Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

OK .... I loaded Ubuntu onto my W10 laptop, and am left with a blinking cursor in front of the "liam@DESKTOP-M7CJHQ2:~$" prompt.
    How do I access the Tiviar box on my network @(192.168.1.192) and or what commands do I use to get to that dmesg command. Thx

You don't actually need Linux, at all.

Just enter the IP Address of the Tiviar into your browser and you'll get the OpenWebIF.

Open Terminal, under extras, at the LHS of the menus. Username is root and password is tempass.

Plug in the device, type dmesg in the terminal window...

and to think we do these things for fun :p

Indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

ssh root@192.168.1.192 to access the Tiviar

I ran two DMESG commands - first one with ALL USB slots empty, and the second, with the WiFi adapter plugged into the front USB slot (output file.txt attached). I copied the contents of the 2 outputs in two text files, compared both files with the "Winmerge" Windows app, and it didn't find any difference between the 2 files.

The adapter is "new", but I'm wondering if it's faulty or maybe another pilot error? Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hint

Run
    dmesg -c
    before you plug in the device and this will clear all entries.

Then plug in the device and run plain
    dmesg

which will then display only the entries since the last clear.

Try all USB slots if nothing appears initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OK .... I loaded Ubuntu onto my W10 laptop, and am left with a blinking cursor in front of the "liam@DESKTOP-M7CJHQ2:~$" prompt.
    How do I access the Tiviar box on my network @(192.168.1.192) and or what commands do I use to get to that dmesg command. Thx

You can plug the device into this PC and watch for output from dmesg to identify the devices.

• Advertisement

You can plug the device into this PC and watch for output from dmesg to identify the devices.

From Terminal, I ran the dmesg -c command and then ran the plain dmesg commands twice which came up with an empty output as expected?

I plugged the USB Wi_fi device into the back USB port and it outputted the following:
    root@tiviaraplus:~# dmesg (checking that dmesg -c cleared the list)
    root@tiviaraplus:~# dmesg (after plugging the adapter in the rear USB port)
    [161358.628000] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-brcm
    [161358.876000] usb 3-1: reset high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-brcm
    [161359.007000] ieee80211 phy7: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 5390, rev 0502 detected
    [161359.037000] ieee80211 phy7: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 5370 detected
    [161359.039000] ieee80211 phy7: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
    root@tiviaraplus:~#

After looking at that output, I'm as smart now as I ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭greasepalm

2 chip sets are detected go look in Drivers to see if those numbers are listed?

Dont think i see any of those chipsets on my h7s plugins and it might not be supported?

Plugged the WiFi into the Laptop and W10 says it's a RaLink adapter....... I then went into plugins (Tiviar box) - downloaded a RaLink driver, and now trying to find out how I can configure the adapter with the right Router password ......

Plugged the WiFi into the Laptop and W10 says it's a RaLink adapter....... I then went into plugins (Tiviar box) - downloaded a RaLink driver, and now trying to find out how I can configure the adapter with the right Router password ......

It's under System - Setup - Device Setup. If I remember correctly you'll get an option to select/configure WiFi, if the driver is correct. You will need to do a full restart of the box, not just the GUI, for the driver to install.

Just to let you know that WiFi dongles give problems on this box, particularly for streaming. They tend to lock up, requiring a device restart.

I wont comment as windows and linux may differ as unsure it can?

• Advertisement

EUREKA!! Working like a charm...... I know this is peanuts to all of you, but a great help forum for bo-zos like me .... Many thanks - fair play!

See attached pic.
    I am trying to play movies or Recorded TV Programs on a bedroom TV (fed from an Android box), from my Tiviar box in my sitting room. What miracle, app(s) or settings do I need to load or create for that to happen? Thx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

See attached pic.
    I am trying to play movies or Recorded TV Programs on a bedroom TV (fed from an Android box), from my Tiviar box in my sitting room. What miracle, app(s) or settings do I need to load or create for that to happen? Thx!

Get the Dream EPG app for Android, you'll have to pay for it to use all the bouquets but it's worth it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.free

It's under System - Setup - Device Setup. If I remember correctly you'll get an option to select/configure WiFi, if the driver is correct. You will need to do a full restart of the box, not just the GUI, for the driver to install.

Just to let you know that WiFi dongles give problems on this box, particularly for streaming. They tend to lock up, requiring a device restart.

Right on the button ..... I thought the dongle was working fine this eve, until I tried to connect the Dream EPG from the other room. I couldn't get it to connect to the Tiviar, so I connected an Ethernet cable, and then worked fine.

Wasted too many hours trying to get the dongle going .... never done learning!

Hard wired is always better.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Hard wired is always better.

So if I wanted to remotely stream a live program or recording from my Tiviar to say my Android phone, do I ftp from my phone into the box?
    Btw- I have a static IP address on my router because I have CCTV cameras that I can view remotely from my phone using an app called vMEyePro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

So if I wanted to remotely stream a live program or recording from my Tiviar to say my Android phone, do I ftp from my phone into the box?
    Btw- I have a static IP address on my router because I have CCTV cameras that I can view remotely from my phone using an app called vMEyePro.

The easiest way to access any function, stream live or recordings, set timers etc etc is using the WEBIF function. Simply enter the box network address 192.168.xxx.xxx into any device with a web browser on your home network.

The easiest way to access any function, stream live or recordings, set timers etc etc is using the WEBIF function. Simply enter the box network address 192.168.xxx.xxx into any device with a web browser on your home network.

Thanks ..... WEBIF works grand inside the house from my browser. And I've already got Dream EPG app going grand on my phone too from inside the house.... but if I'm away from the house, I won't have access to the 192.168.xxx.xxx address - right?.

I know my static IP address from outside the house is 83.xx.xxx.xxx.

Given that, is there an app or a setup that I can use to access my Tiviar box from my Android phone when I'm way away from my home network?

Thanks ..... WEBIF works grand inside the house from my browser. And I've already got Dream EPG app going grand on my phone too from inside the house.... but if I'm away from the house, I won't have access to the 192.168.xxx.xxx address - right?.

I know my static IP address from outside the house is 83.xx.xxx.xxx.

Given that, is there an app or a setup that I can use to access my Tiviar box from my Android phone when I'm way away from my home network?

You need to portforward the port on your router to the local up of the Tiviar. You will then connect using your public IP

Be warned outside hacking could happen on an open network.

• Advertisement

You need to portforward the port on your router to the local up of the Tiviar. You will then connect using your public IP

Thx! ....Yea, I managed to do port forwarding to look at my CCTV DVR.

Few questions re viewing tru the public IP after port forwarding:

1-What port should I open in the router to allow access to the Tiviar?

2- Do I use the phone or other browser to view the live or recordings on my Tiviar?

3- Do you know of any Android app available for my phone to do the same thing?

4-Maybe I can change the IP on my dream EPG app to view my Tiviar???

Thx! ....Yea, I managed to do port forwarding to look at my CCTV DVR.

Few questions re viewing tru the public IP after port forwarding:

1-What port should I open in the router to allow access to the Tiviar?

2- Do I use the phone or other browser to view the live or recordings on my Tiviar?

3- Do you know of any Android app available for my phone to do the same thing?

4-Maybe I can change the IP on my dream EPG app to view my Tiviar???

You can use dream EPG outside your home. I have it on my phone (to schedule recordings out and about) and tablet (to view in hotels while working away). You can set the openwebif plugin to whatever port you want. I would use 80 for http inside your home and something like 8443 for Https outside (you're most likely already using port 443 for CCTV)

You can use dream EPG outside your home. I have it on my phone (to schedule recordings out and about) and tablet (to view in hotels while working away). You can set the openwebif plugin to whatever port you want. I would use 80 for http inside your home and something like 8443 for Https outside (you're most likely already using port 443 for CCTV)

DAM cheek no more than 5km due to lockdown:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D

greasepalm wrote: »
    DAM cheek no more than 5km due to lockdown:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D

I stay away for work sometimes, it's easier than a 3 hour each way journey to eat dinner and return again the next morning. My work is classed as essential services, the HSE is a client

Thanks ...... I'm struggling at trying to get my Technicolor TG588v router to open port 8443. See attached pic that shows its port forwarding screen.

The first 2 rows shows my CCTV DVR port fwd settings; it works fine from my phone, inside and outside the house

For my Tiviar box, I added a "new port mapping" and I choose the Name "Https Server" from a dropdown menu, TCP from the dropdown shown, and set the 8443 port and IP LAN address as shown (192.168.1.192).

But when I use the CanYouSeeMe.org open port check tool, it returns an error of "I could not see your service on 83.xx.xxx.xxx on port (8443)

Also, the attached "Error2.jpg" is a dream EPG phone screen-shot of when I try to connect to the external IP address.

Btw - I tried the same settings for Port 843, but same result. So I'm schtuck!

Thanks ...... I'm struggling at trying to get my Technicolor TG588v router to open port 8443. See attached pic that shows its port forwarding screen.

The first 2 rows shows my CCTV DVR port fwd settings; it works fine from my phone, inside and outside the house

For my Tiviar box, I added a "new port mapping" and I choose the Name "Https Server" from a dropdown menu, TCP from the dropdown shown, and set the 8443 port and IP LAN address as shown (192.168.1.192).

But when I use the CanYouSeeMe.org open port check tool, it returns an error of "I could not see your service on 83.xx.xxx.xxx on port (8443)

Also, the attached "Error2.jpg" is a dream EPG phone screen-shot of when I try to connect to the external IP address.

Btw - I tried the same settings for Port 843, but same result. So I'm schtuck!

Did you set openwebif to listen on that port?

Did you set openwebif to listen on that port?

Of course not ... that'd be smart! Apologies!

So I went in to the OpenWebif config on the Tiviar, and I have:
    HTTP port was already set to 00080
    Enable HTTP Authentication - no
    Enable HTTPS - yes
    HTTPS port - 004443 (I assume that's the same as 443?)
    Enable HTTPS Authentication - no
    Require client cert for HTTPS - no
    Without auth only local access is allowed! (does that mean no access from outside?)
    Enable access from VPNs - no

So I'm getting further with my phone as a result of changing some of the above settings:

Phone Settings:
    Profile Type - External Access/ Transcoding
    Connection: Receiver 83.xx.xxx.xxx Port 443
    Use https: - checked
    Use Login; - checked
    User: Root
    Password 1234 (I set that too in the Tiviar Network settings)

Next Screen:
    FTP Connection
    USE FTP FOR ADDITIONAL FEATURES - Not checked
    Receiver: 83.xx.xxx/xxx Port 21 (all grayedout)
    USER and Password (as above)

Next Screen:
    Streaming
    Disable for this Profile - unchecked
    Receiver- 83.xx.xxx.xxx
    Port (Service) - 8001
    Port (Movies) 443
    Streaming Application
    Ask Every Time
    Use Login (Stream) - Checked
    User and Password - as above)
    Use HTTPS for Movies - Checked
    Enable Transcoding - unchecked

When I hit next screen arrow, it returns an error:
    "Could not connect to the provided streaming host and port (if you connect from outside your network; open the firewall to 83.xx.xxx.xxx:8001) Do you want to continue anyway - yes/no
    If I select "yes", the next screen just gives me the settings where I can edit/add/delete a profile etc.

So I think I'm almost there, but no cigar yet.

Of course not ... that'd be smart! Apologies!

So I went in to the OpenWebif config on the Tiviar, and I have:
    HTTP port was already set to 00080
    Enable HTTP Authentication - no
    Enable HTTPS - yes
    HTTPS port - 004443 (I assume that's the same as 443?)
    Enable HTTPS Authentication - no
    Require client cert for HTTPS - no
    Without auth only local access is allowed! (does that mean no access from outside?)
    Enable access from VPNs - no

So I'm getting further with my phone as a result of changing some of the above settings:

Phone Settings:
    Profile Type - External Access/ Transcoding
    Connection: Receiver 83.xx.xxx.xxx Port 443
    Use https: - checked
    Use Login; - checked
    Password 1234 (I set that too in the Tiviar Network settings)

Next Screen:
    FTP Connection
    USE FTP FOR ADDITIONAL FEATURES - Not checked
    Receiver: 83.xx.xxx/xxx Port 21 (all grayedout)
    USER and Password (as above)

Next Screen:
    Streaming
    Disable for this Profile - unchecked
    Receiver- 83.xx.xxx.xxx
    Port (Service) - 8001
    Port (Movies) 443
    Streaming Application
    Ask Every Time
    Use Login (Stream) - Checked
    User and Password - as above)
    Use HTTPS for Movies - Checked
    Enable Transcoding - unchecked

When I hit next screen arrow, it returns an error:
    "Could not connect to the provided streaming host and port (if you connect from outside your network; open the firewall to 83.xx.xxx.xxx:8001) Do you want to continue anyway - yes/no
    If I select "yes", the next screen just gives me the settings where I can edit/add/delete a profile etc.

So I think I'm almost there, but no cigar yet.

Update: I changed the Port (Service) - 8001 number from 8001 to 443 and it doesn't give me the error. I can see the channels within the bouquets but it looks like I get a blank picture when I try to stream - the apps that it gives me for streaming are
    Video Player
    Play on Receiver
    Photos
    Perfect Player

The phone does stream from within the house when I use the Photos app

Go back the way it was. Port forward 8001 also. I said use port 8443 as I expected your CCTV to be using 443. It doesn't matter which, just make the rule suit the plug-in settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Password 1234

I sincerely hope these are only for testing. As greasepalm warned above, there are active servers constantly searching for access to TV boxes just like yours both to pirate your stream or as back doors into your home network. Be very careful with your security.

Advertisement