Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon April 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Been a bit patchy on mileage so far this year (nothing more than 16 miles), so put in a steady 30 miles yesterday at 4hr marathon pace. Happy to say it was very comfortable, with no after effects so hopefully will hit my sub-6 target for the ultra. Assuming that it's not too hot, windy etc!

Looking forward to it now, hope to meet a few boardsies along the way!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

accuweather has sunday as 8c so fresh and rainy.

quick question. Im flying out that night from dublin so how soon after the finish do buses start heading back to galway/outghterard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

judeboy101 wrote: »
    accuweather has sunday as 8c so fresh and rainy.

quick question. Im flying out that night from dublin so how soon after the finish do buses start heading back to galway/outghterard?

I won't take notice of any weather forecast more than 3 days out, and accuweather's record is particularly patchy in that respect.

As for the buses, they leave as soon as one is full. If you're in the top 10 you might have to wait a bit, other than that there will be a bus leaving every few minutes.

I won't take notice of any weather forecast more than 3 days out, and accuweather's record is particularly patchy in that respect.

As for the buses, they leave as soon as one is full. If you're in the top 10 you might have to wait a bit, other than that there will be a bus leaving every few minutes.

Won't have to worry bout top 10, lol. Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Balls, I really should have paid attention to where number collection would be!

It used to be out on the ring roads and now I see its right down by the train station! Its going to be an awful pain to get to on Saturday via car coming from Kilkenny :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Cabaal wrote: »
    Balls, I really should have paid attention to where number collection would be!

It used to be out on the ring roads and now I see its right down by the train station! Its going to be an awful pain to get to on Saturday via car coming from Kilkenny :(

Didn't get yours posted?
    Looks wet by the way...

Oh sh*t .....

477574.jpg

Oh sh*t .....

477574.jpg

I wouldn't take any notice of any weather forecast more than 3hrs before a race.

Yep Thomas,
    not a repeat of 2016 (wind was stronger) but not far. The list of DNFs was impressive in 2016 it was truly brutal, worse conditions I ever ran in.

Wind chill in the rain is always worse.

echancrure wrote: »
    Yep Thomas,
    not a repeat of 2016 (wind was stronger) but not far. The list of DNFs was impressive in 2016 it was truly brutal, worse conditions I ever ran in.

Should I wear a hat? :-)

• Advertisement

Jeez, I might have to up my planned pace, just to get in out of the rain quicker! Headwind on the last leg could be testing... looking forward to it though!

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Should I wear a hat? :-)

Maybe one of those :D
    sp1267_1_cloudzoom.jpg

BBC predicting 40 mph wind
    Met Eireann 25 kph wind

Somebody is getting it wrong, I hope it's the bbc

BBC predicting 40 mph wind
    Met Eireann 25 kph wind

Somebody is getting it wrong, I hope it's the bbc

That's brexit for ya

For memory's sake the weather 3 years ago is below.
    It looks frighteningly similar.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99389128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Yep Thomas,

Sigh it's looking a bit grim for sure :( Oh well I survived (just) 2016 so will just have to HTFU as a friend helpfully said to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Good Luck all, unfortunately cannot make it this year due to Family commitments.

Dont worry about the weather and enjoy the roads and scenery, dragging and encouraging one-another around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi folks. I'm down for the half myself (averaging 15km a week since Jan 1st :cool: ) and i was wondering if there were any good race reports knocking around from previous years, especially 2016, it might just help with getting my head around what to expect. Cheers.

Hi folks. I'm down for the half myself (averaging 15km a week since Jan 1st :cool: ) and i was wondering if there were any good race reports knocking around from previous years, especially 2016, it might just help with getting my head around what to expect. Cheers.

Ah Ah :D there's NO GOOD reports from 2016 !

The post race 2016 thread starts there:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057530977&page=7

Ah Ah :D there's NO GOOD reports from 2016 !

The post race 2016 thread starts there:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057530977&page=7

I’m truly sorry I read that now!

• Advertisement

Status yellow https://www.met.ie/warnings

A wee bit breezy with an extra sprinkling of rain in mountainous regions . Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

In case there was any doubt (hope!) left :(

477696.jpg

Very best of luck to everyone, in my best bit of Hill Street Blues nostalgia - Let's be careful out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

Odd little question but Is there a risk of the paper numbers & chip distintegrating in the wind & rain ? Could u keep it covered under a rain jacket or does it need to be visible all the time?

HurlyBurly wrote: »
    Odd little question but Is there a risk of the paper numbers & chip distintegrating in the wind & rain ? Could u keep it covered under a rain jacket or does it need to be visible all the time?

I’ve lamented mine just in case!

Do machines on nuns island allow u pay for full day?

I’ve lamented mine just in case!

I'm lamenting the fact that I entered at all, looking at the weather right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Living close to the route here and its gonna be rough if anythink like this evening. Strong winds and lashing rain at the moment :(
    www.ventusky.com giving Maam cross as getting 55Km gusts and steady 30Km wind speeds tomorrow. and very heavy rain promised :( Temps will be around 7C and feel colder :( Its gonna be rough out there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I photographed the Rock and Road in Kinvara a couple of weeks back, it was cold, wet and windy. Got hired to shoot the Connemarathon, looking out the window....it's cold wet and windy again:)

:D I’m just a dumb ass!!

• Advertisement

About to head for the bus. I'm a bit apprehensive about the second half after cramping at mile 20 in training, but I'll get through it.

It's going to be a bit wet but I've run through worse.

Good luck everyone, and enjoy!

Advertisement