Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift erg mode

Options
  • 04-11-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I'm new to zwift and smart turbo trainers.

If you go to ride in zwift, and 'just ride' will the free ride around the route at that time work in erg mode? I can't say I feel it as much as I do if I do a workout.

Is there a way to just ride in erg mode?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

AlanD wrote: »
    will the free ride around the route at that time work in erg mode?

Yes, the avatars with the screen in front of them are in ERG mode. And in the rider list, the ones with the little graph next to their name are also in ERG mode.
    Is there a way to just ride in erg mode?

Just choose a training workout, its the opposite of "Just Ride".
    You can make your own workout to suit your needs.

You can also use your trainer's app to set the resistance to X Watts, and turn off "Controllable Trainer" in Zwift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Yes, the avatars with the screen in front of them are in ERG mode. And in the rider list, the ones with the little graph next to their name are also in ERG mode.

Just choose a training workout, its the opposite of "Just Ride".
    You can make your own workout to suit your needs.

You can also use your trainer's app to set the resistance to X Watts, and turn off "Controllable Trainer" in Zwift.

So are you saying that just ride has no erg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

So are you saying that just ride has no erg

Erg mode means the power is set by the app. How would it know what to set the power to if you didn't program something, like in a structured session for example?

Erg mode means the power is set by the app. How would it know what to set the power to if you didn't program something, like in a structured session for example?

OK good point. The penny might be dropped here with me. Erg mode is setting target power only.

I think I might have been misled by something I saw in zwift. There are sections with gradient.
    I presumed that a 7% gradient would give me some resistance. If not, With 'just ride', what's the point.

What have sections with gradient?

Why do just ride with no resistance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you are not in erg mode, and come to a hill in just ride mode, the resistance on your trainer should increase to simulate the hill. changing gears would allow you to make it easier or harder
    erg mode would mean the resistance would stay the same hill or not, and changing gear will have no effect either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yeah as mossy said.
    Basically in EGR mode the trainer is instructed by the software to alter the resistance to ensure you are kicking out the power required.

Eg if you are in a workout and you have to work at 250watts for say a minute(interval) then the trainer will keep ramping up the resistance to get 250watts out of you... if you slow down it will increase the resistance, alternatively if you speed up your cadence it will reduce resistance, all the time ensuring you are hitting the number it wants.
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Yeah as mossy said.
    Basically in EGR mode the trainer is instructed by the software to alter the resistance to ensure you are kicking out the power required.

Eg if you are in a workout and you have to work at 250watts for say a minute(interval) then the trainer will keep ramping up the resistance to get 250watts out of you... if you slow down it will increase the resistance, alternatively if you speed up your cadence it will reduce resistance, all the time ensuring you are hitting the number it wants.
    Marty.

Thanks lads, this is helpful.

I'm not sure I'm getting that hill resistance in just ride mode. Connection is via Bluetooth at the moment which I heard can be flaky. Ant+ dongle on the way.

Must spend a bit more time in workout mode too. Maybe resistance is there and it just doesn't feel like much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Next time it's on wattopia do the pretzel, some nice climbs on that,if you don't feel the climb it's not working right

mossym wrote: »
    Next time it's on wattopia do the pretzel, some nice climbs on that,if you don't feel the climb it's not working right

OK thanks. Will try it.

Ant+ dongle arrived today so will get it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

I'm not sure I'm getting that hill resistance in just ride mode. Connection is via Bluetooth at the moment which I heard can be flaky. Ant+ dongle on the way.

Bluetooth connection was grand for me, then started taking longer to find devices, then resistance never changed. Switched to Ant+ and everything just works now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't forget that you might not be feeling the true resistance on an incline or decline if the user settings are not at 100% on the main menu.

Advertisement