Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad batteries and consumer law

Options
  • 04-11-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I’ve an iPad Air 2 bought direct from Apple.con that’s approx 3 years old at this stage and the battery is pretty worn out. It’s otherwise perfect, and the current iPad model isn’t appreciably better, so I don’t see the point in replacing it.

The out of warranty battery replacement is €99, but Apple specifically say “warranty or consumer law” on the site. Under Irish consumer law, if the device doesn’t perform for a “reasonable lifetime” the seller is still on the hook for a repair, even if it’s out of warranty. Has anyone used this to get a free out of warranty battery replacement out of Apple?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Doubtful as you would need to show it was a defect present at the time of purchase. A battery wearing out isn't a defect. All batteries do it. Given the poor quality of some of the batteries Apple has been using lately, 3 years was good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Doubtful as you would need to show it was a defect present at the time of purchase. A battery wearing out isn't a defect. All batteries do it. Given the poor quality of some of the batteries Apple has been using lately, 3 years was good going.

I agree. 3 years is good going from a battery, and this is firmly in "chancing my arm" territory. A removable battery is a consumable item, but an integral non-replaceable part of a device failing before the "reasonable lifetime" is a defect. I'm just asking if anyone had tried that approach with Apple ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They can run a diagnostic on your iPad’s battery remotely. This will let them know if it’s consumed through natural use or failed (hardware error) which is much less likely.

It might even pass the diagnostics.

You’re not in a great situation looking for a free battery replacement unless it fails their test and you might get someone to accept your claim.

Call them and see.

Advertisement