Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

cwboy wrote: »
    Recently my EPG list is not updating. I have to go into the plugin and do a force reload.
    Any ideas why this might be happening?
    Also the movie browser plug in crashes every time I run it.
    Thanks

I had that problem, too - suspect it’s a compatibility issue with Cross EPG. I never managed to solve it. I moved to OpenATV 6.3, which no longer requires CrossEPG. Unfortunately, it includes empty adult bouquets from a German satellite, which are visible on the Web Interface. I haven’t found a way to remove them, which is why I haven’t posted this image.

The movie browser is no longer supported and I don’t use it. I now have a dedicated “All Films” folder, as the first entry under “Recorded Tv”. I download film descriptions and covers directly within EMC. I also download covers and descriptions for folders created by “Movie Organisor” using this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Quick question, I am considering moving away from Virgin to a satellite saorview combo. Local installer offering I think the AMIKO Mini Combo box. for a first timer in regards to this, is this a good option? Will be keeping some form of internet, but the deal on the dish and installation would be paid back by the end of the year and then at the very most i am paying half my current costs by just going broadband alone. any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I kept away from amiko years ago and wanted a better box that could do more and never looked back as plenty of good enigma2 receivers out there.
    I dont know how good the new models and support is.
    Another question then will be if you want to record onto a hard drive and if so maybe a triple tuner 2 sat and 1 saorview as most newer tvs have saorview built in then if you were recording on saorview box tuner you can view it on tv.
    Twin sat tuners you can record on one and view on the other.
    Vm just broadband at e62 is getting expensive now.
    If getting a sat dish get a quad 4 lnbs fitting as 2 feeds are needed for a twin feed and leaves you 2 free if you want to add another room at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Quick question, I am considering moving away from Virgin to a satellite saorview combo. Local installer offering I think the AMIKO Mini Combo box. for a first timer in regards to this, is this a good option? Will be keeping some form of internet, but the deal on the dish and installation would be paid back by the end of the year and then at the very most i am paying half my current costs by just going broadband alone. any advice would be appreciated.

The Amiko mini combo is a box with proprietary software therefore there is no plugins available to automatically scan and re-add the channels when the frequencies change. You'll start losing channels after about a month.

greasepalm wrote: »
    If getting a sat dish get a quad 4 lnbs fitting as 2 feeds are needed for a twin feed and leaves you 2 free if you want to add another room at a later date.

At this stage of the game, quad LNB’s are legacy technology. If putting up a sat dish I would recommend a Unicable LNB, ideally with legacy support. This entirely removes the need to have multiple cables to one set top box.

Other posters may be in a better position to advise on a specific model. My understanding from some posts I read is that multi-standard LNB’s, that support Sky Q, Unicable and legacy, are available. If so, that would be the most future proof solution.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the above. are you saying that you cannot record and watch at the same time on this box?

On a combo box you can record on sat and view saorview and vice-versa.You cannot view sat and record sat on normal lnb.The same goes for saorview but does your tv have saorview built in?

Different unicable boxes can use unicable lnb to obtain more settings on one tuner and may give 6 or more available recordings at once i believe on sat.

Not sure how it works on saorview with shag all channels?

Thanks for the above. are you saying that you cannot record and watch at the same time on this box?

Not at all, you can record on two different satellite transponders and one Terrestrial Mux, simultaneously. What I am saying is that with a Unicable LNB, you only need one cable, rather than two, from the satellite dish. That one cable can also be shared with additional satellite boxes.

Unicable is a satellite technology, so not really relevant to Saorview. However, you can combine Satellite and Saorview signals on a single coaxial cable.

The AMIKO Mini Combo box is pretty old technology, at this stage - wouldn’t be my recommendation. Anyway, it is off topic for this thread. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

I had that problem, too - suspect it’s a compatibility issue with 1. Cross EPG. I never managed to solve it. I moved to OpenATV 6.3, which no longer requires CrossEPG. Unfortunately, 2. it includes empty adult bouquets from a German satellite, which are visible on the Web Interface. I haven’t found a way to remove them, which is why I haven’t posted this image.

The movie browser is no longer supported and I don’t use it. I now have a dedicated “All Films” folder, as the first entry under “Recorded Tv”. I download film descriptions and covers directly within EMC. I also download covers and descriptions for folders created by “Movie Organisor” using this method.

Delete cross epg and install from the plugins/extensions list epgimport. Works a dream on UK & Irish channels
    Open your bouquets list, click blue for favorites, move to the bouquet you dont want and click on menu and then remove entry. Alternatively use dreamboxedit to create your own bouquet and channel lists....that way you are in control of what is there. Takes a bit of time the first time but is easy to manage after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Delete cross epg and install from the plugins/extensions list epgimport. Works a dream on UK & Irish channels
    Open your bouquets list, click blue for favorites, move to the bouquet you dont want and click on menu and then remove entry. Alternatively use dreamboxedit to create your own bouquet and channel lists....that way you are in control of what is there. Takes a bit of time the first time but is easy to manage after that.
    You must be new here!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

FFVII wrote: »
    You must be new here!?
    I am sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I am sorry...

Oh no, don't be.

It's just, you quoted the OP.

Open your bouquets list, click blue for favorites, move to the bouquet you dont want and click on menu and then remove entry. Alternatively use dreamboxedit to create your own bouquet and channel lists....

Thanks for the reply, but this is a much deeper issue, related to the service provider list on OpenATV 6.3. There appears to be no easy solution. There is a script on the developers forum, but it does a deep reset of all parameters...

This custom build used ABM to create bouquets automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi, a few questions re my Tiviar setup..........

When I press the "playlist button" I cannot see any of my recordings, I instead have to press the "play" button and my recording appear. My setup must need to be tweaked, any ideas?

Also when I record a programme, I think I get timer and autotimer, what is the difference?

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Hi, a few questions re my Tiviar setup..........

When I press the "playlist button" I cannot see any of my recordings, I instead have to press the "play" button and my recording appear. My setup must need to be tweaked, any ideas?

Also when I record a programme, I think I get timer and autotimer, what is the difference?

A timer is a once off event, like a recording or auto channel change (zap)

Think of an autotimer as series link, it's a repeating search, when it finds what meets your criteria such as name of show, channel, day of week, time (eg between 8pm and 12pm) it adds what it finds as recording timer. You'll need to play around with it to see all the parameters that can be adjusted, it's very powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

ok thank you THHB, i'll mess around with the autotimer settings.

Any idea why I have the below problem?

hbab2009 wrote: »
    ok thank you THHB, i'll mess around with the autotimer settings.

Any idea why I have the below problem?

I don't use the original remote as I have a Logitech Harmony remote and have mapped the DVR button on the Harmony to Play on the box to open recordings so it's not just your box it's just not mapped to Playlist in Enigma unless NCM has modified it to do so

Not at all, you can record on two different satellite transponders and one Terrestrial Mux, simultaneously. What I am saying is that with a Unicable LNB, you only need one cable, rather than two, from the satellite dish. That one cable can also be shared with additional satellite boxes.

Unicable is a satellite technology, so not really relevant to Saorview. However, you can combine Satellite and Saorview signals on a single coaxial cable.

The AMIKO Mini Combo box is pretty old technology, at this stage - wouldn’t be my recommendation. Anyway, it is off topic for this thread. ��

Thought by the title that this was the right thread, so can you direct me to the right one, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cwboy

My box has started to really slow down. When I go into the play list it says 411 GB free space but a message came up recently saying the memory was full.
    Navigating through the play list of recorded programmes is slow now with the circle spinning in between pages. It crashed while in the recorded list too just now. Any ideas?

Sounds like you need to check where your epg is getting saved to and hopefully its not internal flash.

Box may need to be reflashed with a new image and setup again.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to check where your epg is getting saved to and hopefully its not internal flash.

Box may need to be reflashed with a new image and setup again.

Would something change this? It is saving to /media/HDD

I just reflashed but the recording list is still very slow with the circle spinning every few seconds.

How old is image and might you have timeshift running on box as i never do as not used or needed.

Sometimes its a case of setting up box from scratch as excess plugins and other stuff added might be slowing box down

The image i used is the one mentioned in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111187518&postcount=665

We sometimes pause tv etc. Is this the timeshift you are talking about?

Yes that is timeshift if you can pause live tv.

So your image is fairly new,another thing to check and try if box has a lan connection?

Power off box completely and router for a few mins then on just might clear a simple bug stored as is a well known fix.

cwboy wrote: »
    My box has started to really slow down. When I go into the play list it says 411 GB free space but a message came up recently saying the memory was full.
    Navigating through the play list of recorded programmes is slow now with the circle spinning in between pages. It crashed while in the recorded list too just now. Any ideas?

I have an updated image, based on OpenATV 6.3 that should be faster. I think I have all the issues sorted, so hope to post in a week, or so. (Just want to be sure that it is stable.)

@hbab2009 I have no idea why you are getting that issue, but the updated build should sort it.

I have an updated image, based on OpenATV 6.3 that should be faster. I think I have all the issues sorted, so hope to post in a week, or so. (Just want to be sure that it is stable.)

@hbab2009 I have no idea why you are getting that issue, but the updated build should sort it.

It seems to be crashing every time I go into the recorded files list. I also can't pause live TV.
    Could it be a hard drive problem?

Sounds like a hdd issue,try powering off box disconnect it and setup a usb on the rear and see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Just installed this image on my box. It looks superb. Can't wait to dig into it a bit to see what it can properly do.
    One thing that happened to me .. I wasn't getting a prompt when powering on the box, to press the power button to flash. Instead, I went into software management and found the setting to flash an image from there. It found the image on the usb and flashed without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

I can't seem to tune in the Irish channels. They were working fine on the previously installed image.
    When I go to my tuner c setup, it's as follows

Type: DVB-T"
    Configuration mode: enabled
    Region: My local region (Europe DVB-T/T2) - i also can't change this.

When I scan this, it doesn't bring back any channels.
    I'm presuming my setup is wrong. What should it be?

Edit: I'm in Clare, and on previous image had selected the local transmitter, but i can't find the option to do this here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

oops, the way you flashed the image is new to me, did you do a backup? why did you update? I have 6.2 since 1.11.18 and its flawless. Im in clare as well. Is the box new and did it come with an image?

Can you you say how you managed to flash it from the USB and I can check if its possible? Your best bet is to fla sh image from usb again, and if stick is not recognised try other usb slots ie front, NB make sure box is turned off from the rear. And you may have to try other USB sticks.

Here is a pic of the way I have done tuner

PS can you say the version of the image in the box now, do menu information about

Advertisement