Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G4 LED replacement bulb

Options
  • 04-11-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

I have a display cabinet from Argos that has a light mounted in the top that takes a G4 12V 10W halogen bulb. I'd like to replace it with an LED equivalent not least because it generates quite a bit of heat and I'm concerned this might cause damage to what's being displayed in the cabinet.

I've Googled it and it appears such things do exist, but as I only want one, the p&p from online sources like Amazon for something so small is ridiculous so would I be able to find such a thing in a B&M store, or an electrical wholesaler?

Secondly I've read stories about problems with LEDs flickering when using them as replacements for conventional bulbs fed by 12V transformers. Is that true and is there any way around it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A 12V LED lamp requires a 12V LED driver. The standard 12V transformers used for halogen lamps generally won’t work.

Advertisement