Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or Buy Xbox X

Options
  • 04-11-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I currently have a gaming PC that I use a lot. It has a Rx 480 8GB and i5-4690k.
    I have never had any problems gaming and play most games on high or ultra settings on a 1080 144hz freesync monitor.

My TV decided to pack in during the week so I replaced it with a 50" LG 4K HDR TV. Im seriously considering getting the new Xbox One X to play 4k games. The cost will be around €500 to get the xbox unless I come across a great deal when Im in the States for Black Friday.

I did not realize how good 4K looks until I watched a few shows on netflix in 4K.

I dont know whether I should upgrade the PC with €500 worth of parts or just buy the xbox and use both.

What do people think? Is 4k Gaming worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I currently have a gaming PC that I use a lot. It has a Rx 480 8GB and i5-4690k.
    I have never had any problems gaming and play most games on high or ultra settings on a 1080 144hz freesync monitor.

My TV decided to pack in during the week so I replaced it with a 50" LG 4K HDR TV. Im seriously considering getting the new Xbox One X to play 4k games. The cost will be around €500 to get the xbox unless I come across a great deal when Im in the States for Black Friday.

I did not realize how good 4K looks until I watched a few shows on netflix in 4K.

I dont know whether I should upgrade the PC with €500 worth of parts or just buy the xbox and use both.

What do people think? Is 4k Gaming worth it?

You can get a One X, BLOPs 4, Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 for £400 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JP76PM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZzX3BbFGMH093

There was an option to get RDR2 instead of BLOPs but showing out of stock at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your current PC is pretty much on-par with the Xbox One X in terms of 4K capability as it is. Slightly weaker GPU, better CPU.

The thing is, when people talking about "4K Gaming" on PC, it means true 4K, high-ultra, at 60fps.

When you talk about "4K Gaming" on console, it means 1080p-1440p-4k dynamic resolution, medium settings, usually at 30fps lock due to weak CPU power.

So they are not really comparable, and the Xbox One X is not really going to give you much better overall quality on your PC if you hooked it up to the TV.

As to what to do? That's up to you - if you want an Xbox One X, it's well worth it, it's a great console and plenty going for it, and best console for performance too.

If your concern is purely quality 4K gaming - sell your RX480 and get a new GTX1070ti for around €420, and games will look better than they do on the One X (and run at higher framerate).

If you can spare a little extra, upgrade to a 2nd hand i7-4770 or 4790 would do wonders too, though a 4690K is still OK in most games overclocked but struggles lately (in terms of holding 60fps).

Your current PC is pretty much on-par with the Xbox One X in terms of 4K capability as it is. Slightly weaker GPU, better CPU.

The thing is, when people talking about "4K Gaming" on PC, it means true 4K, high-ultra, at 60fps.

When you talk about "4K Gaming" on console, it means 1080p-1440p-4k dynamic resolution, medium settings, usually at 30fps lock due to weak CPU power.

So they are not really comparable, and the Xbox One X is not really going to give you much better overall quality on your PC if you hooked it up to the TV.

As to what to do? That's up to you - if you want an Xbox One X, it's well worth it, it's a great console and plenty going for it, and best console for performance too.

If your concern is purely quality 4K gaming - sell your RX480 and get a new GTX1070ti for around €450, and games will look better than they do on the One X (and run at higher framerate).

If you can spare a little extra, upgrade to a 2nd hand i7-4770 or 4790 would do wonders too, though a 4690K is still OK in most games overclocked but struggles lately (in terms of holding 60fps).

Someone posted a 1070ti for €360 in the bargain thread from Amazon France.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

Thanks everyone,

For some reason I thought the Xbox X was firing out True 4k at 60FPS. After reading the replies on this thread I will just upgrade the GPU and CPU in the next few weeks.I might as well throw an SSD in to it as well.

I played the BF beta on PC and played average, When I played a few rounds on my sons xbox I was usually top of the leader board. I found it much easier on console. My reflexes cant keep up with the younger generation anymore :eek:

The i7 4770s are selling for about €150 incl delivery. I wonder if my money would be better spent upgrading the Board and CPU? Or would the 4700 hold me over for another year or 2.

I only plan on playing BF5 when it is released. I had the beta for a while as I payed or Origin Access Premier and never really had any problems and a good FPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A Ryzen 2600 would be a decent upgrade over 4690K due to extra thread count (helps in big multiplayer battles & prevents micro-stutter), however unlike a simple 4770 drop-in you'd need to spend extra for DDR4 RAM as well.

Either option is fine, and tbh you'd get more value selling the 4690K & using that to fund a GPU upgrade as well.

For BF5 an i7 will be a big improvement, BF stutters badly on older i5's. You don't need a platform change; an i7-4770 is still an excellent gaming CPU and will be good for years. Don't get the 4770S though. Get the proper i7-4770 or 4790.

I have an i7-4790 here spare, if you're interested you can PM me, I'd be willing to let it go for €140.
    For some reason I thought the Xbox X was firing out True 4k at 60FPS

It can in some older games, and less intensive ones. I think Halo 5 runs at 4k60, COD too. But the more intensive games don't, it's usually either 4K30 (at PC medium settings equivalent), 1080p60, or somewhere in between with dynamic resolution scaling (changes from 1080p to 1440p to 4k and in between depending on whats happening on screen) and 30fps lock.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

4K30 @ medium settings is probably pushing it a bit. More like low settings, with most of the nice extra graphics settings all turned off.

Or with funny mishmashes of things. Red Dead 2 is billed as having HDR for example, but it's not HDR.

4k60 is even worse.

At the end of the day, consoles are ~500 quid hardware. Even accounting for the fact that they buy in bulk and optimise etc etc, they still cannot work miracles.

PC will always beat console for graphics and performance, but the reason people buy console is for convenience and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Everything they state about consoles is a lie. It's not 4k, it's not HDR.

It's still great what they achieve with limited hardware but it's not exactly what they state it is.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Everything they state about consoles is a lie. It's not 4k, it's not HDR.

It's still great what they achieve with limited hardware but it's not exactly what they state it is.

As someone who owns the One X and PS4 Pro, it's what really irritates me about the marketing success of both.

You've people generally going "4K gaming for €400, sure a PC of the same spec would cost me €1500!"

It's basically like comparing a 1.5GB "1080P" video file vs a UHD Blu-Ray and claiming they're both the same.

Realistically a €600 Ryzen 1400 + RX580 PC easily beats either console...but people don't see or accept that.

I get that it's about more than that. Consoles have exclusives, they're largely hassle free, and they've a slew of other benefits. And they're great for what they are.

It's not always a comparison battle....but it's the misinformation irritates me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's basically like comparing a 1.5GB "1080P" video file vs a UHD Blu-Ray and claiming they're both the same.

I wouldn't ever call them 'the same', but there's some fantastic encodes out there that I'm perfectly happy to have on my media drives, and I'm a stickler for quality/framerate/bitrate (usually more than 1.5GB to be fair). There's not many films I'm willing to drop 50/60GB for by having them as a remux file.

I have an i7-4790 here spare, if you're interested you can PM me, I'd be willing to let it go for €140.

Thanks TerrorFirmer,

If you still have it end of December, Start of Jan il take it off you. Im heading to Florida at the end of this month for 2 weeks with the family then straight in to Christmas. I cant really justify buying it before then.

Which brings me to the next question. There was an offer with the Xbox One S and Red Dead 2 for €250 in Smyths recently. I saw the offer on Saturday and thought it would be best to get the One X. After reading the comments here I wont bother with the One X. Il just upgrade the GPU and CPU. But I will also pick up and Xbox as the wife wants to go back gaming to play red dead.

There are some Bargains to be picked up in the States.I have an American Amazon account with a 6 month trial of prime ;)
    Is there any reason why I should not get it there? I know the games are region free so that shouldn't cause any problems. Im not sure if This will be suitable. I use one for my laptop I bought there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Hhugedick

Thanks TerrorFirmer,

If you still have it end of December, Start of Jan il take it off you. Im heading to Florida at the end of this month for 2 weeks with the family then straight in to Christmas. I cant really justify buying it before then.

Which brings me to the next question. There was an offer with the Xbox One S and Red Dead 2 for €250 in Smyths recently. I saw the offer on Saturday and thought it would be best to get the One X. After reading the comments here I wont bother with the One X. Il just upgrade the GPU and CPU. But I will also pick up and Xbox as the wife wants to go back gaming to play red dead.

There are some Bargains to be picked up in the States.I have an American Amazon account with a 6 month trial of prime ;)
    Is there any reason why I should not get it there? I know the games are region free so that shouldn't cause any problems. Im not sure if This will be suitable. I use one for my laptop I bought there.

Jesus I'm browned off with the Xbox but I have an awful horn on me at the moment. To much charlie all weekend. Any suggestions??

Thanks TerrorFirmer,

Jesus I'm browned off with the Xbox but I have an awful horn on me at the moment. To much charlie all weekend. Any suggestions??

Thanks TerrorFirmer,

You will need to buy a new power supply. By the time you add on sales tax, new power supply and the nuisance of transporting something that size and weight home it is probably not worth it.

awec wrote: »
    You will need to buy a new power supply. By the time you add on sales tax, new power supply and the nuisance of transporting something that size and weight home it is probably not worth it.

Ye I agree, it'll cost a fortune to buy a plug converter, it'll set you back at least 6 or 8 euro. Not worth it after having to fork out that much. Yawn

Hhugedick wrote: »
    Ye I agree, it'll cost a fortune to buy a plug converter, it'll set you back at least 6 or 8 euro. Not worth it after having to fork out that much. Yawn

Any figure 8 connector will work.

There is no Sales Tax The size and weight is not really a problem as Myself, my wife and each of the 4 kids have a large and a small suitcase allowance.

Im not 100% if This will be enough, It works fine for the laptop.

Just noticed it's a Xbox One S, that is dual voltage IIRC so should work.

Obviously you are aware of the usual customs caveat, so otherwise seems like an ok deal.

You can get the 2 controller, 1tb S console with red dead on Amazon UK for ~320 euro for what it's worth: clicky. Unless you really want NBA, I'd probably go for this instead.

Obviously you are aware of the usual customs caveat, so otherwise seems like an ok deal.

You can get the 2 controller, 1tb S console with red dead on Amazon UK for ~320 euro for what it's worth: clicky. Unless you really want NBA, I'd probably go for this instead.
    That's not a bad price. I rang smyths tonight and the person I was talking too told me not to buy anything for now. He is about 99% certain the deal with red dead for €250 Will be back before Christmas. The wife doesn't mind waiting. Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement

That's not a bad price. I rang smyths tonight and the person I was talking too told me not to buy anything for now. He is about 99% certain the deal with red dead for €250 Will be back before Christmas. The wife doesn't mind waiting. Thanks for all the help

If your concern is purely quality 4K gaming - sell your RX480 and get a new GTX1070ti for around €420, and games will look better than they do on the One X (and run at higher framerate).

I can get the 1070ti for $400 while im in the US incl shipping from Amazon,maybe less on black Friday, cyber Monday.

Trouble is I have a free sync 144 hz monitor and don't want want tp upgrade to g gsync monitor. Will this make a big difference. I do enjoy having no screen tears.

Advertisement