Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any witnesses to hit and run on N7/M50 south on Friday evening?

• 04-11-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Long shot here:

Last Friday (2nd November) around 5.30pm I was rear ended in slow moving traffic on the N7 southbound where the traffic from the M50 merges with it. The woman who hit me promptly changed lanes and did a runner up the exit lane to Belgard Rd.

She was in a Silver 00D Yaris. I was in a Black 12D 520D.

I went after her and, with the help of a good samaritan, stopped her and boxed her in. Not a screed of tax or insurance on show in the windscreen. Then she took her two kids out of the car and walked off towards Tallaght. Thanks to the good samaritan the Gards caught her and she admitted driving uninsured, unaccompanied, on a provisional licence.

So my claim is likely to be against the MIB. I have no idea how that usually works but obviously we both left the scene of the accident pretty swiftly, without any witnesses' details of the accident itself.

If anybody saw the shunt I'd really appreciate if you could contact me by PM.

Cheers,
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If she has admitted to the Gardai what more do you need?

Has she admitted hitting the OP's car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Patww79 wrote: »
    Has she admitted hitting the OP's car?

^This

I don't know exactly what she has admitted, so it would help if somebody could corroborate my version.
    The Garda said she is being charged with driving unaccompanied with no insurance. It's only in hindsight I realised they never mentioned the accident or leaving the scene thereof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

I don't think you need to appeal for witnesses

The facts speak for themselves

If you have suffered an injury contact a solicitor and let them deal with the MIBI and Piab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once you have her registration number the MIBI will cover you. What happens, or doesn't happen, to the person who hit you doesn't affect the claim you will be making.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once you have her registration number the MIBI will cover you. What happens, or doesn't happen, to the person who hit you doesn't affect the claim you will be making.

But she hasn't admitted hitting the OP's car so if she just denies it then the up to won't get anything without witnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Patww79 wrote: »
    But she hasn't admitted hitting the OP's car so if she just denies it then the up to won't get anything without witnesses.

Not correct.

The MIBI agreement extends to unidentified drivers (hit and runs)

In this instance we have a driver identified and damage to both cars, the Gardai also have been notified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

McCrack wrote: »
    Not correct.

The MIBI agreement extends to unidentified drivers (hit and runs)

In this instance we have a driver identified and damage to both cars, the Gardai also have been notified.

Not fully accurate. The MIBI agreements extend to hit and runs only for injury claims. For property claims, the other party has to be identified as being uninsured, as it has been here.

In this instance, it should be easy confirm that they other party were uninsured, via the reg number. However, you must then establish that the other party was at fault. From the circumstances described in this instance, it shouldn't be too hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭honda boi

Couldn't she just say she was never involved in an accident with the op?

honda boi wrote: »

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If she had no tax or insurance, sure what's to say she'd even admit to having a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

honda boi wrote: »

Yep. And do him for some crap like false imprisonment the way the legal system in this country works.

I think the OP is aware that she can deny the incident and is trying to cover his bases. I've a dash can at the front, looks like I'll need to invest in a rear one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭FDave

Is the damage to the front of her car and the rear of yours not enough to collaborate your version of events. Maybe there is some paint transfer on your car you could show the insurance adjuster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

FDave wrote: »
    Is the damage to the front of her car and the rear of yours not enough to collaborate your version of events. Maybe there is some paint transfer on your car you could show the insurance adjuster.

It would be, and this is how it would have been sorted out before dashcams, but having footage would be no harm, and would help bolster the OPs version of events, so I think they're doing the right thing in looking to see if they can get their hands on some. It's not a necessity, but it certainly would be a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Surely this Good Samaritan saw something, otherwise why did they help you box her in?

Otherwise, the damage to the cars should tell its own story.

Advertisement