Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

bootser wrote: »
    Sorry haven't read the whole thread but had a quick question that I didn't see answered I'm my quick scan through! Is there an RF output on this box?, I'm looking at it for the inlaws. I can set it up but it would need to integrate into an existing system where sky is piped round the house. TIA

No, you’d have to buy an rf modulator- takes hdmi in and converts it to a dvb-t terrestrial channel. There’s also versions that allow you to use a eye for the remote control. (Haven’t used these, myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

how long should the flashing take ?
    mine has been going for a good 5 mins . seems too long

edit:- not seeing usb .. both of them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

No, you’d have to buy an rf modulator- takes hdmi in and converts it to a dvb-t terrestrial channel. There’s also versions that allow you to use a eye for the remote control. (Haven’t used these, myself.)

Have a technomate one, great picture but slow response on the IR.

John mac wrote: »
    how long should the flashing take ?
    mine has been going for a good 5 mins . seems too long

edit:- not seeing usb .. both of them ..

You need to do an online flash, details a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Usb drives do give issues with size and makes,usually 8gb max size and i use kingston or integral and formatted to fat32 and file extracted to usb stick.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Usb drives do give issues with size and makes,usually 8gb max size and i use kingston or integral and formatted to fat32 and file extracted to usb stick.

If you could tell us how to flash from USB, with the most recent builds of OpenATV, it would be great. The backup mechanism changed and, since then, I can only use the online flashing mechanism, from the hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

online flash works perfectly, i had to ftp into the box though, probably something to do with my network.

Is there anything i can download to the box to organise tv shows that are on a usb?

Movie centre sees them and plays them but they are all a bit of mess. Or is there a easy way to search without going through all the files?

would this work?? https://www.techkings.org/threads/movie-organisor-plugin-organise-your-series-recordings-into-folders.97690/

Thanks

tinner777 wrote: »
    online flash works perfectly, i had to ftp into the box though, probably something to do with my network.
    If you can't see the TiviarAP on your windows network, it means that Samba has stopped. Its simple to start it, search this thread.

greasepalm seems to have success flashing from USB, so lets see what he tells us.
    Is there anything i can download to the box to organise tv shows that are on a usb?

Movie centre sees them and plays them but they are all a bit of mess. Or is there a easy way to search without going through all the files?

would this work?? https://www.techkings.org/threads/movie-organisor-plugin-organise-your-series-recordings-into-folders.97690/
    Thanks

Movie Organiser is already installed on my image. You can set the location of your programmes, when you start it in the plugin menu. (Menu - Blue button - Plugins - 0000.) If it allows you to set the location to usb, it will sort your programmes into folders. (I use it from the internal hdd.)

Movie Organiser is already installed on my image. You can set the location of your programmes, when you start it in the plugin menu. (Menu - Blue button - Plugins - 0000.) If it allows you to set the location to usb, it will sort your programmes into folders. (I use it from the internal hdd.)

I have it installed but it hasn't sorted the files into folders??

I might have tried Grogbuild for a brief period and noticed my file structure had changed as all my listings of a show now went under that name.I am using a 1tb internal hdd and it was an xtrend triple tuner so it should work for you.

Mostly only used openvix image as image was downloaded from site,extracted to a fat32 formatted usb stick of max size of 8gb like a kingston usb stick.Inserted into rear of a powered off receiver and no other usb sticks inserted then on and follow guides.
    I did hear some images used compressed image for flashing so always best to check first.

When a plugin has installed on box it will need to be run so it starts the process.

• Advertisement

I have it installed but it hasn't sorted the files into folders??

If you are using this build, go into the plugin and

1. Check that enabled is set to yes.

2. Check that the path of your recordings is set to "RecordedTVProgrammes.

3. Hit the yellow button, to run it now.

Let me know how you get on.

all sorted, just ran it again..

Thanks

all sorted, just ran it again..

Thanks

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

https://www.daltontv.ie

This may have been flagged before, but this company are selling a combo box with 7 day epg for Saorview AND satellite, with built in hdd and series link recording for €450. Its pricey, but price includes installation, which presumably means dish and cabling plus engineer vist. I'm guessing that price could be negotiated if you already have dish etc. If price was below €400, it wouldn't be a bad buy for non techy people, a plug and play, with the holy grail of series link recording and 7 day epg for satellite. Or do people think it's too expensive?

galtee boy wrote: »
    https://www.daltontv.ie

This may have been flagged before, but this company are selling a combo box with 7 day epg for Saorview AND satellite, with built in hdd and series link recording for €450. Its pricey, but price includes installation, which presumably means dish and cabling plus engineer vist. I'm guessing that price could be negotiated if you already have dish etc. If price was below €400, it wouldn't be a bad buy for non techy people, a plug and play, with the holy grail of series link recording and 7 day epg for satellite. Or do people think it's too expensive?

It’s very off topic for this thread, but this is my take...

* A price of €450 for a quality solution, including installation, is not excessive.
    * That solution would need to auto-update satellite and terrestrial channels.
    * Series link would need to be active for satellite and terrestrial channels.
    * A combined EPG, for satellite and terrestrial, ideally with individual genres, is essential.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I might have tried Grogbuild for a brief period ...

Mostly only used openvix image ...

This thread is intended for my customised image, which is based on OpenATV. As the image is heavily customised, the generic Enigma2 capabilities don’t always apply. That is why I ask that only people using this image provide technical feedback...

It’s very off topic for this thread, but this is my take...

* A price of €450 for a quality solution, including installation, is not excessive.
    * That solution would need to auto-update satellite and terrestrial channels.
    * Series link would need to be active for satellite and terrestrial channels.
    * A combined EPG, for satellite and terrestrial, ideally with individual genres, is essential.

Sorry about the thread, wasn't sure where to post it, just to finish off, I checked their website and to answer your suggestions, their box does auto update terrestrial and satellite channels, it has combined epg with genre tabs also, it mentions series link recording, but doesn't specify if its Saorview and Satellite, but with a 7 day epg for satellite, I'm assuming the series link recording is available for satellite also. So all in all, not a bad solution for a non pay tv, non techy person.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Sorry about the thread, wasn't sure where to post it, just to finish off, I checked their website and to answer your suggestions, their box does auto update terrestrial and satellite channels, it has combined epg with genre tabs also, it mentions series link recording, but doesn't specify if its Saorview and Satellite, but with a 7 day epg for satellite, I'm assuming the series link recording is available for satellite also. So all in all, not a bad solution for a non pay tv, non techy person.

I had a quick look.

It is a generic Enigma2 solution, with a single terrestrial and single satellite tuner. It would provide similar functionality to the standard Tiviar Alphaplus solution, but the Alpha+ has dual satellite tuners, so is more flexible.

In my opinion the generic solution is only suitable for “techy” users, so I couldn’t recommend that solution, for family use. I speak from experience, having already been down that route. That is why I created this custom build, which is specifically designed for family use.

I had a quick look.

It is a generic Enigma2 solution, with a single terrestrial and single satellite tuner. It would provide similar functionality to the standard Tiviar Alphaplus solution, but the Alpha+ has dual satellite tuners, so is more flexible.

In my opinion the generic solution is only suitable for “techy” users, so I couldn’t recommend that solution, for family use. I steak from experience, having already been down that route. That is why I created this custom build, which is specifically designed for family use.

Thanks for your advice and I know you know your stuff in this whole combo fta receiver world, what I don't understand is, if this box comes as plug and play, with 7 day epg for satellite and terrestrial already downloaded and installed, built in hdd installed and series link recording added, and auto updating of channels, why isn't it non techy/family friendly? I'm not promoting this box , I just thought it was a solution for the type of person/family that are not tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Have been researching a replacement for my Sky Q system and see Vbox have announced the Android TV Gateway
    https://vboxcomm.com/android-tv-gateway/

If this integrates with Plex/Nvidia Shield like the other Vbox products it could be the solution I have been looking for although would have to purchase both the DVB-T/T2 & Satellite versions.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

jspuds wrote: »
    Have been researching a replacement for my Sky Q system and see Vbox have announced the Android TV Gateway
    https://vboxcomm.com/android-tv-gateway/

If this integrates with Plex/Nvidia Shield like the other Vbox products it could be the solution I have been looking for although would have to purchase both the DVB-T/T2 & Satellite versions.

What do you think?

This thread is intended for my customised image, so best to start a new thread. This topic may also be more suited to the Android Devices, forum.

There are so many options out there that you need to be very certain of your needs and available budget. If starting a new thread, it would be helpful if you could give us more information on what your specific requirements are.

An updated Saorview provider file is available for ABM. I’m presuming it has the new frequencies, as otherwise the shouldn’t need to change. I’d recommend people update in the ABM configuration menu.

(My terrestrial region hasn’t changed, so I’ve no easy way to verify the changes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Hi, I've been using this box and image very happily for a long time now. Nearly since the thread was opened. I'm not sure which version I'm on to be honest. I've lately noticed that none of the links for any movies series etc work. When you press the red button to bring you into that menu. No e at all for anything works. It searches and says nothing. I wonder why? Plus a few channels I've put into my favourites have now gone. I thought these updates.
    Maybe I'm as well loading your newest image. Which one is it these days. If I do upload your newest image would i need to set up my favourites again?
    Again the box has worked without hickup. Best purchase ever. It's just starting to loose a little here and there ? Thanks in advance once more

Go into your box settings
    MENU-INFORMATION-ABOUT- should say what version your on possibly an older one.

If I new why the movies and shows dont find any anymore I'd be happy. Maybe the links are hine dead and there's a way to renew??

Possibly old images dont have the newer links to work?

So basically I'm wondering how yo updatevthe iptv player on the box. Is there a place in the menu to update. If I try it it says unavailable for something like that. Cheers

Might have to wait for others to comment on that as i dont use them.

Milsey wrote: »
    So basically I'm wondering how yo updatevthe iptv player on the box. Is there a place in the menu to update. If I try it it says unavailable for something like that. Cheers

The default IPTV player for OpenATV6.2 is no longer supported. Stream player is the default player with OpenATV6.3, but proved problematic with this box. I have the updated player installed and I’ll post an updated image, over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I was hoping someone could help me here. I recently bought the Tiviar Alpha+ box. The box came with OpenATV installed. I’ve tried to install NewClareman’s image in post 1 here but the box doesn’t appear to recognise the USB stick at all. I’ve tried different USB sticks (256MB and FAT32 formatted). I’ve tried front and back USB ports but no luck. I’ve found an online manual but it has no relevant information and the commands it describes appear to bear no resemblance to what I can see on the screen. Any ideas appreciated.

Advertisement