the others.

I have set it to 1080p so that the Tiviar upscales all content to HD. I found that this worked best with my tv.
    My recommendation would be to leave it as is, if you’re happy with the picture. What works best for you really depends on your tv, and how you configure it. There is no simple answer, and there is no harm in experimenting. However, there are so many options with modern TVs that it can drive you batty, without proper test equipment.

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Does the e2iplayer rte player extensions work on this build anymore?

No it doesn’t- I doubt it works on any build in its current format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yep will agree dont have tvs stretching the image and leave it disabled and boxes are usually setup correctly then.

Pity about rte player as many may have liked it but long gone now.

Considering they cant even get it working reliably on official devices, its a miracle when it does work elsewhere.

Considering they cant even get it working reliably on official devices, its a miracle when it does work elsewhere.

Exactly, I’m still sore that it won’t work on my lg tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Hi NewClareman
    I have updated to your latest version but I have 2 problems, the main one is that the EPG is only showing current events.How do I change it to show the timeline like your jpg in your posting.
    I have looked for a setting in "settings2 and crossepg setup but can't find what I'm looking for.
    2nd problem is that the box is coming on during the night and staying on,I think this is to do with updating the EPG but not turning off.Any help would be appreciated

Where is your epg been stored to i would be checking and is it setup correctly,maybe providers need updating also.

phil49 wrote: »
    Hi NewClareman
    I have updated to your latest version but I have 2 problems, the main one is that the EPG is only showing current events.How do I change it to show the timeline like your jpg in your posting.
    I have looked for a setting in "settings2 and crossepg setup but can't find what I'm looking for.
    2nd problem is that the box is coming on during the night and staying on,I think this is to do with updating the EPG but not turning off.Any help would be appreciated

I suspect the issue is that ABM isn’t set up correctly- this could cause both problems. Go through the steps in my post on setting up your local transmitter, and see how you get on.

Are you sure you’re using the correct EPG button, marked EPG at the Centre of the remote? I get current events when I hit the down arrow, which is immediately above the EPG button.

There does appear to be an issue with the EPG. I am just back from a few days away and the Tiviar was powered on and the EPG was only populated for the terrestrial channels. Running CrossEPG manually repopulated it. I have disabled the Freesat EPG, to see if this is causing the issue.

Hi NewClareman
    Yes I have setup my local transmitter in abm three rock Dublin,I am happy that I am getting the epg for all channels. It is just the epg display,it is showing the channels on left half of screen of current event and pip of channel on other half with program info.What I would like is the display on your jpg showing timeline across the full screen with the smaller pip

• Advertisement

Hi NewClareman
    Yes I have setup my local transmitter in abm three rock Dublin,I am happy that I am getting the epg for all channels. It is just the epg display,it is showing the channels on left half of screen of current event and pip of channel on other half with program info.What I would like is the display on your jpg showing timeline across the full screen with the smaller pip

I don’t know what is causing that, tbh. Mine is working as per the jpg, and I’m using a restore from the backup I posted. Maybe someone else has an idea. (There are so many different parameters, you might be best just reapplying my backup.) sorry ☹️

Hi NewClareman

That sounds like you are using the wrong button for the EPG. I can't say for certain which is which on NewClareMans image. On my setup if you hit OK it brings up the current now/next info across the bottom of the screen. Hitting OK a 2nd time opens a larger panel with all details of current show and PIP on LHS.

491310.png

That sounds like you are using the wrong button for the EPG. I can't say for certain which is which on NewClareMans image. On my setup if you hit OK it brings up the current now/next info across the bottom of the screen. Hitting OK a 2nd time opens a larger panel with all details of current show and PIP on LHS.

I suggested the same, in an earlier post. The standard EPG button should bring up the timeline. I can find no combination of buttons that gives the EPG he describes.

(I use OK the same way as you, without the PIP.)

When in the main EPG it is possible to switch to different views (with PIP, without PIP, large text, etc) but not that one with the big panel. AFAIK. On mine it is the yellow button but that is probably skin dependent.

When in the main EPG it is possible to switch to different views (with PIP, without PIP, large text, etc) but not that one with the big panel. AFAIK. On mine it is the yellow button but that is probably skin dependent.

With the Metrix Skin, the colored buttons are configured in settings. In my case the buttons are used for timers/auto timers/EPG Search/Bouquet List. I cannot find any way of getting PIP, on the screen with the big panel, even by remapping the colored keys.

I have come across a situation previously where I changed settings under a different skin, that were then inaccessible with the Metrix skin. That’s why I suggested a reinstall might be the best approach. There’s just too many variables to try and diagnose this.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm sorted,this is how it works for me.
    When I press FAV button it brings all bouquets. Select which one I want then press ok and I get current events.
    When I long press EPG button I get a list of options and I can get epg timeline this way.
    Thanks again for all your help

One other problem I seem to be having since I updated the firmware is that I cant see the box now on my network,I was able to see it before and transfer files to it.
    I can connect to it on webif and dreamboxedit.
    I can see the relevant ethernet port for the box lit on my router but cannot see it on file explorer.
    I ran troubleshooter and I get "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection detected"
    "the device (tiviaraplus) is not setup to accept connections on port"
    Any advice on how to fix this problem

One other problem I seem to be having since I updated the firmware is that I cant see the box now on my network,I was able to see it before and transfer files to it.
    I can connect to it on webif and dreamboxedit.
    I can see the relevant ethernet port for the box lit on my router but cannot see it on file explorer.
    I ran troubleshooter and I get "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection detected"
    "the device (tiviaraplus) is not setup to accept connections on port"
    Any advice on how to fix this problem

If you can connect on Webif, the most likely problem is that Samba has stopped. There is a setting under network where you can view its status and restart it, if necessary. You should also check that auto start is enabled, for future use.

It seems that your settings have become corrupted, in some fashion, as the various behaviors you describe are not normal for my build. I would recommend a new install. 🙂

If reflashing i dont use settings restore as prefare a clean slate.

• Advertisement

Yes that cured the problem when I enabled Samba all working again. Thanks for speedy reply

Advertisement