Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 6a tools

Options
  • 04-11-2018 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

I've wired my house with Cat6a cables and apparently the usual cat 5 cable strippers etc won't work, as Cat6a is thicker.

Does anyone know where I can get the relevant tools? Crimpers etc.

I have the modules for the wall but the cables are currently hanging loose.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I've wired my house with Cat6a cables and apparently the usual cat 5 cable strippers etc won't work, as Cat6a is thicker.

Does anyone know where I can get the relevant tools? Crimpers etc.

I have the modules for the wall but the cables are currently hanging loose.

Cheers

You shouldn't need a specific cable stripper. If you're careful you could score the outer jacket with a Stanley knife, making sure not to cut into the insulation on the pairs. Wiggle the outer jacket back and forth at the cut and it should pull off.

If you are terminating on wall plates is it a punch down tool you need? If so I got this one on Amazon and used it a fair amount on Cat6 with no issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-Punch-Krone-Blade-TC-PDT/dp/B0000AZK4D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541366864&sr=8-3&keywords=punchdown+tool

They also had a Trendnet cable crimper which I also purchased but haven't really used it. It has a nice ratcheting action but Amazon seem to no longer stock it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-RJ-45-RJ-12-RJ-11-TC-CT68/dp/B0000AZK4G/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Also I found a tester like this invaluable. You might think you've terminated every point correctly but one wire out of place will cause issues on your network. For a fiver it was a great purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocables%C2%AE-Ethernet-Testing-Tester-Remote/dp/B00ESCN8Z0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541367735&sr=8-8&keywords=ethernet+tester

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Also I found a tester like this invaluable. You might think you've terminated every point correctly but one wire out of place will cause issues on your network. For a fiver it was a great purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rhinocables%C2%AE-Ethernet-Testing-Tester-Remote/dp/B00ESCN8Z0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541367735&sr=8-8&keywords=ethernet+tester

Also available here

https://www.freetv.ie/rj45-network-cable-tester/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I actually tried practicing with a Stanley blade on a spare piece and it didn't go well. Perhaps I need more practice.

I read online that, as CAT6A was a thicker cable, you needed to get more expensive tools. I looked online but couldn't find them, hence why I asked here. But it sounds like I can just get any cat5 compatible tools.

I'll get the punch down tool for the wall panels but I'll prob need to terminate the cables under the stairs. I bought the heads already for that.

Thanks for the link for the cable tester. That'll be something I'll need, and can't go wrong for a fiver!!

I'll have a look at the crimper you linked as well. Is that a good brand? Or is it worth spending a few extra quid on one?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I actually tried practicing with a Stanley blade on a spare piece and it didn't go well. Perhaps I need more practice.

I read online that, as CAT6A was a thicker cable, you needed to get more expensive tools. I looked online but couldn't find them, hence why I asked here. But it sounds like I can just get any cat5 compatible tools.

I'll get the punch down tool for the wall panels but I'll prob need to terminate the cables under the stairs. I bought the heads already for that.

Thanks for the link for the cable tester. That'll be something I'll need, and can't go wrong for a fiver!!

I'll have a look at the crimper you linked as well. Is that a good brand? Or is it worth spending a few extra quid on one?

There should be a drawstring in the cable that you can use to strip it also. Wrap the string round your finger or a screwdriver and pull down to strip the outer jacket, then trim off the split jacket.

I think as you said any Ethernet crimper should theoretically work. I just went by reviews on Amazon. I don't see the need for spending big money on a tool if you are not a professional using it daily. I'd probably buy a cheap enough crimper and try it on some scrap cable and see if you can get satisfactory results.

• Advertisement
Advertisement