Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT Swiss 240 Hubs

Options
  • 04-11-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone on here has a pair of FFWD's with the DT Swiss hubs, and if so....

I understand we're supposed to be able to replace the freehub and all the wheel bearings without the need for using any tools.
    AFAIK I *should* be able to just pull the freehub off, obviously with a fair degree of grip and strength (both of which I appear to be sadly lacking, although I was giving it loads I thought!).

Have any of you been able to remove the freehub? I saw one vid but the guy sort of blocked the view and therefore I couldn't see if he had removed the little 'end cap' thing first - either way, I can't get a grip of that cap thing anyway.

just wondering if someone here managed to actually do it? could ship it off to Mayo for the shop to sort it, but it's supposed to be one of the points of paying for the DT Swiss hubs (that ye can DIY it), so I wanted to replace the freehub myself. I managed to damage it somehow, so have to buy a new one

thanks,
    andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Yes you should be able to pull it off and clean and regrease the freehubit. There are a few you tube videos which might help normally shouldn't be too hard to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have FFWD wheels and yes...replacing the bearings/freehub is easy enough. But you have to remove the end caps first!

From memory, you need two 5mm allen keys..

Put one in each end cap and unscrew.
    If the drive side comes off first...just pull the freehub off.
    if the non-drive side comes off, insert a 10mm allen key into the non-drive side and unscrew the drive side end-cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

thanks guys!
    I'll give that another go so...the caps being still in place must have been blocking me, but I couldn't get a good enough grip on them so I thought they might come off with the freehub if I was able to pull hard enough....never thought they might need an allen key to release them but it makes sense because they aren't shaped very well for someone to grip and pull them out.

just was afraid I might damage something if I tried harder (either the wheels, or my poor arms by straining so much! :) )

cheers!

Note: remove the freehub gently. If you pull it off too quickly, you run the risk of the tiny spring loaded pawls flying off.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Note: remove the freehub gently. If you pull it off too quickly, you run the risk of the tiny spring loaded pawls flying off.

Ha! yeah had wondered if it all eventually did release while I was giving it my best Incredible Hulk impression trying to remove it...probably would have been bits flying all over the place! :)

• Advertisement

Well? How did you get on?

Well? How did you get on?

:o
    well....had to work very late yesterday evening so I didn't get to try, but had a go this morning:

it turns out I've the full "tool-free" hubs*, which apparently just 'pop off' easily enough (unless you're me...in which case I just don't seem to have the grip strength).
    *I put in the 4mm allen key and there was nothing for it to grip on to - then the 5mm and 6mm keys were too large.

I refined my YouTube search after you guys said there were a few vids. I found a few that were quite good this time, (the one above being the best I think), but I haven't got a vice at home (which I think I'll need as the caps won't come off as easily as the dude in the above Video does it)...

and here, 28s in:

Anyway, I can just get someone who's got a Vice and put some wood or rubber on it to protect the hubs and then lightly grip the hub and that should pop the caps off then handy enough I hope.

I had been thinking of getting a Vice for years anyway, so I might pick one up as they're handy yokes to have in the shed

So I'm still 'stuck' for the moment - might also get a hand-grip strengthener thing while I'm at it! :o

So my advise was totally useless! :(

you live and learn i suppose.

So my advise was totally useless! :(

you live and learn i suppose.

au contraire! ;)
    no it helped me a lot because I knew then I hadn't got the hubs that needed tools (can imagine if it was the allen-key type, and I'm there trying to pull the caps off from a vice! :eek: )

I'll hopefully get to a vice this evening and be able to pop the caps off and then get it all sorted!

Advertisement