Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord always draging heels to gets things fixed

Options
  • 03-11-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has been renting for 7 years in a house not far from where the landlord lives. everytime theres an issue, its always taking weeks or months to fix. Washing machine was broke, took 4 weeks to fix. Dryer broke, took 6 months to fix. Oil burner isnt up to standard and is always causing problems. Cooker broke, weeks to get it fixed and now theres issues with it. The latest issue it took 10 days to get fixed. Another small issue with it and its now 8 days and noone has called to fix even though he has been constantly onto him.

Would it be unreasonable of him to get his own plumber to fix it then send the bill.

There is also a problem with one of the windows in the back bedroom which doesnt close properly and is constantly a cold room even when heating is on. HE is holding of telling the landlord because he doesnt want to put to much on him at once although ive been saying other. Its the landlords DUTY to have a house in working order , esp in the cold months. This friend has 3 kids living in the house with him.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

He needs to make the complaints in writing. He should take photographs and sent letters keeping copies and proof of posting. After that, he should complain to the RTB if nothing is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

On threshold. There is a minimum response to fixing issues depending on severity.

Is the tenant paying market rate also? If he is. Then I would as another poster mentioned. Get it all in writing, so you are basically prepping everything in case it needs to go to RTB. If it’s below market rate,The new rpz does act as a discentive to do any work to the place as they can’t increase the rent with the extra work. Washing machine and windows however are min requirement. Dryer may not depending on if you live in a house or apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's a lot of problems.

Is the house in a general bad state of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's a lot of problems.

Is the house in a general bad state of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Ive known friends in similar situations that told their landlords that due to the constant stalling on these issues. and in light of the inherent health issues in the rental property, that if its not fixed by x date... they would source the repairs themselves and take the costs out of the next months rent...

they were amazed how quickly the landlord fixed the issues after the message was sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

OP are you dealing with the landlord directly or through a letting agency?

The reason I ask this is I am a landlord and have always authorised all repairs immediately however the agency can forget to chase up their repairs guys etc and things fall between the cracks. I have had to chase the letting agency repeatedly as I hadn't received an invoice to pay and therefore had to assume the works weren't carried out. I admit not all landlords are as efficient as I am and you may just be dealing with someone who won't action it until they are held to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

Also I think your friend needs to put in writing a list of all that needs repairing and the date it was first reported and request it be fixed immediately. There should be complete transparency and not reporting a window that doesn't close properly is not the way to go. The landlord should be informed immediately.

Advertisement