Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

phil49 wrote: »
    Yes that cured the problem when I enabled Samba all working again. Thanks for speedy reply

No problem...

I got my Tiviar box today going on from this thread. I have the latest image from this thread flashed. Tomorrow I'll bring the box over to my relative's house and connect it up. I was linked to this post for setting up Saorview (I have tuned in the saorview stuff before when I had a TVHeadend setup on my laptop with a usb tuner). Is there a similar post in this thead for the freesat stuff? I've never set up freesat before. For all I know it's child's play......cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

On the latest image from September 6, NCM says to drag and drop the file with the latest image to TIVIARAPLUS-Harddisk-images - I've been doing my head in trying to find this TIVIARAPLUS-Harddisk-images on webif, but no joy!! Or am I way off base in what I'm doing!

Any help much appreciated.

I got my Tiviar box today going on from this thread. I have the latest image from this thread flashed. Tomorrow I'll bring the box over to my relative's house and connect it up. I was linked to this post for setting up Saorview (I have tuned in the saorview stuff before when I had a TVHeadend setup on my laptop with a usb tuner). Is there a similar post in this thead for the freesat stuff? I've never set up freesat before. For all I know it's child's play......cheers!

If you follow the steps in the post you linked to, with your aerial and satellite dish linked up, the scan will sort out both Saorview and Freesat channels. You then need to run CrossEPG to populate the guide. Good luck!

McBain11 wrote: »
    On the latest image from September 6, NCM says to drag and drop the file with the latest image to TIVIARAPLUS-Harddisk-images - I've been doing my head in trying to find this TIVIARAPLUS-Harddisk-images on webif, but no joy!! Or am I way off base in what I'm doing!

Any help much appreciated.

See the instructions here.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that NCM. I have managed to drag and drop the file onto the Tiviar hard disk section. It's called tiviar.oct.backup (in attachment below).

This file isn't showing up in the flash online section though. Am I doing something wrong here! Not sure where I go from there.

Sorry for the silly questions, I'm pretty useless at this stuff.

Complete newb here but I think it has to be in the "images" folder. Then on the box you go to "Flash on the fly" and hit the blue button. Also I didn't extract the zip.

As the football lads would say, nothing doing!! when dropping the file into the images section.

Once I do that, I'm presuming the file should turn up in the 'Flash on the Fly' section under the 'tiviar.oct.backup' title should it not? And I just click flash then when highlighting it.

I have the file unzipped when transferring to the Tiviar hard disk section - I presume that's ok?

i'm doing something very basic wrong but I've no idea what.

Personally I just uploaded the "openatv-6.2-tiviaraplus-backup-20190906_1409_usb.zip" file to the images folder and then flashed it on the box.

Personally I just uploaded the "openatv-6.2-tiviaraplus-backup-20190906_1409_usb.zip" file to the images folder and then flashed it on the box.

That’s exactly it, you don’t unzip it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help lads. Great setup as per usual NewClareman.

In terms of saving this setup just in case anything goes wrong, is it just go into software management, then backup image, then click ok on 'internal flash openatv 6.2'

Or is there something else I need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads, could I flash my old VU+ Solo 2 Twin Tuner with this??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

tinner777 wrote: »

Unlikely. Different box makes need different images to suit the different internals,, processors, tuners etc
    It IS possible to flash a bare image of openATV for your model box and set it up yourself.

McBain11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help lads. Great setup as per usual NewClareman.

In terms of saving this setup just in case anything goes wrong, is it just go into software management, then backup image, then click ok on 'internal flash openatv 6.2'

Or is there something else I need to do?

No, that should be it. 🙂

tinner777 wrote: »

It may be possible, if you’re willing to dig deep. The settings are stored in: "/etc/enigma2/settings". If you load the same version of OpenATV and the exact same set of plugins that I have, the settings file might then work. I can upload a copy, plus a list of my plugins, if you’re interested in experimenting.

It would be a good bit of work and even then, may not achieve the best result. My concern would be whether some necessary settings could be stored by plugins in other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

NewClareman, great thread. Just a question, is it possible to set up a kind of sky eye option with the Tiviar whereby the Tiviar doesn't have to be in the TV room.

hbab2009 wrote: »
    NewClareman, great thread. Just a question, is it possible to set up a kind of sky eye option with the Tiviar whereby the Tiviar doesn't have to be in the TV room.

There are multiple options - it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. You can control the box remotely using a phone, tablet or remote extender. If you have good WiFi, you can view channels/recordings on phones, tablets etc. You can also use a cheaper Linux box plugged into the back of you tv. This will allow you to view channels/recordings over WiFi and use a standard remote. (I have not done this, but others on boards have.)

You could use a HDMI extender to connect to the box remotely... What is your problem and budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just get an Android box or fire stick and use dream player/dream epg

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

There are multiple options - it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. You can control the box remotely using a phone, tablet or remote extender. If you have good WiFi, you can view channels/recordings on phones, tablets etc. You can also use a cheaper Linux box plugged into the back of you tv. This will allow you to view channels/recordings over WiFi and use a standard remote. (I have not done this, but others on boards have.)

You could use a HDMI extender to connect to the box remotely... What is your problem and budget?

Thanks for the info, let me explain a bit more...
    Ok my sky sub will be gone in about 2 weeks. My current setup is sky dish with quad LNB feeds into the attic. In the attic is the sky box + an amplifier which feeds to 4 other rooms downstairs. All tv's are controlled with the magic sky eye.
    Also feeding into the attic is a saorview aerial with coax....
    Is it possible when my sky sub goes to have the Tiviar Alpha Plus set up to be in the attic or would it need to be downstairs?
    What do I need to do to have the same setup as the moment, without having to get the sky sub renewed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, let me explain a bit more...
    Ok my sky sub will be gone in about 2 weeks. My current setup is sky dish with quad LNB feeds into the attic. In the attic is the sky box + an amplifier which feeds to 4 other rooms downstairs. All tv's are controlled with the magic sky eye.
    Also feeding into the attic is a saorview aerial with coax....
    Is it possible when my sky sub goes to have the Tiviar Alpha Plus set up to be in the attic or would it need to be downstairs?
    What do I need to do to have the same setup as the moment, without having to get the sky sub renewed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

There are two issues to consider - how the signal is distributed and how you change channels. I can only give some general pointers, other board users may have practical experience. Possible options, assuming a new Tiviar box in the attic:

1. Use an Android box or fire stick, with dream player/dream epg installed, plugged into each tv. This is not something I am familiar with, but, if I understand this option correctly:
    i. The individual boxes are cheap.
    ii. You can have a standalone remote, for each tv.
    iii. You can watch recordings, or different tv channels, on each tv.
    iv. You will require homeplugs, or wired internet to each android box.
    Maybe THHB can provide more information.

2. If your TV's have digital tuners (i.e. can receive Saorview), you could convert the output of the Tiviar to a digital signal, that would be tuned in on your TV. This would require something like the Technomate TM-RF HD HDMI RF Modulator. This would give you a similar setup to what you have already, including magic eyes in each room, for changing channel.
    With this option you can only watch the same channel, or recording, on all TV's.

On the date of this post, the Technomate TM-RF HD HDMI RF Modulator is available from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

1. Use an Android box or fire stick, with dream player/dream epg installed, plugged into each tv. This is not something I am familiar with, but, if I understand this option correctly:
    i. The individual boxes are cheap.
    ii. You can have a standalone remote, for each tv.
    iii. You can watch recordings, or different tv channels, on each tv.
    iv. You will require homeplugs, or wired internet to each android box.
    Maybe THHB can provide more information.

I use this method and have to say works a treat, There are a few limitations tho.

You are limited by the number of tuners (I have 2 sat tuners and a saraview tuner) so I can watch something different on 3 TV's. You can also watch the recordings as well as the 3 tuners, you can also watch the same tuner on multiple TV's.

An additional benifit of android boxes is you will also get access to RTE player, Virgin Media (if your a customer) and 4OD among others

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Attempting to flash the Tiviar with NCM's latest image stalls at 49% and then the box crashes.

In fact it doesn't seem to be attempting a proper flash at all as I don't get any prompt on the front display. It just seems to be attempting to boot into the existing image but repeatedly failing/crashing.

I've tried two different USB sticks, both of which I've used successfully in the past, tried each of the different USB ports. I've even tried an older image ...all to no avail.

Perhaps the box has developed a fault? Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

omega42 wrote: »
    I use this method and have to say works a treat, There are a few limitations tho.

You are limited by the number of tuners (I have 2 sat tuners and a saraview tuner) so I can watch something different on 3 TV's. You can also watch the recordings as well as the 3 tuners, you can also watch the same tuner on multiple TV's.

An additional benifit of android boxes is you will also get access to RTE player, Virgin Media (if your a customer) and 4OD among others

What android box do you have that has rte player working correctly? What version rte player is it? I cant get it working on my one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Darby_321 wrote: »
    What android box do you have that has rte player working correctly? What version rte player is it? I cant get it working on my one

Official Android TV boxes have a working version of the RTE player in the Play Store. I have a working player on both a Shield and a Mibox. (That is to say it works but it's a terrible app, it's quit on me midway and makes you start again and rewatch the advert)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Official Android TV boxes have a working version of the RTE player in the Play Store. I have a working player on both a Shield and a Mibox. (That is to say it works but it's a terrible app, it's quit on me midway and makes you start again and rewatch the advert)

I have tried using it on my PC, and it must be the most annoying app ever to try to use.
    Will only play on certain browsers it seems.
    Adverts to start. More adverts at times.
    Can quit at any time.
    Restart - view start adverts again ..... try to scroll timeline to where it quit and if it does not crash again, watch the next set of adverts.

I will say this for it ...... you would need to be determined to watch something or you would not put up with this mess.

peking97 wrote: »
    Attempting to flash the Tiviar with NCM's latest image stalls at 49% and then the box crashes.

In fact it doesn't seem to be attempting a proper flash at all as I don't get any prompt on the front display. It just seems to be attempting to boot into the existing image but repeatedly failing/crashing.

I've tried two different USB sticks, both of which I've used successfully in the past, tried each of the different USB ports. I've even tried an older image ...all to no avail.

Perhaps the box has developed a fault? Any help appreciated!

The restore mechanism was changed by the developers. I can no longer manage an update from USB, though that may only be me!

I gave an alternative method, which does work, when I posted my last image.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fergalc

Hi THHB, does your RTE app on either of your Android boxes play "Live TV".

I've the RTE app on the Shield but no option for Live TV whereas my phone does.

regards, f

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

The restore mechanism was changed by the developers. I can no longer manage an update from USB, though that may only be me!

I gave an alternative method, which does work, when I posted my last image.

Thanks for the response NCM. Back in business again now. I flashed an old image of yours from Oct '18 and then the most recent via the flash online method as posted by your good self. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Sorry haven't read the whole thread but had a quick question that I didn't see answered I'm my quick scan through! Is there an RF output on this box?, I'm looking at it for the inlaws. I can set it up but it would need to integrate into an existing system where sky is piped round the house. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got rte player working on firestick but I have to use version from May I think, found apk online.

Advertisement