Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling car privately & bank drafts

• 04-11-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Quick question on receiving bank drafts when selling your car privately. Basically what is the best/safest way to do this?

Cash won't work as I'm selling for a fairly large amount (over 15k) so it has to be a bank draft or bank transfer. If I can only meet the buyer on a Saturday morning when most bank branches are closed (and thus I cannot physically lodge the draft as soon as I receive it), should I call the bank issuing the draft to verify with them that it is a legitimate draft? Can the issuing bank do that and is it foolproof?

Otherwise can I ask the buyer to send/text me the bank draft number as soon as he has it (which may be a few days before we meet to handover the car)? Then I call the issuing bank to verify that the draft is legitimate? Is that a reasonable request?

Basically at what stage can I be sure the money is in my account and I can then handover the car?

Never sold a car privately so want to make sure everything is above board.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

Wouldn't be handing over the car until you have the money and it's been cleared. It's 15,000k, nothing to be messed with and you can't trust people. Let the buyer come back for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bank transfer is easier and safer imo.
    Of course it's best to go together into a bank and lodge the money, there will be cameras etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Cash is king

And it will work for 15k

Just be sensible about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wouldn't be handing over the car until you have the money and it's been cleared. It's 15,000k, nothing to be messed with and you can't trust people. Let the buyer come back for the car.

Be careful of this. Banks like to credit your account with the money ASAP but it's not save till the issuing bank confirms the draft is good. So the money might show in your account after a few days but it's not safe for about a week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Verify the bank draft with the issuing bank the day it is issued OP. Confirm the number, amount and payee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

At that value, do the transaction at a bank, on a day thats open. If they want the car they will agree to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I still think cash is better option.
    Much easier to veryfi if it's forged than bank draft.
    Handy and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

For the sake of €15K I'd make the time to meet at the buyers bank and get the draft there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I bought car before for 15k. Gave the seller bank draft and came back a few days later for car. Understood the process so wasn't bothered by wait. I think anybody looking to push to get car straight away would be dodge. That said I had met the man at his house etc etc as opposed to a shop or something.

Verify the bank draft with the issuing bank the day it is issued OP. Confirm the number, amount and payee.

Nothing to stop the person cancelling the draft after they hand it over. The only safe way with drafts, or cheques, is to wait for the issuing bank to confirm it after it's been sent back to them.

• Advertisement

Why do people consider cash as no option with that kind of amounts?

Seems much safer than bank drafts/ transfers/ etc.

Or if not safer, at least instant and reasonably safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bank transfer is safest option - it can't be reversed without your authority.

Then cash.

Wouldn't bother with a draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Well, When I was selling, I gave the buyer the IBAN & BIC. I told him to transfer the money and once I had it, take the car away. At worst it's overnight, at best its instant (if the same bank).

The buyer had no problem with that as I couldn't come back and say that you gave be dud notes, or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CiniO wrote: »
    Why do people consider cash as no option with that kind of amounts?

Seems much safer than bank drafts/ transfers/ etc.

Or if not safer, at least instant and reasonably safe.

It's a lot of money to be carrying around, either party could feel under risk that the other will try to take the cash from them. Also money laundering issues when lodging that much cash in a bank.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bank drafts can only be cancelled through loss or theft. It's not like a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As above.

A bank draft means the bank promises to pay the person, not you.
    This is why you buy the bank draft from your bank.

First you pay your bank for the draft.
    Then the bank pays the person holding the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

As with earlier posters 15k isn't a huge amount these days but it's a lot to lose especially with a fake bank draft...if person buying is genuine simply take a small deposit and let them return with the balance..otherwise I would accept a cheque or draft etc etc..BUT would keep the car until all funds are securely in my bank account.. and yes cash is king but ensure the notes are all genuine..
    If the buyer is honest & genuine they should have no issue with one of my payment options above..however if they have issues at least you will still have your assett.. lots of gangsters out there be extra careful...oh and as a previous poster mentioned ensure that funds have actually transferred from the buyer's bank.. otherwise you could be left wondering where your car is a week later .. also delay sending transfer of ownership to shannon until payment is definately gone through..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

biko wrote: »
    As above.

A bank draft means the bank promises to pay the person, not you.
    This is why you buy the bank draft from your bank.

First you pay your bank for the draft.
    Then the bank pays the person holding the draft.

You also have to pay a fee when getting one!

Bank drafts can only be cancelled through loss or theft. It's not like a cheque.

And what's to stop the person saying they lost it or it was stolen after they hand it over?

Del2005 wrote: »
    And what's to stop the person saying they lost it or it was stolen after they hand it over?

Nothing, although that would be fraudulant.

p.s. The issuing bank will have an account and details for the buyer, and they can be chased legally.

• Advertisement

Nothing, although that would be fraudulant.

p.s. The issuing bank will have an account and details for the buyer, and they can be chased legally.

The fact that they are trying to get a car without paying shows how much they worry about fraud. In this country there's no real way to chase up private individuals for fraud or theft and the fact that you gave them the vehicle without treat means that you have very little comeback.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The fact that they are trying to get a car without paying shows how much they worry about fraud. In this country there's no real way to chase up private individuals for fraud or theft and the fact that you gave them the vehicle without treat means that you have very little comeback.

You chase the bank.

p.s. In reality you can go to any branch of the bank and get cash on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bought a motor during the summer for cash, more than €18k.

Bank we’re very hesitant to give it out to me, j had to insist it was my money and I wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

You cannot check with bank if a bank draft is legit as that would go against data protection for them to tell you .

Even if you lodge the draft it takes a few days to clear .

If they are out driving and the gear box goes in the car do you think the buyers are not going to cancel the draft ?

I recently sold my car for that price and we asked the buyers to take draft back to bank and transfer the money directly into my account that morning and I handed the car over only when money was in our account.

Gonad wrote:
    You cannot check with bank if a bank draft is legit as that would go against data protection for them to tell you .

Nonsense

"Hi could you please confirm that a draft number 63577538 from your bank made payable to Mr. Henry Ford III for €25000 is valid".

There's no d.p. issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Nonsense

"Hi could you please confirm that a draft number 63577538 from your bank made payable to Mr. Henry Ford III for €25000 is valid".

There's no d.p. issue there.

Well then maybe the agents I spoke to on the phone didn’t know what they was talking about. I asked that if I took the draft could I call the bank and check if draft was legit . He advised that with GDPR they cannot confirm that . So the only way you know is to go to bank and lodge it and wait for it to clear .

My question to them was then once I lodged that draft if it could not be cancelled and they said it was not 100 % true . It can be cancelled still . The person just has to bring their receipt to the bank and say they want to cancel it for whatever reason .

Until the money is in your account a bank draft is only apiece of paper . Safer than a cheque but not guaranteed payment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Bank Drafts are pre-paid they clear the same a s a regular transfer

cheques take longer as they have to be presented for payment

gwalk wrote: »
    Bank Drafts are pre-paid they clear the same a s a regular transfer

cheques take longer as they have to be presented for payment

Correct.

A bank draft is essentially cash.

Correct.

A bank draft is essentially cash.

Essentially yes.
    But has this big disadvantage of being hard to verify being real or fake, which cash is easy to check.

• Advertisement
Advertisement