Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can you say a bit more, u have me a bit flummoxed, I have a tiviar with openatv6.1 I am not bothered with latest images they don't affect us simple folK. So can you see the network ip in the tiviar by going to system etc? Does the xp connect to the internet if required?

Have you tried entering the ip address of the tiviar in the google address bar? Is the box still working? What file was missing!!!?? was it noforce?

If i get a picture of where you are at I may have a solution? Have you tuned in the new frequencies for saorview?

Is it just ABM you want to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

swoofer wrote: »
    Can you say a bit more, u have me a bit flummoxed, I have a tiviar with openatv6.1 I am not bothered with latest images they don't affect us simple folK. So can you see the network ip in the tiviar by going to system etc? Does the xp connect to the internet if required?

Have you tried entering the ip address of the tiviar in the google address bar? Is the box still working? What file was missing!!!?? was it noforce?

If i get a picture of where you are at I may have a solution? Have you tuned in the new frequencies for saorview?

Is it just ABM you want to fix?

Thank you swoofer and NCM. I think your comments might have got me to a solution. Auto correct on the phone has made my message somewhat more difficult to follow.

Once the Late late is over i might get to fix the issues😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

need a bit of help . when i press epg i get a menu . main channels, entertainment,plus1,movies etc, last one is all channels.
    if i select all channels i get a choice of 12 channels ,saorview,
    from what i can make out there are no bouquet that incorporates all channels,

Can i just press a number like 1 for rte1 , 5 for bbc1 hd 25 for dave , 48 for dave +1 etc..

is there an easy way to re-order channels , if they were numbered there wouldnt be a need

another annoying thing is the its recording tommy tiernan on rte , and fair city , even though ive cancelled them , the recordings start again themselves

when your talking about abm , is there a menu for it , as i dont see it .

thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

I keep getting Tune Failed error when trying to watch RTE 1, Rte2 is fine mostly but does get it the odd time. Any solutions to resolve it? I've rebooted the Tiviar box and also re-tuned the channels. Hasn't resolved the issue. Based in Portarlington,is there a specific location I should choose to tune to?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

DeKing wrote: »
    I keep getting Tune Failed error when trying to watch RTE 1, Rte2 is fine mostly but does get it the odd time. Any solutions to resolve it? I've rebooted the Tiviar box and also re-tuned the channels. Hasn't resolved the issue. Based in Portarlington,is there a specific location I should choose to tune to?

Sounds to me like you have an issue with your aerial signal, either aerial is off slightly, or cable is damaged or connection in to the box is damaged.

Aerial being slightly off would be my first check as RTE1 and RTE2 are on different muxes and often times if signal is weak then one or RTÉ other goes first. You will see other channels go in the same grouping as RTE1 or RTE2....

The addition of an amplifier (if there’s not already one there) might help however if there’s little or no signal there to start with you can get mixed results.

Also, not always a solid indication but if you plug the aerial connection direct on to a tv and auto tune, do all the channels appear?

The Saorview coverage checker suggests you should have a horizontal aerial pointed to kippure on channels 34 (RTE1 Mux) and 35 (RTE2 mux). Direction is dependent on where you are in Portarlington but heading eastwards anyway.

Kilduff transmitter is another option on channels 31 and 37 (horizontal and south west of portarlington) again though it all depends on location in portarlington and whether you have any obstructions / mountains in the way.

You will need to set the proper transmitter in the auto bouquet maker settings....to do this follow these instructions:
    1. Press ‘Menu’ on the Tiviar Remote Control and then press the ‘Blue’ button to expose the ‘Setup’ Menu option.
    2. Highlight and Select the ‘Setup’ Option, you will be asked for a Password which is “0000” (By Default unless you change it)
    3. Highlight and Select the ‘Reception’ Option.
    4. Highlight and Select the ‘AutoBouquetsMakers’ option.
    5. Highlight and Select the ‘Update Providers’ Option to make sure your providers are up to date, after you've done that you should select the 'Providers' option from the 'AutobouquetsMaker' main menu.
    6. Under the ‘Saorview’ listing you will see the ‘Region’ Option. Highlight this and using the arrow left and arrow right buttons scroll through the various transmitters until you find the correct transmitter for your area.
    7. Now press the green button to save your choice.
    8. Now that you are back in the ‘autobouquetsmaker’ menu highlight and select the ‘Start Scan’ option. If the aerial signal is correctly pointed towards your selected transmitter then your channels should tune perfectly and the channels should appear in the EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 TMsucks

Hello,

Thanks for all the amazing info. I'm hoping to dump Sky Q; the wifey hates the setup, and the kids only use Disney+ and Netflix, but I would like to keep BBC (for Match of the Day!).

From reading this thread, it seems like some of the functionality added by NewClareman over the years has since become available on the more recent Saorview Connect boxes, which connect to the internet for a 7 day EPG and have record-ability (to external drive).

I'm wondering which way should I go... does Saorview Connect have most of the needed features nowadays; what would be missing if I went with a Connect box from PowerCity. Maybe the ability to watch on a tablet/phone?

Your advice on this would be much appreciated; it has to be simple and reliable (for the wifey!)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fireless

can download THHB latest backup using a Kingston 8Gb usb. Cannot flash NCM backup as box will not recognise usb. have formatted usb with fat in dos (format e:) in run.Have bought new usb from Kingston still the same. HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭decor58

TMsucks wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks for all the amazing info. I'm hoping to dump Sky Q; the wifey hates the setup, and the kids only use Disney+ and Netflix, but I would like to keep BBC (for Match of the Day!).

From reading this thread, it seems like some of the functionality added by NewClareman over the years has since become available on the more recent Saorview Connect boxes, which connect to the internet for a 7 day EPG and have record-ability (to external drive).

I'm wondering which way should I go... does Saorview Connect have most of the needed features nowadays; what would be missing if I went with a Connect box from PowerCity. Maybe the ability to watch on a tablet/phone?

Your advice on this would be much appreciated; it has to be simple and reliable (for the wifey!)

Thanks.

In case there is any confusion, Saorview Connect does not have 7 day epg on satellite, just now and next. To record match of the day you would put in the details, channel, time, etc. It works but if there is a programme change the timing may be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Before buying the Saorview Connect box i suggest to read the thread on Boards first
    If only Using Sky Q your lnb will need to be replaced to use on a sat box.Enigma 2 boxes as plenty of models to choose from with sat and cable tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Triple tuner Enigma2 boxes are also available with internal HDDs

• Advertisement

@johnmac, can you say what image you are using, its possible it loaded badly. To get rid of recordings go to setup timers and select timers and autotimers, delete the ones you dont need, usually red button.

With this image I thought you had bouquets ordered in such a way as a favourites list would have a mixed epg?

Using openwebif you can do a lot.

using newclaremans latest one , (jan 17th ish )

after searching for openwebif . have it on the pc now once i found the ip for the tiviar, just what i needed :)
    , if i edit the bouquets from here will they get moved around again when any auto updates are done ?

Yes the idea of autoupdates is if there is a frequency change. All you do is turn off daily updates in ABM. I use dreamboxedit program, its free, to mess with bouquets but webif is a start. I gave you webif as a starter. With deamboxedit you can create new bouquets, then add all the channels you want into a favourites. Then if you place that bouquet at top of list, these will become your button presses, ie if RTE1 is first then button one opens rte. etc When you make your own bouquet there is a way you can keep them but I have forgotten. I watch so few chanels is does not bother me.

You can also play with bouquets using the remote.

have a look at a few screenshots here, you may have to scroll down.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112193348

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

If you can see the stick that is plugged in try and flash using that method. It is not something I have used so you might let us know how you get on.

I had to park this for a while but finally got round to upgrading the box. The "flash local" option worked a treat: just browse to the location of the USB stick, select the ZIP file with the image (no need to extract the files before copying to the stick) and off it went. Done and dusted in a couple of minutes.

Updated the terrestrial channels and the EPG, and now just waiting to undergo user acceptance testing with the family. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cwboy

Hi

My box seems to be saving all the timeshift recordings. Is there a way to stop this?

My hdd was full this evening.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Loving this. Cancelled sky today.

I have the privilege of being able to set this up in the shed and test it/let it run and recordings build up.

After some ups and downs I got there thanks to all the posts here and I hope to add a few bits myself once I have it installed in the comms press.

My question is about IR, I have 2 edison hdmi modulators in the press, currently one for sky and one for a chromecast. I am replacing sky with the alpha+ box. From my understanding I may install a rf modulator with IR to take the IR from the magic eyes, I have a trilink lying around I can use.

Where in the alpha+ box is the IR receiver?
    Is this the best way in your option for my setup?

Thanks in advance

@cwboy go to timeshift settings and change autorecord to no. look at pic.

Thanks

Will that stop me being able to rewind something if it hasn't been recorded? As in Im watching something on TV and want to rewind because I missed something.

What you do is press pause and that starts timeshift, then if you zap to another channel you will get an onscreen prompt its 3 lines and its yes yes no but I cant remember. you choose the best option, give it a go and report, I dont use this box but help others andvery seldom get feedback.

Seems to be working now. Thanks. Will keep an eye and make sure its not filling the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

swoofer wrote: »
    @cwboy go to timeshift settings and change autorecord to no. look at pic.
    cwboy wrote: »
    Thanks

Will that stop me being able to rewind something if it hasn't been recorded? As in Im watching something on TV and want to rewind because I missed something.

Changing auto record to no stops the box recording everything you watch. You can still rewind.

fireless wrote: »
    can download THHB latest backup using a Kingston 8Gb usb. Cannot flash NCM backup as box will not recognise usb. have formatted usb with fat in dos (format e:) in run.Have bought new usb from Kingston still the same. HELP

Check back a few posts, the upgrade mechanism has changed. 🙂

John mac wrote: »
    need a bit of help . when i press epg i get a menu . main channels, entertainment,plus1,movies etc, last one is all channels.
    if i select all channels i get a choice of 12 channels ,saorview,
    from what i can make out there are no bouquet that incorporates all channels,

Can i just press a number like 1 for rte1 , 5 for bbc1 hd 25 for dave , 48 for dave +1 etc..

is there an easy way to re-order channels , if they were numbered there wouldnt be a need

another annoying thing is the its recording tommy tiernan on rte , and fair city , even though ive cancelled them , the recordings start again themselves

when your talking about abm , is there a menu for it , as i dont see it .

thanks
    J

All channels is all the Saorview channels, I found no easy way to change the name.

The channels are numbered, according to the sequence in the bouquets, starting with “Main Channels”. Pressing 1 gives RTE1, etc.

If you check back a bit through the lists I’ve explained how to reorder channels.

To stop recordings recurring you need to delete the appropriate Autotimer.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I am missing a lot of both TV and Radio Picons.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere to download them from please, it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

PacMan wrote: »
    I am missing a lot of both TV and Radio Picons.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere to download them from please, it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

https://github.com/picons/picons/releases/tag/2020-04-25--17-19-44

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Thank You dulpit.
    will try after work this evening

getting a couple of hours to play with the settings,
    have most of it now , need some time to get all the channels on one bouquet,

using harmony remote , just need to set up some favs on the main screen when tiviar activity is used .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

PacMan wrote: »
    Thank You dulpit.
    will try after work this evening

If memory serves, the names of the picons for virgin media channels are wrong, so you need to rename them to match the wording of the channels (the channel is saved as virgin media one and the file is virgin media 1 or vice versa)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

sorry, but from a quick scan of this thread, I can't find where people are buying these boxes. The only place I see these for sale are on ebay for 189 euros. I noticed a few links on satellite forums advertising these for £99 but they are now out of stock? Any recommendations on where to buy thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Advertisement