Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

swoofer wrote: »
    oops, the way you flashed the image is new to me, did you do a backup? why did you update? I have 6.2 since 1.11.18 and its flawless. Im in clare as well. Is the box new and did it come with an image?

Can you you say how you managed to flash it from the USB and I can check if its possible? Your best bet is to fla sh image from usb again, and if stick is not recognised try other usb slots ie front, NB make sure box is turned off from the rear. And you may have to try other USB sticks.

Here is a pic of the way I have done tuner

PS can you say the version of the image in the box now, do menu information about
    I did a backup to my HDD but I can't figure out how to restore it.
    Not that I want to. I like this image, I just need to figure out the irish channels.
    I'm on version 6.2

I can't remember the exact settings I used for flashing. I went into software management and found an option to flash from usb or hdd(i think that was the other option).

Looking at the image you've provided. It doesn't make sense to me why I can't change the country settings. I'm pressing left and right arrows and no joy.
    I'll re-flash it later on and try again

Just tried another flashing ... still not receiving a prompt after i power the box back on.
    I'm hesitant to use my other USB stick as it's 30GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭swoofer

dont worry about size of usb, but make sure you format it to fat 32 in pc first. Are you copying files to usb in correct format? its will have folder tiviarplus and then files in it imageversion, kernel.bin, noforce, rootfs.bin.

remove any other sub sticks.
    thats the best image,

ill check box on how to restore in a mo in case stick is no good, try front usb as well.

ok in software manager, go to advanced options, then select advanced restore and that should show you the backups, just select the one you want and press ok.

just out of curiosity - am I just missing the prompt? Im' looking at the display on the front of the box.
    When i power it on, it stays blank for a few seconds, then goes straight to "booting" and then "run alpha+"

Exact same thing happening with other usb stick

I've attached the structure of the usb stick

Fo5TGyD

image not appearing. it's here: https://www.imgur.com/a/Fo5TGyD

I have forgotten the message I got when flashing, can you check folder to ensure files are there. When you power on does the usb light up to show its been read? If it does you could put in in front slot and when it lights press power.

Its a mystery.

• Advertisement

This just isn't working out for me. Whilst attempting to reformat a usb, i accidently did it to my external hard drive.
    Thankfully, just movie and tv files on it. All the important stuff backs up to the cloud.

I also appear to have overwritten the backup i took yesterday before flashing, as when I restore now, it's restoring to the image that i've flashed :( I'm running out of ideas. I could always just plug the cable from the ariel into the tv, but then i won't have the epg etc, but at least i'll still have the channels.

Another question - if I connect the box to my laptop via ethernet cable - can i browse the files on it using something like filezilla? How do I discover the device?

So I found a place to check the filesystem settings of the hdd and connected usb.

system - storage devices - file system check

when I check the usb's i get the following:
    Error: e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

/dev/sdb1 contains a vfat file system labelled "KINGSTON"

I'll dig into this after the kids go to bed ... unless somebody here has a solution
    checked format on laptop and it is FAT32

Gosh, you have so many Q's and done so many things. Normally when the box refuses to flash its down to the usb not been recognised, bad files, and a few others.

I am trying to get a picture of your setup and of course I assumed you have an internal hdd and so on.

To access the box you would need to attach lan cable to box and router and reboot box. Then go menu setup, network, adapter settings and that will show the ip of the box, to set a static ip turn off dhcp and it asks to start network, its better with a static ip. You can access the box with filezilla and have a look around, you may even find a backup in there. I use WINSCP and its very good, its for windows. I have filezilla as well.

When you check the files on USB I want you to use laptop and file explorer. What version of windows are you on?

I'll send you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Same thing was happening to me when i downloaded latest backup from the shared google drive link, although worked when i tried old backups=> generic image ....

To get the sairview channels i went to Setup , (pin 0000), went to Terrestrial at bottom of list and did a full scan (takes a while and found the channels in last few mins)

Thanks Sean. I'll try that later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

What's the deal with these Saorview connect boxes, as compared to this system? They both have satellite tuners and both can record? (Assuming one has a dual Lnb)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I can't seem to tune in the Irish channels. They were working fine on the previously installed image.
    When I go to my tuner c setup, it's as follows

Type: DVB-T"
    Configuration mode: enabled
    Region: My local region (Europe DVB-T/T2) - i also can't change this.

When I scan this, it doesn't bring back any channels.
    I'm presuming my setup is wrong. What should it be?

Edit: I'm in Clare, and on previous image had selected the local transmitter, but i can't find the option to do this here

If you’re using my image, the details for setting up Saorview can be found here.

just out of curiosity - am I just missing the prompt? Im' looking at the display on the front of the box.
    When i power it on, it stays blank for a few seconds, then goes straight to "booting" and then "run alpha+"

Exact same thing happening with other usb stick

I've attached the structure of the usb stick

Fo5TGyD

image not appearing. it's here: https://www.imgur.com/a/Fo5TGyD

Details on flashing the latest image are here.

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Same thing was happening to me when i downloaded latest backup from the shared google drive link, although worked when i tried old backups=> generic image ....

To get the sairview channels i went to Setup , (pin 0000), went to Terrestrial at bottom of list and did a full scan (takes a while and found the channels in last few mins)

Any channels found using this method will be overwritten by ABM, which is configured to scan for channel changes, every night. That is why it is essential that you have inputted your local transmitter into ABM and updated the Saorview provider files to pick up frequency changes since I configured the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

endainoz wrote: »
    What's the deal with these Saorview connect boxes, as compared to this system? They both have satellite tuners and both can record? (Assuming one has a dual Lnb)

Comparing a push bike to a Ferrari. No 7 day EPG for satellite so no series linking and difficult to set a timer in advance for satellite. Closed source software meaning you're stuck with what they give you whether it works right or not. More expensive for lower specs etc etc Read the Saorview Connect thread for people experiences with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Comparing a push bike to a Ferrari. No 7 day EPG for satellite so no series linking and difficult to set a timer in advance for satellite. Closed source software meaning you're stuck with what they give you whether it works right or not. More expensive for lower specs etc etc Read the Saorview Connect thread for people experiences with it.

Thanks, I thought as much with the closed software.

So I thought I had my issue with the tuner nearly resolved.
    I got a wireless dongle and connected to the box.
    Flashed the NCM image as instructed and it worked, but I still couldn't select my region etc.
    So I flashed back to normal ATV 6.2, which also wouldn't allow me to.
    Then went back to 6.1, where I successfully changed the settings. Flashed forward again to 6.2 to keep my settings, which it did.
    I'm now stuck on flashing NCM's image again. it started the process. Display on box says Backup,Flashh .. but it's been stuck on this now for about 30 minutes with nothing on screen. If i power off the box, how likely am I to brick it? All other flashes have taken approx 5 minutes

Edit: I'm still able to connect to the box via WinSCP, so it's still active, but there just nothing happening on screen.

You have lost me, why all this flashing(you will get arrested) I dont use this image but there is a glitch somewhere, why not flash the image that worked. Are all the images you tried NCM's? I have 6.1 one box and 6.2 on another and both are fine.

When you look at box anything on display and did you try remote just in case its on a duff channel?

You can power off and it should reboot to last image on box, take out USB first.

phew. Box ok after reboot. Still can't change my country data though. I may have to revert back to regular ATV option for now. Pity, as NCM's image is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

phew. Box ok after reboot. Still can't change my country data though. I may have to revert back to regular ATV option for now. Pity, as NCM's image is class.

Are you changing your country in the Autobouquets section and not within the Tuners?
    Once autobouquets is enabled it overides the regular tuner entries....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

Hi, I am having a problem finding some channels on the EPG.

Last night I wanted to record something on rte 2 but I saw this was clashing with other recordings, so I searched the EPG and found that I could record the programme on rte2+, recording went perfect.

My problem is I can't find RTE2+ on the EPG or on the Plus tab.

Do I need to change a setting?

robbKer wrote: »
    Are you changing your country in the Autobouquets section and not within the Tuners?
    Once autobouquets is enabled it overides the regular tuner entries....

Thanks for the info RobbKer. I've settled on NCM's second most recent image as I was able to configure that to my liking.
    I'm done tinkering with it for now. It's a fantastic setup.

hbab2009 wrote: »
    Hi, I am having a problem finding some channels on the EPG.

Last night I wanted to record something on rte 2 but I saw this was clashing with other recordings, so I searched the EPG and found that I could record the programme on rte2+, recording went perfect.

My problem is I can't find RTE2+ on the EPG or on the Plus tab.

Do I need to change a setting?

You should see RTE2+1 on the "All Channels" channel group (Bouquet). This is where ABM automatically adds new terrestrial channels. Unfortunately, it has to be added manually to the +1 group, unlike the uk channels which are added automatically.

I have just posted an updated version of this build, to the link in the first post. As always, all credit goes to the team who build the core enigma2 software, and those who built the various plugins.

From a user perspective, the main changes are:
    1. Updates to the Channel Groups (Bouquets)
    2. Recording from EPG is simplified.
    3. New Online TV player, as previous one was not being updated.
    4. Various Usability tweaks.
    5. Movie Browser is removed.
    6. The blue button is now available for updates, etc.
    Note that losing Movie Browser is not really an issue, unless you have a large film library. I created an “All Films” directory under “Recorded TV Programs”. I download film information directly using the blue button. Covers are downloaded using menu – ‘Cover Search’.

From a technology perspective, the main changes are:
    1. Now based on OpenATV 6.3.
    2. CrossEPG replaced by EPG Refresh, for improved reliability.
    3. Online TV player now uses E2iStream, rather than E2iPlayer.

Installation Instructions

The installation instructions from my previous build, see here, are still valid.

The link in the installation instructions, for setting up your local transmitter, is broken. What you need to do is:
    1. Go into ABM (menu – blue button – setup - 0000 – Reception ...)
    2. Set Saorview Region under Providers (DO NOT change any other setting.)
    3. Update Provider Files
    4. Start scan within ABM. If the Scan fails on the terrestrial channels , it means that you have inputted the wrong transmitter, or you’re not getting a terrestrial signal.

You now need to populate the EPG, or wait until it populates automatically, which can take a long time. To populate it manually:
    1. Exit from ABM and then back once more.
    2. Go to EPG – EPG Refresh – Functions (Yellow Button) – Refresh Now.
    3. Exit from setup menu
    4. Wait about 6 minutes for guide to be populated.

Note that there is no movie database to be updated, as this build does not include “Movie Organisor”.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

I just bought a new hard drive for the Tiviar. Will it be picked up automatically it do i need to format it somewhere?

cwboy wrote: »
    I just bought a new hard drive for the Tiviar. Will it be picked up automatically it do i need to format it somewhere?

Adapted from here:
    • Shutdown the Tiviar using the menu, then turn off the power using the mains switch at the rear.
    • Touch the metal body of the box, with the power lead still plugged in, to discharge any static you might have picked up.
    • Unplug the mains lead, remove the cover and fit the HDD.
    • Reboot the Tiviar.
    • Initialise then HDD: Menu… setup… System… Storage Devices… Initialisation choose your HDD
    • Once initialised convert the file format to ext4: Menu>Blue Button>setup>0000>system>storage devices>Convert ext3 filesytsem to ext4

I haven’t tried this myself, as I installed the HDD before flashing OpenATV.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

Adapted from here:
    • Shutdown the Tiviar using the menu, then turn off the power using the mains switch at the rear.
    • Touch the metal body of the box, with the power lead still plugged in, to discharge any static you might have picked up.
    • Unplug the mains lead, remove the cover and fit the HDD.
    • Reboot the Tiviar.
    • Initialise then HDD: Menu… setup… System… Storage Devices… Initialisation choose your HDD
    • Once initialised convert the file format to ext4: Menu>Blue Button>setup>0000>system>storage devices>Convert ext3 filesytsem to ext4

I haven’t tried this myself, as I installed the HDD before flashing OpenATV.

Thanks. Seemed to work.
    Just flashed the new image.
    Thanks for all your work on this and for sharing.

One small note all your timers seem to be set up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I have just posted an updated version of this build, to the link in the first post.
    Thanks a lot for this. We're happily using your last version at the moment. Will try this version over the next couple of weeks when I've time.

cwboy wrote: »
    One small note all your timers seem to be set up in it.

I know, didn’t have time to backup, delete, restore... :)
    If you delete the Autotimers it’ll get rid of most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Thanks for the new image NCM. Is there any way to turn off the bright white lights on the front of the box?

Advertisement