Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a make up make over

Options
  • 04-11-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Ok Ladies, I need do redo my make up - or start doing make up..

I am 30+ and other than a good foundation I have only ever used high street brand make up (eye shadow etc) - Rimmel etc.. and got some make up brushes on amazon years ago and still use them,.. they are probably crap..

I cannot master my eye shadow - sick of it falling on my foundation..

I am pretty crap when it comes to applying make up in general.

So I would like a one stop shop where I could go to a beauty counter, and get a make over and come away with new make up, brushes and skills on how to apply..

I don't wanna spend a bomb - a brand in Debenhams or boots maybe - not BT's..

I am not looking for fake lashes etc... just some nice makeup to suit me - and I don't wear it often - just when out and about or on a special occasion etc..

Also I like liquid foundation - not powder..

i don't wanna make it complicated or else I will just avoid..

Who would you recommend?

Also, I don't wanna spend too much time on this.. but action needs to be taken.
    Like I don't wanna be watching videos on youtube etc,.

Thanks in advance, S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If I were you I'd look up some local freelance MUA's work on instagram or FB, and find someone who's work and look you like.
    She will have no loyalty to any particular brand and you will get the most honest, helpful advice.
    She will be able to analyse your skin, recommend you products and tell you what will and won't suit you. She'll also be able to give you advice and tips on how to apply the make up yourself.

The problem with makeup counters, even in Boots, is that you are tied to a brand and the person helping you will be earning commission, so you might not get the most helpful or honest advice.
    As well as that, as someone who is addicted to make up, my makeup is a mixed bag of different brands.
    For example, I love MAC foundation, but hate their mascaras. I love Benefit for mascaras, but find their eyeshadows rubbish. I love Urban Decay for eyeshadows, but wouldn't like their lipsticks.
    Am I making sense?

I know there is an MUA local to me who offers such a service for a reasonable enough price. I'm sure if you contacted an MUA you'd be able to do a deal with them for a similar arrangement.

And just my own little tip for the eyeshadow: Prime your face first, then fill in your brows (if that's something you do.)
    Next put a thin layer of light coloured concealer all over the eyelid and surrounding area as a base.
    When the concealer is dry, apply your eyeshadow/liner/mascara as normal. Clean any fall out with a wipe. Then apply your foundation.
    You will have a seamless result and no fall out. I would do quite dramatic eye looks and this is how I would apply my own makeup.
    Hope that helps! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Brown Thomas do beauty personal shopping service that covers all the counters. I know you mentioned that you didn't want BT, but the service might be useful for info on how to apply and what colours to look out for, even if you then go off and purchase similar items elsewhere. They have packages for €80 that are redeemable against products so you could get your foundation and an eyeshadow palette, or liner & mascara out of that https://www.brownthomas.com/be-inspired-style-features/beauty-style-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If I were you I'd look up some local freelance MUA's work on instagram or FB, and find someone who's work and look you like.
    She will have no loyalty to any particular brand and you will get the most honest, helpful advice.
    She will be able to analyse your skin, recommend you products and tell you what will and won't suit you. She'll also be able to give you advice and tips on how to apply the make up yourself.

The problem with makeup counters, even in Boots, is that you are tied to a brand and the person helping you will be earning commission, so you might not get the most helpful or honest advice.
    As well as that, as someone who is addicted to make up, my makeup is a mixed bag of different brands.
    For example, I love MAC foundation, but hate their mascaras. I love Benefit for mascaras, but find their eyeshadows rubbish. I love Urban Decay for eyeshadows, but wouldn't like their lipsticks.
    Am I making sense?

I know there is an MUA local to me who offers such a service for a reasonable enough price. I'm sure if you contacted an MUA you'd be able to do a deal with them for a similar arrangement.

And just my own little tip for the eyeshadow: Prime your face first, then fill in your brows (if that's something you do.)
    Next put a thin layer of light coloured concealer all over the eyelid and surrounding area as a base.
    When the concealer is dry, apply your eyeshadow/liner/mascara as normal. Clean any fall out with a wipe. Then apply your foundation.
    You will have a seamless result and no fall out. I would do quite dramatic eye looks and this is how I would apply my own makeup.

Hope that helps! :)

thanks for that - food for thought - or make up rather..
    Twee. wrote: »
    Brown Thomas do beauty personal shopping service that covers all the counters. I know you mentioned that you didn't want BT, but the service might be useful for info on how to apply and what colours to look out for, even if you then go off and purchase similar items elsewhere. They have packages for €80 that are redeemable against products so you could get your foundation and an eyeshadow palette, or liner & mascara out of that https://www.brownthomas.com/be-inspired-style-features/beauty-style-team/

thanks i checked that link out, €60 for 45 min? is that what you were referring to?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

sporina wrote: »

thanks i checked that link out, €60 for 45 min? is that what you were referring to?

If you scroll across (arrow to right of image) from that one there's another page of prices, where the €80 one is, "Beauty Essentials Lesson". From what I can see the €60 offer isn't redeemable against products and is just an application rather than specifically teaching you.

Advertisement